• Speeding driver who screamed at cyclist after hitting and leaving him w

From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 09:31:45 2023
    A speeding driver who drove straight into a cyclist in Shrewsbury and then got out of the car, shouted swear words at him and accused him of being at fault, has been spared jail but disqualified from driving for 18 months.

The collision has left Edward Cooper with serious and life-changing injuries, rendering him unable to do activities like riding a bike or surf. He's even facing difficulties playing with his daughter.

Cooper, a teacher at Shrewsbury College and an experienced cyclist, was cycling back home around 5:30PM in December last year. Tyler Maddox, 27, of Shrewsbury was driving his white Audi A3 on a road parallel to Sundorne Road when he hit Cooper.

Maddox had driven into Cooper as he travelled towards him, throwing the cyclist onto the bonnet, before he rolled underneath the bumper.

The prosecutor told the court that witnesses had described Maddox as going over the 30mph speed limit – with the Judge accepting that he was travelling at around 40mph. Maddox had slowed the vehicle as the collision took place but added that the bike
    was thrown three metres into the air.

He told the court that Maddox had then gotten out of the car and shouted "What the f*** are you playing at" to the stricken cyclist.

Police examinations of Maddox's vehicle found its stopping distance could have been affected because its tyres were under inflated, one had insufficient tread depth, while the windscreen had a large sun strip, which officers were concerned would have
    limited the view, the Shropshire Star (link is external) reports.

It's not sure when, or if Cooper will be able to make a full recovery. As of now, he has only been able to return to work for six hours a week — an experience which he said leaves him drained. Besides, he is no longer able to surf or cycle, and has
    difficulties in playing with his young daughter.

The inability to work had also cost him thousands of pounds in wages, with Cooper saying that he was worried about his financial stability in the future as a result of his injury.

The mitigator for Maddox said that his client faced a momentary lapse in concentration, adding: "He has reflected on it and I will say from the outset he is genuinely remorseful for what happened.

"He is someone who in this situation unfortunately made an error of judgement that brings him before the court and he has to accept his part in that, and the implications for Mr Cooper.

"I would suggest he was somewhat immature in his actions on the day in question but I would suggest he has grown up since, quite significantly."

The mitigator then urged the Judge to suspend the sentence, saying: "He is someone genuinely petrified at the prospect of going into custody."

The Judge concluded that Maddox was driving "too fast for the conditions", and that Cooper was riding his bike quite properly the other way along that road, and "was wearing proper reflective gear and that included a top, and had his lights on".

"Your first reaction when that happened was to get out of your car and shout at him," the judge said, adding that in the subsequent interviews with police and probation officers, Maddox was still claiming it was his [Cooper's] fault.

The Judge concluded that the incident had not been deliberate and that Maddox "does not pose a danger to the public and has a realistic prospect of rehabilitation".

He said: "I have reached the view, on balance, with all these factors, yours is a case I do not have to impose an immediate custodial sentence."

Maddox was sentenced to four months in prison suspended for 18 months.

He will have to complete 10 rehabilitation requirement days, 150 hours of unpaid work, and pay £535 costs. He was also disqualified from driving for 18 months, backdated to include an interim disqualification on August 16.

https://road.cc/content/news/speeding-driver-screamed-cyclist-after-hitting-304373

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Mon Oct 9 17:43:46 2023
    On 09/10/2023 05:31 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
    A speeding driver who drove straight into a cyclist in Shrewsbury and then got out of the car, shouted swear words at him and accused him of being at fault, has been spared jail but disqualified from driving for 18 months.

The collision has left Edward Cooper with serious and life-changing injuries, rendering him unable to do activities like riding a bike or surf. He's even facing difficulties playing with his daughter.

Cooper, a teacher at Shrewsbury College and an experienced cyclist, was cycling back home around 5:30PM in December last year. Tyler Maddox, 27, of Shrewsbury was driving his white Audi A3 on a road parallel to Sundorne Road when he hit Cooper.

Maddox had driven into Cooper as he travelled towards him, throwing the cyclist onto the bonnet, before he rolled underneath the bumper.

The prosecutor told the court that witnesses had described Maddox as going over the 30mph speed limit – with the Judge accepting that he was travelling at around 40mph. Maddox had slowed the vehicle as the collision took place but added that the bike
    was thrown three metres into the air.

Did the "witnesses" have radar-based speed measurement equipment about
    their persons?

He told the court that Maddox had then gotten out of the car and shouted "What the f*** are you playing at" to the stricken cyclist.

Police examinations of Maddox's vehicle found its stopping distance could have been affected because its tyres were under inflated, one had insufficient tread depth, while the windscreen had a large sun strip, which officers were concerned would have
    limited the view, the Shropshire Star (link is external) reports.

It's not sure when, or if Cooper will be able to make a full recovery. As of now, he has only been able to return to work for six hours a week — an experience which he said leaves him drained. Besides, he is no longer able to surf or cycle, and has
    difficulties in playing with his young daughter.

The inability to work had also cost him thousands of pounds in wages, with Cooper saying that he was worried about his financial stability in the future as a result of his injury.

The mitigator for Maddox said that his client faced a momentary lapse in concentration, adding: "He has reflected on it and I will say from the outset he is genuinely remorseful for what happened.

"He is someone who in this situation unfortunately made an error of judgement that brings him before the court and he has to accept his part in that, and the implications for Mr Cooper.

"I would suggest he was somewhat immature in his actions on the day in question but I would suggest he has grown up since, quite significantly."

The mitigator then urged the Judge to suspend the sentence, saying: "He is someone genuinely petrified at the prospect of going into custody."

The Judge concluded that Maddox was driving "too fast for the conditions", and that Cooper was riding his bike quite properly the other way along that road, and "was wearing proper reflective gear and that included a top, and had his lights on".

"Your first reaction when that happened was to get out of your car and shout at him," the judge said, adding that in the subsequent interviews with police and probation officers, Maddox was still claiming it was his [Cooper's] fault.

The Judge concluded that the incident had not been deliberate and that Maddox "does not pose a danger to the public and has a realistic prospect of rehabilitation".

He said: "I have reached the view, on balance, with all these factors, yours is a case I do not have to impose an immediate custodial sentence."

Maddox was sentenced to four months in prison suspended for 18 months.

He will have to complete 10 rehabilitation requirement days, 150 hours of unpaid work, and pay £535 costs. He was also disqualified from driving for 18 months, backdated to include an interim disqualification on August 16.

https://road.cc/content/news/speeding-driver-screamed-cyclist-after-hitting-304373

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 10:04:22 2023
    eburtthebike | 8 min ago
    1 like
    "The mitigator for Maddox said that his client faced a momentary lapse in concentration......." Gosh, that's all right then, never heard of that before.

"He has reflected on it and I will say from the outset he is genuinely remorseful for what happened." Honestly he is. Very, very remorseful.

"The mitigator then urged the Judge to suspend the sentence, saying: "He is someone genuinely petrified at the prospect of going into custody."" So don't break the law multiple times, don't hit and severely injure an innocent victim and don't blame them
    for your gross incompetence.

I'm left wondering exactly who Tyler Maddox knows.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 11:03:02 2023
    mctrials23 wrote:

"Upon hearing that he was actually at fault and that he would be treated more leniently if he pretends to give a shit about the victim, my client has instructed me to tell the court that he is very remorseful and you can't imagine the pain he has
    suffered as a result of this momentary lapse in concentration where he didn't maintain his car, broke the speed limit, didn't pay attention to the road and then screamed at his badly injured victim."

A similar translation should be read out in court by the prosecution every time the defence tries this bullshit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Mon Oct 9 18:30:17 2023
    Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

A speeding driver who drove straight into a cyclist in Shrewsbury and
    then got out of the car, shouted swear words at him and accused him of
    being at fault, has been spared jail but disqualified from driving for 18 months.

The collision has left Edward Cooper with serious and life-changing
    injuries, rendering him unable to do activities like riding a bike or
    surf. He's even facing difficulties playing with his daughter.

That last sentence could be better phrased.

Oh! Road.cc again… 🙄

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Mon Oct 9 18:32:31 2023
    mctrials23 wrote:

"Upon hearing that he was actually at fault and that he would be
    treated more leniently if he pretends to give a shit about the victim, my client has instructed me to tell the court that he is very remorseful and
    you can't imagine the pain he has suffered as a result of this momentary lapse in concentration where he didn't maintain his car, broke the speed limit, didn't pay attention to the road and then screamed at his badly injured victim."

A similar translation should be read out in court by the prosecution
    every time the defence tries this bullshit.

“…he didn't maintain his car…”

Where have we heard that before?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 12:03:30 2023
    Sriracha replied to perce | 1 hour ago
    6 likes

But it wasn't a "monentary" lapse. The vision-restricting ornamentation across the windscreen, the under inflated tyres, the (presumably) illegally low tread depth, and indeed the ongoing affirmation to exceed the speed limit - none of these was
    momentary. By saying it was a momentary lapse is to deny all of the factors leading up to the collision. If the perpetrator is in denial why should he be excused time in prison, at least until he can accept the truth?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 12:02:36 2023
    Hirsute | 54 min ago
    1 like

I'm confused as to how he hit him on the wrong side of the road and how this amounts to a lack of concentration.
    Or did he turn out of a junction into him?

Just another example of the war on hard working motorists.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 12:06:19 2023
    hawkinspeter wrote:

I still don't understand why people voted for Sunak

They didn't. The tory party voted for Truss. Tory MPs voted for Sunak, and given the choice, who can blame them?

"DEMOCRACY", EH?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 13:53:06 2023
    Some interesting comments on their Facebook post about the article.

Screenshots of his now-private TikTok with a photo/video of his car parked for a photo in the road and the text "when they take your licence but not your keys".

Another is a video of his car doing a burnout on the public road:

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/387869367_10160183322711387_1964910179682741197_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjHRFWONOo&t=568s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Mon Oct 9 20:37:58 2023
    hawkinspeter wrote:

I still don't understand why people voted for Sunak

They didn't. The tory party voted for Truss. Tory MPs voted for Sunak,
    and given the choice, who can blame them?

"DEMOCRACY", EH?

It can get a little bit like the EU at times…somewhat remote.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Tue Oct 10 07:28:37 2023
    Some interesting comments on their Facebook post about the article.

Screenshots of his now-private TikTok with a photo/video of his car
    parked for a photo in the road and the text "when they take your licence
    but not your keys".

Another is a video of his car doing a burnout on the public road:

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/387869367_10160183322711387_1964910179682741197_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjHRFWONOo&t=568s

Ah! They are holding a time trial! Just like cyclists do!

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 10 03:01:32 2023
    Smoggysteve | 1 hour ago
    2 likes

New Rule:

If anyone involved in a road collison is driving a White Audi A3 they are automatically culpable for the incident. This is due to most people who drive white Audi A3s as an accident waiting to happen.

Only exception to this rule is if the other vehicle involved is a Vauxhall Corsa with a body kit. In which case all around can rejoice that 2 of the gits have been taken off the streets.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Tue Oct 10 10:38:01 2023
    Smoggysteve | 1 hour ago
    2 likes

New Rule:

If anyone involved in a road collison is driving a White Audi A3 they are automatically culpable for the incident. This is due to most people who
    drive white Audi A3s as an accident waiting to happen.

Only exception to this rule is if the other vehicle involved is a
    Vauxhall Corsa with a body kit. In which case all around can rejoice that
    2 of the gits have been taken off the streets.

And cyclists wonder why they are perceived as Lycra Loonies.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 10 05:51:44 2023
    Many years ago I was involved with firearms (target shooting, former international no less!), if you had a "momentary lapse in concentration" and shot someone you could bet you'd lose your gun licence for life as a first step let alone the further
    sanctions, why is it that a "momentary lapse" in the arguably much more dangerous pursuit of driving a ton of lethal metal on the road at high speed doesn't incur the same?

==============
    Or with airline pilots?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Spike on Tue Oct 10 14:27:59 2023
    On 09/10/2023 07:32 pm, Spike wrote:
    mctrials23 wrote:

treated more leniently if he pretends to give a shit about the victim, my
    client has instructed me to tell the court that he is very remorseful and
    you can't imagine the pain he has suffered as a result of this momentary
    lapse in concentration where he didn't maintain his car, broke the speed
    limit, didn't pay attention to the road and then screamed at his badly injured victim."

:-)

Does he ever stop and THINK before engaging his mouth?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to JNugent on Tue Oct 10 14:12:31 2023
    JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
    On 09/10/2023 07:32 pm, Spike wrote:
    mctrials23 wrote:

treated more leniently if he pretends to give a shit about the victim, my >>> client has instructed me to tell the court that he is very remorseful and >>> you can't imagine the pain he has suffered as a result of this momentary >>> lapse in concentration where he didn't maintain his car, broke the speed >>> limit, didn't pay attention to the road and then screamed at his badly injured victim."

:-)

Does he ever stop and THINK before engaging his mouth?

A rhetorical question, of course!

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Tue Oct 10 14:19:57 2023
    Many years ago I was involved with firearms (target shooting, former international no less!), if you had a "momentary lapse in concentration"
    and shot someone you could bet you'd lose your gun licence for life as a first step let alone the further sanctions, why is it that a "momentary lapse" in the arguably much more dangerous pursuit of driving a ton of
    lethal metal on the road at high speed doesn't incur the same?

=============Or with airline pilots?

This guy’s excuse for shooting someone ‘accidentally’ (in the armed forces
    it would be classed as ‘negligent’, but that’s a bad look for these highly-trained people) was that he was wearing heavy gloves and couldn’t really feel the trigger. He wasn’t sanctioned…

Early on Friday, 2 June 2006, police raided two houses on Lansdown Road,
    Forest Gate, London, acting on intelligence that there was a chemical
    weapon located at the premises.[3] Under the authority of the Terrorism
    Act, they arrested brothers Mohammed Abdul Kahar, 23, and Abdul Koyair,
    20.[4] During the raid, Kahar was shot in the shoulder (some sources
    mention "chest"[5] based on Mr Kahar's comment of "There was blood coming
    down my chest."[6]) by the police and was taken to the Royal London
    Hospital. Initial press rumours suggested that he had been shot by his brother,[7] but the police later stated that the shot had been fired accidentally by the armed officer leading the operation.[8] Two hundred and fifty police officers were involved in the raid.[9]
    ENDQUOTE

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Gate_raid>

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 10 09:03:43 2023
    Simon E replied to bikes | 40 min ago
    0 likes

bikes wrote:

I can't make sense of the description of the collision. Was he driving on the wrong side of the road and hit the cyclist head-on?

If it's where I think it is (the only road I'd describe as parallel to Sundorne Road), it's a relatively narrow strip in front of a row of houses. I've ridden along there a good number of times. [street view (link is external)]

If that's the location of the incident then there is absolutely no reason to drive along there except to access one of the houses. Doing 30 mph or more would be really dangerous. And people wonder why we campaign for a 20 mph limit in urban areas...

Chances are the arrogant Audi driver pulled out to go around one of the parked cars and refused to slow down for the oncoming cyclist. It would not be a "momentary lapse in concentration", as claimed by the defence, it would be deliberate.

An 18 month driving ban for someone like Tyler Maddox is pathetic. It should be 5 years minimum and that fucker needs to learn to walk places. Or maybe ride a bike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05