• Widow of cyclist killed by dangerous driver tells of family's 'utter he

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 16 03:06:35 2023
    A dangerous driver who killed a Scots cyclist and left a second rider seriously injured while distracted by her mobile phone has finally been jailed. Martyn Gall, from Cumnock, Ayrshire, was riding alongside pal James Middleton when they were hit by the
    motor on November 14, 2020.

The dad-of-two was tragically pronounced dead at the scene near Alvechurch, Worcestershire, while James, 33, was rushed to hospital with life-changing injuries. Driver Sania Shabbir has now been sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison after
    admitting her guilt at the start of her trial.

Widow Diane Gall told how the death of her 41-year-old husband had torn the family’s lives apart and vowed to continue campaigning for improved road safety in his memory. She said: “It is good to finally see justice done today, to finally close the
    door on this part of the terrible experience of losing our Martyn.

“However, although nothing could ease the grief that we are suffering, we could have been spared the distress of a prolonged court process if Sania Shabbir had admitted her guilt two-and-a-half years ago, instead of the day her trial was about to start
    last month.

“The sentencing of the driver won’t do anything to fill the massive Martyn-shaped hole in our lives which will never go back to normal because nothing is normal for us any more. The day Martyn died, the lives of all of his family and friends were
    ripped apart and nearly three years later his loss is still unbearable.

“There had to be justice for Martyn’s death. I am an educator, I teach children the same thing that Martyn and I taught our daughters – to tell the truth and take responsibility, no matter how hard that is. It is some relief to us that there will
    be accountability for the terrible loss of Martyn’s life.

“I would like to thank everyone who has supported our girls and me since Martyn’s death, especially RoadPeace. I will continue to work with them to campaign for safety on the roads and I just want to say to all drivers that every day people are
    killed on the roads. Just think about that and don’t be the person whose driving destroys lives.

“We will try to rebuild our lives, but if there is anything Martyn’s death can change for the good, we want it to be safer roads. If I can just make drivers hear my message to drive more carefully so that other families don’t have to go through
    this, so that their dad, husband, or son, wife, mum or daughter is not killed, then maybe something will come out of the utter hell we have suffered.”

Shabbir initially denied two dangerous driving charges but changed her plea on the morning of her trial at Birmingham Crown Court. On Wednesday, she was handed a jail sentence for killing Martin and an additional two-and-a-half year term for seriously
    injuring James, which will be served concurrently.

She was also disqualified from driving for four years nine months, with a condition to pass an extended driving test thereafter. The families of both cyclists are represented by Bethany Sanders, a partner at law firm Leigh Day.

She added: “Many lives were torn apart by the impact of this road traffic collision, and I hope that this sentence serves as a lesson and deterrent to others who drive whilst distracted by their mobile phones.

"To hear of the messages sent, photographs taken and social media apps used during the course of the defendant’s journey, was truly shocking.

"Understandably the victims and their families want to raise awareness of the implications of driving when distracted or not giving full focus when behind the wheel.

“Cars are potentially dangerous weapons and drivers should take their responsibility to other road users, especially cyclists, very seriously.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 16 11:39:15 2023
    On 16/06/2023 11:06 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

A dangerous driver who killed a Scots cyclist and left a second rider seriously injured while distracted by her mobile phone has finally been jailed. Martyn Gall, from Cumnock, Ayrshire, was riding alongside pal James Middleton when they were hit by
    the motor on November 14, 2020.

The dad-of-two was tragically pronounced dead at the scene near Alvechurch, Worcestershire, while James, 33, was rushed to hospital with life-changing injuries. Driver Sania Shabbir has now been sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison after
    admitting her guilt at the start of her trial.

Widow Diane Gall told how the death of her 41-year-old husband had torn the family’s lives apart and vowed to continue campaigning for improved road safety in his memory. She said: “It is good to finally see justice done today, to finally close the
    door on this part of the terrible experience of losing our Martyn.

“However, although nothing could ease the grief that we are suffering, we could have been spared the distress of a prolonged court process if Sania Shabbir had admitted her guilt two-and-a-half years ago, instead of the day her trial was about to
    start last month.

“The sentencing of the driver won’t do anything to fill the massive Martyn-shaped hole in our lives which will never go back to normal because nothing is normal for us any more. The day Martyn died, the lives of all of his family and friends were
    ripped apart and nearly three years later his loss is still unbearable.

“There had to be justice for Martyn’s death. I am an educator, I teach children the same thing that Martyn and I taught our daughters – to tell the truth and take responsibility, no matter how hard that is. It is some relief to us that there will
    be accountability for the terrible loss of Martyn’s life.

“I would like to thank everyone who has supported our girls and me since Martyn’s death, especially RoadPeace. I will continue to work with them to campaign for safety on the roads and I just want to say to all drivers that every day people are
    killed on the roads. Just think about that and don’t be the person whose driving destroys lives.

“We will try to rebuild our lives, but if there is anything Martyn’s death can change for the good, we want it to be safer roads. If I can just make drivers hear my message to drive more carefully so that other families don’t have to go through
    this, so that their dad, husband, or son, wife, mum or daughter is not killed, then maybe something will come out of the utter hell we have suffered.”

Shabbir initially denied two dangerous driving charges but changed her plea on the morning of her trial at Birmingham Crown Court. On Wednesday, she was handed a jail sentence for killing Martin and an additional two-and-a-half year term for seriously
    injuring James, which will be served concurrently.

She was also disqualified from driving for four years nine months, with a condition to pass an extended driving test thereafter. The families of both cyclists are represented by Bethany Sanders, a partner at law firm Leigh Day.

She added: “Many lives were torn apart by the impact of this road traffic collision, and I hope that this sentence serves as a lesson and deterrent to others who drive whilst distracted by their mobile phones.

"To hear of the messages sent, photographs taken and social media apps used during the course of the defendant’s journey, was truly shocking.

"Understandably the victims and their families want to raise awareness of the implications of driving when distracted or not giving full focus when behind the wheel.

“Cars are potentially dangerous weapons and drivers should take their responsibility to other road users, especially cyclists, very seriously.”

You wrote ALL that, did you? ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 16 10:52:10 2023
    You posted a report of the same incident only yesterday, under the title “Jail for driver distracted by social media apps who killed cyclist and
    left another seriously injured”.

swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 16 05:22:44 2023
    QUOTE: Driver Sania Shabbir has now been sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison after admitting her guilt at the start of her trial. ENDS

See how she got a more lenient sentence for fessing up early doors?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 16 13:20:32 2023
    QUOTE: Driver Sania Shabbir has now been sentenced to four-and-a-half
    years in prison after admitting her guilt at the start of her trial. ENDS

She got what you think is a ‘more lenient sentence’ because she was charged with a lesser crime, there was no intent, and there were very much fewer aggravating factors.

Not very good on this law stuff, are you?

[Rhetorical question]

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 16 08:31:43 2023
    On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 1:22:45 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    QUOTE: Driver Sania Shabbir has now been sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison after admitting her guilt at the start of her trial. ENDS

Seems she did no such thing:

QUOTE: Shabbir initially denied two dangerous driving charges but changed her plea on the morning of her trial. ENDS

A cowardly thing to do to the victim's family.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 16 17:19:49 2023
    On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 1:22:45 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    QUOTE: Driver Sania Shabbir has now been sentenced to four-and-a-half
    years in prison after admitting her guilt at the start of her trial. ENDS

Seems she did no such thing:

QUOTE: Shabbir initially denied two dangerous driving charges but changed
    her plea on the morning of her trial. ENDS

A cowardly thing to do to the victim's family.

Thanks for confirming that you don’t read your own reports.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 16 10:35:56 2023
    QUOTE:A dangerous driver who killed a Scots cyclist and left a second rider seriously injured while distracted by her mobile phone has finally been jailed. Martyn Gall, from Cumnock, Ayrshire, was riding alongside pal James Middleton when they were hit
    by the motor on November 14, 2020. ENDS

Spare a nano seconds thought for the poor criminal who had to stew for 2.5 years before getting jailed.
    Must have been very stressful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05