• Road rage driver threatened to kill cyclist in Newport

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 19 08:42:04 2023
    A ROAD rage motorist threatened to kill a cyclist before driving his car at him in a "terrifying" ordeal.

Edward Shane revved the engine of his Citroen DS 4 and “used it as a weapon” and accelerated at Marcus Twine before crashing into a lamppost the victim was sheltering behind.

The 69-year-old defendant was “drunk” at the time and made a series of chilling threats during the bizarre incident on Newport’s Heidenheim Drive.

Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and chased him before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you.

“I would f****** love to kill you. You are going to die on this road today.”

Cardiff Crown Court was told the violence erupted after the defendant had beeped Mr Twine who asked him what his problem was at traffic lights near Sainsbury’s.

Shane got out of his vehicle after they swore at each other and he punched him before the victim kicked him twice in self-defence, once when he’d picked his bicycle up in the air.

Mr Twine had told the defendant to stop and that he was bleeding but he kept coming at him.

When Shane drove his car at him when he was behind the lamppost he hit the victim’s bike.

Mr Strobl added: The victim feared for his life and genuinely thought he was going to be killed at that point.

“He was trying to hide behind cars while the defendant was saying, ‘I’m going to kill you’”

Mr Twine described the episode as a “near death experience” and he managed to call 999 after running across the road to the Sainsbury’s petrol station.

“An officer arrested the defendant and she said she could smell intoxicants on his breath but he refused to be breathalysed,” the prosecutor told the court.

“He was taken to hospital because of his injuries and he continued to say he was going to kill Mr Twine one way or another.

“The defendant said he was going to get a hit on him and he knew people who would kill for him.”

Police took a blood sample from him at the hospital which showed he had 175 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood which means he was more than twice the legal limit for drink driving.

Shane, of Merlin Crescent, Newport admitted making threats to kill, dangerous driving, assault by beating, criminal damage, drink driving and failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

The offences occurred at around 4.30pm on Tuesday, August 9 last year.

The defendant had eight previous convictions for 15 offences with the last being for drink driving in 2003.

Stuart John representing Shane said his client had been receiving counselling about his drinking and was capable of being rehabilitated in the community.

The judge, Recorder Simon Hughes, told the defendant Mr Twine would have been “terrified”.

Shane was jailed for 18 months but the sentence was suspended for two years.

He was made the subject of a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement and ordered to pay his victim £200 in compensation.

The defendant must also pay £415 costs and a £187 surcharge.

Shane was banned from driving for three years and will have to sit an extended retest.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/23599279.road-rage-driver-threatened-kill-cyclist-newport/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 19 16:47:08 2023
    On 19/06/2023 04:42 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    A ROAD rage motorist threatened to kill a cyclist before driving his car at him in a "terrifying" ordeal.

Edward Shane revved the engine of his Citroen DS 4 and “used it as a weapon” and accelerated at Marcus Twine before crashing into a lamppost the victim was sheltering behind.

The 69-year-old defendant was “drunk” at the time and made a series of chilling threats during the bizarre incident on Newport’s Heidenheim Drive.

Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and chased him before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you.

Cardiff Crown Court was told the violence erupted after the defendant had beeped Mr Twine who asked him what his problem was at traffic lights near Sainsbury’s.

Shane got out of his vehicle after they swore at each other and he punched him before the victim kicked him twice in self-defence, once when he’d picked his bicycle up in the air.

Mr Twine had told the defendant to stop and that he was bleeding but he kept coming at him.

When Shane drove his car at him when he was behind the lamppost he hit the victim’s bike.

Mr Strobl added: The victim feared for his life and genuinely thought he was going to be killed at that point.

“He was trying to hide behind cars while the defendant was saying, ‘I’m going to kill you’”

Mr Twine described the episode as a “near death experience” and he managed to call 999 after running across the road to the Sainsbury’s petrol station.

“An officer arrested the defendant and she said she could smell intoxicants on his breath but he refused to be breathalysed,” the prosecutor told the court.

“He was taken to hospital because of his injuries and he continued to say he was going to kill Mr Twine one way or another.

“The defendant said he was going to get a hit on him and he knew people who would kill for him.”

Police took a blood sample from him at the hospital which showed he had 175 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood which means he was more than twice the legal limit for drink driving.

Shane, of Merlin Crescent, Newport admitted making threats to kill, dangerous driving, assault by beating, criminal damage, drink driving and failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

The defendant had eight previous convictions for 15 offences with the last being for drink driving in 2003.

Stuart John representing Shane said his client had been receiving counselling about his drinking and was capable of being rehabilitated in the community.

The judge, Recorder Simon Hughes, told the defendant Mr Twine would have been “terrified”.

Shane was jailed for 18 months but the sentence was suspended for two years.

He was made the subject of a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement and ordered to pay his victim £200 in compensation.

Shane was banned from driving for three years and will have to sit an extended retest.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/23599279.road-rage-driver-threatened-kill-cyclist-newport/

"banned from driving"

So now he's just another chav-cyclist. It's all he's qualified for.

Perhaps he'll try your tricks and cycle home from the pub drunk?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to JNugent on Mon Jun 19 15:57:19 2023
    JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
    On 19/06/2023 04:42 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    A ROAD rage motorist threatened to kill a cyclist before driving his car
    at him in a "terrifying" ordeal.

Edward Shane revved the engine of his Citroen DS 4 and “used it as a
    weapon” and accelerated at Marcus Twine before crashing into a lamppost
    the victim was sheltering behind.

The 69-year-old defendant was “drunk” at the time and made a series of >> chilling threats during the bizarre incident on Newport’s Heidenheim Drive.

Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and chased him
    before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you.

Cardiff Crown Court was told the violence erupted after the defendant
    had beeped Mr Twine who asked him what his problem was at traffic lights near Sainsbury’s.

Shane got out of his vehicle after they swore at each other and he
    punched him before the victim kicked him twice in self-defence, once
    when he’d picked his bicycle up in the air.

Mr Twine had told the defendant to stop and that he was bleeding but he
    kept coming at him.

Mr Strobl added: The victim feared for his life and genuinely thought he
    was going to be killed at that point.

“He was trying to hide behind cars while the defendant was saying, ‘I’m
    going to kill you’”

Mr Twine described the episode as a “near death experience” and he
    managed to call 999 after running across the road to the Sainsbury’s petrol station.

“An officer arrested the defendant and she said she could smell
    intoxicants on his breath but he refused to be breathalysed,” the
    prosecutor told the court.

“He was taken to hospital because of his injuries and he continued to
    say he was going to kill Mr Twine one way or another.

“The defendant said he was going to get a hit on him and he knew people
    who would kill for him.”

Police took a blood sample from him at the hospital which showed he had
    175 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood which means he
    was more than twice the legal limit for drink driving.

Shane, of Merlin Crescent, Newport admitted making threats to kill,
    dangerous driving, assault by beating, criminal damage, drink driving
    and failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

The defendant had eight previous convictions for 15 offences with the
    last being for drink driving in 2003.

Stuart John representing Shane said his client had been receiving
    counselling about his drinking and was capable of being rehabilitated in the community.

Shane was jailed for 18 months but the sentence was suspended for two years. >>
    He was made the subject of a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement
    and ordered to pay his victim £200 in compensation.

"banned from driving"

So now he's just another chav-cyclist. It's all he's qualified for.

Perhaps he'll try your tricks and cycle home from the pub drunk?

He’ll probably get a souped-up electric-motor cycle, the law won’t touch him.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 19 10:21:03 2023
    QUOTE: The defendant had eight previous convictions for 15 offences with the last being for drink driving in 2003. ENDS

How many more slaps on the wrist will that twat get before he is caged?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 09:11:44 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
    QUOTE: The defendant had eight previous convictions for 15 offences with
    the last being for drink driving in 2003. ENDS

How many more slaps on the wrist will that twat get before he is caged?

He’ll probably drive with malfunctioning windscreen wipers, and that’ll finish him.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 03:35:34 2023
    QUOTE: Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and chased him before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you. “I would f****** love to kill you. You are going to die on this road today.” ENDS

What's the matter with this court?

QUOTE: What is the sentence for threats to kill?
    The maximum penalty which can be imposed following summary conviction for this offence is an unlimited fine and/or a term of imprisonment not exceeding the general limit in a magistrates' court. ENDS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 12:00:38 2023
    QUOTE: Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and chased
    him before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you. “I would f****** love to kill you. You are going to die on this road today.” ENDS

The maximum penalty which can be imposed following summary conviction for this offence is an unlimited fine and/or a term of imprisonment not
    exceeding the general limit in a magistrates' court. ENDS

Technically speaking, that sounds no different in principle to Mike van twErp’s infamous ‘Touch me and I’ll put you on the ground, matey’.

The statement was dependent on a condition that didn’t exist, so doesn’t count as a threat.

If CyclingMikey can do it…so can others.

Sauce for the goose, and all that.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 05:39:02 2023
    On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 11:35:36 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    QUOTE: Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and chased him before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you. “I would f****** love to kill you. You are going to die on this road today.” ENDS

The maximum penalty which can be imposed following summary conviction for this offence is an unlimited fine and/or a term of imprisonment not exceeding the general limit in a magistrates' court. ENDS

He also had the means to carry out his sinister threat according to the feeble judge:

QUOTE: Edward Shane revved the engine of his Citroen DS 4 and “used it as a weapon” ENDS

So jail the sick bastard before he kills someone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 13:40:06 2023
    On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 11:35:36 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    QUOTE: Nik Stobl, prosecuting, said Shane had punched Mr Twine and
    chased him before he told him: “If I had a gun now, I’d shoot you. “I >> would f****** love to kill you. You are going to die on this road today.” ENDS

The maximum penalty which can be imposed following summary conviction
    for this offence is an unlimited fine and/or a term of imprisonment not
    exceeding the general limit in a magistrates' court. ENDS

He also had the means to carry out his sinister threat according to the feeble judge:

QUOTE: Edward Shane revved the engine of his Citroen DS 4 and “used it as a weapon” ENDS

So jail the sick bastard before he kills someone.

The judge was constrained by the various legal definitions. Following the
    rules isn’t being ‘feeble’.

Let’s hope he doesn’t hear about your £600,000 pension pot, it makes you worth suing.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 08:29:49 2023
    This sounds like a particularly egregious example and yet still only a suspended sentence.

In the early days of lockdown, I had the temerity to wave an arm in protest as a guy punishment passed me close in a village in Kent. I found him waiting for me at the next junction and after a "what the **** did you just say to me", he abandoned his car
    with the door open in the middle of a B-road, got right in my face, told me he was going to kill me and that he was going to run over me and my effing bike. I tried as hard as possible to stay calm and asked him to leave me alone. Cue a bit more swearing
    and ranting and as he moved back towards his car I rode off sharpish. Spent the whole of the rest of the ride looking over my shoulder, convinced he was going to try and find me and knock me off. Fortunately he didn't. The police were pleasant but
    apparently covid made it far too dangerous to investigate the matter any further despite giving them a detailed description of the driver, car and reg.

Bought cameras the next week and been using them ever since but you wonder what standard of evidence is required for any of these incidents to result in any sort of meaningful punishment.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 17:58:07 2023
    On 20/06/2023 04:29 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

This sounds like a particularly egregious example and yet still only a suspended sentence.

In the early days of lockdown, I had the temerity to wave an arm in protest as a guy punishment passed me close in a village in Kent.

Did you ride your fairy-cycle all the way to Kent?

Or is this yet another example of your unattributed plagiarism?

I found him waiting for me at the next junction and after a "what the
    **** did you just say to me", he abandoned his car with the door open in
    the middle of a B-road, got right in my face, told me he was going to
    kill me and that he was going to run over me and my effing bike. I tried
    as hard as possible to stay calm and asked him to leave me alone. Cue a
    bit more swearing and ranting and as he moved back towards his car I
    rode off sharpish. Spent the whole of the rest of the ride looking over
    my shoulder, convinced he was going to try and find me and knock me off. Fortunately he didn't. The police were pleasant but apparently covid
    made it far too dangerous to investigate the matter any further despite
    giving them a detailed description of the driver, car and reg.

Bought cameras the next week and been using them ever since but you wonder what standard of evidence is required for any of these incidents to result in any sort of meaningful punishment.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 10:07:33 2023
    "As the cyclist looked up he saw Shane revving his engine and driving towards him.

Mr Twine went behind a lamppost as Shane accelerated towards him, smashing into the street light, damaging it, his car and the rider's bike."

This is attempted murder. He threatened to murder someone and then tried to murder them. Only through his victim's quick thinking was he unsuccessful.

He should be in prison for decades. Someone like that shouldn't be on our streets, with or without a car.

He quite literally used his vehicle as a deadly weapon and proved that he should never be allowed behind the wheel of a car again... a three year ban doesn't really seem appropriate really does it.

If I had a gun licence and decided in a drunken state to get angry and shoot at someone, they would take the gun off me and I would never be allowed to own a gun again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 20:58:43 2023
    On 20/06/2023 06:07 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

"As the cyclist looked up he saw Shane revving his engine and driving towards him.

Mr Twine went behind a lamppost as Shane accelerated towards him, smashing into the street light, damaging it, his car and the rider's bike."

This is attempted murder.

Is it?

Did the CPS and the court agree with you?

He threatened to murder someone and then tried to murder them. Only through his victim's quick thinking was he unsuccessful.

He should be in prison for decades. Someone like that shouldn't be on our streets, with or without a car.

He quite literally used his vehicle as a deadly weapon and proved that he should never be allowed behind the wheel of a car again... a three year ban doesn't really seem appropriate really does it.

If I had a gun licence and decided in a drunken state to get angry and shoot at someone, they would take the gun off me and I would never be allowed to own a gun again.

Ah... that really does depend on a variety of things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 13:02:33 2023
    EK Spinner replied to TriTaxMan | 566 posts | 6 hours ago
    4 likes

"The baseball bat will be destroyed and forfeited"

apart from the fact that it should be the other way around (forfieted and destroyed) why does this not seem to happen when cars are used to intimidate victims or indeed as weapons, I know it can happen if they aren't taxed and insured properly but
    perhaps it should become the norm with a driving ban too

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 13:03:15 2023
    Don't forget the threats to organise a contract killing which were witnessed by a police officer.

Indeed. His mitigation for the original threat to kill was 'heat of the moment' yet even after a cooling off in an ambulance/ A&E he was still prepared to make further threats, in the presence of the cops FFS. This is an unbelievably lenient sentence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 21:09:47 2023
    On 20/06/2023 09:02 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    EK Spinner replied to TriTaxMan | 566 posts | 6 hours ago
    4 likes

"The baseball bat will be destroyed and forfeited"

apart from the fact that it should be the other way around (forfieted

No.... forfeited...

and destroyed) why does this not seem to happen when cars are used to intimidate victims or indeed as weapons, I know it can happen if they aren't taxed and insured properly but perhaps it should become the norm with a driving ban too

Ask the CPS and the court?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 20 13:12:59 2023
    On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 9:03:17 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    Don't forget the threats to organise a contract killing which were witnessed by a police officer.

Indeed. His mitigation for the original threat to kill was 'heat of the moment' yet even after a cooling off in an ambulance/ A&E he was still prepared to make further threats, in the presence of the cops FFS. This is an unbelievably lenient sentence.

Saw these chavs handcuffed to cops in my 4 months in hospital - usually after they have crashed a car.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05