• Energy Ombudsman refuses to get my smart meter working

From Clive Page@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 4 10:58:16 2023
    Earlier this year my energy supplier (EDF) said our gas and electricity meters had expired their calibrations and had to be replaced. I accepted their offer to replace them by smart metering. In May we got our smart meters and the usual in-home display
    and all worked fine for a month. Then it showed "supply disconnected contact your supplier". I did so, and in late June a technician called and eventually diagnosed a fault with the comms unit on the electricity meter and replaced it. The in-home
    display worked again. But after a few weeks it failed again the same way.

EDF denied that it was the same fault again and over the next few months insisted on sending a succession of technicians and also posted us a series of in-home displays, none of which worked at all. All showed that they were not getting data from the
    meter, even when sited within a few inches of it (so it was not a weak signal, more a complete absence of signal). It was obvious that the comms module had failed again, but EDF claimed that it was sending readings regularly to their servers over the
    phone network and that it did not matter that it was not working on the local area network (Zigbee, apparently). I can indeed go on their website to get readings but they are over 24 hours old. EDF flatly refused to repair/replace the meter comms unit
    again.

I took this to the Energy Ombudsman reasonably confident that they would rule in my favour, but I got their judgement last week and they say that it would be unreasonable to expect EDF to repair the meter again and that the in-home display is not a
    required element of the smart meter system.

I was relying upon a statement on their website https://www.energyombudsman.org/smart-meters which says
    "If you report a fault with the in-home display within 12 months of the date of installation, and your supplier is satisfied that the fault isn’t due to a failure by the customer to keep the in-home display in good working order, the supplier must
    repair or replace the in-home display free of charge."

Actually I'm not too fussed about the information provided by an in-home display: it's mildly useful, but we've managed many years without one. However the National Grid is starting to roll out schemes like "Peak Saver" which depend on consumers
    reducing their electricity usage at predicted peak periods and I think that without a working in-home display we won't be able to take part in such schemes so may lose money.

There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for appealing against a decision by the Energy Ombudsman unless one can demonstrate that the facts have changed. Are there any other ways of making progress, or has anyone else any experience of using the Energy
    Ombudsman?

--
    Clive Page

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pensive hamster@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Mon Dec 4 03:17:49 2023
    On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 10:58:24 AM UTC, Clive Page wrote:
    Earlier this year my energy supplier (EDF) said our gas and electricity meters had expired their calibrations and had to be replaced. I accepted their offer to replace them by smart metering. In May we got our smart meters and the usual in-home display
    and all worked fine for a month. Then it showed "supply disconnected contact your supplier". I did so, and in late June a technician called and eventually diagnosed a fault with the comms unit on the electricity meter and replaced it. The in-home display
    worked again. But after a few weeks it failed again the same way.

EDF denied that it was the same fault again and over the next few months insisted on sending a succession of technicians and also posted us a series of in-home displays, none of which worked at all. All showed that they were not getting data from the
    meter, even when sited within a few inches of it (so it was not a weak signal, more a complete absence of signal). It was obvious that the comms module had failed again, but EDF claimed that it was sending readings regularly to their servers over the
    phone network and that it did not matter that it was not working on the local area network (Zigbee, apparently). I can indeed go on their website to get readings but they are over 24 hours old. EDF flatly refused to repair/replace the meter comms unit
    again.

I took this to the Energy Ombudsman reasonably confident that they would rule in my favour, but I got their judgement last week and they say that it would be unreasonable to expect EDF to repair the meter again and that the in-home display is not a

I was relying upon a statement on their website https://www.energyombudsman.org/smart-meters which says
    "If you report a fault with the in-home display within 12 months of the date of installation, and your supplier is satisfied that the fault isn’t due to a failure by the customer to keep the in-home display in good working order, the supplier must

Actually I'm not too fussed about the information provided by an in-home display: it's mildly useful, but we've managed many years without one. However the National Grid is starting to roll out schemes like "Peak Saver" which depend on consumers
    reducing their electricity usage at predicted peak periods and I think that without a working in-home display we won't be able to take part in such schemes so may lose money.

There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for appealing against a decision by the Energy Ombudsman unless one can demonstrate that the facts have changed. Are there any other ways of making progress, or has anyone else any experience of using the Energy
    Ombudsman?

--
    Clive Page

I can't offer you any advice for your particular situation,
    but you may be interested in this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-67591320
    Smart meters: Almost three million still not working

At the end of the article, it says:

'Are you having trouble with your smart meter? Share
    your experiences by emailing haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk.

'Please include a contact number if you are willing to
    speak to a BBC journalist. You can also get in touch in
    the following ways:
    [...]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Todal@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Mon Dec 4 12:59:19 2023
    On 04/12/2023 10:58, Clive Page wrote:

Actually I'm not too fussed about the information provided by an in-home display: it's mildly useful, but we've managed many years without one. However the National Grid is starting to roll out schemes like "Peak
    Saver" which depend on consumers reducing their electricity usage at predicted peak periods and I think that without a working in-home
    display we won't be able to take part in such schemes so may lose money.

I can't offer any suggestions or advice relating to your query, but I do
    agree that the in-home display is of very limited use if you already
    know which appliances in your home have a high energy demand.

But what I do find useful on the in-home display is where it tells you
    the cost of the energy you have used for the current month up to today.
    It makes it easier to plan your expenditure for the month and decide
    whether to increase the direct debit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AnthonyL@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Mon Dec 4 13:21:32 2023
    On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:58:16 +0000, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> wrote:

Earlier this year my energy supplier (EDF) said our gas and electricity meters had expired their calibrations and had to be replaced. I accepted their offer to replace them by smart metering. In May we got our smart meters and the usual in-home
    display and all worked fine for a month. Then it showed "supply disconnected contact your supplier". I did so, and in late June a technician called and eventually diagnosed a fault with the comms unit on the electricity meter and replaced it. The in-
    home display worked again. But after a few weeks it failed again the same way.

again.

Actually I'm not too fussed about the information provided by an in-home display:

But surely you should be!! I thought the point of smart meters is that
    you can track you usage in real time and save the planet by turning
    things off that you don't need at that moment.

The line now appears to say that is all officially a big lie.

--
    AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Johnson@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Mon Dec 4 14:33:05 2023

Earlier this year my energy supplier (EDF) said our gas and electricity meters had expired their calibrations and had to be replaced. I accepted their offer to replace them by smart metering. In May we got our smart meters and the usual in-home
    display and all worked fine for a month. Then it showed "supply disconnected contact your supplier". I did so, and in late June a technician called and eventually diagnosed a fault with the comms unit on the electricity meter and replaced it. The in-
    home display worked again. But after a few weeks it failed again the same way.

again.

Ombudsman?

If the meters are communicating the energy used to EDF then I thinks
    that's all you can expect. That's all they are obliged to provide. I'm
    pretty sure that the in-home displays are a 'shiney freeby' offered to encourage smart meter take-up and that there's no obligation to supply
    them or, as you have found out, to make sure that they work in all circumstances.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Mon Dec 4 18:11:57 2023
    On 10:58 4 Dec 2023, Clive Page said:

[DETAILS OF SITUATION SNIPPED]

There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for appealing against a
    decision by the Energy Ombudsman unless one can demonstrate that the
    facts have changed. Are there any other ways of making progress, or
    has anyone else any experience of using the Energy Ombudsman?

I can't speak to the details of your experience with the smart meter but
    I was recently looking at some of the decisions by the Health Service
    (and Parliamentary) ombudsman.

See them here: https://decisions.ombudsman.org.uk/

Some of the PHSO ombudsman's arguments for disallowing an appeal of a
    health service complaint struck me as distinctly weak. I too was left
    wondering if an appellant had recourse to further judgement. However I understand the PHSO ombusdsman reports to the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee in the House of Commons ... and that's
    simply not going to deal with a personal case.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam Plusnet@21:1/5 to Peter Johnson on Mon Dec 4 19:07:01 2023
    On 04-Dec-23 14:33, Peter Johnson wrote:

home display worked again. But after a few weeks it failed again the same way. >>
    again.

There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for appealing against a decision by the Energy Ombudsman unless one can demonstrate that the facts have changed. Are there any other ways of making progress, or has anyone else any experience of using the
    Energy Ombudsman?

pretty sure that the in-home displays are a 'shiney freeby' offered to encourage smart meter take-up and that there's no obligation to supply
    them or, as you have found out, to make sure that they work in all circumstances.

How does the customer verify that the energy usage figures, which EDF
    claim come from the meter, are the real figures and not some aberration
    of their system?

--
    Sam Plusnet

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Sam Plusnet on Mon Dec 4 20:07:23 2023
    Sam Plusnet wrote:

of their system?

Presumably they have to blow the cobwebs off the meter and read the
    actual display, rather than the in-home display.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Harry Bloomfield Esq@21:1/5 to Sam Plusnet on Mon Dec 4 21:26:53 2023
    On 04/12/2023 19:07, Sam Plusnet wrote:
    of their system?

You can always press the appropriate button on the meter, to display the present reading. I read mine, and feed them into a spreadsheet, each week.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 4 22:17:53 2023
    On 4 Dec 2023 at 21:26:53 GMT, "Harry Bloomfield Esq" <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

of their system?

You can always press the appropriate button on the meter, to display the present reading. I read mine, and feed them into a spreadsheet, each week.

At least the old electro-mechanical meters were nearly always more-or-less accurate, or visibly wildly wrong. With firmware involved who knows when they might misread by 5, 10, or 50%?

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Mon Dec 4 22:23:59 2023
    Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> wrote:
    Actually I'm not too fussed about the information provided by an in-home display: it's mildly useful, but we've managed many years without one. However the National Grid is starting to roll out schemes like "Peak
    Saver" which depend on consumers reducing their electricity usage at predicted peak periods and I think that without a working in-home display
    we won't be able to take part in such schemes so may lose money.

I can't speak for any appeals process, but on that point you should be able
    to join such schemes, as long as your energy company is getting readings is
    all that matters. There are also other devices which can pair with your
    meter to get the live data, if you need realtime feedback.

Or switch to Octopus, they have a much better reputation for sorting smart meter problems. Someone working for the DCC (comms network) said that 70% of all fault tickets were being reported by Octopus staff.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clive Page@21:1/5 to pensive hamster on Tue Dec 5 09:39:56 2023
    On 04/12/2023 11:17, pensive hamster wrote:

the following ways:
    [...]

Thanks, I've just done that. But with millions of these not working, they may have too many of us to talk to.

--
    Clive Page

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Johnson@21:1/5 to Sam Plusnet on Tue Dec 5 14:58:39 2023
    On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:07:01 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

pretty sure that the in-home displays are a 'shiney freeby' offered to
    encourage smart meter take-up and that there's no obligation to supply
    them or, as you have found out, to make sure that they work in all
    circumstances.

of their system?

The same as they would do with amy other meter, read it and see how
    close it is to the bill.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clive Page@21:1/5 to Sam Plusnet on Tue Dec 5 15:19:11 2023
    How does the customer verify that the energy usage figures, which EDF claim come from the meter, are the real figures and not some aberration of their system?

Well the gas and electricity meters still have a display on the front which can be read. I haven't checked that these are identical with the values shown in arrears in the EDF website, but they are certainly about the same. Of course having the numbers
    on display inside the house is a lot more convenient.

--
    Clive Page

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clive Page@21:1/5 to Theo on Tue Dec 5 15:23:36 2023
    On 04/12/2023 22:23, Theo wrote:
    I can't speak for any appeals process, but on that point you should be able to join such schemes, as long as your energy company is getting readings is all that matters. There are also other devices which can pair with your meter to get the live data, if you need realtime feedback.

Or switch to Octopus, they have a much better reputation for sorting smart meter problems. Someone working for the DCC (comms network) said that 70% of all fault tickets were being reported by Octopus staff.

We have friends who use Octopus and speak well of them. I might try to switch, as rates are pretty much the same from all companies at present. But I rather assumed that if the new company took over an installation which was giving them readings but
    not the in-home display, they might say "not our problem guv".

--
    Clive Page

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pancho@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Tue Dec 5 15:38:32 2023
    On 05/12/2023 15:23, Clive Page wrote:

Or switch to Octopus, they have a much better reputation for sorting
    smart
    meter problems. Someone working for the DCC (comms network) said that
    70% of
    all fault tickets were being reported by Octopus staff.

We have friends who use Octopus and speak well of them.   I might try to switch, as rates are pretty much the same from all companies at
    present.  But I rather assumed that if the new company took over an installation which was giving them readings but not the in-home display,
    they might say "not our problem guv".

I'm with Octopus.

My electric smart meter doesn't report electrical data to Octopus or the
    IHD, it does report gas data. Octopus haven't fixed it. I've been with
    them about 8 months, since they took over Bulb. It stopped working
    smartly about 4 years ago.

Octopus did, eventually, correct Bulb's ridiculous overestimates of my predicted yearly usage, but they still tried to overcharge when I had a
    huge credit balance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clive Page@21:1/5 to TTman on Tue Dec 5 15:42:47 2023
    On 04/12/2023 23:36, TTman wrote:
    What they didn't say/explain is exactly how the 3 million aren't working. There's many reasons. Many are directly related to the In House Display not working. No wonder. 2.4G bluetooth is severely range limited.Major problem right there and the however
    many costomers say 'my smart meter is faulty' when what they really mean is 'my in house display is faulty'. I suggest ( IME moderating an energy group) that the faulty IHDs form a large part of the 3 million. yes, after 12 months, there is ABSOLUTELY no
    obligation for an energy company to resolve/fix ANY issues with IHDs.
    Apalling IMO.

Agreed. In the Ombudsman response I got sent this URL https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-03/Electricity%20Supply%20Standard%20Consolidated%20Licence%20Conditions%20-%20Current.pdf
    which makes interesting reading (and it's only 601 pages long). The Ombudsman response only referenced sections 40.1.e and 40.16 which concern the in-home display (IHD). But as noted in my original posting its clearly the Home Area Network (HAN) in the
    electricity meter which has failed (twice now).

But to disagree with you - I think there *is* an obligation on the energy companies to repair it. The question is how often.

Section 49.21(b) of that long document states that

"The licensee must take all reasonable steps to ensure that it both establishes and thereafter maintains a connection through the HAN between the Smart Metering System any In-Home Display provided to it by the Domestic Customer at the relevant IHD
    premises that is located within a part of the premioses to which the HAN extends;"

This is similar, but not identical to the conditions set for the IHD itself. The real question is what are "all reasonable steps". EDF have made one attempt to repair it but refused to do any more, as this might involve replacing the whole electricity
    meter which would be expensive. But it failed within the first month.

If I buy an appliance from a retailer in the UK and it fails within a month I have the right to get it repaired or replaced. Obviously it was not a satisfactory repair as it failed again so soon. But the Ombudsman think it is reasonable to leave it not
    working after one repair attempt. The real problem is that the Energy Ombudsman is paid by the Energy Companies, so they know whose side to veer towards in cases like this, if they want to keep the funding going.

I can try to appeal, but this also goes to the same Ombudsman service, and the person who spoke to me on the phone implied that if the facts were unchanged the the decision was extremely likely to change.

--
    Clive Page

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk on Tue Dec 5 14:02:20 2023
    On 04 Dec 2023 22:23:59 +0000 (GMT), Theo
    <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

Actually I'm not too fussed about the information provided by an in-home
    display: it's mildly useful, but we've managed many years without one.
    However the National Grid is starting to roll out schemes like "Peak
    Saver" which depend on consumers reducing their electricity usage at
    predicted peak periods and I think that without a working in-home display
    we won't be able to take part in such schemes so may lose money.

I can't speak for any appeals process, but on that point you should be able >to join such schemes, as long as your energy company is getting readings is >all that matters. There are also other devices which can pair with your >meter to get the live data, if you need realtime feedback.

The third party devices use the same LAN connectivity mechanism as the supplier-provided IHD, so if the problem is that the LAN isn't working
    (which appears to be the case here) then a third-party device will be
    equally unable to connect.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Tue Dec 5 23:52:27 2023
    On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:39:56 +0000

On 04/12/2023 11:17, pensive hamster wrote:

the following ways:
    [...]

Thanks, I've just done that. But with millions of these not working,
    they may have too many of us to talk to.

I noticed on the BBC item that there was a rep. from the Ombudsman
    who was telling everybody with problems to report them and they would
    sort them out. (Yeah, right). The presenter then gave a URL, and said
    that, if you didn't have access to the internet, then find somebody who
    does, and on the website, you could find a 'phone number and even a mail address for the Ombudsman. Social Media was also mentioned.
    But if you are somebody who is housebound, does not have a computer,
    and does not know anybody who does, you are also unlikely to subscribe
    to social media. Why could they not just give out the contact 'phone
    numbe
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pancho@21:1/5 to TTman on Wed Dec 6 08:15:08 2023
    On 05/12/2023 23:36, TTman wrote:
    On 05/12/2023 15:38, Pancho wrote:

Or switch to Octopus, they have a much better reputation for sorting
    smart
    meter problems. Someone working for the DCC (comms network) said
    that 70% of
    all fault tickets were being reported by Octopus staff.

We have friends who use Octopus and speak well of them.   I might try
    to switch, as rates are pretty much the same from all companies at
    present.  But I rather assumed that if the new company took over an
    installation which was giving them readings but not the in-home
    display, they might say "not our problem guv".

I'm with Octopus.

My electric smart meter doesn't report electrical data to Octopus or
    the IHD, it does report gas data. Octopus haven't fixed it. I've been
    with them about 8 months, since they took over Bulb. It stopped
    working smartly about 4 years ago.

Octopus did, eventually, correct Bulb's ridiculous overestimates of my
    predicted yearly usage, but they still tried to overcharge when I had
    a huge credit balance.

So, it's not the HAN. .... You just need to persuade Octopus to get your electric meter SMETs 1 adopted. Maybe it can't be adopted. In which
    case, ask for a SMETS2 electric meter upgrade as a loyal Octopus
    customer LOL

The Electric meter is SMETs 2.

AIUI, the way these things work is that the Electric Meter reports the
    data from the Gas Meter, so it is working partially. It just doesn't
    report Electricity data, or more likely, Octopus don't listen when it does.

By its very nature, this problem is known to Octopus, yet they do
    nothing about it. Just saying. One gets bored with complaining
    ineffectually.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to TTman on Wed Dec 6 08:24:56 2023
    TTman wrote:

I'm not aware of any IHDs that replicate the main meter numbers.

I doubt there are any that CAN'T?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Harry Bloomfield Esq@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Wed Dec 6 11:31:49 2023
    On 05/12/2023 15:19, Clive Page wrote:
    Well the gas and electricity meters still have a display on the front
    which can be read.  I haven't checked that these are identical with the values shown in arrears in the EDF website, but they are certainly about
    the same.  Of course having the numbers on display inside the house is a
    lot more convenient.

My IHD doesn't even show the basic information of the meter readings.
    The only way to get the meter readings, is by going out and pressing the buttons.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Harry Bloomfield Esq@21:1/5 to Clive Page on Wed Dec 6 11:42:10 2023
    We have friends who use Octopus and speak well of them.   I might try to switch, as rates are pretty much the same from all companies at
    present.  But I rather assumed that if the new company took over an installation which was giving them readings but not the in-home display,
    they might say "not our problem guv".

Yep - I'm with Octopus now, and they are really on the ball, near
    instant replies to enquiries, human, and really helpful - people you can
    deal with.

My account was taken over by BG, when my supplier went bust, which was
    when the nightmare began with BG. BG were totally incompetent, got my
    account in a mess, my smart meters were off line for months. Not knowing
    what I owed them, it was difficult to leave them.

When I finally did, to Octopus, they got my smarts working the same
    week, been spot on ever since, except BG decided to settle my account
    with them, of several hundred pounds owing to them by DD, without any
    warning at all - they just took it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Andy Burns on Wed Dec 6 11:01:53 2023
    Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
    TTman wrote:

I had that problem when I got a SMETS2 meter installed to replace a meter situated in a very awkward position (stand on a chair, remove an access
    panel via a secret handshake, shove a phone in to take a picture). The IHD
    was handy, but when I switched supplier neither the switch procedure nor the new supplier (the late unlamented Symbio) used the smart meter. Since I couldn't get the main meter numbers on the IHD I was back to the stand on a chair routine.

(I think it was a Chameleon IHD, maybe IHD 5 or something)

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Theo on Wed Dec 6 13:04:29 2023
    Theo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

TTman wrote:

I had that problem when I got a SMETS2 meter installed to replace a meter situated in a very awkward position (stand on a chair, remove an access
    panel via a secret handshake, shove a phone in to take a picture). The IHD was handy, but when I switched supplier neither the switch procedure nor the new supplier (the late unlamented Symbio) used the smart meter. Since I couldn't get the main meter numbers on the IHD I was back to the stand on a chair routine.

Do you mean for the register readings, or the meter serial number?
    My 12 year old brick shows both for elec and gas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Harry Bloomfield Esq on Wed Dec 6 13:12:35 2023
    Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:

You can always press the appropriate button on the meter, to display the present reading.

I doubt my gas meter's battery would have lasted until now if I pressed
    the button (which gives backlight) ever time I needed to read it ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Harry Bloomfield Esq@21:1/5 to Andy Burns on Wed Dec 6 15:35:44 2023
    On 06/12/2023 13:12, Andy Burns wrote:
    I doubt my gas meter's battery would have lasted until now if I pressed
    the button (which gives backlight) ever time I needed to read it ...

Well, I press the button once per week to read it, and several years
    later it is still working just fine. It only lights for a few seconds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Andy Burns on Wed Dec 6 17:09:44 2023
    Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
    Theo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

TTman wrote:

I had that problem when I got a SMETS2 meter installed to replace a meter situated in a very awkward position (stand on a chair, remove an access panel via a secret handshake, shove a phone in to take a picture). The IHD was handy, but when I switched supplier neither the switch procedure nor the
    new supplier (the late unlamented Symbio) used the smart meter. Since I couldn't get the main meter numbers on the IHD I was back to the stand on a chair routine.

Do you mean for the register readings, or the meter serial number?
    My 12 year old brick shows both for elec and gas

The kWh readings (elec only, no gas).

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to TTman on Sun Dec 10 23:58:57 2023
    On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:29:21 +0000
    TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/12/2023 08:24, Andy Burns wrote:
    TTman wrote:

My IHD cannot display my main meter readings at all.
    It doesn't display gas standing charge
    It doesn't display export power

According to another post, you should be able to get it replaced free of charge. As I have stated, a failure of the IHD is a device failure,
    simple.

--
    Davey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to TTman on Mon Dec 11 06:34:16 2023
    TTman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

TTman wrote:

My IHD cannot display my main meter readings at all.

What is the point of it then?

It doesn't display gas standing charge

Mine did previously "know" standing and usage charges, but when I left
    e.on, they set all the rates to £0.00

It doesn't display export power

A condition of having mine installed way back when was not having PV

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clive Page@21:1/5 to Davey on Mon Dec 11 17:59:30 2023
    On 10/12/2023 23:58, Davey wrote:
    According to another post, you should be able to get it replaced free of charge. As I have stated, a failure of the IHD is a device failure,
    simple.

It's a pity that you didn't read my post at the start of this thread. I've had the IHD replaced 3 times and checked even more often, on EDF's mistaken belief (apparently shared by you) that when they fail to display the right information that's the only
    thing that can go wrong. But now, after nearly 6 months, EDF have accepted that it is the communications module in the electricity meter which is not working correctly - in the industry jargon it is the HAN (Home Area Network). The Energy Ombudsman has
    agreed with EDF that it is this unit that has failed but said that having tried to repair it once that is all they need to do.

According to news reports there around 4 million smart meters which don't work. What proportion of these are due to the failure of the HAN rather than the IHD nobody knows.

--
    Clive Page

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05