• Hove businesses face losing car parking spaces for Beryl Bike dock

From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 14 03:42:14 2023
    Businesses have expressed their outrage at plans to remove parking spaces for Beryl Bike racks.

Two car parking spaces could be removed to allow for a rack allowing for eight electric bikes outside shops in Northease Drive, Hove.

It comes as Brighton and Hove City Council looks to expand its Beryl Bikes scheme across the city.

The family-run businesses have branded the plan to remove parking from outside their shops as “totally crazy”.

The Argus: The Beryl Bike dock will take a 12 metre by two metre space, approximately two car parking spaces.

Lisa Newman, 52, who runs wellbeing business The Space, said: “We have lots of newborns coming in, people need parking as they come from all over Sussex.

“We have lots of people with mobility issues coming to see the osteopath.

“There are a lot of people who cannot just walk here, they can’t just jump on a bike. It feels totally crazy. We already have limited parking spaces already. To take two and a half away just seems ridiculous.

“I’m a big cyclist, I really agree with it for the environment, for health. We are not against cycling. We need them somewhere around here but not on our business parking spaces.”

Sarah Marsh, 51, has run soft furnishing business Rosemary-Anne for 22 years with business partner Shirley Williams, 74.

They said they have a lot of elderly customers who require parking, as well as regular deliveries.

Sarah said: “We have sofas delivered, fabric delivered, lots of elderly customers coming in. Next door Neil has people coming and going constantly.

“We deliberately have our business out of the town for our customers to be able to park. People are bringing fabric. We always have heavy rolls of fabric delivered too.

“There’s been no dialogue with us. A chap came round putting the signs up last Thursday, that was the first we knew of it.”

Neil Patel, 35, runs convenience store Oscars on the Green.

He took over the business which was opened by his parents 35 years ago.

He said: “I have private land at the front, I spoke with one of the council officers about it. I don’t really want it to be there but if it’s an option I can give them, I would think about it to save the parking spaces.

“There is a better option down the road near the entrance to Greenleas Park.”

The council's proposal will also look to bring cycle docking places into Hampstead Road near Preston Park, Queens Park Terrace and Graham Avenue in Portslade.

Lead councillor for transport Trevor Muten said: “Our proposal for a new Beryl BTN Bike hub in Northease Drive is just that – a proposal.

“That’s why we’re talking and listening to our local communities there and across the city and asking people for their comments.

“We’ll take all comments into account and look at all practical solutions and options before any final decision is made.

“Some Beryl hubs are in locations where the previous scheme had hubs. Others are new to encourage city-wide access to residents in all wards.

“Our bike hire scheme – which includes electric bikes – provides more choice for residents and visitors travelling around our city.

“We believe it will encourage more people to choose cycling as their active travel preference, as they consider their lower carbon transport options in response to the climate emergency.

“We want our Beryl BTN bike scheme to be a truly city-wide offer, and we want to give people who want to use it the best possible access to it.”

Beryl Bikes said it works to ensure their infrastructure “best serves the needs of the city and our users”.

A spokesman said: “We believe that by redesigning and rebalancing our streets to prioritise active travel, we can help to make them more desirable places to be.

“Footfall, consumer spending and economic activity can all be increased by making high streets and city centres more pleasant places to walk, cycle or spend time in.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23851788.hove-businesses-face-losing-car-parking-spaces-beryl-bike-dock/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)