• Why Amsterdam is Removing 10,000 Parking Spaces

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 25 23:59:19 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXLqrMljdfU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 08:16:57 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

(~20 minute video)
    (I made it to 5 minutes and gave up)

A typical ’apples and oranges’ highly-biased presentation. A large proportion of the videos were of the USA, some from the 1950s(!) which is hardly representative of Amsterdam Centrum seventy years later.

If the video maker needed to make a point, why wasn’t it done using Amsterdam?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 26 03:13:51 2023
    @Keenan111

Amsterdam's stubborn insistence on allowing cars into the city center remains baffling to me. There are examples all over the country such as Utrecht and Groningen that show removing cars is GREAT. I'm excited for the car-free Herengracht and hope it
    will lead the way to more completely car-free areas (such as the entire city lol).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 10:53:03 2023

@Marie-ig3tp
    6 months ago
    Thank you for briefly mentioning the disabled population. I visited
    Amsterdam for the first time this week and unfortunately had a bit of a
    rough time due to a dislocated knee.

Walkable cities are amazing until you can’t walk…
    …at least most of the trains seemed wheel chair accessible. I can’t even imagine trying to use a mobility aid in other European cities.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 10:50:11 2023

@piethein4355
    6 months ago
    I think you missed another major motivator for this plan. Amsterdam has a
    rain water dispersion problem, one that got worse with the introduction of
    more paved survaces and asphalt and that has become even more important as extream rainfall events become more common.

A major reason for removing streetparking therefore is the introduction of
    more greenery for water management.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 10:56:40 2023

@adityadutt4921
    6 months ago
    Thanks for the content, you have made this constant anxiety i have about
    the world which is probably common to all young people, a little less,
    thanks to you i have gone very deep and know there are various solutions to
    a number of problems. I wish to someday move to such a place to just take a walk whenever I need something or want to go for a stroll. Sorry i am a
    student so this most of what i can give[SIC]

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 11:19:20 2023

@alexandernordstrom1617
    6 months ago
    I live in Sweden and visit Amsterdam at least once in a normal year. As
    much as I love it, the last couple of times I've been unable to shake this feeling of "is this really the showroom for the enlightened world that it's held up to be?" Even in this supposed cycling and walking utopia, there are cars almost everywhere, and because there are a few quiet streets here and there, the stress that cars induce whenever they're around is all the more obvious. The Dutch may just be too good at providing optimal, segregated infrastructure for all modes of transport, and that may be great for transportation, but a city is about so much more than that.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 11:16:27 2023

@koenven7012
    6 months ago
    People not only use the most convenient mode, also the most reliable. If you're last train goes very early or if 25% of trams are scrapped because
    of not enough drivers, going to a friend in the city you need a car as otherwise you're not sure if you will get home.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 26 05:36:35 2023
    @Hackwar
    After watching all of your videos over the last years, I did change my opinion quite a lot. I'm a father of 2 young kids with a dog and 6 years ago we bought quite a big (used) car. I still consider that to be the right purchase at the time, but I also
    know, that when this car goes to the scrapyard in 5+ years, we will downsize considerably. I don't see us ditching cars altogether, but I seriously plan to drive something half the size and at least as importantly: far less. My wife already switched from
    driving to work by car to a bike and I actually never started driving by car in the first place.

And with our kids being able to ride their bikes themselfs now, we don't need the space for the stroller, etc. anymore. I'm hoping to reduce my yearly mileage quite a lot in the next year, even though we plan on going on vacation(s) for the first time
    in several years. I do see the need to reduce the number of cars on our streets substantially.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 14:01:49 2023

@Raz0rking
    6 months ago
    My fear is that while car usage gets made less convenient, the other alternatives stay shit.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 26 08:27:05 2023
    @saulzmon

I love when politicians actually attempt to follow through on promises. It's such a rare occurrence.

Same as here in the UK: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzjw4fQXwAEY-cQ?format=jpg&name=small

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 15:47:06 2023
    @saulzmon

I love when politicians actually attempt to follow through on promises.
    It's such a rare occurrence.

Same as here in the UK: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzjw4fQXwAEY-cQ?format=jpg&name=small

<https://www.ft.com/content/4351d5b0-0888-4b47-9368-6bc4dfbccbf5>

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 09:39:20 2023
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 4:27:07 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    @saulzmon

I love when politicians actually attempt to follow through on promises. It's such a rare occurrence.

Truss and Kwarteng promised to "grow" the UK economy last September and this was the result.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzkBaEVXwAEfU9q?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 26 14:00:14 2023
    A bonus Brexit benefit - well done you Brextards.
    That will show the EU.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzkFzrzX0AAQErD?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 26 14:04:54 2023
    More "winning".

----------------------

UK meat and fish exports to the EU have slumped by almost half since Brexit, new analysis of trade figures has revealed.

The worrying plunge in food trade comes as Britain marks the seventh anniversary of the referendum result amid growing negativity about Brexit’s impact on the economy.

Meat exports to EU countries – as measured by weight – declined by 42 per cent from December 2020 to March 2023, according to Labour analysis of government trade data.

The shock figures also show a 45 per cent slide in the net mass of fish, crustacean and mollusc exported to Europe over the same period.

Keir Starmer’s party is demanding a new veterinary deal with Brussels to ease the “mountain of red tape” faced by British businesses trading with Britain’s nearest neighbours.

Labour ministers have written to environment secretary Therese Coffey, urging the government to take up the “practical fix” to ease the burden of costly checks which have also caused huge congestion at Dover.
    Jim McMahon, the shadow environment secretary, blamed the Tory government for a “perfect storm of negligence which has hurt jobs, rocketed prices and damaged our food security”.

He added: “The Tories have failed at every turn; food producers are saddled with endless red tape and crippling production costs and households are being squeezed on their weekly food shop beyond any limits.”

The weight of meat exports to EU countries fell from just over 56 million kilograms in December 2020, the month prior to the introduction of the checks, to 34.5 million kilograms. Fish, crustacean and mollusc exports fell from just over 27 million
    kilograms down to 14.7 million kilograms in the same period.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 26 14:09:07 2023
    The latest wave of post-Brexit red tape could push up food prices and worsen Britain’s inflation crisis, industry leaders have warned.

The UK’s fresh produce industry said firms could be forced to pass on the extra costs of charges imposed on food and agricultural imports from the EU set to be introduced in October.

The Fresh Produce Consortium (FPC) – representing 650 members in the fresh fruit, vegetables, cut flowers and plants sectors – has written to the government about the impact of looming border checks.

The body said it expected “additional costs, delay and disruption” from the new red tape on fresh goods that would “materially contribute towards consumer inflation” as well as lead to greater food waste.

With Rishi Sunak under growing pressure to tame stubbornly-persistent inflation, his chancellor Jeremy Hunt will meet regulators this week to ask they push firms to pass on lower wholesale prices to their consumers.

But food sector leaders are increasingly worried about the extra cost of checks on imports set to be phased in from October 2023 under Boris Johnson’s exit deal with Brussels.

Nigel Jenney, the FPC chief executive, criticised the government’s plans to deal with a series of post-Brexit changes – arguing that a “highly inefficient border solution” would mean extra costs being passed on to consumers.

“The highly efficient logistics model widely adopted by our sector to deliver a complex range of highly perishable goods rapidly to several customers will be compromised at considerable additional cost,” he said.

Mr Jenny added: “UK border strategy will be directly responsible for UK food inflation.”

Business leaders fear port authorities are unprepared for the implementation of new checks, including health certifications on some animal, plant and food products from the EU.

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) has previously warned the new checks which could see supply chain disruption, leading to shortages and soaring costs.

A new charge of up to £43 per imported consignment – outlined in a consultation issued by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) – comes alongside separate fees for customs agents and SPS inspections.

The extra costs of bringing in goods from the EU could add “hundreds of pounds” to the cost of importing each lorry-load of produce, business leaders previously told The Independent.

The government has warned business bosses that new checks on imports from the EU will add around £400m a year in extra costs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 20:37:11 2023
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 4:27:07 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    @saulzmon

I love when politicians actually attempt to follow through on promises.
    It's such a rare occurrence.

Truss and Kwarteng promised to "grow" the UK economy last September and
    this was the result.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzkBaEVXwAEfU9q?format=jpg&name=medium

That’s a graph showing how our exports got cheaper!

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 21:53:48 2023
    More "winning".

----------------------

UK meat and fish exports to the EU have slumped by almost half since
    Brexit, new analysis of trade figures has revealed.

<https://www.statista.com/statistics/284750/united-kingdom-uk-total-eu-trade-in-goods-by-trade-value/>

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 22:47:43 2023
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 10:00:16 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    That will show the EU.

No wonder exports of fish has halved since 2016 - who wants to eat shellfish grown in raw sewage?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 27 07:03:59 2023
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 10:00:16 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    That will show the EU.

No wonder exports of fish has halved since 2016 - who wants to eat
    shellfish grown in raw sewage?

Shellfish are filter-feeders. Whether or not they have been fed on raw
    sewage, they need cleaning by a soak in fresh water no matter what their provenance.

It’s clear that you don’t know much about food, exports, or Brexit - you keep repeating the same false crap over and over.

You lost. Get over it. Let’s see where we are in 40 years, then we can compare things pre-and post-Brexit.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 27 03:17:45 2023
    BBC QT last week had a whole audience filled with these deluded racist liars in the name of "balance" of course.
    Thankfully, these gammons are rapidly dying off and will be replaced with educated young people who will rejoin their EU friends once again - just a matter of time and demographics.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fznyy1FWAAEI-2d?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 27 03:21:15 2023
    Traces of E.coli have reportedly been found in seawater off beaches in Blackpool after raw sewage flowed into the sea during heavy rainfall earlier this week (June 16)..

Now, samples taken by representatives of campaign group Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) are alleged to have contained the dangerous bacteria, which can cause diarrhoea, stomach cramps and occasionally fever.

Untreated water was discharged directly into the Irish Sea Monday night (June 12) during repair work at a treatment facility in Fleetwood. The United Utilities treatment works had been running at a reduced capacity, and 40mm of rain fall in around two
    hours, caused the system to temporarily reach full capacity at sites in Blackpool.

Untreated sewage, mixed with rainwater, was released into the sea. This incident led to the Environment Agency, and various councils along the Fylde coast, warning people not to enter the water.

The public were told not to swim at any of the beaches at Bispham, Blackpool Central, Blackpool North, Blackpool South, Cleveleys beach, Fleetwood, St Annes or St Annes North until further notice. However, this advice has either gone unseen or ignored
    with dozens of swimmers seen at Blackpool on Tuesday.

A further warning has now been issued by the SAS group which carried out its own analysis of samples taken off Squires Gate. According to Gary Lovatt, the group's North West rep, these samples were found to contain the E.coli.
    The test kit used by Surfers Against Sewage

He said: "After last nights water sample test, taken at Squires Gate Blackpool. Results are in! I can confirm that there is E.coli present in the water. Also what looks like sludge in the tidal pools! Stay safe and don’t drink the water if you’re
    going for a paddle"

While many forms of E.coli are harmless, the bacteria can lead to infection with symptoms including diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever. About half of people with the infection will have bloody diarrhoea, according to NHS Inform.

Symptoms are usually seen three to four days after infection and can last up to two weeks. Although very rare, a small number of cases develop into a more serious condition called haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) which can result in kidney failure and
    even death.

On Friday (June 16), Labour Parliamentary candidate Chris Webb also posted on social media over concerns there was E.coli in the water. He wrote: "E.coli found in sea water on Blackpool beach after raw sewage discharge overflow.

"A water sample taken in Blackpool South has confirmed there is E.coli present in the sea – a potentially harmful bacteria linked to raw sewage. Bathers are advised not to take to the water at eight beaches - including Bispham, Blackpool Central,
    Blackpool North, Blackpool South, Cleveleys, Fleetwood, St Annes and St Annes North."

SAS has long campaigned to improve the quality of water across the UK, in particular targeted the huge amounts of untreated sewage which are discharged. According to an extensive report from the group, more than 700 people reported getting ill after
    entering the water in 12 months across 2021-22. This was more than double the previous year.

It's report states: "Swimming in contaminated recreational waters is known to increase the risk of gastroenteritis as well as sinus infections, skin rashes, and conjunctivitis [....] The most common illness reported was Gastroenteritis, with 2 in 3
    people reporting sickness experiencing it. Alarmingly, we found that many people have suffered from multiple illnesses, with one in every 15 cases reporting a combination of illnesses, from nasty rashes to bladder infections."

A spokesperson for Environment Agency said: "As part of the multi-agency response we are working closely with United Utilities to minimise the impacts to people and the environment, which is our priority. Polluting our seas and rivers is unacceptable and
    we are carrying out a detailed investigation into this incident.

"We take tough action against those who pollute and will take appropriate enforcement action, as required.We urge beach users to follow local information and signage, and to visit the Swimfo website to access further information.”

United Utilities referred LancsLive to the Environment Agency regarding the latest update. Speaking earlier this week, Mark Garth, wastewater director at United Utilities, said: “This is a very unusual incident and our teams are working around the
    clock to minimise any impact on the environment. The burst occurred on a large pipe which is deep underground, making the repair complex and challenging.

"We are installing temporary overland pipework to bypass the burst pipe so that the treatment plant can continue to operate while the repair work is carried out. The reduced capacity at the treatment works and in our network as a result of this burst
    meant there was less storage available than normal to deal with the heavy rainfall last night.

"This resulted in storm overflows operating. We are working closely with the Environment Agency and local councils as we respond to this.”

Since the burst occurred United Utilities has been able to avoid any further spills from storm overflows by rerouting some of the wastewater that goes to Fleetwood and by using a fleet of 50 tankers to take it to other sites for treatment. If the current
    dry weather continues, the firm is confident that the storm overflows will not spill again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 27 10:33:39 2023
    BBC QT last week had a whole audience filled with these deluded racist
    liars in the name of "balance" of course.
    Thankfully, these gammons are rapidly dying off and will be replaced with educated young people who will rejoin their EU friends once again - just
    a matter of time and demographics.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fznyy1FWAAEI-2d?format=jpg&name=medium

Unfortunately, young people grow into old people, mostly during the
    transition they become wary of politicians promises having seen them fail
    time and again, and refuse to accept the lies they are told. With certain exceptions for the hard of thinking…

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 27 10:37:50 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> failed to attribute this
    article, taken from <https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e-coli-found-in-blackpool-sea-following-raw-sewage-discharge-and-no-swim-warnings-across-coast/ar-AA1cDWwy>:

Traces of E.coli have reportedly been found in seawater off beaches in Blackpool after raw sewage flowed into the sea during heavy rainfall
    earlier this week (June 16).

(rest snipped)

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 27 03:37:51 2023
    Back in 2013, prime minister David Cameron promised a referendum on leaving the EU. He didn't want to leave, he just wanted to stop the right wing of the Conservative Party "banging on about Europe".

That went well.

Cameron is now living a quiet life in a £16,500 shepherd's hut in his garden in Chipping Norton. He resigned the day after the shock result of the 2016 referendum.

His selfish political gamble opened the way for Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and now Rishi Sunak. As leaders of the still divided Tories, their job has been to turn slogans from an ugly and divisive referendum campaign into a functioning way of
    running the country.

The huge turnover at Cameron's former gaff in Downing Street suggests that this is not as easy as putting a glib promise on the side of a bus.

Current problems, from the increase in migrants willing to risk their lives crossing the Channel in inflatable dinghies to the price of salad, have their roots in Brexit.

Take the right-wingers Cameron tried to shut up. They are still there, demanding that the referendum promise to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands be honoured.

But there are massive job vacancies left by EU workers who wouldn't or couldn't stick around after Brexit and there are not enough home-grown workers to pick the lettuces. (Or make the coffees. Or be the GP.)

Meanwhile, because the UK does not work with European partners on immigration issues, there are increasing numbers boarding dangerous small boats. Overall migration is at a record high.

That ramps up the pain on the Prime Minister. But Brexit has brought misery to all our lives.

Inflation, currently 8.7 per cent, comes from the increased costs of importing food and other goods. But it's also caused by rising wages, which are caused by staff shortages.

The cost of fuel is also a factor. We were promised reduced fuel prices. Instead the pound's value is in the toilet. The UK is left buying oil and gas with a weak currency, in a market already savaged by the war in Ukraine.

Those puny pounds do not go far if we brave the airport queues and go to Europe on holiday. Once there, we need decent health insurance. A blue passport is not much help to a broken leg.

Brexit has shrunk the UK and turned us inward. Investment has fallen - why would an international company choose to put a factory or office here?

If they want to export to the EU they face horrendous red tape. If their staff want to go anywhere they will have to queue at the airport .

In February, AstraZeneca, the firm that made the Covid vaccine, announced its new factory would be in Ireland. We are losing out on lucrative international business.

British universities used to carry out billions of pounds worth of pharmaceutical research, funded by the EU. Those jobs and opportunities, all that potential, gone.

The idea that the NHS would get an extra £350million a week is perhaps one of the sickest jokes ever played on the electorate. Brexit has damaged our precious health service in many ways, from staff shortages to gaps in drug supplies.

Fishermen thought they would get rid of their hated quotas at last. Instead Brexit has been a disaster for the industry and left many feeling used then discarded as the campaign ended.

Complaining is very unattractive, which is why the right tagged those of us who thought it was bonkers to leave the EU as "remoaners". But in the face of something obviously disastrous, a negative response is the correct response. And it's hard to
    overstate how damaging Brexit has been .

What makes it so heartbreaking is that it was all so unnecessary.

Brexit was a referendum held by an overconfident prime minister who thought it would put his internal snipers' gas at a peep.

It was fought using phony promises and wildly misleading figures. The Leave vote ended Cameron's career. It left us with Theresa May, who did her limited best to make it work, then Boris Johnson who could not be bothered to read the small print, or stop
    smirking and appreciate the gravity of what was at stake.

The mess they have left will take decades to clean up. They printed lies on the side of a bus. Then they threw the country under it.

Brexit has seeped into every corner of our lives.

It affects our huge decisions - where do we want to live, or study, or retire?

And our smaller ones, like where we go on holiday or whether or not we put Greek olives and Spanish tomatoes into our shopping trolleys.

Businesses have to cope with everything from screeds of paperwork and extra taxes to staff shortages and price increases. Even charities have seen their European funding dry up.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/how-tories-broke-britain-reckless-30317341?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 27 03:40:23 2023
    One day after another dismaying U.K. inflation report, Nigel Farage – champion of Brexit, current TV talk show host – went on a Twitter offensive.

His target: Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey.

“He is no good. It is time he was sacked,” the former leader of the populist UK Independence Party ranted in a video tweet Thursday.

“He didn’t see inflation coming … Now, rates are going to soar, and anybody with borrowings is going to pay the price,” he said.

“This bloke is a total incompetent.”

The tirade came just hours before the Bank of England did, indeed, increase its policy rate by half a percentage point to 5 per cent, escalating its uphill battle against Britain’s serious inflation problem. The U.K. inflation rate was 8.7 per cent in
    May, among the highest in the industrialized world. It’s nearly double Canada’s rate. It’s 2.6 percentage points higher than the euro zone average.

Mr. Farage’s bit of political theatre likely made him seem pretty clever to his supporters, staunch euro-skeptics who voted in 2016 to pull Britain out of the European Union. Mr. Farage even sprinkled some Brexit ideology into his anti-Bailey mix,
    arguing that what the country really needed in a central bank boss was “a Brexiteer … someone who believed in making us competitive.”

But his offensive is a smokescreen. He wants to deflect blame from where it clearly belongs: on Brexit itself.

Britain’s withdrawal from the European trade bloc is a major contributor to the country’s sad inflation story. It has exacerbated strains on supply chains and labour markets throughout the recovery from the COVID-19 recession. It has created new
    cross-border complications and paperwork headaches for importers. The effect has been to pile additional costs onto an already steeply inflationary global environment.

As British voters cool on Brexit, U.K. softens tone towards EU

The damage is most readily apparent in Britain’s soaring food prices. Year-over-year food inflation was 18.4 per cent in May, down only slightly from the peak of 19.2 per cent in March. (By comparison, Canada’s food inflation in April – the latest
    figures available – was 8.3 per cent.) In the past few months, the British have endured the highest food inflation in 45 years.

Food prices throughout Europe have soared in the past year; Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and unfavourable crop-growing weather have hurt the entire region. Still, Britain’s food inflation rate is far above the euro area’s average of 13.7 per cent
    in May.

Researchers at the London School of Economics recently dug into price data to quantify the proportion of food inflation attributable to Brexit effects. They looked at food products that were more exposed to imports from EU countries prior to the Brexit
    referendum of 2016, compared with products that have less EU import exposure.

Prior to Brexit, there was little difference in inflation between the two groups. Since then, price increases have been notably steeper for high-EU-exposure foods. That trend has accelerated markedly since the Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the
    U.K. and the EU took effect at the beginning of 2021, effectively marking the end of Britain’s membership in the EU trade bloc.

The LSE analysis found that of Britain’s 25-per-cent increase in food prices since the end of 2019, nearly one-third can be attributed to the Brexit split. Just since January of 2022, the researchers estimated, foods more exposed to EU imports have
    risen 3.5 percentage points more than the less-exposed group.

The researchers said that these inflationary effects “were entirely driven by products with high non-tariff barriers.” This refers to cross-border restrictions such as regulatory and sanitary standards, labelling requirements and customs inspections
    that can significantly slow trade flows and add costs, and are particularly intensive for foods such as meat and cheese. Within the EU, members have mutual exemptions from many such measures; outside of the EU, British consumers must shoulder these
    costly trade barriers.

Beyond non-tariff barriers, Brexit has also added to Britain’s labour shortages, as the free movement of in-demand workers from EU countries has ended. A study from the Centre for European Reform estimated that Brexit has cost the British labour market
    more than 300,000 workers. Extreme tightness in the labour market has fuelled wage inflation: Three-month wage growth was running at an annual rate of more than 7 per cent in April.

Now, clearly, Brexit isn’t to blame for all of this mess. As Canadians know all too well, Britain holds no monopoly on high inflation, or strained labour markets or rising interest rates. But Brexit has absolutely added to the economic pressures, and
    misery, that have left Britain in considerably worse shape than many of its global peers.

“Brexit did not cause all of the UK’s economic problems, but it made almost all of them worse,” said Adam Posen, head of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a U.S. think tank, in an op-ed in the Financial Times last week.

Several British grocers limit sales of some vegetables amid shortages

Lord knows that Andrew Bailey – along with central bankers in many other countries, including Canada – has a share of the blame for misreading early inflation signs and acting later than he should have to raise interest rates. But mistakes in a
    complicated economic time are one thing; the self-inflicted wound of Brexit is something else entirely.

Nigel Farage and his Brexiteer bedfellows seduced Brits with unsubstantiated claims and unrealistic promises, and this is the price the country is paying. If Mr. Farage insists on laying blame, he might start by looking in a mirror.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 27 12:11:11 2023
    See what I mean about some people not growing up as they age?

Well illustrated by the imperatives of fighting lost battles and an
    inability to see anything other that what agrees with their schoolchild philosophy, as exemplified by yet another one-sided post.

One day after another dismaying U.K. inflation report, Nigel Farage – champion of Brexit, current TV talk show host – went on a Twitter offensive.

“He is no good. It is time he was sacked,” the former leader of the populist UK Independence Party ranted in a video tweet Thursday.

“He didn’t see inflation coming … Now, rates are going to soar, and anybody with borrowings is going to pay the price,” he said.

The tirade came just hours before the Bank of England did, indeed,
    increase its policy rate by half a percentage point to 5 per cent,
    escalating its uphill battle against Britain’s serious inflation problem. The U.K. inflation rate was 8.7 per cent in May, among the highest in the industrialized world. It’s nearly double Canada’s rate. It’s 2.6 percentage points higher than the euro zone average.

Mr. Farage’s bit of political theatre likely made him seem pretty clever
    to his supporters, staunch euro-skeptics who voted in 2016 to pull
    Britain out of the European Union. Mr. Farage even sprinkled some Brexit ideology into his anti-Bailey mix, arguing that what the country really needed in a central bank boss was “a Brexiteer … someone who believed in making us competitive.”

But his offensive is a smokescreen. He wants to deflect blame from where
    it clearly belongs: on Brexit itself.

Britain’s withdrawal from the European trade bloc is a major contributor
    to the country’s sad inflation story. It has exacerbated strains on
    supply chains and labour markets throughout the recovery from the
    COVID-19 recession. It has created new cross-border complications and paperwork headaches for importers. The effect has been to pile additional costs onto an already steeply inflationary global environment.

You forgot to mention that “…. strains on supply chains and labour markets throughout the recovery from the COVID-19 recession” was global rather tn parochial.

Honestly, can’t you see through this one-sided stuff?

The damage is most readily apparent in Britain’s soaring food prices. Year-over-year food inflation was 18.4 per cent in May, down only
    slightly from the peak of 19.2 per cent in March. (By comparison,
    Canada’s food inflation in April – the latest figures available – was 8.3
    per cent.) In the past few months, the British have endured the highest
    food inflation in 45 years.

Food prices throughout Europe have soared in the past year; Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and unfavourable crop-growing weather have hurt the entire region. Still, Britain’s food inflation rate is far above the euro area’s average of 13.7 per cent in May.

Researchers at the London School of Economics

It’s not hard to work out where the LSE lies on the political spectrum…

recently dug into price data to quantify the proportion of food
    inflation attributable to Brexit effects. They looked at food products that were more exposed to imports from EU countries prior to the Brexit
    referendum of 2016, compared with products that have less EU import
    exposure.

Prior to Brexit, there was little difference in inflation between the two groups. Since then, price increases have been notably steeper for high-EU-exposure foods. That trend has accelerated markedly since the
    Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the U.K. and the EU took effect
    at the beginning of 2021, effectively marking the end of Britain’s membership in the EU trade bloc.

The LSE analysis found that of Britain’s 25-per-cent increase in food prices since the end of 2019, nearly one-third can be attributed to the Brexit split. Just since January of 2022, the researchers estimated,
    foods more exposed to EU imports have risen 3.5 percentage points more
    than the less-exposed group.

The researchers said that these inflationary effects “were entirely
    driven by products with high non-tariff barriers.” This refers to cross-border restrictions such as regulatory and sanitary standards, labelling requirements and customs inspections that can significantly
    slow trade flows and add costs, and are particularly intensive for foods
    such as meat and cheese. Within the EU, members have mutual exemptions
    from many such measures; outside of the EU, British consumers must
    shoulder these costly trade barriers.

Buyfrom outside the EU, then you don’t have to be jerked about because of their “If you leave, we will hurt you” philosophy.

Beyond non-tariff barriers, Brexit has also added to Britain’s labour shortages, as the free movement of in-demand workers from EU countries
    has ended. A study from the Centre for European Reform estimated that
    Brexit has cost the British labour market more than 300,000 workers.
    Extreme tightness in the labour market has fuelled wage inflation: Three-month wage growth was running at an annual rate of more than 7 per cent in April.

Now, clearly, Brexit isn’t to blame for all of this mess. As Canadians
    know all too well, Britain holds no monopoly on high inflation, or
    strained labour markets or rising interest rates. But Brexit has
    absolutely added to the economic pressures, and misery, that have left Britain in considerably worse shape than many of its global peers.

“Brexit did not cause all of the UK’s economic problems, but it made almost all of them worse,” said Adam Posen, head of the Peterson
    Institute for International Economics, a U.S. think tank, in an op-ed in
    the Financial Times last week.

Lord knows that Andrew Bailey – along with central bankers in many other countries, including Canada – has a share of the blame for misreading
    early inflation signs and acting later than he should have to raise
    interest rates. But mistakes in a complicated economic time are one
    thing; the self-inflicted wound of Brexit is something else entirely.

Nigel Farage and his Brexiteer bedfellows seduced Brits with
    unsubstantiated claims and unrealistic promises, and this is the price
    the country is paying. If Mr. Farage insists on laying blame, he might
    start by looking in a mirror.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 27 11:36:50 2023
    See what I mean about some people not growing up as they age?

Well illustrated by the imperatives of fighting lost battles and an
    inability to see anything other that what agrees with their schoolboy philosophy, as exemplified by yet another one-sided post.

Back in 2013, prime minister David Cameron promised a referendum on
    leaving the EU. He didn't want to leave, he just wanted to stop the right wing of the Conservative Party "banging on about Europe".

That went well.

Cameron is now living a quiet life in a £16,500 shepherd's hut in his
    garden in Chipping Norton. He resigned the day after the shock result of
    the 2016 referendum.

His selfish political gamble opened the way for Theresa May, Boris
    Johnson, Liz Truss and now Rishi Sunak. As leaders of the still divided Tories, their job has been to turn slogans from an ugly and divisive referendum campaign into a functioning way of running the country.

The huge turnover at Cameron's former gaff in Downing Street suggests
    that this is not as easy as putting a glib promise on the side of a bus.

Current problems, from the increase in migrants willing to risk their
    lives crossing the Channel in inflatable dinghies to the price of salad,
    have their roots in Brexit.

Take the right-wingers Cameron tried to shut up. They are still there, demanding that the referendum promise to reduce immigration to the tens
    of thousands be honoured.

But there are massive job vacancies left by EU workers who wouldn't or couldn't stick around after Brexit and there are not enough home-grown workers to pick the lettuces. (Or make the coffees. Or be the GP.)

Meanwhile, because the UK does not work with European partners on
    immigration issues, there are increasing numbers boarding dangerous small boats. Overall migration is at a record high.

That ramps up the pain on the Prime Minister. But Brexit has brought
    misery to all our lives.

Inflation, currently 8.7 per cent, comes from the increased costs of importing food and other goods. But it's also caused by rising wages,
    which are caused by staff shortages.

The cost of fuel is also a factor. We were promised reduced fuel prices. Instead the pound's value is in the toilet. The UK is left buying oil and
    gas with a weak currency, in a market already savaged by the war in Ukraine.

Those puny pounds do not go far if we brave the airport queues and go to Europe on holiday. Once there, we need decent health insurance. A blue passport is not much help to a broken leg.

Brexit has shrunk the UK and turned us inward. Investment has fallen -
    why would an international company choose to put a factory or office here?

If they want to export to the EU they face horrendous red tape. If their staff want to go anywhere they will have to queue at the airport .

In February, AstraZeneca, the firm that made the Covid vaccine, announced
    its new factory would be in Ireland. We are losing out on lucrative international business.

British universities used to carry out billions of pounds worth of pharmaceutical research, funded by the EU. Those jobs and opportunities,
    all that potential, gone.

The idea that the NHS would get an extra £350million a week is perhaps
    one of the sickest jokes ever played on the electorate. Brexit has
    damaged our precious health service in many ways, from staff shortages to gaps in drug supplies.

Fishermen thought they would get rid of their hated quotas at last.
    Instead Brexit has been a disaster for the industry and left many feeling used then discarded as the campaign ended.

Complaining is very unattractive, which is why the right tagged those of
    us who thought it was bonkers to leave the EU as "remoaners". But in the
    face of something obviously disastrous, a negative response is the
    correct response. And it's hard to overstate how damaging Brexit has been .

What makes it so heartbreaking is that it was all so unnecessary.

Brexit was a referendum held by an overconfident prime minister who
    thought it would put his internal snipers' gas at a peep.

It was fought using phony promises and wildly misleading figures. The
    Leave vote ended Cameron's career. It left us with Theresa May, who did
    her limited best to make it work, then Boris Johnson who could not be bothered to read the small print, or stop smirking and appreciate the
    gravity of what was at stake.

The mess they have left will take decades to clean up. They printed lies
    on the side of a bus. Then they threw the country under it.

Brexit has seeped into every corner of our lives.

It affects our huge decisions - where do we want to live, or study, or retire?

And our smaller ones, like where we go on holiday or whether or not we
    put Greek olives and Spanish tomatoes into our shopping trolleys.

Businesses have to cope with everything from screeds of paperwork and
    extra taxes to staff shortages and price increases. Even charities have
    seen their European funding dry up.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/how-tories-broke-britain-reckless-30317341?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 27 05:50:08 2023
    On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 11:40:24 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote: QUOTE: > One day after another dismaying U.K. inflation report, Nigel Farage – champion of Brexit, current TV talk show host – went on a Twitter offensive.

His target: Bank of England Governor. ENDS

Farage is the offensive one - clueless as per usual and wrong.
    All Frogface has done has wrecked the economy and the GBP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzoWfNuWYAQjCsO?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 27 15:41:37 2023
    On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 11:40:24 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote: QUOTE: > One day after another dismaying U.K. inflation report, Nigel
    Farage – champion of Brexit, current TV talk show host – went on a Twitter offensive.

One man, all on his own, did that?

There must be many politicians looking up and saying “Einmal solche Macht
    in meinen Händen zu Haben!”

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 27 09:31:47 2023
    On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 1:50:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 11:40:24 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote: QUOTE: > One day after another dismaying U.K. inflation report, Nigel Farage – champion of Brexit, current TV talk show host – went on a Twitter offensive.

Follow the money - they have.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzpJQIwXwAYhKPB?format=jpg&name=900x900

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 6 15:54:07 2023
    On 27/06/2023 11:40 am, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

Not really. That was Carney - the self-sworn enemy of savings account
    holders.

Bailey has actually presided over the start of a return towards sanity
    on interest rates and returns on deposits.

The tirade came just hours before the Bank of England did, indeed, increase its policy rate by half a percentage point to 5 per cent, escalating its uphill battle against Britain’s serious inflation problem. The U.K. inflation rate was 8.7 per cent
    in May, among the highest in the industrialized world. It’s nearly double Canada’s rate. It’s 2.6 percentage points higher than the euro zone average.
    Mr. Farage’s bit of political theatre likely made him seem pretty clever to his supporters, staunch euro-skeptics who voted in 2016 to pull Britain out of the European Union. Mr. Farage even sprinkled some Brexit ideology into his anti-Bailey mix,
    arguing that what the country really needed in a central bank boss was “a Brexiteer … someone who believed in making us competitive.”
    But his offensive is a smokescreen. He wants to deflect blame from where it clearly belongs: on Brexit itself.

Is that why other European countries have also had similar inflation and similar rate increases to combat said inflation?

Britain’s withdrawal from the European trade bloc is a major contributor to the country’s sad inflation story. It has exacerbated strains on supply chains and labour markets throughout the recovery from the COVID-19 recession. It has created new
    cross-border complications and paperwork headaches for importers. The effect has been to pile additional costs onto an already steeply inflationary global environment.
    The damage is most readily apparent in Britain’s soaring food prices. Year-over-year food inflation was 18.4 per cent in May, down only slightly from the peak of 19.2 per cent in March. (By comparison, Canada’s food inflation in April – the
    latest figures available – was 8.3 per cent.) In the past few months, the British have endured the highest food inflation in 45 years.
    Food prices throughout Europe have soared in the past year; Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and unfavourable crop-growing weather have hurt the entire region.

Oh...?

Not just the UK, then?

Still, Britain’s food inflation rate is far above the euro area’s average of 13.7 per cent in May.
    Researchers at the London School of Economics recently dug into price data to quantify the proportion of food inflation attributable to Brexit effects. They looked at food products that were more exposed to imports from EU countries prior to the Brexit
    referendum of 2016, compared with products that have less EU import exposure.
    Prior to Brexit, there was little difference in inflation between the two groups. Since then, price increases have been notably steeper for high-EU-exposure foods. That trend has accelerated markedly since the Trade and Cooperation Agreement between
    the U.K. and the EU took effect at the beginning of 2021, effectively marking the end of Britain’s membership in the EU trade bloc.
    The LSE analysis found that of Britain’s 25-per-cent increase in food prices since the end of 2019, nearly one-third can be attributed to the Brexit split. Just since January of 2022, the researchers estimated, foods more exposed to EU imports have
    risen 3.5 percentage points more than the less-exposed group.
    The researchers said that these inflationary effects “were entirely driven by products with high non-tariff barriers.” This refers to cross-border restrictions such as regulatory and sanitary standards, labelling requirements and customs
    inspections that can significantly slow trade flows and add costs, and are particularly intensive for foods such as meat and cheese. Within the EU, members have mutual exemptions from many such measures; outside of the EU, British consumers must shoulder
    these costly trade barriers.
    Beyond non-tariff barriers, Brexit has also added to Britain’s labour shortages, as the free movement of in-demand workers from EU countries has ended. A study from the Centre for European Reform estimated that Brexit has cost the British labour
    market more than 300,000 workers. Extreme tightness in the labour market has fuelled wage inflation: Three-month wage growth was running at an annual rate of more than 7 per cent in April.
    Now, clearly, Brexit isn’t to blame for all of this mess.

Oh... right.

Write it down, Master Secretary: "...clearly, Brexit isn't to blame for
    all of this mess...".

As Canadians know all too well, Britain holds no monopoly on high inflation, or strained labour markets or rising interest rates. But Brexit has absolutely added to the economic pressures, and misery, that have left Britain in considerably worse shape
    than many of its global peers.
    “Brexit did not cause all of the UK’s economic problems, but it made almost all of them worse,” said Adam Posen, head of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a U.S. think tank, in an op-ed in the Financial Times last week.
    Lord knows that Andrew Bailey – along with central bankers in many other countries, including Canada – has a share of the blame for misreading early inflation signs and acting later than he should have to raise interest rates.

Yes, there's that.

But God loves a sinner who comes to repentance. An unrepentant sinner
    (Carney, for instance), not so much.

But mistakes in a complicated economic time are one thing; the self-inflicted wound of Brexit is something else entirely.
    Nigel Farage and his Brexiteer bedfellows seduced Brits with unsubstantiated claims and unrealistic promises, and this is the price the country is paying. If Mr. Farage insists on laying blame, he might start by looking in a mirror.

Where do the Amsterdam parking spaces come into your rant above?

You DID write it yourself, didn't you?

You certainly haven't credited it to anyone else, even though it does
    read as quite a bit above your IQ grade.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 6 08:24:40 2023

These are the typical morons who voted to ruin the UK.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0XQQBYX0AEiFTu?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 6 08:38:55 2023
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0XTdAdWYAAxI1R?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 6 15:48:42 2023

And where is the photo of the typical morons who couldn’t think for themselves and see even after 43 years how corrupt the EU had become. Their accounting system didn’t even have simple double-entry bookkeeping! No
    wonder independent accountants wouldn’t sign off the EU’s accounts. And people actually voted for more of the same! How dim…

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 6 09:01:53 2023
    On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 4:24:42 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

I forgot these racist twats.
    Thick as mince.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0XYv8EXwAM9DS7?format=jpg&name=medium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 6 16:04:53 2023

Thick as mince.

What’s ’racist’ about winning two World Wars and a Referendum?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 6 09:09:36 2023
    On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 5:01:55 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Thick as mince.

Can't even spell either - C2DE thicko.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 6 17:53:48 2023
    On 06/07/2023 05:09 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote [the Chief Chav] :

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 5:01:55 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 4:24:42 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

Thick as mince.

Oh... the irony!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 6 10:05:44 2023
    Thick as mince.

Fits his demographic perfectly.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0XnGoDWAAoKbAP?format=jpg&name=small

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05