• London to Brighton organisers blame expansion of ULEZ and rising costs

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 7 09:50:08 2023
    Organisers of the London to Brighton Mini Run have cancelled the annual event, blaming the decision on spiralling costs and the impending ULEZ expansion.

The team behind the annual event criticised the amount of red tab associated with organising the trip, describing the process as 'increasingly challenging'.

The run to the south coast is a celebration of Alec Issigonis' classic design, with production lasting between 1959 and 2000.

The original Mini was fitted with a giant ashtray instead of a radio, as Issignosis enjoyed smoking. During the 1960s, it became an icon of pop culture and featured in Michael Caine's 1969 crime caper, The Italian Job.

According to the event's webpage: 'We hope you all enjoyed this year's London to Brighton Mini Run.

'Putting on this event has become increasingly challenging, with spiralling costs, red tape, reduced parking at Brighton and numerous other restrictions, before we even get to the possible impact of ULEZ in both London and Brighton.

'After the post-event meeting and lengthy discussions, the committee have come to the difficult decision that there will not be a London to Brighton Mini Run next year.

'We would like to thank everyone who has helped marshal over the years and the members who have participated in the event.'

Brighton and Hove introduced a low emission zone to try and curb pollution in the city in January 2015 but it only applies to buses.

However the city's Green Party has pledged to expand it as well as making it apply to all polluting vehicles.

London's ULEZ zone has been the focus of much criticism. It is set to be expanded to cover much of outer London and only historic vehicles over 40 years old are exempt, with drivers having to apply for a historic vehicle tax class.

Those who don't meet the criteria have to pay £12.50.

Mini Run organisers also cited a lack of parking in Brighton, where the run ends.

A Brighton and Hove City Council spokesperson said they were in contact with the London and Surrey Mini Owners Club to try and save the event.

Council lead for events Alan Robins said: 'We are doing everything we can to save this important event for the city against the backdrop of rising costs for organisers.

'Council officers have today spoken with them to try and find working solutions that can make the event viable going forward.

'We are confident that when the Black Rock development is completed, we'll also be able to increase capacity and space for participants.

'The city's ULEZ only applies to buses in a small area of the city.

'We have so many excellent and historic events taking place in the city every year and we will do everything we can to support them and the economic benefits they bring.'

Participants said they were heartbroken by the cancellation, with many recalling generations of their families being involved.

Historic Minis have been passed from grandparents to grandchildren who now carry on the tradition of taking part.

Clare Lamb said on Facebook: 'So sad to hear the news - massive blow to the minis but understand the difficulties and it's such a shame.

'You worked wonders to pull it all off and it was always a massive date on the calendar.'

Paul Reynolds said: 'To everyone who made this event happen thank you for some great memories.'

Mick Hough added: 'We thanked the NHS a few years ago and now it's time for us to Thank You.

'Thanks for the memories and all the fun that we had.

'I've only been involved since 2006 but I will never forget the friendships I have made throughout the years.

'Thank you once again.'

And Taylor Barnett said: 'Such sad news about the run but I'm so glad I managed to do it 2023!

'This mini was my grandma's, when she passed away she left it to my dad.

'He was diagnosed with Parkinson's, he physically can not drive any more so he's passed the mini on to me and my sister.

'The weekend of the run was also the weekend I received my results, I passed, made dad proud and had the best weekend doing this!

'Thank you so much to all the organisers, you have made a dad very proud as I pulled up!'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12275341/London-Brighton-Mini-Run-cancelled-ULEZ-expansion.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)