• Cyclist accidentally finishes London to Brighton bike ride

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 21 22:02:28 2023
    A cyclist says he was shocked when, completing his afternoon ride, he accidentally finished the London to Brighton cycle.

Matt Whistler was riding along the Old Steine in Brighton when he realised that he had joined the route for the annual event.

Too embarrassed to admit his mistake, Matt rounded the corner towards Madeira Terrace, crossing the finishing and receiving a finishers medal.

Matt, 51, from Preston Park, said: “It was funny going through the finish line.

“I was only with two or three cyclists so I just thought it was a busy day. I had no idea the race was on.

“I was too embarrassed to say I took a wrong turn. I wanted to get into the spirit of the event.”

Matt, an artist and comedian, was cycling towards the beach to write some poetry.

He was also beginning training for his upcoming endurance race where he is attempting to run down every street in Brighton and Hove.

The London to Brighton Bike Ride is one of the biggest fundraising events in the city and is organised by the British Heart Foundation.

Cyclists begin in the capital before heading through Surrey and Sussex, finally ending on Madeira Drive.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23604661.cyclist-accidentally-finishes-london-brighton-bike-ride/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 22 14:50:22 2023
    On 22/06/2023 06:02 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

A cyclist says he was shocked when, completing his afternoon ride, he accidentally finished the London to Brighton cycle.
    Matt Whistler was riding along the Old Steine in Brighton when he realised that he had joined the route for the annual event.
    Too embarrassed to admit his mistake, Matt rounded the corner towards Madeira Terrace, crossing the finishing and receiving a finishers medal.
    “I was only with two or three cyclists so I just thought it was a busy day. I had no idea the race was on.
    “I was too embarrassed to say I took a wrong turn. I wanted to get into the spirit of the event.”
    Matt, an artist and comedian, was cycling towards the beach to write some poetry.
    He was also beginning training for his upcoming endurance race where he is attempting to run down every street in Brighton and Hove.
    The London to Brighton Bike Ride is one of the biggest fundraising events in the city and is organised by the British Heart Foundation.
    Cyclists begin in the capital before heading through Surrey and Sussex, finally ending on Madeira Drive.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23604661.cyclist-accidentally-finishes-london-brighton-bike-ride/

A dishonest chav on a bike?

Or should one say "another dishonest chav on a bike"?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 22 14:40:01 2023
    Of course, the errant cyclist did the right thing, and handed his medal
    back?

swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 22 08:38:42 2023
    On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 6:02:30 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

No reports of gammons getting trapped in their homes - funny that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 22 16:06:14 2023
    On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 6:02:30 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    A cyclist says he was shocked when, completing his afternoon ride, he
    accidentally finished the London to Brighton cycle.

Matt Whistler was riding along the Old Steine in Brighton when he
    realised that he had joined the route for the annual event.

Too embarrassed to admit his mistake, Matt rounded the corner towards
    Madeira Terrace, crossing the finishing and receiving a finishers medal.

“I was only with two or three cyclists so I just thought it was a busy
    day. I had no idea the race was on.

“I was too embarrassed to say I took a wrong turn. I wanted to get into
    the spirit of the event.”

He was also beginning training for his upcoming endurance race where he
    is attempting to run down every street in Brighton and Hove.

The London to Brighton Bike Ride is one of the biggest fundraising
    events in the city and is organised by the British Heart Foundation.

Cyclists begin in the capital before heading through Surrey and Sussex,
    finally ending on Madeira Drive.

Viet Nam veterans threw their medals over the barriers so hastily put up to protect the US Capitol building, so you’d think that a cyclist that merely barged into a race that he never entered for could manage to hand his one
    back.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 22 09:32:38 2023

Did someone say "gammons"?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzPZiqjXsAA0n6v?format=jpg&name=small

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 22 21:36:50 2023

Did someone say "gammons"?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzPZiqjXsAA0n6v?format=jpg&name=small

The cyclist should send the medal back.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 22 22:31:32 2023
    QUOTE: One of the UK’s largest charity cycling events takes place this Sunday. It’s the 41st annual London to Brighton Bike Ride.

Starting at Clapham Common, the 54-mile route will take thousands of cyclists through the Surrey and Sussex countryside, before descending down into Brighton and across the finish line at Madeira Drive along Brighton seafront.

See below for road closures:

Road Closures

Chapel Road, Redehall Road and Antlands Lane will be closed from 5.30am, expected to reopen 2pm. Effingham Road, from Keeper’s Corner to West Park Road, from 5.45am to 2.15pm; West Park Road to Dukes Head Roundabout, from 6am to 2.30pm.

A one way southbound system will be in place on the B2028 and North Street in Turners Hill from 6.30am to 4.30pm, the B2028 to Summerfield Lane via Ardingly until 5pm and Oathall and Hazelgrove Road, from Oathall Avenue to Sussex Square roundabout, and
    the B2112 from Rocky Lane to Folders Lane until 5.30pm.

The B2112 to Ditchling will be closed from 6am to 5.30pm. Northend Lane to Beacon Road, over Ditchling Beacon to Coldean Lane will be closed from 6am to 6pm. ENDS

HOW DID THEY ALL SURVIVE?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 23 08:17:02 2023
    Send the medal back. It’s the honourable thing to do.

QUOTE: One of the UK’s largest charity cycling events takes place this Sunday. It’s the 41st annual London to Brighton Bike Ride.

Starting at Clapham Common, the 54-mile route will take thousands of
    cyclists through the Surrey and Sussex countryside, before descending
    down into Brighton and across the finish line at Madeira Drive along Brighton seafront.

See below for road closures:

Road Closures

Chapel Road, Redehall Road and Antlands Lane will be closed from 5.30am, expected to reopen 2pm. Effingham Road, from Keeper’s Corner to West Park Road, from 5.45am to 2.15pm; West Park Road to Dukes Head Roundabout, from 6am to 2.30pm.

A one way southbound system will be in place on the B2028 and North
    Street in Turners Hill from 6.30am to 4.30pm, the B2028 to Summerfield
    Lane via Ardingly until 5pm and Oathall and Hazelgrove Road, from Oathall Avenue to Sussex Square roundabout, and the B2112 from Rocky Lane to
    Folders Lane until 5.30pm.

The B2112 to Ditchling will be closed from 6am to 5.30pm. Northend Lane
    to Beacon Road, over Ditchling Beacon to Coldean Lane will be closed from 6am to 6pm. ENDS

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 23 02:24:48 2023
    The B2112 to Ditchling will be closed from 6am to 5.30pm. Northend Lane to Beacon Road, over Ditchling Beacon to Coldean Lane will be closed from 6am to 6pm. ENDS

Do meals on wheels still deliver to the senile and bewildered?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 23 10:25:44 2023
    On 23/06/2023 10:24 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

You ought to be able to answer that.

Who else?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 23 02:31:12 2023
    On Friday, 23 June 2023 at 10:24:50 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Either way they are a drain on we taxpayers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Fri Jun 23 10:40:35 2023
    On 23/06/2023 10:31 am, Simon Mason wrote:

Are you familiar, M'Lud, with the distinctions between the various noun
    and pronoun cases and declensions?

Now come on... that's only three syllables...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Fri Jun 23 10:41:29 2023
    Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Friday, 23 June 2023 at 10:31:13 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
    The B2112 to Ditchling will be closed from 6am to 5.30pm. Northend
    Lane to Beacon Road, over Ditchling Beacon to Coldean Lane will be
    closed from 6am to 6pm. ENDS

They were promised untold riches after Brexit as well.

When all else fails…wheel out Brexit.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Fri Jun 23 06:18:21 2023
    On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 10:41:54 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
    On Friday, 23 June 2023 at 10:31:13 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

They were promised untold riches after Brexit as well.

The UK’s trade deficit with the European Union widened to a record in the final quarter of 2022 as imports from the bloc jumped.

The shortfall in the balance of trade in goods ballooned to £32.9 billion ($39.9 billion) in the three months to December, according to official data, the largest gap since records began in 1997.

THE BREXTARDS WERE PROMISED SUNLIT UPLANDS AND UNICORNS - FOOLS.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 23 13:40:17 2023

The UK’s trade deficit with the European Union widened to a record in the final quarter of 2022 as imports from the bloc jumped.

The shortfall in the balance of trade in goods ballooned to £32.9 billion ($39.9 billion) in the three months to December, according to official
    data, the largest gap since records began in 1997.

In May last year, British exports to the EU were not just the highest since Brexit, but the highest *since* *records* *began*.

THE BREXTARDS WERE PROMISED SUNLIT UPLANDS AND UNICORNS - FOOLS.

OK SO WHAT DID THE REMAINTARDS PROMISE?

MORE OF THE SAME?

FOOLS.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 23 08:23:40 2023
    Some of the British Heart Foundation's London to Brighton riders were faced with scenes of gridlock as they rode the final metres of the 54-mile charity ride on Sunday after a lack of segregation meant traffic filled a lane designated for the event.

In scenes seen in a video shot by local news outlet The Argus (link is external), and shared on Facebook, riders negotiating the final stages in Brighton can be seen weaving between stationary vehicles in both lanes.

Signs were put up to inform road users the left-hand lane was supposed to be used by the event, however it seems a lack of segregation meant by the time the riders seen in the video reached the Grand Parade it was full of traffic.

Despite the ugly pictures, Elizabeth Tack, operations lead at the British Heart Foundation said they received "positive feedback" from event control about traffic flow at the scene and the police reported "no incidents".

"We had positive feedback from the ground and event control said that the aquarium roundabout was working well and allowing all traffic to flow east and west when safe to do so. Police who were present on the ground at this point reported no incidents to
    us in event control," she said.

"While we're not able to close the Grand Parade, we have a dedicated cone line for cyclists for the last 250 metres of the ride.

"To help relieve traffic in the lead up to Brighton Pier, we started pausing cyclists from 9am at the top of Coldean Lane and the junction with Ditchling Road to minimise the flow of riders coming into town.

"We work closely with Brighton and Hove City Council to minimise any disruption caused by our London to Brighton Bike," she concluded, before adding that the event is organised following a "thorough" consultation with the city council and other relevant
    authorities.

"A small section of the event route on Grand Parade, between Kingswood Street to the Marlborough and Old Steine junction, did not have a section of road dedicated to the London to Brighton Bike Ride," a spokesperson from the council explained.

"Working with organisers, we agreed a route that we felt would minimise disruption through the new-look Valley Gardens. As we do with all events in the city, we will review any issues raised with organisers during a thorough debrief and agree any changes
    needed for next year's bike ride."

The popular charity ride returned to the roads of the south of England on Father's Day following a two-year hiatus during the pandemic.

More than 14,000 riders, including Mayor of London Sadiq Khan took part in the event, which raises money for the British Heart Foundation's research into preventing, diagnosing and curing heart and circulatory diseases.

"It was a fantastic day," he told event staff. "The atmosphere was amazing, especially the crowds coming into Brighton cheering us on. I am so proud to be raising money for the BHF in memory of my great friend Ricky. He was a superb band member, and we
    shared some great moments together. But more importantly, he was a just a lovely guy. He was taken too soon, and we all miss him dearly."

London to Brighton riders have raised more than £70 million for the charity in its 45 years of running, with the BHF's Chief Executive concluding they are "thrilled to be back".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05