• Work done on the house question

From Tony The Welsh Twat@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 31 09:47:47 2023
    If a tradesman quotes you for a job, comes and apparently does it and then it subsequently becomes obvious that he/she didn't, is there a criminal offence (i.e fraud)?

As an example, a roofer who you employ to remove and nail every tile to the battens and then some tiles slip and upon examination it becomes apparent that they'd been selective in what they'd nailed?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Colin Bignell@21:1/5 to Tony The Welsh Twat on Tue Oct 31 18:50:11 2023
    On 31/10/2023 16:47, Tony The Welsh Twat wrote:
    If a tradesman quotes you for a job, comes and apparently does it and then it subsequently becomes obvious that he/she didn't, is there a criminal offence (i.e fraud)?

As an example, a roofer who you employ to remove and nail every tile to the battens and then some tiles slip and upon examination it becomes apparent that they'd been selective in what they'd nailed?

Unlike slates, which will slip if not individually nailed, standard
    practice with interlocking tiles used to be to nail the eaves, two more
    rows, then every fifth row up. However, if you contact the tile
    manufacturer, they should be able to tell you what they recommend for
    fixing their tiles.

--
    Colin Bignell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David McNeish@21:1/5 to Tony The Welsh Twat on Tue Oct 31 12:11:40 2023
    On Tuesday, 31 October 2023 at 18:24:53 UTC, Tony The Welsh Twat wrote:

Have you ever heard of anybody facing prosecution for similar things? I can't see the cops being interested in any tenuous arguments that it might be fraud. You've got civil remedies - use those.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Harry Bloomfield Esq@21:1/5 to Tony The Welsh Twat on Tue Oct 31 19:49:33 2023
    As an example, a roofer who you employ to remove and nail every tile to
    the battens and then some tiles slip and upon examination it becomes
    apparent that they'd been selective in what they'd nailed?

Roof tiles are not routinely all nailed, so a poor example.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to tonythewelshtwat@gmail.com on Tue Oct 31 20:26:10 2023
    On 31 Oct 2023 at 16:47:47 GMT, "Tony The Welsh Twat" <tonythewelshtwat@gmail.com> wrote:

As an example, a roofer who you employ to remove and nail every tile to the battens and then some tiles slip and upon examination it becomes apparent that
    they'd been selective in what they'd nailed?

It is unlikely to be fraud. If the contract explicitly said every tile should be nailed then it is breach of contract, unless they can show why their method was equivalent. If the contract is silent on the matter then it must be a matter of degree/expert opinion whether it is a cheap but acceptable standard or not. In the absence of years passing or an exceptionally strong wind then I suppose tiles slipping suggests not. It may not be conclusive.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From SH@21:1/5 to Tony The Welsh Twat on Tue Oct 31 21:33:25 2023

I had an extension put up.

it had a single pitched roof which sloped downwards away from the house.

Therer was going to be fascia board and guttering fitted.

I specified in writing that the fascia board was to be affixed using
    screws, not nails.

The reason why? so I could remove it and run some CCTV cabling from
    behind it which had been first fixed, I drilled a hole in fascia board
    to pass cable through and then fixed the CCTV dome camera to the fascia
    board. The connection of the camera pigtail to the CCTV cable was made
    behind the fascia.

So the devil in the detail really is whether it was specified to the
    roofer that every single roofing tile was to be nailed or screwed down.

As others have mentioned, roofers either follow their own training or
    the manufacturers guidance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TTman@21:1/5 to Tony The Welsh Twat on Tue Oct 31 22:40:20 2023

Breach of contract. Contract not completed as per terms. But did he just
    miss a few ? Fraud? How are you going to prove that? No chance...
    Consumer rights act maybe, but that leads to not in accordance with
    industry recognised best practice. Best practice is a long way from nail
    every clay tile. Slates yes, tiles no. Tell the builder you want a
    refund for not doing the job as instructed.

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. www.avast.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05