• =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CHow_to_stay_alive_as_a_cyclist_in_North_America?= =?

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 02:18:20 2023
    Images of a man riding across the US with a vast array of lights and technology and the message 'Armed Cyclist' on the back of his jersey has led to discussions about cycling safety, and just how much is too much when it comes to protecting oneself from
    harm on the bike.

The pictures were taken by Jonathan Maus, who explains on his BikePortland (link is external) website that he happened across the 'Armed Cyclist' on the Interstate 90, east of Coeur d’Alene in the US state of Idaho.

"When I looked at the images, I was amazed at what I saw", says Maus.

"This guy was not messing around."

From what we can see, the cyclist appears to have attached over a dozen rear lights, several front lights, computers, mirrors and flags to his bike, the latter presumably to stop drivers from passing him too close. A waistpack with numerous compartments
    around it presumably holds the firearm we're told about on the back of the jersey.

With statistics showing (link is external) that cyclist fatalities have been steadily rising in the US over the past ten years, the extreme set-up has led to some conversations about cyclists' safety in the country, and some mixed reactions. Some praised
    the cyclist for exercising his rights, suggesting that the not-so-subtle warning could do much to deter careless or dangerous drivers, while others expressed dismay that someone would feel the need to take such drastic action to feel safe.

As pointed out by some of those replying to the original Twitter post, it turns out the cyclist in question is James Whelan, a resident of Florida who has built up something of a cult following on his Instagram page and YouTube channel (called Armed
    Cyclist, of course) where he posts images from his cycling trips across America and, sometimes, run-ins with local law enforcement officers.

While the message on the back of Whelan's jersey informs those around him that he is armed, whether his provocative outfit would break any local laws or customs in US states that allow concealed or 'open' carry of firearms is a grey area. Indeed, the
    video above that Whelan uploaded to his YouTube channel in 2020 (that has racked up 3.4 million views at the time of writing) shows two police officers pulling him over due to alleged complaints from members of the public about his Armed Cyclist jersey.
    Whelan refuses their request for identification, saying he is not breaking any laws and goes on his way, leaving the cops "speechless" as he puts it.

Whelan didn't want to comment on his choice of clothing or accessories, but told road.cc that he is currently on a cycling trip across America and has met "great people" along the way. We're assuming he wouldn't count any law enforcement officers who
    might want to disrupt his journey for spurious reasons among them...

https://road.cc/content/news/florida-man-armed-cyclist-jersey-sparks-debate-303035

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 6 11:11:25 2023
    On 06/08/2023 10:18 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Images of a man riding across the US with a vast array of lights and technology and the message 'Armed Cyclist' on the back of his jersey has led to discussions about cycling safety, and just how much is too much when it comes to protecting oneself
    from harm on the bike.

The pictures were taken by Jonathan Maus, who explains on his BikePortland (link is external) website that he happened across the 'Armed Cyclist' on the Interstate 90, east of Coeur d’Alene in the US state of Idaho.

"When I looked at the images, I was amazed at what I saw", says Maus.

"This guy was not messing around."

The chav in question was shattering the law, which as in Europe, does
    not permit chavs to ride their chav-bikes on motorways. The words
    "motorway" and "freeway" are congruent and "freeway" has a specific
    meaning, as does "Interstate".

See also: <https://tinyurl.com/2k8hayy2>

From what we can see, the cyclist appears to have attached over a dozen rear lights, several front lights, computers, mirrors and flags to his bike, the latter presumably to stop drivers from passing him too close. A waistpack with numerous
    compartments around it presumably holds the firearm we're told about on the back of the jersey.

With statistics showing (link is external) that cyclist fatalities have been steadily rising in the US over the past ten years, the extreme set-up has led to some conversations about cyclists' safety in the country, and some mixed reactions. Some
    praised the cyclist for exercising his rights, suggesting that the not-so-subtle warning could do much to deter careless or dangerous drivers, while others expressed dismay that someone would feel the need to take such drastic action to feel safe.
    As pointed out by some of those replying to the original Twitter post, it turns out the cyclist in question is James Whelan, a resident of Florida who has built up something of a cult following on his Instagram page and YouTube channel (called Armed
    Cyclist, of course) where he posts images from his cycling trips across America and, sometimes, run-ins with local law enforcement officers.

Remember the above URL <https://tinyurl.com/2k8hayy2>?

QUOTE:
    Bicycle Traffic Law
    Overview of Florida Laws for Cyclists
    In Florida the bicycle is legally defined as a vehicle and the bicyclist
    is a driver. Bicyclists have the same rights to the roadways, and must
    obey the same traffic laws as the drivers of other vehicles. These laws
    include stopping for stop signs and red lights, riding with the flow of traffic, using lights at night, yielding the right-of-way when entering
    a roadway and yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks.
    ENDQUOTE

They have a sense of humour in Florida, then.

And there is this:

QUOTE:
    Operation on limited access highways

[§316.091] No person shall operate a bicycle on a limited access
    facility, except as otherwise provided. No person shall operate a
    bicycle on an interstate highway.
    ENDQUOTE

"No person shall operate a bicycle on an interstate highway."

Got that?

"No person shall operate a bicycle on an interstate highway."

I-90 is an Interstate Highway.

What rights to other, legitimate, road-users have when they fear that he presents an unacceptable risk to themselves or their family members?

Texas rules, perhaps?

While the message on the back of Whelan's jersey informs those around him that he is armed, whether his provocative outfit would break any local laws or customs in US states that allow concealed or 'open' carry of firearms is a grey area. Indeed, the
    video above that Whelan uploaded to his YouTube channel in 2020 (that has racked up 3.4 million views at the time of writing) shows two police officers pulling him over due to alleged complaints from members of the public about his Armed Cyclist jersey.
    Whelan refuses their request for identification, saying he is not breaking any laws and goes on his way, leaving the cops "speechless" as he puts it.

Whelan didn't want to comment on his choice of clothing or accessories, but told road.cc that he is currently on a cycling trip across America and has met "great people" along the way. We're assuming he wouldn't count any law enforcement officers who
    might want to disrupt his journey for spurious reasons among them...

https://road.cc/content/news/florida-man-armed-cyclist-jersey-sparks-debate-303035

Any journalist capable of producing an article supportive of that
    lawbreaking chav is quite bad enough to be writing for the journal for illiterates: road.cc.

Oh... hang on...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 03:44:52 2023
    yupiteru | 212 posts | 1 hour ago

I know how he feels.

I used to carry a blank firing 22 starting pistol/revolver in the 80's to frighten attacking dogs off mainly, but one or two motorists got the six shot routine. (so satistying)

Used to work very well, unfortunately it was stolen in a burglary along with my Bowie knife, machete, hunting crossbow and replica blank firing 357 magnum handgun. (Strangely they left my Weihrauch HW 35 air rifle which was worth the most!)

Police caught the culprits (neighbours) and returned my replica blank firing 357 magnum but never recovered the other stuff. (did get a victim payment)

Obviously society has changed since then and it would be frowned upon these days to do such a thing, (so I would not recommend it) but luckily I do not see so many unaccompanied savage dogs around the place like I used to.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 04:36:48 2023
    "911 what's your emergency"?
    "There's a man riding a bike with a sign that says armed cyclist and he has bright lights"
    "Is he breaking any laws"
    "Not that I can tell, but it just seems strange"
    "Well Sir/Ma'am unless you've witnessed a crime or possible crime, this would be a waste of our man power"
    "So there's nothing you can do"
    "Absolutely nothing... Good day"

This is how the calls should go. They need to brief their call takers on the law and how to vett calls before dispatching police to a scene of not even a possible crime.
    THE END

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK0Yu7Qk1HU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 05:58:39 2023
    Violence, often of the extreme kind, is practiced every day by drivers of lethal weapons all over the world against pedestrians and cyclists and tolerated by society but everyone loses their s**t when a lone cyclist puts on a 'armed cyclist' shirt, a
    few extra lights and a close pass flag?

We might not have guns in the UK but we are just as bad as the US. I recently complained to a driver that he had nearly hit me with his car so he got out and tried to hit me with a golf club!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 12:20:30 2023
    @saints2superbowl757
    9 months ago
    Nothing was going to happen anyways, they were just asking questions in response to complaints...they certainly weren't dirty cops. I hope the "advertising" on your back wasn't as misleading as the title of this video

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 6 13:28:02 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
    Violence, often of the extreme kind, is practiced every day by
    drivers of lethal weapons all over the world against pedestrians and
    cyclists and tolerated by society but everyone loses their s**t when a
    lone cyclist puts on a 'armed cyclist' shirt, a few extra lights and a close pass flag?

We might not have guns in the UK but we are just as bad as the US. I
    recently complained to a driver that he had nearly hit me with his car so
    he got out and tried to hit me with a golf club!

Pedestrians get put on the ground, or killed, when they complain to
    cyclists driving on the pavement.

So what’s so holier-than-thou about the above?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 08:29:46 2023
    Ed
    @CajunCy
    ·
    Aug 1
    Pretty sure I saw this same guy riding on the shoulder of I-90 in South Dakota a couple weeks ago.

Aug 1
    Sucks that a person on a bike has to be armed, have 2 flags and a dozen tail lights to be able to claim a bit of public space to ride in the US among distracted entitled planet/people killing car drivers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 6 17:27:25 2023
    On 06/08/2023 12:36 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

"911 what's your emergency"?

"There's a man riding a bike with a sign that says armed cyclist and he has bright lights"

"Is he breaking any laws"

"Well, yes, he is... and it just seems strange"

"Well Sir/Ma'am unless you've witnessed a crime or possible crime, this would be a waste of our man power"
    "So there's nothing you can do"

"I said he WAS breaking a law... he was riding a chav-bike on the I-90 Freeway..."

"Oh, that's different. That's a misdemeanour. We'll pass the word on to the Florida Highway patrol and State Troopers immediately. Thanks for letting us know".

THIS is how the calls should go.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 09:58:46 2023
    Rendel Harris replied to chrisonatrike | 5114 posts | 2 hours ago
    2 likes

A mate of mine who lives in Washington DC found himself stuck in a small town in Texas and to kill time went into a gun store (he hates guns, was just curious). He was looking at a semi-automatic 7.62mm assault rifle when the salesman came up and said, "
    Y'all interested in guns as a hobby or for killin' bad dudes? 'Cos that's a good gun but it's more a hobbyist gun, y'know?" A hobbyist assault rifle...

:-/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 6 09:56:58 2023
    Owd Big 'Ead | 332 posts | 1 hour ago
    2 likes

I cycled from the southern tip of Argentina to the far north of Alaska 20 years ago and only ever felt threatened while riding in the good old US of A.

Sad that a cyclist thinks this get up is the only way to stay safe on the road, but it says more about the country he travels through than the individual himself. Having said that, such a set up would come in quite useful in South Africa.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05