• Car parked on double yellows blocks west Hull street as resident calls

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 12 03:33:32 2023
    Drivers have been urged to avoid nuisance parking after a car left on double yellow lines blocked off a street in the Avenues area.

As this picture taken in Tennyson Avenue, a narrow cul-de-sac off Chanterlands Avenue, shows, the car was parked on double yellow lines at the same time as another vehicle was parked opposite in a legitimate space. It meant that the narrow street was
    completely blocked.

The resident said: "Cars parking on double yellows is a constant problem in Tennyson because there is a post office on the corner, but I've never seen anything as bad as this. I couldn't actually get down the street and delivery drivers had to stop at
    the junction and walk down."

The Highway Code states that double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time. According to the AA, a few exceptions to the rule are usually permitted, notably for brief loading and unloading, or for people with a blue badge, who can
    usually park there for up to three hours.

The resident added: "I'm not sure how long the car had been there when I arrived, but it must have been about half an hour before it was moved. If the driver had mobility problems, I would certainly sympathise, but the problem of nuisance parking is
    definitely getting worse.

"In the picture there are actually two more cars parking on double yellows behind the car blocking the road. It might seem petty to complain about it, but often there are more cars parked on double yellows in Chanterlands Avenue on either side of our
    junction, which makes pulling out into the main road quite dangerous.

"Even if you creep out, it's difficult to see around the cars. I have sympathy for people who genuinely can't find a space and just need to nip into the post office, but yellow lines are there for a reason and often there are proper spaces further along.

"It's hard sometimes not to feel that some people are just being lazy. If there was a bit more enforcement, then people would soon stop doing it, but I can't remember ever seeing a warden around here."

A spokesperson for Hull City Council said traffic enforcement officers patrolled the city every day to try to prevent nuisance parking. He urged people to report problems.

The resident said his own street was not the only hotspot. "A friend of mine lives in Goddard Avenue and there is exactly the same problem on the junction with Newland, where people dump their cars to go into the post office.

"It's a really busy junction and it can easily lead to the road getting clogged up. I don't want to stop people going about their lives, but it shouldn't be too much to ask them to be a little more considerate."

The council's spokesperson said inconsiderate parking was a nuisance to all road users. The spokesperson said: "As a council we do everything we can to prevent this with our dedicated team of civil enforcement officers patrolling the city daily.

"If members of the public are concerned about a specific location they should contact our customer service team. We urge drivers to act responsibly when parking."

Wile the majority of parking issues should be reported to the council, some instances of illegal parking can be reported to the police online. According to the Humberside Police website, these circumstances are when: the vehicle is parked on zig-zag
    lines; or dangerously; or in a way that would prevent access to emergency vehicles.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/car-parked-double-yellows-blocks-8591141

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)