• Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close pas

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 26 11:46:24 2023
    Today's Near Miss of the Day sounds like the start of a bad joke... a driver, a trucker, a farmer and a cyclist roll through the Welsh countryside...

No punchline, I'm afraid, just a near miss on two fronts — a close pass on a cyclist, and a motorist lucky to avoid a head-on collision with an HGV.

This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it resulted in the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their licence, before the case was due in court.

It was reported to Operation SNAP after the cyclist recorded the incident on the B4302 in Carmarthenshire last September.

"At the particular section of road the incident happened, it is well sighted," the cyclist said. "When starting the overtake the driver would have clearly seen the HGV approaching. There was space to pull in behind me, but instead they chose to pass
    closely."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-873-303487

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 27 08:05:37 2023
    Unfortunately, this account doesn’t mention what the passing distance was,
    as it must have been determined by some accurate means, on the grounds that
    the advice on the matter of such passing mentions a specific distance.

swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
    Today's Near Miss of the Day sounds like the start of a bad joke... a
    driver, a trucker, a farmer and a cyclist roll through the Welsh countryside...

No punchline, I'm afraid, just a near miss on two fronts — a close pass
    on a cyclist, and a motorist lucky to avoid a head-on collision with an HGV.

This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it resulted in
    the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their licence, before
    the case was due in court.

It was reported to Operation SNAP after the cyclist recorded the incident
    on the B4302 in Carmarthenshire last September.

"At the particular section of road the incident happened, it is well sighted," the cyclist said. "When starting the overtake the driver would
    have clearly seen the HGV approaching. There was space to pull in behind
    me, but instead they chose to pass closely."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-873-303487

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 27 01:16:57 2023
    Simon E | 5225 posts | 13 hours ago
    4 likes
    Rather similar to something I witnessed this week. I was being followed by a large tractor and decided I'd pull in to the side to let it past. Just as I had stopped an estate car pulled out from behind the tractor to overtake.

Although there was no HGV bearing down in the opposite direction there was a vehicle in sight and the driver had obviously not considered that there might be something in front of the tractor. Impatient twat.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 27 14:33:06 2023
    On 27/08/2023 09:16 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Simon E | 5225 posts | 13 hours ago
    4 likes
    Rather similar to something I witnessed this week. I was being followed by a large tractor and decided I'd pull in to the side to let it past. Just as I had stopped an estate car pulled out from behind the tractor to overtake.

Although there was no HGV bearing down in the opposite direction there was a vehicle in sight and the driver had obviously not considered that there might be something in front of the tractor. Impatient twat.

What does "a vehicle in sight" mean?

[Assuming you know, of course.]

If I can see an oncoming lorry a mile and a half away along a single-carriageway stretch of A5, am I barred from overtaking a chav on
    a chav-bike (heading in the same direction as I am), a move that will
    take a few seconds at most?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 27 07:50:33 2023
    Road.cc wrote:

This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it resulted in the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their licence, before the case was due in court.

GOOD RESULT.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 27 09:08:19 2023
    Operation SNAP is a response to increasing submissions of video and photographic evidence relating to driving offences that members of the public have witnessed. Until now, these reports have been submitted to the police in all sorts of ways and so a
    streamlined process has now been developed to deal with them. This will hopefully make it easier for all involved.

https://gosafesnap.wales/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 27 15:40:32 2023

Road.cc wrote:

This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it
    resulted in the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their licence, before the case was due in court.

GOOD RESULT.

‘Vehicle doesn’t collide with cyclist’ happens all the time.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 27 09:32:37 2023
    Classic case of choosing to ignore the cyclist as a relevant factor in their chance to overtake. Very similar to what went on here:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-871-303337

"The officer asked Allan to resubmit the footage to the relevant force and said he had "viewed the footage, along with my colleagues" and "we are of the opinion that this is a particularly bad piece of driving."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 27 16:25:49 2023
    Operation SNAP is a response to increasing submissions of video and photographic evidence relating to driving offences that members of the
    public have witnessed. Until now, these reports have been submitted to
    the police in all sorts of ways and so a streamlined process has now been developed to deal with them. This will hopefully make it easier for all involved.

https://gosafesnap.wales/

Interestingly, that site doesn’t day it’s limited to motor vehicles, so pavement cycling and RLJing would be acceptable…

Operation SNAP is a response to increasing submissions of video and photographic evidence relating to driving offences that members of the
    public have witnessed. Until now, these reports have been submitted to the police in all sorts of ways and so a streamlined process has now been
    developed to deal with them. This will hopefully make it easier for all involved. Please complete the form below and upload your footage to us.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05