• Power Switch: Fulham handyman service says e-cargo bikes are "10 times

From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 4 13:01:36 2023
    Fulham firm ManMaid is using e-cargo bikes instead of vans to deliver carpentry, tiling and plumbing services, while also cutting travel time, costs and air pollution. Founder and CEO Mungo Morgan says that, “with the heavy traffic and the congestion,
    during rush hour, we’re 10 times quicker than a van would be”.

Cargo bikes come with cheaper running costs and do not require a driving licence, with Morgan saying that he previously spent more than £7,000 a year in parking fees: “that pays for a new bike in itself.”

Morgan founded ManMaid seven years ago. “Most of my time was spent in the van,” he said. “I thought, ‘there's got to be a better way to get around’”.

ebiketips’ regular feature Power Switch focuses on people and companies who have turned to electric vehicles, including Dr Jonathan Leach who used to drive to his surgery and then complete all his house calls by car. He’s now switched to a Brompton
    folding e-bike for both.

Speaking to Cycling UK, Leach listed three main benefits of using an e-bike: speed, health and cost. “Having an electric bike makes commuting to and from work a lot quicker,” he said. “I’m able to bypass traffic congestion in the town centre,
    which is a huge bonus – especially at rush hour.”

Have you or your business made the switch to an electric vehicle or vehicles of some kind? Maybe you’ve sold your car and you’re taking the kids to school on an e-bike these days. Maybe your firm has started doing all its deliveries by e-cargo bike.
    Whatever your story, we’d love to hear from you. Email us at info at info@ebiketips.co.uk to let us know how it’s gone.

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/power-switch-fulham-handyman-service-says-e-cargo-bikes-are-10-times-quicker-than-a-van

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 5 00:00:12 2023
    On 04/10/2023 09:01 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

"...Fulham handyman service says e-cargo bikes are "10 times quicker
    than a van"...".

Even from London to Nottingham?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 4 23:31:15 2023
    London plumber Shane Topley was inspired to test out an e-cargo bike after seeing the benefits of reduced motor traffic during the first lockdown last year. “I expected to do something between 50 and 60 per cent of my business by bicycle,” he says.
    But I’ve actually discovered it’s closer to 95 per cent.”

It’s safe to say he’s a convert, describing an e-cargo bike as an “invigorating” way to get around.

“Every time I get on it, I’m blown away,” he says. “It’s amazing.”

Topley first got in touch with East London organisation CarryMe Bikes, which sells and rents out cargo bikes and e-cargo bikes. They spoke to him at length about what sort of a bike would suit his needs.

He doesn’t appear to have looked back and says that since getting his first e-cargo bike, he’s only used his van twice.

“Both times I’ve been seriously disappointed because one time it took me 40 minutes to find somewhere to park. Another time it was just wall-to-wall traffic.

“So I feel rather smug, I have to say, as I cruise down past all the cars that are nose to tail.”

Topley concedes that reduced cargo capacity means he has to plan his day a little more carefully, but argues that this isn’t necessarily such a bad thing.
    freestar

He now tries to consolidate his work, scheduling multiple boiler services on the same day, for example.

“It does mean a little more running back and forth. But actually that’s quite nice because it brings me home for lunch, which is really lovely.”

Reflecting on his e-bike switch, he concludes: “Everybody should be doing it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Thu Oct 5 10:29:18 2023
    Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

London plumber Shane Topley was inspired to test out an e-cargo bike
    after seeing the benefits of reduced motor traffic during the first
    lockdown last year. “I expected to do something between 50 and 60 per
    cent of my business by bicycle,” he says. “But I’ve actually discovered it’s closer to 95 per cent.”

Why not aim for 110%?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 5 03:45:22 2023
    Farr Out Deliveries are an Edinburgh-based, worker-owned, e-cargo bike delivery service. They were founded in early 2020 during the first coronavirus lockdown.

Farr Out – “Edinburgh’s raddest cargo bike courier outfit” – was founded by former bike builder, David Squire and festival/events producer, Alex Fitzhowle, together with lighting designer, Fraser Martin, who has since moved on to other things.

“It was three local Edinburgh lads that love their city; who live, work, spend their time and money locally,” explained Squire.

“We set up the business out of necessity, as a way to support ourselves after losing the majority of our contracts and income for 2020, effectively overnight – as well as from a desire to do something good and make a difference.

“We all had the idea independently, but came to the decision the day of the first UK lockdown. We collected three borrowed bikes on the 14th of April, and did our first deliveries on the 16th of April 2020.”

Squire said the three men had sensed that Edinburgh businesses would be receptive to the idea.

“There’s a real need and desire in our city to move towards more sustainable practices. We’re actively reducing pollution levels and congestion on a daily basis by providing a genuine alternative to deliveries made by van.

“Alex has a background in food and drink also, so saw the trend of businesses moving towards a delivery only model – in particular, businesses he had dealt with in his events capacity needing to completely change their business model to survive. From
    there it just grew and grew.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05