• Boy, seven, killed in horror smash after being hit by a BMW

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 31 12:04:00 2023
    A 'car mad' little boy has died after being hit by a BMW in a village near Huddersfield and getting 'trapped underneath' the car while playing in the street with friends just yards from his home.

Jack Rooke, seven, died today after being hit by the black BMW X4 on Longfield Avenue, in the village of Golcar, West Yorkshire at 6pm yesterday evening.

The young boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries but was pronounced dead a short time later. Flowers and toy cars have been laid at the scene of the accident by heartbroken friends and relatives.

The driver of the BMW, a man in his 30s, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving. The suspect remains in custody while officers continue to investigate the incident, West Yorkshire Police said.

Officers are continuing to support Jack's family during this 'dreadful time' and request that their privacy be respected.

Residents reported that Jack had became trapped underneath the BMW as they said several police and fire crews responded to the scene.

A neighbour said: 'The first thing I knew was when the fire engine turned up. It is absolutely shocking he was car mad.

'I often saw him playing in the street. I could not believe when I saw him being given CPR by the side of the road. He was a lovely little boy.'

Jack, who lived just 150 yards away from the scene of the tragedy, lost consciousness after being struck on the quiet residential street yesterday afternoon.

He was airlifted to hospital by air ambulance but died shortly afterwards despite frantic attempts to save his life.

Air Ambulance medics scrambled to the Golcar area of Huddersfield at around 6pm. He was pronounced dead a short time later.

Flowers, toys, notes, a teddy bear and child's drawings from his friends have now been left on the pavement under a garden hedge in a makeshift memorial to the youngster.

One heart-breaking note read: 'Gone from our sight but never our hearts. Just a young boy playing with friends - far too young to leave your family and friends.

'Thought it was right to leave some cars for you. I know they were your favourite. We will do all we can to support your family. RIP Jack.'

Police are now appealing for witness to the crash and have urged anyone with information to contact them.

Anyone with footage of the incident that may assist the investigation is urged to contact the force.

'The Major Collision Enquiry Team is investigating the incident and is asking for any witnesses to the collision, or what happened prior to it, to contact them on 101, or by using the livechat facility on the West Yorkshire Police website, quoting log
    1378 of 30 August,' West Yorkshire Police said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12466257/Boy-seven-dies-hit-BMW-getting-trapped-underneath-horror-crash-driver-arrested.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)