• Isle of Wight ferry firm Wightlink's bikes policy questioned

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 05:58:09 2023
    Suck it up - bikes are always let off first for safety reasons. ========================
    I find Wightlink's policy of allowing cyclists to disembark their ferries ahead of motorists puzzling in the extreme and wonder what it is motivated by.

Clearly it can't be for safety reasons as allowing, for example 20 cycles off only to be overtaken by 60/70 cars, often on narrow roads makes absolutely no sense and is exposing cyclists to needless levels of danger.

I have pointed this out to Wightlink on a couple of occasions but never received a response despite advertising for customer feedback.

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/23667552.isle-wight-ferry-firm-wightlinks-bikes-policy-questioned/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 23 15:05:58 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

Suck it up - bikes are always let off first for safety reasons.

But whose safety is being managed, and for what reason? The ferry, the cyclists, the drivers, what?

This very limited account is silent on the issue.

========================
    I find Wightlink's policy of allowing cyclists to disembark their
    ferries ahead of motorists puzzling in the extreme and wonder what it is motivated by.

Clearly it can't be for safety reasons as allowing, for example 20 cycles
    off only to be overtaken by 60/70 cars, often on narrow roads makes absolutely no sense and is exposing cyclists to needless levels of danger.

I have pointed this out to Wightlink on a couple of occasions but never received a response despite advertising for customer feedback.

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/23667552.isle-wight-ferry-firm-wightlinks-bikes-policy-questioned/

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 23 08:48:02 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 1:58:11 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    Suck it up - bikes are always let off first for safety reasons. ========================
    I find Wightlink's policy of allowing cyclists to disembark their ferries ahead of motorists puzzling in the extreme and wonder what it is motivated by.

Clearly it can't be for safety reasons as allowing, for example 20 cycles off only to be overtaken by 60/70 cars, often on narrow roads makes absolutely no sense and is exposing cyclists to needless levels of danger.

Even when I pay an extra £10 on the Hull - Europoort ferry for priority boarding, we have to allow the two wheeled vehicles to exit and enter before the cars.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05