• =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_=E2=80=9CHare=2Dbrained=E2=80=9D_segregated_bike_path_w

From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 18 13:11:09 2023
    Peowpeowpeowlasers | 2 min ago
    0 likes

Once, just once, I'd like to see a council support such schemes by saying "oh just fuck right off you miserable car addicted bastards. Fuck off into the sea and don't come back"

hawkinspeter | 3 hours ago
    3 likes

I don't quite understand the logic involved. Pedestrians are more likely to be hit by drivers than cyclists, so surely increasing the number of cyclists and reducing the number of drivers will decrease the number of collisions and certainly the
    seriousness of any collisions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 18 22:55:06 2023
    QUOTE: muhasib | 7 hours ago
    0 likes

"I accept that the scheme is of high quality"

"This hare brained scheme"

If he can disagree with himself in the same article then his party is probably in even worse disunity than I had hoped for. ENDS

Quite so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 19 03:23:03 2023
    This is local to me.

The road in question is not a commuting route, its a destination. Its just a long destination. If you want to get from North Shields or Tynemouth to Whitley Bay theres a more direct route just inland - the A193. Its ammusing that some of the comments
    to the article state that this is the only alternative they'll have if the coast is busy - becuse having 2 direct options for vehicles obviously isn't enough... I would only go this way from Whitley if I happened to be on the east side of whitley - you
    go past the A193 to get to this road from the west. In Tynemouth the two roads start at the same place at the top of front street.

Commuting traffic is not huge making the full journey from one end to the other - at every town along it there is a spur road to the A1058 to get to Newcastle. The bulk of the traffic here is on a weekend from people either coming to the coast or just '
    going for a drive' to look at the coast. (Surely traffic jams would be a bonus for them as they'll have more time to stare out of the window). ITs nose to tail most weekends already. The scheme is actually only taking a small amount of road space - and
    in the area its going down to one lane theres an alternative road around it to the North end of Tynemouth.

Any gripes about this is just the usual 'but cars'.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 19 08:21:14 2023
    John Hgl | 4 hours ago
    0 likes

When cycle routes are safe people will use them. Some routes, like Portsmouth are just dangerous. I messaged the council a year ago with no response. Messaged Sustrans and was told, not our problem, contact the council.
    I found it safer to use the roads than the cycle route.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to Brian on Fri Oct 20 03:42:55 2023
    On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 10:03:17 AM UTC+1, Brian wrote:

Whitely Bay is one of the ‘posh areas’. Referring to someone as a ‘Whitely
    Bay Geordie’ suggests they are middle class.

As a local, you should know that it is called "Whitley Bay".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 20 03:40:26 2023
    Lozcan | 1 day ago
    1 like

At least all the Tories will be dead soon.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05