• 'Not a night goes by without nightmares': Cyclist shares 'shocking' vid

From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 18 22:53:20 2023
    A pensioner who was knocked down by a drunk driver while she was cycling has shared the “shocking” footage to warn others.

Ex-cricketer Steven Selwood, 43, who used to play for Derbyshire County Cricket Club, left the woman in her 70s with life-changing injuries after ploughing into her while four times over the limit.

She was cycling over a crossroad in Haslemere, Surrey, last May when Selwood came out of a side road and smashed in her in broad daylight.

Shocking footage of the incident shows Selwood knocking the victim off her back before continuing to drive forward – crushing her under the wheels of his 4x4 as she lay on the ground.

Last month, Selwood, who drove off before walking back to the scene, was jailed for over two years after he was convicted of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving whilst over the prescribed alcohol limit.

Now, the victim has allowed the footage to be released to highlight the impact drink driving can have.

She described how she can no longer do many of her hobbies and is now scared to go near traffic.

In an impact statement, she said: “My sense of loss is deep, my trust in my world evaporated, my sense of hope gone.

“Not a night goes by without nightmares. My life has changed considerably since I was knocked down off my cycle.

"I used to be outgoing, talking a lot to others, going to church, back-packing. I did my own DIY and gardening.

“I was never frightened of traffic like I am today, absolutely terrified with a strong feeling it's going to happen again.

“My worst fear now is that my left leg will not hold me up through weakness which is happening more so these days plus my mental state is not too good.”

Now, the victim has allowed the footage to be released to highlight the impact drink driving can have.

She described how she can no longer do many of her hobbies and is now scared to go near traffic.

In an impact statement, she said: “My sense of loss is deep, my trust in my world evaporated, my sense of hope gone.

“Not a night goes by without nightmares. My life has changed considerably since I was knocked down off my cycle.

The victim added that she “doesn’t laugh any more” and gets “overwhelmed” with everyday occurrences.

Sergeant Joe McGregor, investigating officer for Surrey Police, warned of the dangers of drink driving after Selwood was jailed at Guildford Crown Court.

He said: “This footage is shocking to watch but it may serve as a stark reminder of the dangers posed by those who choose to drink and drive...

“The victim in this case has been left with lifelong physical and mental scars and has bravely said she wants her case to be a warning to anyone who thinks that it is acceptable to drive whilst under the influence. It isn’t. You are putting your life
    and the lives of others at risk.

More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake.

The legal alcohol limit in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for driving is 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood or 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – anything above this means you are breaking the law by
    driving or being in charge of a vehicle.

Police are allowed to stop and breathalyser drivers if they have reason to suspect they have been drinking or have been involved in a crash or committed another traffic offence.

The punishments for drink-driving vary depending on the offence but drink-drivers face possible imprisonment, driving bans and fines if found guilty – and simply being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink could mean
    up to three months in prison, a £2,500 fine and a possible driving ban.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/steven-selwood-jailed-run-over-cyclist-haslemere-surrey-120202573.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri May 19 12:12:59 2023
    On 19/05/2023 06:53 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

A pensioner who was knocked down by a drunk driver while she was cycling has shared the “shocking” footage to warn others.

Ex-cricketer Steven Selwood, 43, who used to play for Derbyshire County Cricket Club, left the woman in her 70s with life-changing injuries after ploughing into her while four times over the limit.

She was cycling over a crossroad in Haslemere, Surrey, last May when Selwood came out of a side road and smashed in her in broad daylight.

Shocking footage of the incident shows Selwood knocking the victim off her back before continuing to drive forward – crushing her under the wheels of his 4x4 as she lay on the ground.

Last month, Selwood, who drove off before walking back to the scene, was jailed for over two years after he was convicted of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving whilst over the prescribed alcohol limit.

Thank goodness drink-driving was made an offence just before this incident.

Most people would probably say it should have been made an offence
    decades ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 04:26:09 2023
    QUOTE: More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS

Cyclists kill 0-2 per year.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri May 19 21:55:56 2023
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

QUOTE: More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS

It’s nearer 5 or 6 per annum.

But your message says “It’s only a few deaths, what do they matter?”.

Which is fairly sick.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Fri May 19 22:10:42 2023
    On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 12:26:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Brake also says:

1,608 people were killed (1,558 in Britain, 50 in Northern Ireland).
    26,701 were seriously injured (25,892 in Britain, 809 in Northern Ireland). Deaths and serious injuries are up 15% on 2020, after falling during the pandemic lockdowns.
    Pre-pandemic and since 2012 there has been little change in the number of deaths and serious injuries annually.

THE CAR-NAGE GOES ON.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat May 20 08:20:06 2023
    QUOTE: More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a
    drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS

Brake also says:

26,701 were seriously injured (25,892 in Britain, 809 in Northern Ireland). Deaths and serious injuries are up 15% on 2020, after falling during the pandemic lockdowns.
    Pre-pandemic and since 2012 there has been little
    change in the number of deaths and serious injuries annually.

THE CAR-NAGE GOES ON.

Interestingly, the per-billion-mile death rate for cyclists is pretty much
    the same for cycle-mad Holland and lardarse Britain.

Why should that be? A dreadful sense of self-entitlement?

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 02:04:54 2023
    QUOTE: Police are allowed to stop and breathalyser drivers if they have reason to suspect they have been drinking or have been involved in a crash or committed another traffic offence. ENDS

More needs to be done to clamp down on the mobile phone nodding dogs who don't even look where they are going.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Spike on Sat May 20 11:18:32 2023
    On 19/05/2023 10:55 pm, Spike wrote:

drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS

It’s nearer 5 or 6 per annum.

But your message says “It’s only a few deaths, what do they matter?”.

Which is fairly sick.

A good - and entirely appropriate - word for the poster concerned.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat May 20 11:19:46 2023
    On 20/05/2023 06:10 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Brake also says:

Well done, Northern Ireland!

NI *used* to be the worst part of the UK for traffic accidents of all
    sorts, certainly including fatal ones.

26,701 were seriously injured (25,892 in Britain, 809 in Northern Ireland).

Well done, Northern Ireland!

NI *used* to be the worst part of the UK for traffic accidents of all
    sorts, certainly including fatal ones.

Deaths and serious injuries are up 15% on 2020, after falling during the pandemic lockdowns.
    Pre-pandemic and since 2012 there has been little change in the number of deaths and serious injuries annually.

THE CAR-NAGE GOES ON.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 03:32:47 2023
    Startling footage, captured on the M4 earlier this year, shows an HGV driver holding two mobile phones, one to each ear.

But what he didn’t realise was the vehicle travelling alongside was an unmarked National Highways ‘HGV cab’ – and there were two police officers inside.

The footage, taken between junctions 18 and 17 by Avon and Somerset Police, captures one of over 21,000 offences recorded by officers in the Operation Tramline HGV cabs since the national safety initiative was launched by National Highways, formerly
    Highways England.

The National Highways HGV cabs are now being used as part of a multi-agency fortnight of action along the M4 and M5, taking place from Monday 13 September to Sunday 26 September, which aims to reduce the number of incidents on the motorways and highlight
    the risks of dangerous driving.

Elsewhere in the South West, a truck driver who initially provided false details to Devon and Cornwall Police during an operation last month was later identified as disqualified and arrested, while Wiltshire Police caught a motorist speeding at 121mph
    along the M4 during a four-day operation earlier this year.

Devon and Cornwall Police’s July operation recorded:

7 people driving without a seat belt
    15 driving while using a mobile phone at the wheel
    2 positive cases of drug driving
    66 offences in total, including 10 speeding and 4 with no insurance.

In just four days, the Wiltshire force dealt with drivers for the following offences:

19 driving without a seat belt
    8 driving while using a mobile phone at the wheel
    1 arrest for possession of Class B drugs
    6 Traffic Offence Reports for speeding, with 121mph being the fastest

A Gloucestershire Police operation in May saw:

44 driving without a seat belt
    19 driving while using a mobile phone at the wheel
    8 Traffic Offence Reports for speeding
    8 other misdemeanours, including two insecure loads and one of driving with no insurance

Avon and Somerset Police, meanwhile, have utilised the HGV cab over four weeks this year, and recorded the following offences in that time:

186 driving without a seat belt
    26 driving while using a mobile phone at the wheel
    17 Traffic Offence Reports for speeding
    129 other offences, including insecure loads and driving without due care and attention

Under the banner of Operation Peninsula, the campaign will be operating along the M4 between junctions 14 and 18, and the M5 from junction 8 to junction 31.

National Highways deals with countless incidents on the M5 and M4 motorways, and in the latest figures, the company attended a large number of traffic collisions - 526 on the M4 and 821 on the M5 in 2019. Since the launch of Operation Tramline in 2015,
    more than 21,600 offences have been recorded on the National Highways motorway network. The most common offences have included:

using a mobile phone – 6,073
    not wearing a seatbelt – 6,253
    not in proper control of vehicle – 1,501
    speeding – 1,199

In total, 19,564 vehicles have been stopped in Operation Tramline between July 2015 and April 2021. In that time, a number of bizarre and dangerous behaviours have been spotted:

a driver steering a lorry with his knees while eating lunch on his lap and using a phone in the East Midlands
    in West Mercia, a driver eating lasagne with a knife and fork while driving along a motorway
    a HGV driver boiling a kettle on the dashboard and another eating pickled gherkins from a jar with his elbows on the steering wheel in Surrey

Nicholas Reed, National Highways’ Road Safety Lead for the South West, said:

The HGV cabs are an important part of our commitment to tackling unsafe driving and those who take unnecessary risks with their own safety and that of others on the road.

The number of people found using their mobile phone while driving is quite alarming. You are four times more likely to be in a crash if you use your phone and, if caught, face a £200 fine and six points on your licence.

Through this fortnight of action on the M5 and M4 we want to make all of our roads safer by raising awareness and encouraging motorists to consider their driving behaviour.

From their elevated viewpoint in the unmarked HGV cabs, police officers are able to spot people driving dangerously – whatever vehicle they may be in.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat May 20 11:53:12 2023
    On 20/05/2023 11:32 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Startling footage, captured on the M4 earlier this year, shows an HGV driver holding two mobile phones, one to each ear.
    But what he didn’t realise was the vehicle travelling alongside was an unmarked National Highways ‘HGV cab’ – and there were two police officers inside.
    The footage, taken between junctions 18 and 17 by Avon and Somerset Police, captures one of over 21,000 offences recorded by officers in the Operation Tramline HGV cabs since the national safety initiative was launched by National Highways, formerly
    Highways England.
    The National Highways HGV cabs are now being used as part of a multi-agency fortnight of action along the M4 and M5, taking place from Monday 13 September to Sunday 26 September, which aims to reduce the number of incidents on the motorways and
    highlight the risks of dangerous driving.
    Elsewhere in the South West, a truck driver who initially provided false details to Devon and Cornwall Police during an operation last month was later identified as disqualified and arrested, while Wiltshire Police caught a motorist speeding at 121mph
    along the M4 during a four-day operation earlier this year.

Not always an offence. There are circumstances in which it is entirely
    [hey! four syllables! look it up!] permissible.

I'm with you on that one. Collins won't be, though.

"Attempting to drive whilst being nothing higher than a
    totally-unqualified chav-cyclist"?

In just four days, the Wiltshire force dealt with drivers for the following offences:

I'm definitely with you on that one (as long as you a proper grown-up
    approach to it, I mean).

Wow...

A Gloucestershire Police operation in May saw:

44 driving without a seat belt

19 driving while using a mobile phone at the wheel

8 Traffic Offence Reports for speeding

8 other misdemeanours, including two insecure loads and one of driving with no insurance

Avon and Somerset Police, meanwhile, have utilised the HGV cab over four weeks this year, and recorded the following offences in that time:

186 driving without a seat belt

26 driving while using a mobile phone at the wheel

17 Traffic Offence Reports for speeding
    129 other offences, including insecure loads and driving without due care and attention

Under the banner of Operation Peninsula, the campaign will be operating along the M4 between junctions 14 and 18, and the M5 from junction 8 to junction 31.

National Highways deals with countless incidents on the M5 and M4 motorways, and in the latest figures, the company attended a large number of traffic collisions - 526 on the M4 and 821 on the M5 in 2019. Since the launch of Operation Tramline in 2015,
    more than 21,600 offences have been recorded on the National Highways motorway network. The most common offences have included:

using a mobile phone – 6,073

not wearing a seatbelt – 6,253

not in proper control of vehicle – 1,501

Sounds like "being nothing more than a chav-cyclist and impersonating a driver".

speeding – 1,199

In total, 19,564 vehicles have been stopped in Operation Tramline between July 2015 and April 2021. In that time, a number of bizarre and dangerous behaviours have been spotted:

a driver steering a lorry with his knees while eating lunch on his lap and using a phone in the East Midlands
    in West Mercia, a driver eating lasagne with a knife and fork while driving along a motorway
    a HGV driver boiling a kettle on the dashboard and another eating pickled gherkins from a jar with his elbows on the steering wheel in Surrey

Nicholas Reed, National Highways’ Road Safety Lead for the South West, said:

The HGV cabs are an important part of our commitment to tackling unsafe driving and those who take unnecessary risks with their own safety and that of others on the road.

The number of people found using their mobile phone while driving is quite alarming. You are four times more likely to be in a crash if you use your phone and, if caught, face a £200 fine and six points on your licence.

Through this fortnight of action on the M5 and M4 we want to make all of our roads safer by raising awareness and encouraging motorists to consider their driving behaviour.

From their elevated viewpoint in the unmarked HGV cabs, police officers are able to spot people driving dangerously – whatever vehicle they may be in.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 04:00:22 2023
    A lorry driver jailed for killing three people by ploughing into traffic as he looked at his phone has told tearfully how he will regret what he did for the rest of his life.

Ion Onut helped to make a video from his prison cell warning of how using mobiles while driving can ruin lives in an instant.

“It shows you how quickly it happens, and how quickly your life changes from being normal to now being in prison, having a sentence of eight years,” he says in the hard-hitting film.

Onut was using the internet on his phone when he crashed into slow-moving traffic on the northbound carriageway of the A1(M) last July, killing three people and injuring several others.

Forensic examination of his phone found that Onut, of Galashiels, in Scotland, had been repeatedly on the web throughout his journey from Cambridgeshire right up until the collision, at Bowburn, County Durham, last July.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Mason@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 04:51:21 2023
    Dash-cam footage from Michal Kopaniarz's HGV captured the moment the 39-year-old broke the phone in half and discarded it on the verge by a dual carriageway shortly after he ploughed into a broken-down car, killing three people.

Kopaniarz, from Park Road, Donnington, was jailed for 12 years at Winchester Crown Court on Friday after pleading guilty to three charges of causing death by dangerous driving in connection and perverting the course of justice by breaking the Samsung
    mobile phone he had been using.

The court heard how a Vauxhall Astra, driven by 28-year-old university graduate Alex Britton had on the A303 near Andover in Hampshire on August 25 2021. Immediately behind her at the time was Tina Ince. The 58-year-old had been driving a food delivery
    van and stopped to see if she could assist before Tom Watson, 30, stopped in his breakdown recovery truck to offer assistance.

All three were on the westbound carriageway of the main road when Kopaniarz smashed into the vehicles at 56mph, killing all three victims instantly.

Despite trying to destroy his phone, Hampshire Police managed to recover and rebuild it. This allowed investigators to work out that he had shared and watched a seven-minute-and-28-second video on Ladbible shortly before the crash, and had been typing
    his destination into the sat-nav on his phone when he crashed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to JNugent on Sat May 20 11:47:46 2023
    JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
    On 20/05/2023 11:32 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Startling footage, captured on the M4 earlier this year, shows an HGV
    driver holding two mobile phones, one to each ear.
    But what he didn’t realise was the vehicle travelling alongside was an
    unmarked National Highways ‘HGV cab’ – and there were two police officers inside.
    The footage, taken between junctions 18 and 17 by Avon and Somerset
    Police, captures one of over 21,000 offences recorded by officers in the
    Operation Tramline HGV cabs since the national safety initiative was
    launched by National Highways, formerly Highways England.
    The National Highways HGV cabs are now being used as part of a
    multi-agency fortnight of action along the M4 and M5, taking place from
    Monday 13 September to Sunday 26 September, which aims to reduce the
    number of incidents on the motorways and highlight the risks of dangerous driving.
    Elsewhere in the South West, a truck driver who initially provided false
    details to Devon and Cornwall Police during an operation last month was
    later identified as disqualified and arrested, while Wiltshire Police
    caught a motorist speeding at 121mph along the M4 during a four-day
    operation earlier this year.

I'm with you on that one. Collins won't be, though.

I'm definitely with you on that one (as long as you a proper grown-up approach to it, I mean).

Wow...

Do you recall the case from a few years ago, where an off-duty police
    officer decided to take the station’s souped-up chase car for a spin on a motorway?

He reached speeds of, I believe, 134mph.

The judge in the case said in essence that the police officer was the crème
    de la crème of drivers, and let him off.

One law for us…one for them.

Still, now the Met Police are investigating hundreds of officers for DV and other forms of violence, perhaps driving a police vehicle without authority
    and at speeds of 64 mph over the limit is pretty small beer.

[…]

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Sat May 20 13:14:10 2023
    Can it be taken that the cyclist involved scarpered sharpish, as per?

There doesn’t seem to be a reference to such.

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
    Dash-cam footage from Michal Kopaniarz's HGV captured the moment the 39-year-old broke the phone in half and discarded it on the verge by a
    dual carriageway shortly after he ploughed into a broken-down car, killing three people.

Kopaniarz, from Park Road, Donnington, was jailed for 12 years at
    Winchester Crown Court on Friday after pleading guilty to three charges
    of causing death by dangerous driving in connection and perverting the
    course of justice by breaking the Samsung mobile phone he had been using.

The court heard how a Vauxhall Astra, driven by 28-year-old university graduate Alex Britton had on the A303 near Andover in Hampshire on August
    25 2021. Immediately behind her at the time was Tina Ince. The
    58-year-old had been driving a food delivery van and stopped to see if
    she could assist before Tom Watson, 30, stopped in his breakdown recovery truck to offer assistance.

All three were on the westbound carriageway of the main road when
    Kopaniarz smashed into the vehicles at 56mph, killing all three victims instantly.

Despite trying to destroy his phone, Hampshire Police managed to recover
    and rebuild it. This allowed investigators to work out that he had shared
    and watched a seven-minute-and-28-second video on Ladbible shortly before
    the crash, and had been typing his destination into the sat-nav on his
    phone when he crashed.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 08:24:27 2023
    QUOTE: Despite trying to destroy his phone, Hampshire Police managed to recover and rebuild it. ENDS

He had a 44T truck to destroy it with - idiot.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sat May 20 22:32:12 2023
    On 20/05/2023 04:24 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

QUOTE: Despite trying to destroy his phone, Hampshire Police managed to recover and rebuild it. ENDS

He had a 44T truck to destroy it with - idiot.

That's what you do in such situations, is it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 22:18:44 2023

Yet the swivels still cry over "poor Rhiannon" from 15 years ago.
    Deluded fools.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun May 21 08:52:54 2023

Deluded fools.

‘Poor Rhiannon’ was walking on the footway when she was killed by a cyclist.

During Howard's trial in August 2008, Aylesbury magistrates heard he had shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping", before crashing
    into her.

She died from head injuries six days later.

Howard, from Buckingham, was fined £2,200, a penalty described as
    "laughable" by Rhiannon's parents.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Collins@21:1/5 to Spike on Sun May 21 02:51:05 2023
    On Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 09:54:56 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
    swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

Deluded fools.
    ‘Poor Rhiannon’ was walking on the footway when she was killed by a cyclist.

During Howard's trial in August 2008, Aylesbury magistrates heard he had shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping", before crashing
    into her.

Was She wearing a helmet?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Mike Collins on Sun May 21 09:52:58 2023
    Mike Collins <cmike8828@gmail.com> wrote:

drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS >>

Deluded fools.
    ‘Poor Rhiannon’ was walking on the footway when she was killed by a
    cyclist.

During Howard's trial in August 2008, Aylesbury magistrates heard he had
    shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping", before crashing
    into her.

That’s sick.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Collins@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun May 21 02:54:46 2023
    On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 06:53:22 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

"I used to be outgoing, talking a lot to others, going to church, back-packing. I did my own DIY and gardening.

“I was never frightened of traffic like I am today, absolutely terrified with a strong feeling it's going to happen again.

“My worst fear now is that my left leg will not hold me up through weakness which is happening more so these days plus my mental state is not too good.”

The victim added that she “doesn’t laugh any more” and gets “overwhelmed” with everyday occurrences.

Sergeant Joe McGregor, investigating officer for Surrey Police, warned of the dangers of drink driving after Selwood was jailed at Guildford Crown Court.

He said: “This footage is shocking to watch but it may serve as a stark reminder of the dangers posed by those who choose to drink and drive...

“The victim in this case has been left with lifelong physical and mental scars and has bravely said she wants her case to be a warning to anyone who thinks that it is acceptable to drive whilst under the influence. It isn’t. You are putting your
    life and the lives of others at risk.

More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake.

The legal alcohol limit in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for driving is 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood or 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – anything above this means you are breaking the law by
    driving or being in charge of a vehicle.

Police are allowed to stop and breathalyser drivers if they have reason to suspect they have been drinking or have been involved in a crash or committed another traffic offence.

The punishments for drink-driving vary depending on the offence but drink-drivers face possible imprisonment, driving bans and fines if found guilty – and simply being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink could
    mean up to three months in prison, a £2,500 fine and a possible driving ban.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/steven-selwood-jailed-run-over-cyclist-haslemere-surrey-120202573.html

2 Years for the drunk/dangerous driving is reasonable.
    A further 20 years with no parole for deliberately driving over the victim is just.
    Obviously a life driving ban.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Spike on Sun May 21 11:03:20 2023
    On 21/05/2023 10:52 am, Spike wrote:

drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS >>>

Deluded fools.
    ‘Poor Rhiannon’ was walking on the footway when she was killed by a
    cyclist.

During Howard's trial in August 2008, Aylesbury magistrates heard he had >>> shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping", before crashing
    into her.

That’s sick.

No. HE's sick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Mike Collins on Sun May 21 10:04:14 2023
    On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 06:53:22 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    A pensioner who was knocked down by a drunk driver while she was cycling
    has shared the “shocking” footage to warn others.

Ex-cricketer Steven Selwood, 43, who used to play for Derbyshire County
    Cricket Club, left the woman in her 70s with life-changing injuries
    after ploughing into her while four times over the limit.

She was cycling over a crossroad in Haslemere, Surrey, last May when
    Selwood came out of a side road and smashed in her in broad daylight.

Shocking footage of the incident shows Selwood knocking the victim off
    her back before continuing to drive forward – crushing her under the
    wheels of his 4x4 as she lay on the ground.

Last month, Selwood, who drove off before walking back to the scene, was
    jailed for over two years after he was convicted of causing serious
    injury by dangerous driving and driving whilst over the prescribed alcohol limit.

Now, the victim has allowed the footage to be released to highlight the
    impact drink driving can have.

She described how she can no longer do many of her hobbies and is now
    scared to go near traffic.

In an impact statement, she said: “My sense of loss is deep, my trust in >> my world evaporated, my sense of hope gone.

“Not a night goes by without nightmares. My life has changed
    considerably since I was knocked down off my cycle.

"I used to be outgoing, talking a lot to others, going to church,
    back-packing. I did my own DIY and gardening.

“I was never frightened of traffic like I am today, absolutely terrified >> with a strong feeling it's going to happen again.

“My worst fear now is that my left leg will not hold me up through
    weakness which is happening more so these days plus my mental state is not too good.”

Now, the victim has allowed the footage to be released to highlight the
    impact drink driving can have.

She described how she can no longer do many of her hobbies and is now
    scared to go near traffic.

In an impact statement, she said: “My sense of loss is deep, my trust in >> my world evaporated, my sense of hope gone.

“Not a night goes by without nightmares. My life has changed
    considerably since I was knocked down off my cycle.

The victim added that she “doesn’t laugh any more” and gets
    “overwhelmed” with everyday occurrences.

Sergeant Joe McGregor, investigating officer for Surrey Police, warned
    of the dangers of drink driving after Selwood was jailed at Guildford Crown Court.

He said: “This footage is shocking to watch but it may serve as a stark
    reminder of the dangers posed by those who choose to drink and drive...

“The victim in this case has been left with lifelong physical and mental >> scars and has bravely said she wants her case to be a warning to anyone
    who thinks that it is acceptable to drive whilst under the influence. It
    isn’t. You are putting your life and the lives of others at risk.

More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a
    drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake.

The legal alcohol limit in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for
    driving is 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood or 35
    micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – anything above
    this means you are breaking the law by driving or being in charge of a vehicle.

Police are allowed to stop and breathalyser drivers if they have reason
    to suspect they have been drinking or have been involved in a crash or
    committed another traffic offence.

The punishments for drink-driving vary depending on the offence but
    drink-drivers face possible imprisonment, driving bans and fines if
    found guilty – and simply being in charge of a vehicle while above the
    legal limit or unfit through drink could mean up to three months in
    prison, a £2,500 fine and a possible driving ban.

2 Years for the drunk/dangerous driving is reasonable.
    A further 20 years with no parole for deliberately driving over the victim is just.
    Obviously a life driving ban.

If that is the case, Rhiannon Bennett’s killer should have got 20 years.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun May 21 03:28:49 2023
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 6:18:46 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Deluded fools.

Wasn't the silly bint playing chicken with live traffic?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Collins@21:1/5 to Spike on Sun May 21 04:21:43 2023
    On Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 10:54:02 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
    Mike Collins <cmik...@gmail.com> wrote:

QUOTE: More than 200 people in the UK die every year as a result of a >>> drink-driving related crash, according to road safety charity Brake. ENDS

Deluded fools.
    ‘Poor Rhiannon’ was walking on the footway when she was killed by a >> cyclist.

During Howard's trial in August 2008, Aylesbury magistrates heard he had >> shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping", before crashing >> into her.

That’s sick.

--
    Spike

No, it the first question asked when a cyclist is killed by a motorist.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Collins@21:1/5 to Spike on Sun May 21 04:41:13 2023

Deluded fools.
    ‘Poor Rhiannon’ was walking on the footway when she was killed by failing to wear a helmet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swldxer1958@gmail.com@21:1/5 to swldx...@gmail.com on Sun May 21 05:43:51 2023
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 11:28:51 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 6:18:46 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Deluded fools.
    Wasn't the silly bint playing chicken with live traffic?

QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in front of me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of chicken. And, to some extent,
    intimidation, showing how hard they are by standing up to the cyclist...

As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I often use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they don't see a bike as a physical
    threat, so may not bother." ENDS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05