• Putting up antennas in social housing

From Ottavio Caruso@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 1 15:57:34 2021
    Hi,

Speculative question. If I were to move into council housing, who would
    I have to ask permission from when putting up, say, wire antennas?

I know that I need a planning permission if I want to raise a vertical
    3m over the roof, but what about wire antennas for HF?

Say I want to run a couple of wires from my window/balcony to the next
    communal wall (or tree), who do I have to ask permission from? The
    council, the housing association, co-tenants or all of the above?

Thanks

--
    Ottavio Caruso

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Ottavio Caruso on Wed Dec 1 21:10:34 2021
    Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Hi,

Say I want to run a couple of wires from my window/balcony to the next communal wall (or tree), who do I have to ask permission from? The

I don't think it's a planning matter unless you were in a conservation area,
    so it would likely be your landlord as owner of the wall/tree. That would presumably be the housing association. Your tenancy agreement may also have conditions about what you can't do, and again if you wanted to do something
    not permitted you'd need to ask your landlord for permission (in writing, probably - by email will suffice for this).

If it was above the public highway, eg to a tree in the road, then you'd
    need permission from the highway authority - your county council, if the road is adopted. But if it was say the car park for your block of flats then it could be your landlord again if it was private land.

If you were going above another tenant's home (eg the garden of the flat
    below) they might object, but at the end of the day the landlord still owns that land and can grant permission. It would be polite to talk to them, though.

The technical term for this kind of permission is a 'wayleave' and it's something phone companies do all the time, but not something most landlords will be used to.

Another way to look at it is if you're just slinging a wire round a tree you aren't making any damage to the tree or causing issues for people on the ground, and so you can easily take it down if anyone complains.
    Which they might not, if it's just a thin wire that wasn't causing any
    hazards.

Theo
    (not a lawyer or a planning expert)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian@21:1/5 to Ottavio Caruso on Thu Dec 2 09:48:11 2021
    Hi,

Say I want to run a couple of wires from my window/balcony to the next communal wall (or tree), who do I have to ask permission from? The

Thanks

From your description, I assume you don’t have a garden and/or the wires will run over shared areas? That is probably going to be the problem.

While, in real terms, the risk is tiny, I can see the H&S freaks getting excited about your antennas ( even wires) falling and crushing someone flat
    ;-)

You can always ask, of course.

Roof antennas, you may be lucky. I’ve noticed a few in my area on public housing blocks of flats. They are so obvious whoever owns/ runs the flats
    must have seen them. I suppose they could have ignored them but…

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ottavio Caruso@21:1/5 to Brian on Fri Dec 3 09:04:29 2021
    On 02/12/2021 09:48, Brian wrote:
    From your description, I assume you don’t have a garden and/or the wires
    will run over shared areas? That is probably going to be the problem.

It's a speculative question, because I am bidding for council
    accommodation, but I assume that the garden will be a shared or communal
    one.

--
    Ottavio Caruso

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Woolley@21:1/5 to Brian on Fri Dec 3 16:47:17 2021
    On 02/12/2021 09:48, Brian wrote:
    While, in real terms, the risk is tiny, I can see the H&S freaks getting excited about your antennas ( even wires) falling and crushing someone flat ;-)

I'd say the real risk was complaints from the neighbours. Whilst it was probably also a breach of the tenancy to have a satellite dish, these
    used to be common, pre video on demand, in social housing, and tenants
    wouldn't complain about others doing what they were probably doing
    themselves.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ottavio Caruso@21:1/5 to Theo on Tue Jan 11 13:14:40 2022
    On 01/12/2021 21:10, Theo wrote:
    Hi,

Say I want to run a couple of wires from my window/balcony to the next
    communal wall (or tree), who do I have to ask permission from? The

I don't think it's a planning matter unless you were in a conservation area, so it would likely be your landlord as owner of the wall/tree. That would presumably be the housing association. Your tenancy agreement may also have conditions about what you can't do, and again if you wanted to do something not permitted you'd need to ask your landlord for permission (in writing, probably - by email will suffice for this).

If it was above the public highway, eg to a tree in the road, then you'd
    need permission from the highway authority - your county council, if the road is adopted. But if it was say the car park for your block of flats then it could be your landlord again if it was private land.

If you were going above another tenant's home (eg the garden of the flat below) they might object, but at the end of the day the landlord still owns that land and can grant permission. It would be polite to talk to them, though.

The technical term for this kind of permission is a 'wayleave' and it's something phone companies do all the time, but not something most landlords will be used to.

Another way to look at it is if you're just slinging a wire round a tree you aren't making any damage to the tree or causing issues for people on the ground, and so you can easily take it down if anyone complains.
    Which they might not, if it's just a thin wire that wasn't causing any hazards.

Theo
    (not a lawyer or a planning expert)

Thanks.

I might (or might not) be invited for a viewing soon. Is this topic
    (especially roof antennas) something I could ask during the viewing or
    better not wake the sleeping dog?

--
    Ottavio Caruso

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Ottavio Caruso on Mon Jan 17 13:47:13 2022
    I might (or might not) be invited for a viewing soon. Is this topic (especially roof antennas) something I could ask during the viewing or
    better not wake the sleeping dog?

It depends how much you want it, I suppose. I get the impression a lot of social housing has strong demand, the waiting lists are long, and you don't
    get a lot of say in the bidding process. It's not like you have a hundred properties to choose from on the open market, and it's possible you only get the chance to bid on one or few.

If there is any sense of them interviewing you (ie they could decline your application) I'd be tempted not to wake the dog unless not having an antenna would be an absolute showstopper. Then explore the options once you've
    moved in.

I get the impression large landlords might be less amenable to 'unusual' requests, just because they manage a lot of properties and want to keep
    things simple, whereas if it was an individual landlord or a small local outfit, especially if they know you personally, you might have more luck.

Essentially it boils down to what your situation is and how awkward it would
    be if they refused you, as to whether it's worth taking a risk.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05