• A40 Witney: Cyclists slam 'dangerous' and 'overgrown' path

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 03:26:06 2023
    Cyclists have hit out at a ‘dangerous’ pathway now ‘half its original’ width that runs alongside a main road in Oxfordshire.

The cycle lane on the A40 between Witney and Oxford has become overgrown with grass and weeds.

Witney resident and cyclist, Paul Elliott said: “It is now very dangerous to pass oncoming cyclists and pedestrians safely.

“The grass and weeds have encroached onto the actual path making it less than half its original width.

“I’ve reported this several times over the last few years to FixMyStreet each time being told this complaint is closed or already reported by someone else.

“This is a complete joke. If the maintenance was kept up it would cost less in the long term.”

But the council maintain that the path was trimmed at the start of June and following an inspection today they will be carrying out some additional mowing.

FixMyStreet is a website which allows people to inform their local authority of problems needing attention.

Other residents have raised concerns about the height of overhanging trees on the pathway.

One person commented FixMyStreet: “It is not possible to cycle along this stretch without having to lower your head.

“This stretch of the cycle path is sloped and consequently is a fast section when travelling towards Oxford with no barriers between the cycle path and major trunk road.

“If a cyclist were to collide with this tree branch, the cyclist would fall into the traffic lane of the A40 with traffic arriving from behind with the potential for very serious injuries."

Another added: “The footpath around the pull-in at the bus stop is so overgrown that it is now almost impassable.

“This is dangerous for pedestrians and cyclist alike as it forces them to proceed onto the highway, opposite direction to the traffic flow.”

A county council spokesman said: "Our recently adopted vegetation and verge policy outlines our approach to managing vegetation on the highway, including prioritising cycle routes and footways.

"In this particular instance, the section was cut back at the start of June which reduced the vegetation to allow for a better passage along the route.

"Following a further inspection today, the route is able to be used but it has been identified that there are some areas which will benefit from further work to the side out the path, which is above the cutting regime that we have outlined in our policy.

"This work will be commissioned and this, along with other sections of the network, will benefit from the enhanced investment which has been identified this year to improve the cycle and footway routes.

"A programme is currently being finalised and will include some minor civil work improvements along with more intense vegetation and overgrowth clearance where needed."

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23641102.a40-witney-cyclists-slam-dangerous-overgrown-path/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 11:35:22 2023
    On 08/07/2023 11:26 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Cyclists have hit out at a ‘dangerous’ pathway now ‘half its original’ width that runs alongside a main road in Oxfordshire.

I don't blame them.

I know of footways (in streets, not country lanes) near here where
    foot-passage is effectively impossible because of overgrown boundary
    hedges which leave a couple of foot for the legitimate users.

I mean, that isn't even enough for the most dedicated of chavs on their
    bikes!

The cycle lane on the A40 between Witney and Oxford has become overgrown with grass and weeds.

Easily fixed.

Hire a battery-powered hedge trimmer and get to work. Between (say)
    three of you, it'll only take a few hours.

All it takes is a bit of expenditure and a bit of work.

Oh, hang on...

Witney resident and cyclist, Paul Elliott said: “It is now very dangerous to pass oncoming cyclists and pedestrians safely.

So get off and walk that bit.

Safety FIRST, not last.

“The grass and weeds have encroached onto the actual path making it less than half its original width.
    “I’ve reported this several times over the last few years to FixMyStreet each time being told this complaint is closed or already reported by someone else.
    “This is a complete joke. If the maintenance was kept up it would cost less in the long term.”
    But the council maintain that the path was trimmed at the start of June and following an inspection today they will be carrying out some additional mowing.
    FixMyStreet is a website which allows people to inform their local authority of problems needing attention.
    Other residents have raised concerns about the height of overhanging trees on the pathway.
    One person commented FixMyStreet: “It is not possible to cycle along this stretch without having to lower your head.

Chavs on bikes permanently have their heads lowered, staring at the
    ground under the front wheel of the chav-bike.

“This stretch of the cycle path is sloped and consequently is a fast section when travelling towards Oxford with no barriers between the cycle path and major trunk road.

So SLOW DOWN!

Is that "one person" really *that* thick?

“If a cyclist were to collide with this tree branch, the cyclist would fall into the traffic lane of the A40 with traffic arriving from behind with the potential for very serious injuries."

So make sure you don't collide with it. At the moment, that's entirely
    within your control and no-one else's.

Another added: “The footpath around the pull-in at the bus stop is so overgrown that it is now almost impassable.
    “This is dangerous for pedestrians and cyclist alike as it forces them to proceed onto the highway, opposite direction to the traffic flow.”

Walk that bit. It's so simple - just like you, in fact.

A county council spokesman said: "Our recently adopted vegetation and verge policy outlines our approach to managing vegetation on the highway, including prioritising cycle routes and footways.
    "In this particular instance, the section was cut back at the start of June which reduced the vegetation to allow for a better passage along the route.
    "Following a further inspection today, the route is able to be used but it has been identified that there are some areas which will benefit from further work to the side out the path, which is above the cutting regime that we have outlined in our
    policy.
    "This work will be commissioned and this, along with other sections of the network, will benefit from the enhanced investment which has been identified this year to improve the cycle and footway routes.
    "A programme is currently being finalised and will include some minor civil work improvements along with more intense vegetation and overgrowth clearance where needed."

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23641102.a40-witney-cyclists-slam-dangerous-overgrown-path/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 12:24:45 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
    Radu Ignat 7th July 4:50 pm
    User ID: 4775713
    I have been reporting them as well. I had fallen off and dislocated my shoulder after hitting a 2" bump on the path caused by a overgrown tree
    root. There are a few of these between Witney and Oxford. I get punctures
    at least once per week and I always get my clothes ripped and get
    scratches from the overgrown hedges. Maybe all cyclist should raise
    claims against the council?

The dreadful alternative for cyclists is to look where they are going, see
    what hazards are ahead, and plan a safe manoeuvre to deal with them, even
    if it means braking to a halt or choosing another route. It’s what is expected of drivers, after all, so can’t be that difficult to accomplish,
    can it?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 05:27:31 2023
    ↪ in reply to Radu Ignat
    Paul Elliott 7th July 4:55 pm
    User ID: 2084484
    Thanks for the response to this Radu the more people who complain the better. This has been going on for several years now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 06:00:51 2023
    Ginger Leftie Cyclist 7th July 6:57 pm
    User ID: 1443818
    Punctures are the worst. I haven't had a single one though since I got Schwalbe puncture proof tyres (marathon plus are the best). You have my sympathy on all the other issues too, the cycle path along the A415 between Abingdon and Culham is the same,
    totally impassible in places and so dangerous.

I can't understand why they don't improve this cycle path when it's one of the most congested routes into Oxford.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 05:18:20 2023
    I have been reporting them as well. I had fallen off and dislocated my shoulder after hitting a 2" bump on the path caused by a overgrown tree root. There are a few of these between Witney and Oxford. I get punctures at least once per week and I always
    get my clothes ripped and get scratches from the overgrown hedges. Maybe all cyclist should raise claims against the council?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 12:57:43 2023
    ↪ in reply to Radu Ignat
    Paul Elliott 7th July 4:55 pm
    User ID: 2084484
    Thanks for the response to this Radu the more people who complain the
    better. This has been going on for several years now.

Typical whinge…

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 13:32:46 2023
    Ginger Leftie Cyclist 7th July 6:57 pm
    User ID: 1443818
    Punctures are the worst. I haven't had a single one though since I got Schwalbe puncture proof tyres (marathon plus are the best). You have my sympathy on all the other issues too, the cycle path along the A415
    between Abingdon and Culham is the same, totally impassible in places and so dangerous.

I can't understand why they don't improve this cycle path when it's one
    of the most congested routes into Oxford.

If the cycle path from Abingdon to Culham is ‘impassable and dangerous’ (which seems very much like an oxymoron) WHY ARE YOU USING IT?

🙄 Cyclists, eh?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 08:18:15 2023
    WASP 7th July 10:59 pm
    User ID: 4622951
    Cool story. Not sure how it relates to a poor cycle path on the A40.

With over 80% of drivers exceeding speed limits, over 40,000 drink driving convictions per year, and vulnerable road users being killed on a regular basis through no fault of their own, maybe your attention should focus on the real cause of harm on our
    roads.

There have been numerous reports of drunk/drug drivers this week, and a dead cyclist because of one. You haven’t made a comment on any of these news reports.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 16:50:38 2023
    On 08/07/2023 01:18 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

I have been reporting them as well. I had fallen off and dislocated my shoulder after hitting a 2" bump on the path caused by a overgrown tree root. There are a few of these between Witney and Oxford. I get punctures at least once per week and I always
    get my clothes ripped and get scratches from the overgrown hedges. Maybe all cyclist should raise claims against the council?

Maybe all chavs on bikes should just stay off footpaths?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 09:26:47 2023
    PresidentEleven 7th July 7:50 pm
    User ID: 2102017
    With all these people on community service, can they be given a spade and a brush for fix it? Cycle enthusiasts would certainly be supportive, and the GB News viewer could see law and order in action.
    No expensive contractors and no additional costs to the over-burdened council tax payers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 17:01:40 2023
    With all these people on community service, can they be given a spade and
    a brush for fix it? Cycle enthusiasts would certainly be supportive, and
    the GB News viewer could see law and order in action.
    No expensive contractors and no additional costs to the over-burdened council tax payers.

Cycle enthusiasts supportive for other people to do work to benefit them?
    No Sh1t, Sherlock!

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 10:57:24 2023
    Palmesan 11 hrs ago
    User ID: 850933
    Having a driving licence is not a right. Those drivers who show they cannot be trusted to behave sensibly on the roads should have their licences taken away permanently. It would make roads much safer, but no political party is brave enough.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 20:00:23 2023
    On 08/07/2023 06:57 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Palmesan 11 hrs ago

Having a driving licence is not a right. Those drivers who show they cannot be trusted to behave sensibly on the roads should have their licences taken away permanently. It would make roads much safer, but no political party is brave enough.

Hmmm... an interesting little rant, which tells us more about "Palmesan"
    [sic] than it does about any other person or class of persons.

Now... this footpath that's getting overgrown...

Perhaps you'd like to round up some random pedestrians and stand over
    them while they clear the undergrowth sufficiently that you and other chav-cyclists can proceed along it at your accustomed speed and with
    your usual lack of attention as to what might be up ahead?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 20:02:42 2023
    On 08/07/2023 05:26 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

With all these people on community service, can they be given a spade
    and a brush for fix it?

Convicted labour, eh?

Where were you brought up, Mississippi?

Cycle enthusiasts would certainly be supportive,

"Supportive" enough to get stuck in?

Or is that someone else's responsibility (like everything else is, as
    far as chav-cyclists are concerned)?

and the GB News viewer could see law and order in action.

Easier still: just let the chavs on the bikes do it. They appear to be
    the ones with most to gain from it. It's hard to see what advantage
    normal people would get.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 8 19:22:06 2023
    Palmesan 11 hrs ago
    Having a driving licence is not a right. Those drivers who show they
    cannot be trusted to behave sensibly on the roads should have their
    licences taken away permanently. It would make roads much safer, but no political party is brave enough.

You’ll need to define ‘sensibly’.

For example, is it ‘sensible’ for a cyclist to bowl along looking at his front axle instead of where he’s going?

What sanction would you apply to this guy?

<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA>

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 12:24:29 2023
    Toast 11 hrs ago
    User ID: 432941
    No, the blue signs don't mean it's compulsory to use those tracks, the blue signs show who is allowed to use them. So in the case of your Horspath track, cyclists and pedestrians can use it but not cars. See Highway Code. Cyclists can use the road too
    obviously and there are lots of times when it's safer to be in the road.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05