• Fradulent purchase on Ebay

From sid@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 3 15:23:15 2023
    I have had a recent problem where my credit card had been compromised.
    During a period before I noticed, there was a fraudulent purchase on Ebay
    and I received a package from a supplier. I contacted the supplier to inform them of the situation, because I had by this time got the transaction
    cancelled on my credit card and didn't want anyone to be out of pocket.

I had an answer from the supplier who were going to look into the event, but would require me to send the package back to them if they find they had not been paid. I am quite willing to do this, but not at my expense.

Is there a legal obligation for me to spend money to return the item.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From GB@21:1/5 to sid on Fri Nov 3 19:57:07 2023
    On 03/11/2023 15:23, sid wrote:
    During a period before I noticed, there was a fraudulent purchase on
    Ebay and I received a package from a supplier. I contacted the supplier
    to inform them of the situation, because I had by this time got the transaction cancelled on my credit card and didn't want anyone to be out
    of pocket.

I had an answer from the supplier who were going to look into the event,
    but would require me to send the package back to them if they find they
    had not been paid. I am quite willing to do this, but not at my expense.

I think you are a bailee (look it up to see the ramifications), so you
    should keep the item safe for the supplier to collect.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Brown@21:1/5 to sid on Fri Nov 3 19:26:53 2023
    to inform them of the situation, because I had by this time got the transaction cancelled on my credit card and didn't want anyone to be out
    of pocket.

You generally don't have time to notice. In a few hours after the card
    has been skimmed it will be making magnetic tape transactions all over
    the world until the bank fraud team notices. It might be better these
    days with AI. Its a very long while since I had a card skimmed.

Chip and PIN has partly put paid to that but there are other scams that
    can fake the PIN entered correctly response from a doctored terminal.

My recollection is that since they are unsolicited goods not ordered by
    you it is sufficient to tell them where they can be collected from or
    ask them to provide a postage free returns sticker to go on the package.
    IANAL

It will help to have a crime reference number for the bank card fraud.
    Don't expect to ever hear anything back from the bank or police :(

Even companies done for millions get nowhere fast with Inaction Fraud.

--
    Martin Brown

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to sid on Fri Nov 3 20:48:28 2023
    On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:23:15 -0000, "sid" <me@home.uk> wrote:

and I received a package from a supplier. I contacted the supplier to inform >them of the situation, because I had by this time got the transaction >cancelled on my credit card and didn't want anyone to be out of pocket.

I had an answer from the supplier who were going to look into the event, but >would require me to send the package back to them if they find they had not >been paid. I am quite willing to do this, but not at my expense.

No. But, as an involuntary bailee, you do have an obligation to take care of the itme and take reasonable steps to make the item available for return to them at their expense. Saying that you will post it back if they supply a prepaid label, or send you the cost of the postage, would be entirely reasonable.

To expand on that a bit, the item remains the property of the supplier if it has not been paid for, so it doesn't become yours even though you received
    it without asking for it. So you aren't entitled to take any action which amounts to appropriation, you have to treat it as their property. But,
    equally, you are not under any obligation to incur any expense in returning
    it to them. So they have a choice: either they can arrange the return themselves (sending a courier to collect it or sending you a prepaid postage label would be the two most common methods), or they can abandon the goods
    into your possession, at which point they do become yours. Which they choose
    is likely to depend on the value of the goods and whether or not they can reasonably be returned into stock if they do get them back.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk on Fri Nov 3 21:38:01 2023
    On 3 Nov 2023 at 20:48:28 GMT, "Mark Goodge"
    <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

and I received a package from a supplier. I contacted the supplier to inform >> them of the situation, because I had by this time got the transaction

I had an answer from the supplier who were going to look into the event, but >> would require me to send the package back to them if they find they had not >> been paid. I am quite willing to do this, but not at my expense.

No. But, as an involuntary bailee, you do have an obligation to take care of the itme and take reasonable steps to make the item available for return to them at their expense. Saying that you will post it back if they supply a prepaid label, or send you the cost of the postage, would be entirely reasonable.

To expand on that a bit, the item remains the property of the supplier if it has not been paid for, so it doesn't become yours even though you received
    it without asking for it. So you aren't entitled to take any action which amounts to appropriation, you have to treat it as their property. But, equally, you are not under any obligation to incur any expense in returning it to them. So they have a choice: either they can arrange the return themselves (sending a courier to collect it or sending you a prepaid postage label would be the two most common methods), or they can abandon the goods into your possession, at which point they do become yours. Which they choose is likely to depend on the value of the goods and whether or not they can reasonably be returned into stock if they do get them back.

Mark

For completeness, I believe the above does not apply when you have
    deliberately been sent unsolicited goods by a firm, who then expect payment or return.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TTman@21:1/5 to sid on Fri Nov 3 22:28:38 2023
    of pocket.

If it's value is small, the shipper may say keep it/dispose of it.
    Otherwise, tell them you will post it back if they give you a prepaid
    addressed label that you can print and use.

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. www.avast.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Layman@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Sat Nov 4 09:09:23 2023
    On 03/11/2023 20:48, Mark Goodge wrote:

and I received a package from a supplier. I contacted the supplier to inform >> them of the situation, because I had by this time got the transaction

I had an answer from the supplier who were going to look into the event, but >> would require me to send the package back to them if they find they had not >> been paid. I am quite willing to do this, but not at my expense.

it without asking for it. So you aren't entitled to take any action which amounts to appropriation, you have to treat it as their property. But, equally, you are not under any obligation to incur any expense in returning it to them. So they have a choice: either they can arrange the return themselves (sending a courier to collect it or sending you a prepaid postage label would be the two most common methods), or they can abandon the goods into your possession, at which point they do become yours. Which they choose is likely to depend on the value of the goods and whether or not they can reasonably be returned into stock if they do get them back.

Is there a time limit in which they are expected to arrange for it to be
    sent back or collected?

--

Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Sat Nov 4 11:20:11 2023
    On 3 Nov 2023 21:38:01 GMT, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:

For completeness, I believe the above does not apply when you have >deliberately been sent unsolicited goods by a firm, who then expect payment or >return.

Yes, indeed. But in this case it's clear from the OP's decription that the situation doesn't fall into the remit of the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act, so that point is of academic interest.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Sat Nov 4 11:31:04 2023

I agree with all that. It becomes more difficult when the supplier does
    none of the above, and goes silent. At what point can the OP assume the
    goods have abandoned into his possession?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Jeff Layman on Sat Nov 4 11:36:12 2023
    On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 09:09:23 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

To expand on that a bit, the item remains the property of the supplier if it >> has not been paid for, so it doesn't become yours even though you received >> it without asking for it. So you aren't entitled to take any action which
    amounts to appropriation, you have to treat it as their property. But,
    equally, you are not under any obligation to incur any expense in returning >> it to them. So they have a choice: either they can arrange the return
    themselves (sending a courier to collect it or sending you a prepaid postage >> label would be the two most common methods), or they can abandon the goods >> into your possession, at which point they do become yours. Which they choose >> is likely to depend on the value of the goods and whether or not they can
    reasonably be returned into stock if they do get them back.

sent back or collected?

No. The recipient is only obliged to make the goods available for collection for a reasonable time. There's no definition of "reasonable", it would be assessed according to the circumstances.

To give a couple of examples, if someone received an erroneous delivery of a crate of bricks onto their driveway (maybe intended for a similarly numbered house in a different street), which prevented them from getting their car
    onto it, then it would be entirely reasonable to expect the sender to remove them on the same or next working day, and failing that the recipient would
    be entitled to take whatever steps were necessary to regain the use of his drive - including disposing of the bricks if it came to that. But, on the
    other hand, if someone was sent, say, an item of jewellery, then it would be perfectly reasonable for them to just put it in a cupboard for as long as it takes for the sender to decide what to do about. Eventually, of course, even that would become unreasonable, but that would be a matter of weeks rather
    than days.

It also depends on how the goods came to be in the recipient's possession.
    If it was due to a clear error on the part of the sender or their agent (eg,
    a delivery company), then a shorter timescale would be appropriate. But if
    the sender or their agent is not at fault (as in the case dscribed by the
    OP), then it would be reasonable to give them a bit longer.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid on Sat Nov 4 12:32:09 2023
    On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 11:31:04 +0000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

To expand on that a bit, the item remains the property of the supplier if it >> has not been paid for, so it doesn't become yours even though you received >> it without asking for it. So you aren't entitled to take any action which
    amounts to appropriation, you have to treat it as their property. But,
    equally, you are not under any obligation to incur any expense in returning >> it to them. So they have a choice: either they can arrange the return
    themselves (sending a courier to collect it or sending you a prepaid postage >> label would be the two most common methods), or they can abandon the goods >> into your possession, at which point they do become yours. Which they choose >> is likely to depend on the value of the goods and whether or not they can
    reasonably be returned into stock if they do get them back.

I agree with all that. It becomes more difficult when the supplier does
    none of the above, and goes silent. At what point can the OP assume the
    goods have abandoned into his possession?

At the moment, I think we can assume that the OP and the supplier are in a position of informal discussion regarding the item (they've said "post it
    back to us", and he's said "sure, just send me a pre-paid label and I'll
    drop it into a postbox"). So the clock hasn't started ticking yet.

If they don't respond to informal discussion with a suitable solution, or if they continue repeating their request for him to return the item at his expense, that's the point at which it would be appropriate for him to send a formal notice that he requires the sender to collect the goods within a
    certain period of time (21 or 28 days seem to be the rule of thumb here). It would be sensible to include with this a copy of any previous communication
    in which he states that he will accept a pre-paid postage label as
    fulfulment of this obligation (assuming the item is small enough for him to send by post at no significant inconvenience to himself)[1]. The notice
    should explicitly state that if the item is not collected (or postage paid)
    by the end of that period then it will be presumed to have been abandoned
    into the possession of the recipient.

That's the only way that the recipient can create a definite cut-off point
    at which he is entitled to assume that the sender no longer requires the
    goods back. If he simply lets them go quiet without serving a formal notice
    of collection then it could be months, or even years, before it gets to a
    point where a court would agree that the goods had been abandoned.

[1] For avoidance of doubt, the recipient is under no obligation whatsoever
    to arrange return postage, even with a pre-paid label. He can simply require the sender to collect the goods (or send a courier to collect them). But if
    the item is small enough to post, it's probably less inconvenient to do so
    than waste his time sitting at home waiting for someone to arrive to pick up the item[2].

[2] If the sender arrives to collect the item within the deadline, but is unable to do so because the OP is out, then that would, at the very least, reset the clock, and could potentially make the OP liable to pay for the
    goods and/or reimburse the sender for their costs in making the unsuccessful collection attempt.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Layman@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Sat Nov 4 15:36:08 2023
    On 04/11/2023 11:36, Mark Goodge wrote:
    On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 09:09:23 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

To expand on that a bit, the item remains the property of the supplier if it
    has not been paid for, so it doesn't become yours even though you received >>> it without asking for it. So you aren't entitled to take any action which >>> amounts to appropriation, you have to treat it as their property. But,
    equally, you are not under any obligation to incur any expense in returning >>> it to them. So they have a choice: either they can arrange the return
    themselves (sending a courier to collect it or sending you a prepaid postage
    label would be the two most common methods), or they can abandon the goods >>> into your possession, at which point they do become yours. Which they choose
    is likely to depend on the value of the goods and whether or not they can >>> reasonably be returned into stock if they do get them back.

sent back or collected?

No. The recipient is only obliged to make the goods available for collection for a reasonable time. There's no definition of "reasonable", it would be assessed according to the circumstances.

To give a couple of examples, if someone received an erroneous delivery of a crate of bricks onto their driveway (maybe intended for a similarly numbered house in a different street), which prevented them from getting their car onto it, then it would be entirely reasonable to expect the sender to remove them on the same or next working day, and failing that the recipient would
    be entitled to take whatever steps were necessary to regain the use of his drive - including disposing of the bricks if it came to that. But, on the other hand, if someone was sent, say, an item of jewellery, then it would be perfectly reasonable for them to just put it in a cupboard for as long as it takes for the sender to decide what to do about. Eventually, of course, even that would become unreasonable, but that would be a matter of weeks rather than days.

It also depends on how the goods came to be in the recipient's possession.
    If it was due to a clear error on the part of the sender or their agent (eg, a delivery company), then a shorter timescale would be appropriate. But if the sender or their agent is not at fault (as in the case dscribed by the OP), then it would be reasonable to give them a bit longer.

A rather long time ago (1972) my parents moved into a flat. A week later
    a new B&D hammer drill was left in a package outside their front door.
    We had no forwarding address for the previous tenant, and no return
    address for the supplier. At the time, I thought I'd read somewhere that
    if goods weren't reclaimed in 3 months, they could be used as though
    they belonged to whoever was at the flat where they were delivered. I
    still have that drill!

--

Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to Jeff Layman on Sat Nov 4 17:41:04 2023
    On 2023-11-04, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    It also depends on how the goods came to be in the recipient's possession. >> If it was due to a clear error on the part of the sender or their
    agent (eg, a delivery company), then a shorter timescale would be
    appropriate. But if the sender or their agent is not at fault (as in
    the case dscribed by the OP), then it would be reasonable to give
    them a bit longer.

still have that drill!

I imagine you were thinking of the then-recent Unsolicited Goods and
    Services Act 1971. The period was 6 months though, not 3, and it only
    applied if you had been sent the drill with the intention that you
    then purchase it. That bit's been replaced now by the Consumer
    Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Goodge@21:1/5 to Jeff Layman on Sat Nov 4 18:04:39 2023
    On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:36:08 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

It also depends on how the goods came to be in the recipient's possession. >> If it was due to a clear error on the part of the sender or their agent (eg, >> a delivery company), then a shorter timescale would be appropriate. But if >> the sender or their agent is not at fault (as in the case dscribed by the
    OP), then it would be reasonable to give them a bit longer.

still have that drill!

I think three months is a typical rule of thumb for cases where you have no contact details, and reasonable attempts to ascertain them have been unsuccessful, and therefore you're not in a position to serve a collection notice on anyone and all you can do is wait and see if anyone contacts you.

But, as with anywhere that the law uses the word "reasonable", it can be different if the circumstances are different.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to Mark Goodge on Sat Nov 4 22:02:42 2023
    On 04/11/2023 18:04, Mark Goodge wrote:
    On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:36:08 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

It also depends on how the goods came to be in the recipient's possession. >>> If it was due to a clear error on the part of the sender or their agent (eg,
    a delivery company), then a shorter timescale would be appropriate. But if >>> the sender or their agent is not at fault (as in the case dscribed by the >>> OP), then it would be reasonable to give them a bit longer.

still have that drill!

I think three months is a typical rule of thumb for cases where you have no contact details, and reasonable attempts to ascertain them have been unsuccessful, and therefore you're not in a position to serve a collection notice on anyone and all you can do is wait and see if anyone contacts you.

But, as with anywhere that the law uses the word "reasonable", it can be different if the circumstances are different.

Mark

With something like a B&D drill, there's very little downside if it goes
    wrong. Presumably, the worst that can happen is you end up paying for it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaverN@21:1/5 to sid on Tue Nov 7 11:15:07 2023
    of pocket.

There has been lots of helpful advice in this thread, but I feel I must
    point out a major issue which nobody appears to have considered.

The package was delivered to your home address.

How did this happen? Either your Ebay account has been compromised and
    the bad actor has access to your personal information, or the fraudster
    has obtained your address by some other means.

This leads onto more serious considerations. When you are negotiating
    with the seller, how do you know it is not the fraudster impersonating
    the true seller? If you arrange for a pickup, how do you know that the "courier" is genuine?

Consider that the fraudster ordered the item to be delivered to your
    home address and, therefore, how will they collect the package from you (assuming that they wanted it in the first place)?

All I'm suggesting is that you exercise some degree of caution when
    arranging the return of the package, so that you don't compound the fraud.

--
    DaverN

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sid@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 8 11:42:05 2023
    The senders address on the label is a UK Ltd Co. (the supplier), and it was them that I contacted. I have heard no more from them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05