• Wimbledon crash: Girl, eight, dies and arrest made after Land Rover cra

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 6 14:15:05 2023
    A girl, aged eight, has died following a horror car crash at a Wimbledon primary school today, the Met Police has confirmed.

A woman in her 40s, the driver of the 4x4 which hit the school, has also been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Police were called at 9.54am today (July 6) to reports that a car had collided with a building at The Study Prep, a £16,000 a year private primary school in Camp Road, Wimbledon.

Wimbledon resident Julie Atwood told the PA news agency: “My daughter used to go to this school. It’s a girls’ school. Wimbledon is like a little village. For this to happen in Wimbledon is unheard of. It’s terrible.”

The children and staff at the school were believed to be having an outdoor tea party for the last day of term when the car struck.

A local told the Mirror the children were having a tea party on the lawn outside the school to celebrate the final day of term, adding: "It’s terrible, the children were sat on the grass with their teachers for the end of the school year having a tea
    party.

"We think a local resident was coming down from the Royal Wimbledon golf club and crashed through the fence."

Emergency services including the London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade swarmed the leafy suburb following the crash.
    A total of 15 others were injured, with 10 conveyed to hospital, the Met Police said during a press conference outside the school at around 3pm today.

One witness outside the school said parents had collected their children, with some described as “distraught”.

Zac Powell told reporters: “I arrived at around quarter past 10, within 15 minutes of the incident happening.

“I saw a lot of distraught parents rushing from the scene on my arrival. Since then I have seen a lot of parents coming and picking up their children with expressions of relief or despair.

“There was quite a lot of damage I could see. Even from a distance. Within 15 minutes of my arrival there were armed police response units here at the scene.”

London's Metropolitan Police said the driver stopped at the scene of the crash at The Study Preparatory School in Camp Road.

Wimbledon MP Stephen Hammond has said several of those hurt had been "critically injured", adding: "Since being declared by the local police a major incident, you've seen that we've had fire, air ambulance, ambulance and police on the scene.

"There are a number of people who are critically injured as I understand it and given the scale of the response from emergency services... this is a very serious incident."

He said The Study Prep is a "very well-known and family-based school".

Detective Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland, local police commander for south west London, said: “This is tragic news and our thoughts are with the girl’s family and friends, and everyone affected today.

“We remain at the scene and are continuing our investigation into the full circumstances of the incident.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1788228/wimbledon-school-crash-girl-dead

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)