• Defending Your Home When Alone - How Much is Justified?

From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 26 17:50:40 2023
    A question posed by my daughter when watching a Christmas movie yesterday afternoon: Surely the actions of young[1] Kevin McCallister went beyond justifiable self-defen[cs]e? After all, some of the booby traps could easily have been fatal, and several of them did inflict quite serious injury.

So, assuming you were hired by either the prosecution or the defence, what argument would you be making? What crimes might he have committed? And what might be the best way to persuade a jury to acquit?

[1] Before anyone mentions it: There is no minimum age of criminal responsibility in Illinois[2][3]. So his age would be a potential
    mitigation, and would certainly mean that he would be dealt with by the juvenile court system rather than an adult court. But it would not, alone,
    be enough to avoid guilt.

[2] Age of criminal responsibility is a state, not federal responsibility in the USA.

[3] For the benefit of those who struggle with the "Where is Kazakhstan?"
    round on House of Games, the location of Kevin's actions is Chicago, which
    is in the state of Illinois.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk on Tue Dec 26 20:03:33 2023
    On 26 Dec 2023 at 17:50:40 GMT, "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

A question posed by my daughter when watching a Christmas movie yesterday afternoon: Surely the actions of young[1] Kevin McCallister went beyond justifiable self-defen[cs]e? After all, some of the booby traps could easily have been fatal, and several of them did inflict quite serious injury.

So, assuming you were hired by either the prosecution or the defence, what argument would you be making? What crimes might he have committed? And what might be the best way to persuade a jury to acquit?

[1] Before anyone mentions it: There is no minimum age of criminal responsibility in Illinois[2][3]. So his age would be a potential
    mitigation, and would certainly mean that he would be dealt with by the juvenile court system rather than an adult court. But it would not, alone,

[2] Age of criminal responsibility is a state, not federal responsibility in the USA.

[3] For the benefit of those who struggle with the "Where is Kazakhstan?" round on House of Games, the location of Kevin's actions is Chicago, which

Mark

Personally I have no idea at all what Illinois law on defending one's home is, and I see no profit at all in applying English law.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Bignell@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Tue Dec 26 20:11:12 2023
    On 26/12/2023 17:50, Mark Goodge wrote:

While some US states (not Illinois) allow the use of deadly force
    against anyone who forcibly and unlawfully enters a home, so far as I
    can find out, the use on man traps is illegal in all states.

[3] For the benefit of those who struggle with the "Where is Kazakhstan?" round on House of Games, the location of Kevin's actions is Chicago, which

Mark

--
    Colin Bignell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Tue Dec 26 20:13:15 2023
    On 26/12/2023 20:03, Roger Hayter wrote:
    On 26 Dec 2023 at 17:50:40 GMT, "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

A question posed by my daughter when watching a Christmas movie yesterday
    afternoon: Surely the actions of young[1] Kevin McCallister went beyond
    justifiable self-defen[cs]e? After all, some of the booby traps could easily >> have been fatal, and several of them did inflict quite serious injury.

There's quite a strong sadistic element in the film. Is that generally
    true of slapstick humour?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Tue Dec 26 20:14:38 2023
    On 2023-12-26, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
    On 26 Dec 2023 at 17:50:40 GMT, "Mark Goodge"
    <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
    A question posed by my daughter when watching a Christmas movie yesterday
    afternoon: Surely the actions of young[1] Kevin McCallister went beyond
    justifiable self-defen[cs]e? After all, some of the booby traps could
    easily have been fatal, and several of them did inflict quite serious
    injury.

So, assuming you were hired by either the prosecution or the defence, what >> argument would you be making? What crimes might he have committed? And what >> might be the best way to persuade a jury to acquit?

[1] Before anyone mentions it: There is no minimum age of criminal
    responsibility in Illinois[2][3]. So his age would be a potential
    mitigation, and would certainly mean that he would be dealt with by the
    juvenile court system rather than an adult court. But it would not, alone, >> be enough to avoid guilt.

[2] Age of criminal responsibility is a state, not federal
    responsibility in the USA.

[3] For the benefit of those who struggle with the "Where is Kazakhstan?"
    round on House of Games, the location of Kevin's actions is Chicago, which >> is in the state of Illinois.

Mark

Personally I have no idea at all what Illinois law on defending one's
    home is, and I see no profit at all in applying English law.

I think it's quite similar. They don't seem to have ridiculous "Stand
    Your Ground" or "Castle Doctrine" laws like some states do. So I think
    that if Kevin had been an adult then he would almost certainly be in
    trouble, but due to him being a child I think the law would give him
    quite a lot of leeway with regard to how much danger he thought himself
    in and what counted as a proportionate response.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu on Tue Dec 26 21:58:18 2023
    On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:14:38 -0000 (UTC), Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote:

What's possibly relevent from a legal perspective is that Kevin didn't
    "stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders attemptint
    to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a conversation between
    the burglars to the effect that his house was one they intended to target
    over the holidays, and then, after initially leaving the house, deliberately returned to it with the specific intention of setting the booby traps. So there's no doubt that it was premeditated. The question is whether it was reasonable, or, if not, whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonable be held accountable for his actions.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk on Wed Dec 27 09:47:21 2023
    On 26 Dec 2023 at 21:58:18 GMT, "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:14:38 -0000 (UTC), Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote:

"stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders attemptint to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a conversation between
    the burglars to the effect that his house was one they intended to target over the holidays, and then, after initially leaving the house, deliberately returned to it with the specific intention of setting the booby traps. So there's no doubt that it was premeditated. The question is whether it was reasonable, or, if not, whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonable be held accountable for his actions.

Mark

Which brings us to the American concept of trying a child "as an adult"? Is this a religious thing, is there a concept of child hiding an adult demon or something? I can understand not using the informality of juvenile court where the press and public demand something more formal, though I don't approve of it, but the Americans seem to apply adult penalties after an arbritrary decision to charge "as an adult". Do we have any similar concept?

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Wed Dec 27 12:09:44 2023
    "Roger Hayter" <roger@hayter.org> wrote in message news:kv2a59F99dsU1@mid.individual.net...

Which brings us to the American concept of trying a child "as an adult"? Is this a religious thing, is there a concept of child hiding an adult demon or something? I can understand not using the informality of juvenile court where the press and public demand something more formal, though I don't approve of it, but the Americans seem to apply adult penalties after an arbritrary decision to charge "as an adult". Do we have any similar concept?

May one possible reason be the simple fact that children in the UK don't
    have such ready access to guns ?

While knife crime is a tremendous problem in itself, once someone starts
    waving a gun around and actually shooting people they're more likely to
    be seen as having definitely joined the grown-ups

bb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jethro_uk@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Wed Dec 27 10:24:06 2023
    On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:14:38 +0000, Jon Ribbens wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Your Ground" or "Castle Doctrine" laws like some states do.

Why are they "ridiculous" ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Simon Parker on Wed Dec 27 09:41:30 2023
    Simon Parker <simonparkerulm@gmail.com> wrote:
    I'm not sure if you're aware but The Secret Barrister did a live tweet
    one Christmas whilst watching Home Alone 2 and detailed each law broken
    as it happened. It was hilarious and went viral. I'm sure it must be on-line somewhere.

https://nitter.net/BarristerSecret/status/1076567910393540609

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jethro_uk@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Wed Dec 27 10:25:05 2023
    On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:47:21 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 26 Dec 2023 at 21:58:18 GMT, "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:14:38 -0000 (UTC), Jon Ribbens
    <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote:

quite a lot of leeway with regard to how much danger he thought
    himself in and what counted as a proportionate response.

"stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders
    attemptint to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a
    conversation between the burglars to the effect that his house was one
    they intended to target over the holidays, and then, after initially
    leaving the house, deliberately returned to it with the specific
    intention of setting the booby traps. So there's no doubt that it was
    premeditated. The question is whether it was reasonable, or, if not,
    whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonable be held accountable
    for his actions.

Mark

Which brings us to the American concept of trying a child "as an adult"?
    Is this a religious thing, is there a concept of child hiding an adult
    demon or something? I can understand not using the informality of
    juvenile court where the press and public demand something more formal, though I don't approve of it, but the Americans seem to apply adult
    penalties after an arbritrary decision to charge "as an adult". Do we
    have any similar concept?

Ask Venables and Thompson ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Wed Dec 27 11:50:51 2023
    On 27 Dec 2023 09:47:21 GMT, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:

On 26 Dec 2023 at 21:58:18 GMT, "Mark Goodge" ><usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

"stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders attemptint >> to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a conversation between
    the burglars to the effect that his house was one they intended to target
    over the holidays, and then, after initially leaving the house, deliberately >> returned to it with the specific intention of setting the booby traps. So
    there's no doubt that it was premeditated. The question is whether it was
    reasonable, or, if not, whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonably be >> held accountable for his actions.

Which brings us to the American concept of trying a child "as an adult"? Is >this a religious thing, is there a concept of child hiding an adult demon or >something? I can understand not using the informality of juvenile court where >the press and public demand something more formal, though I don't approve of >it, but the Americans seem to apply adult penalties after an arbritrary >decision to charge "as an adult". Do we have any similar concept?

It's one of the things that varies by state in the USA. Some states have a
    hard dividing line between the juvenile and adult court systems, others have
    a more flexible system where minors can be tried in an adult court if it
    seems more appropriate. I don't think there's anything particularly
    religious about it, it's just one of the ways in which different countries
    do things differently.

Oddly enough, the UK doesn't really have juvenile courts at all in the sense understood in the USA. If a child is prosecuted, it's heard in the same
    court system as any other case. The murderers of Brianna Ghey were tried in Manchester Crown Court, just as any adult would be. And, having been
    convicted, they, too, will be subject to as mandatory life sentence. But procedural rules are more flexible when a child is the defendant, age is a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing, and any custodial sentence imposed on a minor will be served in youth custody rather than an adult
    prison (at least, for as long as the offender remains a youth).

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Anthony R. Gold@21:1/5 to usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk on Wed Dec 27 10:25:19 2023
    On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 17:50:40 +0000, Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

[1] Before anyone mentions it: There is no minimum age of criminal responsibility in Illinois[2][3].

From ILCS (Illinois Compiled Statutes)

(720 ILCS 5/6-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 6-1)
    Sec. 6-1. Infancy.
    No person shall be convicted of any offense unless he had attained his 13th birthday at the time the offense was committed.

Cites: https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+6&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=7800000&SeqEnd=8300000
    https://www.srhunterlaw.com/Criminal-Code-of-1961-Article-6-Illinois-Criminal-Responsibility-Rules
    https://casetext.com/statute/illinois-compiled-statutes/rights-and-remedies/chapter-720-criminal-offenses/subchapter-criminal-code/act-5-criminal-code-of-2012/title-ii-principles-of-criminal-liability/article-6-responsibility/section-720-ilcs-56-1-infancy

Note: Kevin McCallister was 8 years old in Home Alone (1990).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk on Wed Dec 27 16:16:40 2023
    On 27 Dec 2023 at 11:50:51 GMT, "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

On 26 Dec 2023 at 21:58:18 GMT, "Mark Goodge"

"stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders attemptint >>> to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a conversation between >>> the burglars to the effect that his house was one they intended to target >>> over the holidays, and then, after initially leaving the house, deliberately
    returned to it with the specific intention of setting the booby traps. So >>> there's no doubt that it was premeditated. The question is whether it was >>> reasonable, or, if not, whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonably be
    held accountable for his actions.

Which brings us to the American concept of trying a child "as an adult"? Is >> this a religious thing, is there a concept of child hiding an adult demon or >> something? I can understand not using the informality of juvenile court where
    the press and public demand something more formal, though I don't approve of >> it, but the Americans seem to apply adult penalties after an arbritrary
    decision to charge "as an adult". Do we have any similar concept?

It's one of the things that varies by state in the USA. Some states have a hard dividing line between the juvenile and adult court systems, others have a more flexible system where minors can be tried in an adult court if it seems more appropriate. I don't think there's anything particularly
    do things differently.

Oddly enough, the UK doesn't really have juvenile courts at all in the sense understood in the USA. If a child is prosecuted, it's heard in the same
    court system as any other case. The murderers of Brianna Ghey were tried in Manchester Crown Court, just as any adult would be. And, having been convicted, they, too, will be subject to as mandatory life sentence. But procedural rules are more flexible when a child is the defendant, age is a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing, and any custodial sentence imposed on a minor will be served in youth custody rather than an adult prison (at least, for as long as the offender remains a youth).

Mark

We certainly do have juvenile courts, though perhaps only for summary trials.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com on Wed Dec 27 17:07:42 2023
    On 2023-12-27, Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
    [quoted text muted]

Because they serve no good purpose and increase crime and death.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Max Demian@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Wed Dec 27 17:14:47 2023
    On 27/12/2023 11:50, Mark Goodge wrote:

"stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders attemptint >>> to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a conversation between >>> the burglars to the effect that his house was one they intended to target >>> over the holidays, and then, after initially leaving the house, deliberately
    returned to it with the specific intention of setting the booby traps. So >>> there's no doubt that it was premeditated. The question is whether it was >>> reasonable, or, if not, whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonably be
    held accountable for his actions.

Which brings us to the American concept of trying a child "as an adult"? Is >> this a religious thing, is there a concept of child hiding an adult demon or >> something? I can understand not using the informality of juvenile court where
    the press and public demand something more formal, though I don't approve of >> it, but the Americans seem to apply adult penalties after an arbritrary

It's one of the things that varies by state in the USA. Some states have a hard dividing line between the juvenile and adult court systems, others have a more flexible system where minors can be tried in an adult court if it seems more appropriate. I don't think there's anything particularly
    do things differently.

court system as any other case. The murderers of Brianna Ghey were tried in Manchester Crown Court, just as any adult would be. And, having been convicted, they, too, will be subject to as mandatory life sentence. But procedural rules are more flexible when a child is the defendant, age is a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing, and any custodial sentence imposed on a minor will be served in youth custody rather than an adult prison (at least, for as long as the offender remains a youth).

So when are children "detained during His Majesty's pleasure" rather
    than having a normal life sentence? And what difference does it make?

--
    Max Demian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to billy bookcase on Wed Dec 27 17:30:30 2023
    On 27 Dec 2023 at 12:09:44 GMT, ""billy bookcase"" <billy@anon.com> wrote:

"Roger Hayter" <roger@hayter.org> wrote in message news:kv2a59F99dsU1@mid.individual.net...

May one possible reason be the simple fact that children in the UK don't
    have such ready access to guns ?

While knife crime is a tremendous problem in itself, once someone starts waving a gun around and actually shooting people they're more likely to
    be seen as having definitely joined the grown-ups

bb

On the contrary, a society where nearly everyone has guns suggests the adults have definitely joined the children.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jethro_uk@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Wed Dec 27 17:55:35 2023
    On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:07:42 +0000, Jon Ribbens wrote:

[quoted text muted]

And ? Laws aren't there to serve a good purpose and decrease crime or
    death.

Also, I'm not sure I like the idea that having entered your own home, the
    law should expect *you* to vacate it under threat of violence or
    prosecution.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com on Wed Dec 27 21:05:07 2023
    On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:07:42 +0000, Jon Ribbens wrote:
    [quoted text muted]

And ? Laws aren't there to serve a good purpose and decrease crime or
    death.

Er, yes they are? And while you may celebrate crime and death, I don't,
    and I don't think most other people do either.

Also, I'm not sure I like the idea that having entered your own home, the
    law should expect *you* to vacate it under threat of violence or
    prosecution.

What's that got to do with anything? We don't have "castle doctrine"
    statute laws here, and you don't have a duty to retreat from your home
    here either.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com on Wed Dec 27 16:15:21 2023
    On 27 Dec 2023 at 10:25:05 GMT, "Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:14:38 -0000 (UTC), Jon Ribbens
    <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote:

Personally I have no idea at all what Illinois law on defending one's >>>>> home is, and I see no profit at all in applying English law.

Your Ground" or "Castle Doctrine" laws like some states do. So I think >>>> that if Kevin had been an adult then he would almost certainly be in
    quite a lot of leeway with regard to how much danger he thought
    himself in and what counted as a proportionate response.

"stand his ground". He wasn't taken by surprise by the intruders
    attemptint to enter his home while he was in it. He overheard a
    conversation between the burglars to the effect that his house was one
    they intended to target over the holidays, and then, after initially
    leaving the house, deliberately returned to it with the specific
    intention of setting the booby traps. So there's no doubt that it was
    premeditated. The question is whether it was reasonable, or, if not,
    whether his age meant that he couldn't reasonable be held accountable
    for his actions.

Mark

juvenile court where the press and public demand something more formal,
    though I don't approve of it, but the Americans seem to apply adult

They're original sentences were not life sentences and considerably shorter than an adult would have received. Though I agree the Old Bailey trial was a travesty. And at least one of them has gone on to establish his adult criminal career.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vir Campestris@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 27 17:17:10 2023
    On 27/12/2023 10:25, Jethro_uk wrote:

juvenile court where the press and public demand something more formal,
    though I don't approve of it, but the Americans seem to apply adult

If that's the pair I think you mean, AFAICT Thompson is living a normal
    life as a citizen of the UK under a new identity. Venables, OTOH, is
    back in prison for offences not unrelated to the original Bulger murder.

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to notya...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 28 02:08:11 2023
    On 2023-12-27, notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
    In the UK you can only have man traps in a residence and possibly only
    at night. The must be mechanical (so no live door mats etc.).

You're talking abuot the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 s31, which
    bans mantraps but has an exception for "from sunset to sunrise ... in a dwelling house".

But I would be quite surprised if there have not been developments since
    then which make them illegal regardless. I certainly don't recall ever
    having heard about any case in this or the last century where a burglar
    or similar was killed or injured by a mantrap and this was considered acceptable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Thu Dec 28 10:00:10 2023
    On 27 Dec 2023 16:15:21 GMT, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:

On 27 Dec 2023 at 10:25:05 GMT, "Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:

They're original sentences were not life sentences and considerably shorter >than an adult would have received. Though I agree the Old Bailey trial was a >travesty. And at least one of them has gone on to establish his adult criminal >career.

They were sentenced to life, as that's mandatory for murder. But their
    minimum term was eight years, which is a lot less than a typical adult would get. They were both released on licence in 2001. They both have quite strict conditions attached to their licence, including never contacting each other
    and never going to Merseyside.

Thompson has not reoffended since release and remains on licence. Venables
    was recalled to prison in 2010 after being found in possession of indecent imaes of children, was released again in 2013, and recalled again in 2017.
    He is currently still in prison, the parole board having concluded that he still poses a danger to children and could reoffend.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Thu Dec 28 18:03:35 2023
    "Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuopm4b.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

bans mantraps but has an exception for "from sunset to sunrise ... in a dwelling house".

then which make them illegal regardless.

I certainly don't recall ever having heard about any case in this
    or the last century where a burglar or similar was killed or injured
    by a mantrap and this was considered acceptable.

Well, you wouldn't have would you ? *

In the first place, most designs appear to catch the person
    half way up the shin; so that apart from chronic blood loss
    over days, the prospect of death seems slight.

Nowadays all anyone catching a burglar in a mantrap need do
    surely is fetch their lap top and show them a PDF of "Offences
    Against the Person Act 1861 s31 ". Which should convince even
    the most stupid burglar, otherwise bent upon incriminating
    themselves by informing the police of the pointlessness of
    so doing.

There would then of course be the problem of turning up at
    A&E with possibly extensive leg injuries. But possibly a simple
    explanation of having been fooling about with an antique
    curiosity would merit little suspicion; certainly not as
    compared with people allegedly turning up while attached
    to vacuum cleaners or with objects stuck in the most
    unlikely of places

bb

* Guess who ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to billy bookcase on Thu Dec 28 19:20:26 2023
    On 2023-12-28, billy bookcase <billy@anon.com> wrote:

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuopm4b.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

bans mantraps but has an exception for "from sunset to sunrise ... in a
    dwelling house".

then which make them illegal regardless.

Why not?

Hence "or injured".

so doing.

It would convince only the most stupid burglars of that, given
    that a law or two has been passed since 1861, and even if the
    mantrap were not a criminal offence in itself, the injury it
    caused the burglar may well be a crime or a tort which they
    could sue the householder for.

A&E with possibly extensive leg injuries.

Why would that be a problem?

You seem to be assuming that the every burglar ever caught in a mantrap
    has escaped and then refused to make any claim against the householder
    for the injury they received. This is a rather peculiar assumption.

* Guess who ?

What?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Thu Dec 28 21:44:20 2023
    "Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuorijq.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message
    news:slrnuopm4b.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...
    In the UK you can only have man traps in a residence and possibly only >>>> at night. The must be mechanical (so no live door mats etc.).

You're talking abuot the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 s31, which >>> bans mantraps but has an exception for "from sunset to sunrise ... in a
    dwelling house".

But I would be quite surprised if there have not been developments since >>> then which make them illegal regardless.

Why not?

Hence "or injured".

so doing.

(X) As stated above, the only way it could be brought to the
    attention of the police, would be by the burglar incriminating
    themselves.

Similarly were any civil action be pursued in Court, then again
    the matter would be brought to the attention of the police.

And it might well be that the burglar's MO might lead to
    their being suspected and prosecuted for multiple previous
    offences, in addition to their homes being searched, and their
    finances scrutinised. The sort of attention no criminal would
    welcome presumably. Certainly not in exchange for a bit of
    compo, and a spell of chokey.

has escaped

They don't need to escape. They're released by the homeowner
    on compassionate grounds; and possibly even driven to A&E on the
    understanding they won't return

(It maybe goes without saying that man-traps should only be set
    on tiled rather than carpeted floors. Either that or put down
    plenty of newspaper)

and then refused to make any claim against the householder

See (X) above

bb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to billy bookcase on Thu Dec 28 23:45:43 2023
    "Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuorijq.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

themselves.

A bizarre and obviously false statement. The homeowner could report
    the crime while the burglar is trapped, or the police could detect
    the crime afterwards (pretty much by definition there's going to be
    DNA left behind). And if the burglar is seriously injured then maybe
    yes, they would quite like to see justice for that even if they end
    up with some burglary charges to answer for.

has escaped

on compassionate grounds; and possibly even driven to A&E on the understanding they won't return

has escaped or been released by the homeowner before the police arrived.
    This is a rather peculiar assumption.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to billy bookcase on Thu Dec 28 22:03:40 2023
    On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:44:20 -0000, "billy bookcase" <billy@anon.com> wrote:

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message >news:slrnuorijq.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

themselves.

And what would that cost the burglar? A fine? Which would be considerably
    more than covered by the damages they could sue the householder for.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to billy bookcase on Fri Dec 29 01:46:23 2023
    On 2023-12-29, billy bookcase <billy@anon.com> wrote:
    "Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuos257.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...
    news:slrnuorijq.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

themselves.

the crime while the burglar is trapped,

But you previously suggested that the use of such traps, such as
    to possibly cause excessive injury, might well lead to the
    homeowner themselves being prosecuted.

So it's not in the homeowners interest to report the crime.

You're making the assumption that everyone knows for sure what the law
    is. This is a remarkable assumption given that the entire point of this
    thread is that neither you nor I nor anyone else currently here seem to
    know what it is.

And in any case as the burglar has been caught, any proceeds
    of this particulkar crime will be immediately recovered by
    the homeowner. Should the burglar be carrying the proceeds
    of a previous crime from that night, then the homeowner
    could leave them somewhere and inform the police anonymously.

You seem to have departed the UK and entered a fantasy realm instead.

Further research suggests really serious injury is unlikely.
    as supposedly "humane" man traps without any teeth were already
    in use before the 1817 legislation

Why are you also assuming that "mantrap" means only a device made professionally according to some sort of industry standard?

However talk of humane traps also brought to mind the far from humane
    glue traps as are used against rodents. Thus were a convential pressure
    plate alarm placed on the floor, with a human size glue trap fixed on
    top, then based on the assumption that most burglars wear lace-up shoes - once the alarm sounded this would give the homeowner plenty of
    time to arrive on the scene and apprehend the burglar in process of desparately trying to get their shoe off in an attempt to escape.
    This is almost Dragons Den standard, this.

"Desperately trying to get their shoe off"? I don't know why you are
    *also* now assuming that burglars carry out their occupation whilst
    wearing some sort of bondage footwear.

I think your arguments might be improved by making fewer or at least better-supported assumptions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Fri Dec 29 01:29:20 2023
    "Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuos257.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

themselves.

And in any case as the burglar has been caught, any proceeds
    of this particulkar crime will be immediately recovered by
    the homeowner. Should the burglar be carrying the proceeds
    of a previous crime from that night, then the homeowner
    could leave them somewhere and inform the police anonymously.

or the police could detect
    the crime afterwards (pretty much by definition there's going to be
    DNA left behind). And if the burglar is seriously injured then maybe
    yes, they would quite like to see justice for that even if they end
    up with some burglary charges to answer for.

Further research suggests really serious injury is unlikely.
    as supposedly "humane" man traps without any teeth were already
    in use before the 1817 legislation

https://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/832217

Now fairly obviously if these were set to close completely they
    could indeed inflict serious injury. But possibly were a 4 inch
    gap allowed for, and the jaws lined with a soft material, that
    would still hold the leg without inflicting serious injury.

In which case, the householder could indeed call the police

has escaped

on compassionate grounds; and possibly even driven to A&E on the
    understanding they won't return

has escaped or been released by the homeowner before the police arrived.
    This is a rather peculiar assumption.

As stated above - only if the homeowner feels he himself is in danger of prosecution.

top, then based on the assumption that most burglars wear lace-up shoes -
    once the alarm sounded this would give the homeowner plenty of
    time to arrive on the scene and apprehend the burglar in process of
    desparately trying to get their shoe off in an attempt to escape.

bb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Fri Dec 29 10:33:15 2023
    "Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message news:slrnuos97f.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...
    On 2023-12-29, billy bookcase <billy@anon.com> wrote:
    news:slrnuos257.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...
    (XXXX) >>>>> It would convince only the most stupid burglars of that, given >>>>> that a law or two has been passed since 1861, and even if the

themselves.

You're making the assumption that everyone knows for sure what the law
    is. This is a remarkable assumption given that the entire point of this thread is that neither you nor I nor anyone else currently here seem to
    know what it is.

Er no. This particular exchange was based on "your" assumption that
    had anyone been caught in mantrap in say the last say 100 years
    then you would have heard about it

as in

" I certainly don't recall ever having heard about any case in this
    by a mantrap and this was considered acceptable."

Your first admission was that death was unlikely.

I then proceeded to suggests various reason why neither party,
    neither the householder nor the burglar might wish to bring
    such an incident to the attention of the police. Or to your
    attention subsequently

The householder: Firstly for fear of prosecution for using the
    mantrap, given as you explain above the general uncertainty
    regarding the law. But secondly, and equally importantly because
    they the householder might not welcome too much attention
    from the police. They might well be engaged in criminal activity
    themselves which may be why they were targets for burglary; and
    clearly they have no way of knowing what the burglar might
    reveal to the police about them, in an attempt to curry favour

While from the burglar;s perspective quite obviously they would
    wish to avoid conviction. But equally when dealing with a
    householder who is sufficiently ruthless to set a man trap,
    once having been set free and given a second chance, for
    whatever reason (see above) its probably not the wisest of
    moves to subsequently double cross such an individual by suing
    them for any injuries incurred. As this would seem almost
    a cast iron method of simply procuring further and more
    serious injuries.

And certainly not in a situation where, as you explain above
    nobody is exactly sure what the law is, in any case

All of which are perfectly valid reasons why, you may indeed not
    recall ever having heard about any case in this or the last
    century where a burglar or similar was [killed or] injured
    by a mantrap.

Despite this quite possibly having been a regular occurrence
    for all anyone knows; for the reasons given above

snip

top, then based on the assumption that most burglars wear lace-up shoes -
    once the alarm sounded this would give the homeowner plenty of
    time to arrive on the scene and apprehend the burglar in process of
    desparately trying to get their shoe off in an attempt to escape.

"Desperately trying to get their shoe off"? I don't know why you are
    *also* now assuming that burglars carry out their occupation whilst
    wearing some sort of bondage footwear.

Rather than wearing slip ons, which were one to fall off would not
    only impede the burglar's progress but leave evidence behind, I
    naturally assumed burglars would wear tightly laced-up trainers
    or lightweight lace up boots with lots of lace holes needing
    loosening.

Those are certainly be what they'll be wearing on the
    Dragon's Den demonstration.

The initial shock of finding themselves stuck to a heavy 4ft
    square pressure plate glue trap combination* should occupy
    the first ten seconds of their time in any case. Plenty of time
    to throw a net over them while they're crouching down struggling
    with their shoelaces.

bb

*Which is necessarily "portable" to some extent at least; so
    as to allow removal in daytime

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Fri Dec 29 10:59:18 2023
    "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message news:q3sroidbrmhc15jt561birda1sf588b25j@4ax.com...
    On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:44:20 -0000, "billy bookcase" <billy@anon.com> wrote:

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+usenet@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message >>news:slrnuorijq.5oa.jon+usenet@raven.unequivocal.eu...

themselves.

And what would that cost the burglar? A fine?

Not if he's got a shed at home or a lockup stuffed full of the
    proceeds of previous jobs.

Which would be considerably more than covered by the damages they

Which might well work out less than what he could earn in the future
    providing he stays off of the police radar.

But there is also another consideration. To use a mantrap in the
    first place marks the homeowner out as a pretty ruthless individual.
    However in this case they've given the burglar a second chance.
    They haven't informed the police. The fact that this may be as
    much in their own interests the burglar's is neither here nor
    there. Maybe the homeowner wants to avoid the attention of the
    police for their own good reasons, apart from this.

In which case, as the burglar, it might not be the smartest of
    moves to effectively double cross someone who sets man traps,
    is wary of the attentions of the police, and was kind enough
    to give you a second chance, by suing them. Who is maybe even
    one of your own. As this may well make them even more upset.

bb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jethro_uk@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 29 11:09:44 2023
    Given how "things" work, I suspect there is a non-zero chance that
    sometime in the past (say) 50 years, a would be bad'un (thief most
    likely) has run into very bad luck and is now no more without a clue as
    to what happened. The general police attitude to missing persons of that description being a murderers friend.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 1 14:01:47 2024
    On 1 Jan 2024 at 13:30:21 GMT, "notyalckram@gmail.com" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 28 December 2023 at 19:20:32 UTC, Jon Ribbens wrote:
    On 2023-12-28, billy bookcase <bi...@anon.com> wrote:

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+u...@unequivocal.eu> wrote in message
    news:slrnuopm4b.5...@raven.unequivocal.eu...
    On 2023-12-27, notya...@gmail.com <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
    In the UK you can only have man traps in a residence and possibly only >>>>> at night. The must be mechanical (so no live door mats etc.).

You're talking abuot the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 s31, which >>>> bans mantraps but has an exception for "from sunset to sunrise ... in a >>>> dwelling house".

But I would be quite surprised if there have not been developments since >>>> then which make them illegal regardless.

Why not?
    Hence "or injured".
    so doing.

And indeed before - Spring Guns Act 1827 banned them for catching poachers or livestock thieves.

has escaped and then refused to make any claim against the householder

Whilst the householder might not be criminally liable if their trap catches a burglar in their house [at night] this does not mean the burglar could not sue
    in the civil courts.

If the injury was not caused by a crime, as opposed to being an assault the police did not bother to prosecute, what tort could the burglar sue for?

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Mon Jan 1 16:13:58 2024
    On 2024-01-01, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
    On 1 Jan 2024 at 13:30:21 GMT, "notyalckram@gmail.com" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
    Whilst the householder might not be criminally liable if their trap
    catches a burglar in their house [at night] this does not mean the
    burglar could not sue in the civil courts.

If the injury was not caused by a crime, as opposed to being an
    assault the police did not bother to prosecute, what tort could the
    burglar sue for?

Well it's clearly a trespass to the person, so battery presumably.
    The householder would surely claim self-defence, of course.

I imagine the outcome would depend on the circumstances - an armed
    burglar who received a minor injury from a not-particularly-dangerous
    trap might get short shrift whereas a postman crippled for life by
    a bear-trap might get a huge payout.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05