• Legal script

From RJH@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 29 09:38:17 2023
    I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property transfer. I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some sort
    of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to resemble letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like
    'and' - but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I assume
    it must have but can't find any guide using google etc.

I've put a couple of examples in the link below - some of the words are obvious, but I've had to try and deduce others in the bold underlined script. Any best guesses welcome!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0z5fEtEv8C8Rw
    --
    Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Apr 29 10:06:59 2023
    On 29 Apr 2023 at 10:38:17 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property transfer. I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some sort of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to resemble letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like 'and' - but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I assume it must have but can't find any guide using google etc.

I've put a couple of examples in the link below - some of the words are obvious, but I've had to try and deduce others in the bold underlined script. Any best guesses welcome!

Could it be some form of shorthand? Can't think why, though.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Bignell@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Apr 29 11:57:20 2023
    On 29/04/2023 10:38, RJH wrote:
    I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property transfer. I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some sort of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to resemble letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like 'and' - but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I assume it must have but can't find any guide using google etc.

Try the writing experts on RootsChat. They have a lot of experience with
    odd writing:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/

--
    Colin Bignell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Colin Bignell on Sat Apr 29 11:28:06 2023
    On 29 Apr 2023 at 11:57:20 BST, Colin Bignell wrote:

I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property transfer. >> I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some sort >> of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to resemble
    letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I assume >> it must have but can't find any guide using google etc.

I've put a couple of examples in the link below - some of the words are
    obvious, but I've had to try and deduce others in the bold underlined script.
    Any best guesses welcome!

odd writing:

Many thanks - given it a whirl and posted.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Graham Truesdale@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Apr 29 05:31:45 2023
    On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 10:38:23 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:

--

It is or was normal conveyancing practice to highlight certain words. The underlined words are "And Whereas", "Now this Indenture Witnesseth" and "All that".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Sat Apr 29 11:24:06 2023
    Roger Hayter wrote:

<patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

Could it be some form of shorthand? Can't think why, though.

some sort of extreme blackletter gothic?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billy bookcase@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Apr 29 12:03:45 2023
    "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote in message news:u2ioi9$2t997$1@dont-email.me...
    I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property
    transfer.
    I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some
    sort
    of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to
    resemble
    letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like 'and' - but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I
    assume

I've put a couple of examples in the link below - some of the words are obvious, but I've had to try and deduce others in the bold underlined
    script.

Top one "And"

Middle one before indenture "Now this" after indenture "witnesseth"

Bottom one "Ask"

It''s simply written with a very very broad nib with lots of flourishes/extensions to the letters.

Although quite why, is anybodys guess

bb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Brown@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Apr 29 15:37:35 2023
    On 29/04/2023 12:28, RJH wrote:
    On 29 Apr 2023 at 11:57:20 BST, Colin Bignell wrote:

I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property transfer.
    I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some sort
    of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to resemble
    letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like >>> 'and' - but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I assume

odd writing:

Many thanks - given it a whirl and posted.

FWIW I think it is a Gothic script done for emphasis and they are

mentioned "Word" whereas
    "from this" Indenture (indecipherable) that
    could be marriaggekts or mitrieggetts
    Purchasers "Will" that

Not quite enough samples to get a feel for what all the vowels should
    look like your best best is to use frequency analysis to guess the symbols.

--
    Martin Brown

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Graham Truesdale on Sun Apr 30 07:37:20 2023
    On 29 Apr 2023 at 13:31:45 BST, Graham Truesdale wrote:

On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 10:38:23 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
    I've transcribed a handwritten 1925 indenture relating to property transfer. >> I've managed most of it but can't fully unscramble what looks like some sort >> of occasional cipher to my untrained eye. The script doesn't seem to resemble
    letters. The main culprits are what I assume are simple conjunctions like

What was the reason for this script? Did it follow a standard form? I assume >> it must have but can't find any guide using google etc.

--

It is or was normal conveyancing practice to highlight certain words. The underlined words are "And Whereas", "Now this Indenture Witnesseth" and "All that".

Code cracked, thanks very much.

I understand emphasis - makes it easier to get the essence. But why the (to my eye) illegible in places script? If anything it made it more frustrating - key words that to many readers difficult to interpret. Maybe that's it - could
    only be read reliably by a legal professional?
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to RJH on Sun Apr 30 09:56:23 2023
    On 30/04/2023 08:37, RJH wrote:

It is or was normal conveyancing practice to highlight certain words. The
    underlined words are "And Whereas", "Now this Indenture Witnesseth" and "All >> that".

I understand emphasis - makes it easier to get the essence. But why the (to my
    eye) illegible in places script? If anything it made it more frustrating - key
    words that to many readers difficult to interpret. Maybe that's it - could only be read reliably by a legal professional?

FWIW, that was my reading of it, too. It's worth posting any other bits
    that are unclear.

These documents were usually written without any punctuation, so this emphasised wording was intended to indicate breaks? It does seem to be a
    weird script, though, almost gothic.

Is this to do with your boundary wall issue? I thought you said the
    document was supposed to be illegible?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 30 09:18:34 2023
    On 30 Apr 2023 at 09:56:23 BST, GB wrote:

It is or was normal conveyancing practice to highlight certain words. The >>> underlined words are "And Whereas", "Now this Indenture Witnesseth" and "All
    that".

words that to many readers difficult to interpret. Maybe that's it - could >> only be read reliably by a legal professional?

that are unclear.

These documents were usually written without any punctuation, so this emphasised wording was intended to indicate breaks? It does seem to be a weird script, though, almost gothic.

Yes, it is. I've now managed to transcribe the entire (1200 word) document. No idea what my solicitor's problem with it was.

The document refers to an arrangement whereby the other side (not the boundary in question) sold the land to a new owner of 'my' property in 1925, and all references are to that boundary, and other specifics like light and drainage.

So of no relevance to troublesome wall. For that, I'm having to rely on a common sense conclusion that it's not 'my' boundary or wall, and it's next door's issue. Whether they fix it or not is another question for another day . . .
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to RJH on Mon May 1 13:36:56 2023
    On 30/04/2023 10:18, RJH wrote:
    On 30 Apr 2023 at 09:56:23 BST, GB wrote:

It is or was normal conveyancing practice to highlight certain words. The >>>> underlined words are "And Whereas", "Now this Indenture Witnesseth" and "All
    that".

words that to many readers difficult to interpret. Maybe that's it - could >>> only be read reliably by a legal professional?

that are unclear.

These documents were usually written without any punctuation, so this
    emphasised wording was intended to indicate breaks? It does seem to be a
    weird script, though, almost gothic.

Yes, it is. I've now managed to transcribe the entire (1200 word) document. No
    idea what my solicitor's problem with it was.

I sympathise with not taking responsibility for commenting on a document
    where even a few words are hard to decypher.

Also, take the number of hours it took you to transcribe the document,
    multiply by say £250, and add VAT. Would you have been happy to pay that?

The document refers to an arrangement whereby the other side (not the boundary
    in question) sold the land to a new owner of 'my' property in 1925, and all references are to that boundary, and other specifics like light and drainage.

So of no relevance to troublesome wall. For that, I'm having to rely on a common sense conclusion that it's not 'my' boundary or wall, and it's next door's issue. Whether they fix it or not is another question for another day .
    . .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 6 14:38:36 2023
    On 1 May 2023 at 13:36:56 BST, GB wrote:

Yes, it is. I've now managed to transcribe the entire (1200 word) document. No
    idea what my solicitor's problem with it was.

I sympathise with not taking responsibility for commenting on a document where even a few words are hard to decypher.

Yes, I have /some/ sympathy. But he could have been more open and for asked my advice before stating that the document couldn't be read.

Also, take the number of hours it took you to transcribe the document, multiply by say £250, and add VAT. Would you have been happy to pay that?

Most - well over 99% - could have been read by anyone with basic literacy skills. I read it and extracted the essence in about 15 minutes. I'd consider that part of the service. As to the extra hard (for me) to decipher words, I'm not sure what's reasonable.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05