"We don't have the capability to respond to that within the eight
    minutes (or whatever) the politicians have decreed. Would some time
    between 4 and 5pm next Tuesday be OK? And between us girls, if we don't
    get there in three minutes, they are as good as dead anyway. Does your
    partner have a funeral plan?"
    --
    Roland Perry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Colin Bignell@21:1/5 to Roland Perry on Thu Jan 25 16:14:44 2024
    On 25/01/2024 15:52, Roland Perry wrote:
    "My partner is having a heart attack."

between 4 and 5pm next Tuesday be OK? And between us girls, if we don't
    get there in three minutes, they are as good as dead anyway. Does your partner have a funeral plan?"

IME you get very good instructions on giving CPR right up until the
    ambulance crew tell the operator they have arrived, which was only a few minutes later.

--
    Colin Bignell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roland Perry@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 26 10:27:18 2024
    In message <-NSdncC7d6ErGi_4nZ2dnZeNn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>, at 16:14:44
    on Thu, 25 Jan 2024, Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk>
    remarked:

between 4 and 5pm next Tuesday be OK? And between us girls, if we
    don't get there in three minutes, they are as good as dead anyway.
    Does your partner have a funeral plan?"

ambulance crew tell the operator they have arrived, which was only a
    few minutes later.

Where we live in rural Cambs the nearest Ambulance station is 15 minutes
    drive away, and typically I think they send one from Cambridge which is
    40 minutes away.

My A&E nurse always asks of a patient who has just arrived after CPR
    "How many ribs are broken", and if it's not at least three then CPR was
    mainly a placebo.

--
    Roland Perry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Bignell@21:1/5 to Roland Perry on Fri Jan 26 11:42:58 2024
    On 26/01/2024 10:27, Roland Perry wrote:
    In message <-NSdncC7d6ErGi_4nZ2dnZeNn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>, at 16:14:44
    on Thu, 25 Jan 2024, Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> remarked:

between 4 and 5pm next Tuesday be OK? And between us girls, if we
    don't  get there in three minutes, they are as good as dead anyway.
    Does your  partner have a funeral plan?"

ambulance crew tell the operator they have arrived, which was only a
    few minutes later.

Where we live in rural Cambs the nearest Ambulance station is 15 minutes drive away, and typically I think they send one from Cambridge which is
    40 minutes away.

There are two ambulance stations about 15 minutes away from me. However,
    for every ambulance station in this area there are three ambulance
    response centres, where they park ambulances to put them closer to where
    they are likely to be needed. The closest one to me is about three
    minutes away.

My A&E nurse always asks of a patient who has just arrived after CPR
    "How many ribs are broken", and if it's not at least three then CPR was mainly a placebo.

--
    Colin Bignell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk on Fri Jan 26 13:42:06 2024
    On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:42:58 +0000, Colin Bignell
    <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

Where we live in rural Cambs the nearest Ambulance station is 15 minutes
    drive away, and typically I think they send one from Cambridge which is
    40 minutes away.

minutes away.

Ambulances aren't, typically, dispatched from ambulance stations anyway
    (other than for the first call of a crew's shift or the first call after they've gone back to the station for a break). It's always the nearest free ambulance which is sent, and in most cases that's either one which has just finished a "treat at scene" incident which doesn't require taking the
    patient to hospital, or one which has just dropped off a patient at a
    hospital. That's why they're more likely to be coming from the nearest big city, because that's also where the nearest A&E is and therefore where an ambulance is most likely to become free after completing a job.

In some cases, particularly city centres on a Friday night or major highways
    at rush hour, an ambulance will be sent to park up in a convenient spot near
    to where a call is most likely to come from, in anticipation of the calls
    that the service is likely to get. And if an ambulance does become free
    without having another call to go to immediately, they will typically be
    sent to wait in an area where the next call is likely to come from, rather
    than staying where they are or going back to the station. In some of those situations they do, as you say, even have dedicated locations specifically
    for that purpose. But rural areas and small towns tend not to benefit from
    that kind of predictive scheduling, and even where it is practical it's not always possible if there are no ambulances free to just sit and wait.

More generally, a lot of people misunderstand the function of an ambulance station. The location of the station isn't for the benefit of patients, it's for the benefit of the service, and in particular for the benefit of the
    crews - it's somewhere to park ambulances that are not currently crewed (eg, overnight), somewhere to store equipment and supplies, and somewhere for the crews to go for a break and to do their paperwork. It's handy for the crews
    to have that broadly central to the area they serve, but the location isn't mission critical to the service because it's not the location that most ambulances will start a call from.

A few years ago, there was a big furore where I live because the ambulance service decided to close the ambulance station in town. Cue angry letters to local newspapers and much wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media.
    Some people got themselves elected to the council on a platform of
    preventing the closure. A campaign group crowdfunded a judicial review of
    the ambulance service's decision. The review failed. The newly elected councillors did not prevent the closure. I used an FOI request to obtain the call logs for the postcode area covering the town for the period leading up
    to and after the closure. And there was absolutely no difference to typical response times.

What does affect response times, a lot, is the inability of A&E departments
    to process all incoming patients in a timely manner. If ambulances are
    having to queue up to deliver patients, or are being used as temporary
    patient accommodation on hospital premises, then they are taking a lot
    longer to become free and therefore the chances of there being a free
    ambulance close to a call is significantly reduced. But that's beyond the ambulance service's control, and not something they can fix by moving
    ambulance stations around.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Bignell@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Sat Jan 27 10:01:11 2024
    On 26/01/2024 13:42, Mark Goodge wrote:
    On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:42:58 +0000, Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

Where we live in rural Cambs the nearest Ambulance station is 15 minutes >>> drive away, and typically I think they send one from Cambridge which is
    40 minutes away.

minutes away.

Ambulances aren't, typically, dispatched from ambulance stations anyway (other than for the first call of a crew's shift or the first call after they've gone back to the station for a break). It's always the nearest free ambulance which is sent, and in most cases that's either one which has just finished a "treat at scene" incident which doesn't require taking the
    patient to hospital, or one which has just dropped off a patient at a hospital. That's why they're more likely to be coming from the nearest big city, because that's also where the nearest A&E is and therefore where an ambulance is most likely to become free after completing a job.

The nearest A&E to me is about twice as far as the nearest ambulance
    station.

In some cases, particularly city centres on a Friday night or major highways at rush hour, an ambulance will be sent to park up in a convenient spot near to where a call is most likely to come from, in anticipation of the calls that the service is likely to get. And if an ambulance does become free without having another call to go to immediately, they will typically be
    sent to wait in an area where the next call is likely to come from, rather than staying where they are or going back to the station. In some of those situations they do, as you say, even have dedicated locations specifically for that purpose. But rural areas and small towns tend not to benefit from that kind of predictive scheduling, and even where it is practical it's not always possible if there are no ambulances free to just sit and wait.

NHS South East Coast Ambulance Service has 67 dedicated Ambulance
    Community Response posts, in addition to their 22 Ambulance Stations. As
    can be seen from the map, the posts are permanent locations that are
    positioned to give quick response times for all the main centres of populations:

https://www.secamb.nhs.uk/our-locations/

They vary from a reserved parking area:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Xhe5ebYVssF4pShw5

To a dedicated building with parking:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cqizr5FZUBJTYPZp7

More generally, a lot of people misunderstand the function of an ambulance station. The location of the station isn't for the benefit of patients, it's for the benefit of the service, and in particular for the benefit of the crews - it's somewhere to park ambulances that are not currently crewed (eg, overnight), somewhere to store equipment and supplies, and somewhere for the crews to go for a break and to do their paperwork. It's handy for the crews to have that broadly central to the area they serve, but the location isn't mission critical to the service because it's not the location that most ambulances will start a call from.

A few years ago, there was a big furore where I live because the ambulance service decided to close the ambulance station in town. Cue angry letters to local newspapers and much wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media.
    the ambulance service's decision. The review failed. The newly elected councillors did not prevent the closure. I used an FOI request to obtain the call logs for the postcode area covering the town for the period leading up to and after the closure. And there was absolutely no difference to typical response times.

What does affect response times, a lot, is the inability of A&E departments to process all incoming patients in a timely manner. If ambulances are
    having to queue up to deliver patients, or are being used as temporary patient accommodation on hospital premises, then they are taking a lot
    longer to become free and therefore the chances of there being a free ambulance close to a call is significantly reduced. But that's beyond the ambulance service's control, and not something they can fix by moving ambulance stations around.

Mark

--
    Colin Bignell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roland Perry@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 27 15:18:34 2024
    In message <p7b7ri1r6k0tokkna04dqnb2j4u15pifum@4ax.com>, at 13:42:06 on
    Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk>
    remarked:
    On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:42:58 +0000, Colin Bignell ><cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

Where we live in rural Cambs the nearest Ambulance station is 15 minutes >>> drive away, and typically I think they send one from Cambridge which is
    40 minutes away.

There are two ambulance stations about 15 minutes away from me. However, >>for every ambulance station in this area there are three ambulance
    response centres, where they park ambulances to put them closer to where >>they are likely to be needed. The closest one to me is about three
    minutes away.

Ambulances aren't, typically, dispatched from ambulance stations anyway >(other than for the first call of a crew's shift or the first call after >they've gone back to the station for a break). It's always the nearest free >ambulance which is sent, and in most cases that's either one which has just >finished a "treat at scene" incident which doesn't require taking the
    patient to hospital, or one which has just dropped off a patient at a >hospital. That's why they're more likely to be coming from the nearest big >city, because that's also where the nearest A&E is and therefore where an >ambulance is most likely to become free after completing a job.

As it happens in both Oxford and Cambridge (as indicative examples) the ambulance stations are co-located with the big hospital.

In some cases, particularly city centres on a Friday night or major highways >at rush hour, an ambulance will be sent to park up in a convenient spot near >to where a call is most likely to come from, in anticipation of the calls >that the service is likely to get. And if an ambulance does become free >without having another call to go to immediately, they will typically be
    sent to wait in an area where the next call is likely to come from, rather >than staying where they are or going back to the station. In some of those >situations they do, as you say, even have dedicated locations specifically >for that purpose. But rural areas and small towns tend not to benefit from >that kind of predictive scheduling, and even where it is practical it's not >always possible if there are no ambulances free to just sit and wait.

If I ever see one lurking in the manner you describe, I'll let you know.
    Or maybe I'll ask a FOAF who is an ambulance driver.

More generally, a lot of people misunderstand the function of an ambulance >station. The location of the station isn't for the benefit of patients, it's >for the benefit of the service, and in particular for the benefit of the >crews - it's somewhere to park ambulances that are not currently crewed (eg, >overnight), somewhere to store equipment and supplies,

And in Ely infamously, somewhere to store a dead body overnight when at
    the end of their shift when they didn't have time to take it all the way
    to the nearest morge, in Cambridge.

and somewhere for the
    crews to go for a break and to do their paperwork. It's handy for the crews >to have that broadly central to the area they serve, but the location isn't >mission critical to the service because it's not the location that most >ambulances will start a call from.

A few years ago, there was a big furore where I live because the ambulance >service decided to close the ambulance station in town. Cue angry letters to >local newspapers and much wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media.
    the ambulance service's decision. The review failed. The newly elected >councillors did not prevent the closure. I used an FOI request to obtain the >call logs for the postcode area covering the town for the period leading up >to and after the closure. And there was absolutely no difference to typical >response times.

What does affect response times, a lot, is the inability of A&E departments >to process all incoming patients in a timely manner. If ambulances are
    having to queue up to deliver patients, or are being used as temporary >patient accommodation on hospital premises, then they are taking a lot
    longer to become free and therefore the chances of there being a free >ambulance close to a call is significantly reduced. But that's beyond the >ambulance service's control, and not something they can fix by moving >ambulance stations around.

The ambulances service can't control it on a day to day basis, but ought
    to have the capacity to lobby for some change to the situation to
    alleviate this. One big City the answer was to insist the A&E department accepted all arrivals, but that just means you have patients on beds in corridors, which for some reason creates even more bad-press.
    --
    Roland Perry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roland Perry@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 27 15:10:19 2024
    In message <E_6dnVHHsIkEBy74nZ2dnZeNn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>, at 11:42:58
    on Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk>
    remarked:
    In message <-NSdncC7d6ErGi_4nZ2dnZeNn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>, at
    16:14:44 on Thu, 25 Jan 2024, Colin Bignell
    <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> remarked:

"We don't have the capability to respond to that within the eight >>>>minutes (or whatever) the politicians have decreed. Would some time >>>>between 4 and 5pm next Tuesday be OK? And between us girls, if we >>>>don't  get there in three minutes, they are as good as dead anyway. >>>>Does your  partner have a funeral plan?"

IME you get very good instructions on giving CPR right up until the >>>ambulance crew tell the operator they have arrived, which was only a
    few minutes later.

Where we live in rural Cambs the nearest Ambulance station is 15
    minutes drive away, and typically I think they send one from
    Cambridge which is 40 minutes away.

There are two ambulance stations about 15 minutes away from me.
    However, for every ambulance station in this area there are three
    ambulance response centres, where they park ambulances to put them
    closer to where they are likely to be needed. The closest one to me is
    about three minutes away.

Lucky you. There was once a plan to have such response centres
    co-located with rural GP surgeries, but there aren't any here.

Even more so when half their fleet is actually queuing up at A&E because
    the latter won't accept other than the most critically ill patients,
    because they are full and there's nowhere inside the hospital to
    discharge patients to, because the wards are full including significant
    numbers of bed-blockers, because there's nowhere to discharge *them* to.
    --
    Roland Perry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Roland Perry on Sat Jan 27 21:14:14 2024
    On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:18:34 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

In message <p7b7ri1r6k0tokkna04dqnb2j4u15pifum@4ax.com>, at 13:42:06 on
    Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk>
    remarked:

What does affect response times, a lot, is the inability of A&E departments >>to process all incoming patients in a timely manner. If ambulances are >>having to queue up to deliver patients, or are being used as temporary >>patient accommodation on hospital premises, then they are taking a lot >>longer to become free and therefore the chances of there being a free >>ambulance close to a call is significantly reduced. But that's beyond the >>ambulance service's control, and not something they can fix by moving >>ambulance stations around.

alleviate this.

Behind the scenes, they lobby a lot. But it doesn't tend to get made public, because it's perceived to be bad PR for one part of the NHS to be
    criticising another.

One big City the answer was to insist the A&E department
    accepted all arrivals, but that just means you have patients on beds in >corridors, which for some reason creates even more bad-press.

In the ambulance, a patient will have paramedics on hand watching over them
    at all times. And the paramedics in turn will have all their equipment on
    hand. Neither is true in a corridor. So, not unsurprisingly, patients are
    more likely to die in corridors than they are in an ambulance. If they can't
    go straight into a treatment room, then the ambulance is the best place for them to wait. But that then ties up the ambulance and prevents it attending
    a different emergency.

There isn't an easy solution to this. The hospital's mortality rate will go
    up if it has to accept more patients than it can process. The ambulance service's response time will go up if it can't hand over patients promptly. It's generally accepted that the latter is the less bad option, because not
    all ambulance call-outs are to life-threatening incidents, whereas any admission by the ambulance service to A&E is, almost by definition, life-threatening (or, at least, potentially life-changing). But, on the
    other hand, a larger number of people are affected by slow ambulance
    response times than are affected by overloaded A&E departments.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roland Perry@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 29 07:45:20 2024
    In message <sgrari5i5dnu1djki3c26qd9fde33kfgj9@4ax.com>, at 21:14:14 on
    Sat, 27 Jan 2024, Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk>
    remarked:
    On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:18:34 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

In message <p7b7ri1r6k0tokkna04dqnb2j4u15pifum@4ax.com>, at 13:42:06 on >>Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk>
    remarked:

What does affect response times, a lot, is the inability of A&E departments >>>to process all incoming patients in a timely manner. If ambulances are >>>having to queue up to deliver patients, or are being used as temporary >>>patient accommodation on hospital premises, then they are taking a lot >>>longer to become free and therefore the chances of there being a free >>>ambulance close to a call is significantly reduced. But that's beyond the >>>ambulance service's control, and not something they can fix by moving >>>ambulance stations around.

alleviate this.

Behind the scenes, they lobby a lot. But it doesn't tend to get made public, >because it's perceived to be bad PR for one part of the NHS to be
    criticising another.

Sure, but "successful lobbying" is a subset.

One big City the answer was to insist the A&E department
    accepted all arrivals, but that just means you have patients on beds in >>corridors, which for some reason creates even more bad-press.

In the ambulance, a patient will have paramedics on hand watching over them >at all times.

Or as someone I know said "hospital porters with a driving licence".

A bit harsh perhaps. They do a good job, but aren't miracle workers.

And the paramedics in turn will have all their equipment on hand.
    Neither is true in a corridor. So, not unsurprisingly, patients are
    more likely to die in corridors than they are in an ambulance.

Wrong again, because patients in the queue of ambulances (or 'trucks' as
    the drivers call them) in the hospital car park are cared for by staff
    who have to leave A&E temporarily. The corridor is closer and warmer.

If they can't go straight into a treatment room,

Wrong wrong, again again. Almost no patients arriving at A&E go straight
    to a treatment room (or as the NHS calls them "cubicles") which is why
    the target is as long as 4hrs to be transferred from the waiting room.

then the ambulance is the best place for them to wait. But that then
    ties up the ambulance and prevents it attending a different emergency.

There isn't an easy solution to this. The hospital's mortality rate will go >up if it has to accept more patients than it can process. The ambulance >service's response time will go up if it can't hand over patients promptly. >It's generally accepted that the latter is the less bad option, because not >all ambulance call-outs are to life-threatening incidents, whereas any >admission by the ambulance service to A&E is, almost by definition, >life-threatening (or, at least, potentially life-changing).

Wrong wrong wrong, again again again. A big part of the problem is that
    if people have called 999 to get an ambulance and it's eventually turned
    up (figures of 11hrs were quoted over New Year) many (most?) trusts have
    a policy that if the patient doesn't rescind the so-called emergency
    when they arrive, they MUST take them to hospital.

But, on the other hand, a larger number of people are affected by slow >ambulance response times than are affected by overloaded A&E
    departments.

While that sounds intuitive it would be interesting to see your figures.

Including a breakdown of different definitions of "affected". Again,
    this New Year people were calling an ambulance because they'd ignored
    the reminders to get repeat prescriptions filled, and with GPs in effect
    shut from lunchtime 22nd December to 2nd January (with a built-in 10 day backlog), what else might they do?

We had to call an out-of-hours GP yesterday (just a regular Sunday)
    and it turns out the response target is six hours [it took them about
    four]. However poorly the patient is. If you are already "in the system"
    you can get an urgent District Nurse in about an hour, but they aren't
    allowed to prescribe.

And getting ourselves "into that system" took about six weeks. The
    regular GP is personally brilliant, but only works office hours (and
    four days a week; a friend of ours is a semi-retired GP and only works
    one day a week).

Receptionists at the GP surgery are trained to tell people who aren't
    fussy who they see, to expect to wait three weeks for an appointment, or indefinitely if their choice of GP is already booked up the next four
    weeks. The "Ask your GP" app is turned off at lunchtime, and you have to
    wait until dawn the next working day to put a request in the queue.
    --
    Roland Perry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Roland Perry on Mon Jan 29 09:16:39 2024
    On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 07:45:20 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

Wrong wrong wrong, again again again. A big part of the problem is that
    if people have called 999 to get an ambulance and it's eventually turned
    up (figures of 11hrs were quoted over New Year) many (most?) trusts have
    a policy that if the patient doesn't rescind the so-called emergency
    when they arrive, they MUST take them to hospital.

You seem remarkably certain of something of which you are, in fact,
    incorrect. It is absolutely not true that an ambulance *must* take a patient
    to hospital. Far from it. A significant proportion of callouts result in treatment at the scene without being taken to hospital. You will recall I mentioned an FOI request for my local ambulance service's call log, which included a column for "treatment type". This is the statistical summary of different treatment types from the data I was given:

46 Advice Given Via Telephone Triage
    174 Alternative Service Advised
    12 Call
    676 Conveyed To Emergency Dpmnt
    39 Conveyed To Non-Emergency Dpmnt
    363 Treated At Scene

Disregarding the first three, which are when an ambulance is not dispatched
    at all, around 34% of ambulance callouts are treated at the scene with no
    trip to hospital necessary.

Just in case you think that's some oddity pertaining to my local ambulnce service, let me point you also to the published guidance:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/keogh-review/Documents/UECR-ambulance-guidance-FV.PDF

The relevant part is Section 5, headed "See and treat", which contains these paragraphs:

The 'see and treat' model is one which provides focused clinical
    assessment at the patient's location, followed by appropriate immediate
    treatment, discharge and/or referral. Often a patient may be referred to
    other services that are more appropriate to the patient's needs, or which
    can provide further support to the individual at home or in a community
    setting, in close liaison with the patient’s general practitioner.

and

In rural areas, where journey times to hospital are long, effective see
    and treat is particularly important, and highly valued by patients.

So, while there may well be some ambulances services which never treat at scene, it would be very surprising if it were most of them.

(I've snipped the rest of your response since the part I have quoted is so obviously wrong that it's not worth taking the rest of it seriously anyway).

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05