• Re: Legal issues associated with saving usenet posts (Was: Google Group

From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to Spiros Bousbouras on Sun Dec 17 19:56:35 2023
    On 17 Dec 2023 at 17:18:13 GMT, "Spiros Bousbouras" <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:13:12 GMT
    Pamela <uklm@permabulator.33mail.com> wrote:
    On 21:50 16 Dec 2023, Sir Tim said:

Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
    groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to
    Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view
    and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22,
    2024 on Google Groups.

So messages posted after February 2024 will not be searchable.

Maybe somebody will step in and provide that service. If you ignore the
    bianries, Usenet traffic is probably quite modest these days.

And , to make this more topical , what are the legal issues connected with archiving and making public on the web usenet posts ? I would imagine issues related to privacy and copyright. In particular , posts through googlegroups have in their header the IP of the connection of the browser which did the posting. I guess this counts as some kind of private information , especially if the person who did the posting uses their real name. It tells everyone that SoAndSo on such and such date likely connected to the internet through such and such IP. Is someone allowed to record and make available online such information indefinitely ? And yes , I am aware that Google does it ; this doesn't answer my question.

From the very early days there was an expectation that posts were kept in an indefinite number of places in the world for an indefinite time and at least one organisation (the one Google bought) reckoned to keep a permanent archive.
    So for some decades this has been the expectation of posters. I don't think they can start objecting now. OTOH there has for a long time been an optional X-no-archive header and it could conceivably be problematic archiving such posts.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)