• Re: Golliwogs!

From Vir Campestris@21:1/5 to Spike on Mon Apr 24 21:40:20 2023
    On 19/04/2023 11:23, Spike wrote:
    It rather depends on what you mean by the word ‘vulnerable’. As mentioned,
    the bombers carried no end of electronic devices to protect themselves, and even that was one component of many, such as the bomber stream itself (to overwhelm the defences), ‘dog leg’ routes to the target (to confuse the enemy), spoof raids on other potential targets by handfuls Mosquito
    aircraft ‘windowing’ (dispensing what we now call chaff) to simulate bomber
    streams, and the whole subject of what colour to paint the bombers was a highly technical one (black being quite bad, surprisingly).

However, vital targets such as the Big City (Berlin) had defences that were 60 miles in diameter, had huge numbers of searchlights and flak, and this
    is where the bombers had to fly straight and level for several minutes to settle the bombsight while steering for the specific target - this is where they were at their most vulnerable, prone to flak and fighters while
    visible in the searchlights and the light from the burning city.

If you have any interest in this sort of thing, I commend to you the film Appointment in London, reckoned to be a pretty good representation of life
    in Bomber Command at this sort of time.

Appointment In London [1953]
    https://amzn.eu/d/idPHAst

(Only one copy left!)

My sister-in-law’s eldest brother was a Lancaster rear gunner, killed over Berlin in the very last weeks of the war.

I was in a church in Suffolk the other day which had a single stained
    glass window (the rest plain)

One side was in memory of the father, who had been killed off Uruguay in
    WW2.

The other side was his three sons, all RAFVR.

We will remember them.

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Vir Campestris on Mon Apr 24 22:02:01 2023
    Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    the bombers carried no end of electronic devices to protect themselves, and >> even that was one component of many, such as the bomber stream itself (to
    overwhelm the defences), ‘dog leg’ routes to the target (to confuse the >> enemy), spoof raids on other potential targets by handfuls Mosquito
    streams, and the whole subject of what colour to paint the bombers was a
    highly technical one (black being quite bad, surprisingly).

However, vital targets such as the Big City (Berlin) had defences that were >> 60 miles in diameter, had huge numbers of searchlights and flak, and this
    is where the bombers had to fly straight and level for several minutes to
    settle the bombsight while steering for the specific target - this is where >> they were at their most vulnerable, prone to flak and fighters while

If you have any interest in this sort of thing, I commend to you the film
    Appointment in London, reckoned to be a pretty good representation of life >> in Bomber Command at this sort of time.

(Only one copy left!)

My sister-in-law’s eldest brother was a Lancaster rear gunner, killed over >> Berlin in the very last weeks of the war.

One side was in memory of the father, who had been killed off Uruguay in
    WW2.

We will remember them.

Andy

We moved house when I was 11, and I remember my mum describing (after a ‘getting to know you’ chat) our neighbour across the street. In a reverential tone that I had never heard her use before or since she said “…and he was at /Arnhem/!”.

That meant nothing to me at the time, but during the lockdowns I tried to
    track him down, which proved difficult at first as the personal name he was known by wasn’t his real name - it was only when we turned up a voters list we discovered his real name, and his wife’s first name (she had always been Mrs Surname to me).

It didn’t take long to find out that he was A Coy, 2nd Para Bn, the very
    one of John Frost and Bridge Too Far fame. With only 750 men at the bridge, that made a pretty exclusive club. What a story he had to tell, had I only asked. He passed away in his late 80s, his wife having predeceased him, and they had no children.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian W@21:1/5 to Spike on Tue Apr 25 05:07:57 2023
    On Monday, 24 April 2023 at 23:02:08 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
    Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    the bombers carried no end of electronic devices to protect themselves, and
    even that was one component of many, such as the bomber stream itself (to >> overwhelm the defences), ‘dog leg’ routes to the target (to confuse the
    enemy), spoof raids on other potential targets by handfuls Mosquito
    streams, and the whole subject of what colour to paint the bombers was a >> highly technical one (black being quite bad, surprisingly).

However, vital targets such as the Big City (Berlin) had defences that were
    60 miles in diameter, had huge numbers of searchlights and flak, and this >> is where the bombers had to fly straight and level for several minutes to >> settle the bombsight while steering for the specific target - this is where
    they were at their most vulnerable, prone to flak and fighters while

If you have any interest in this sort of thing, I commend to you the film >> Appointment in London, reckoned to be a pretty good representation of life >> in Bomber Command at this sort of time.

(Only one copy left!)

My sister-in-law’s eldest brother was a Lancaster rear gunner, killed over
    Berlin in the very last weeks of the war.

One side was in memory of the father, who had been killed off Uruguay in WW2.

We will remember them.

Andy
    We moved house when I was 11, and I remember my mum describing (after a ‘getting to know you’ chat) our neighbour across the street. In a reverential tone that I had never heard her use before or since she said “…and he was at /Arnhem/!”.

That meant nothing to me at the time, but during the lockdowns I tried to track him down, which proved difficult at first as the personal name he was known by wasn’t his real name - it was only when we turned up a voters list we discovered his real name, and his wife’s first name (she had always been Mrs Surname to me).

It didn’t take long to find out that he was A Coy, 2nd Para Bn, the very one of John Frost and Bridge Too Far fame. With only 750 men at the bridge, that made a pretty exclusive club. What a story he had to tell, had I only asked. He passed away in his late 80s, his wife having predeceased him, and they had no children.

Teacher at my school was an Arnhem veteran, but I didn't know it at the time, only found out years later: https://www.paradata.org.uk/people/j-leo-hall

When you think how little it takes to make people a celeb nowadays - there were thousands of that generation who had incredible stories, but just went back to normal life and never talked about it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to Brian W on Tue Apr 25 14:51:29 2023
    Brian W <brianwhitehead@hotmail.com> wrote:
    even that was one component of many, such as the bomber stream itself (to >>>> overwhelm the defences), ‘dog leg’ routes to the target (to confuse the
    streams, and the whole subject of what colour to paint the bombers was a >>>> highly technical one (black being quite bad, surprisingly).

60 miles in diameter, had huge numbers of searchlights and flak, and this >>>> is where the bombers had to fly straight and level for several minutes to >>>> settle the bombsight while steering for the specific target - this is where
    they were at their most vulnerable, prone to flak and fighters while

If you have any interest in this sort of thing, I commend to you the film >>>> Appointment in London, reckoned to be a pretty good representation of life >>>> in Bomber Command at this sort of time.

(Only one copy left!)

One side was in memory of the father, who had been killed off Uruguay in >>> WW2.

We will remember them.

Andy
    We moved house when I was 11, and I remember my mum describing (after a
    ‘getting to know you’ chat) our neighbour across the street. In a
    reverential tone that I had never heard her use before or since she said
    “…and he was at /Arnhem/!”.

That meant nothing to me at the time, but during the lockdowns I tried to
    track him down, which proved difficult at first as the personal name he was >> known by wasn’t his real name - it was only when we turned up a voters list
    we discovered his real name, and his wife’s first name (she had always been
    Mrs Surname to me).

It didn’t take long to find out that he was A Coy, 2nd Para Bn, the very >> one of John Frost and Bridge Too Far fame. With only 750 men at the bridge, >> that made a pretty exclusive club. What a story he had to tell, had I only >> asked. He passed away in his late 80s, his wife having predeceased him, and >> they had no children.

Teacher at my school was an Arnhem veteran, but I didn't know it at the
    time, only found out years later: https://www.paradata.org.uk/people/j-leo-hall

Fascinating story, thanks for sharing.

When you think how little it takes to make people a celeb nowadays -
    there were thousands of that generation who had incredible stories, but
    just went back to normal life and never talked about it.

My Art master at school was a Bomb Disposal Officer, I didn’t find out
    until I’d left. Apparently the German bombers occasionally carried a bomb with a special fuse that looked very much like a normal one, but which was linked to another, hidden, fuse that would detonate the device when the
    first one was removed. It was intended to kill the BDO and his team. Unfortunately the first one they dropped had a faulty hidden detonator, and
    it gave the game away.

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Gaines@21:1/5 to Spike on Tue Apr 25 16:23:51 2023
    On 25/04/2023 in message <kaq7nhFq97oU1@mid.individual.net> Spike wrote:

My Art master at school was a Bomb Disposal Officer, I didn’t find out >until I’d left.

That must take some nerve, and a steady hand!

--
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday. (Margaret Thatcher, speech at the White House 17 December 1979)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Todal@21:1/5 to Spike on Wed Apr 26 11:28:17 2023
    On 25/04/2023 15:51, Spike wrote:
    Brian W <brianwhitehead@hotmail.com> wrote:
    even that was one component of many, such as the bomber stream itself (to >>>>> overwhelm the defences), ‘dog leg’ routes to the target (to confuse the
    streams, and the whole subject of what colour to paint the bombers was a >>>>> highly technical one (black being quite bad, surprisingly).

60 miles in diameter, had huge numbers of searchlights and flak, and this >>>>> is where the bombers had to fly straight and level for several minutes to >>>>> settle the bombsight while steering for the specific target - this is where
    they were at their most vulnerable, prone to flak and fighters while >>>>> visible in the searchlights and the light from the burning city.

If you have any interest in this sort of thing, I commend to you the film >>>>> Appointment in London, reckoned to be a pretty good representation of life
    in Bomber Command at this sort of time.

(Only one copy left!)

One side was in memory of the father, who had been killed off Uruguay in >>>> WW2.

We will remember them.

Andy
    We moved house when I was 11, and I remember my mum describing (after a
    ‘getting to know you’ chat) our neighbour across the street. In a
    reverential tone that I had never heard her use before or since she said >>> “…and he was at /Arnhem/!”.

That meant nothing to me at the time, but during the lockdowns I tried to >>> track him down, which proved difficult at first as the personal name he was >>> known by wasn’t his real name - it was only when we turned up a voters list
    we discovered his real name, and his wife’s first name (she had always been
    Mrs Surname to me).

It didn’t take long to find out that he was A Coy, 2nd Para Bn, the very >>> one of John Frost and Bridge Too Far fame. With only 750 men at the bridge, >>> that made a pretty exclusive club. What a story he had to tell, had I only >>> asked. He passed away in his late 80s, his wife having predeceased him, and >>> they had no children.

Teacher at my school was an Arnhem veteran, but I didn't know it at the
    time, only found out years later: https://www.paradata.org.uk/people/j-leo-hall

Fascinating story, thanks for sharing.

When you think how little it takes to make people a celeb nowadays -
    there were thousands of that generation who had incredible stories, but
    just went back to normal life and never talked about it.

My Art master at school was a Bomb Disposal Officer, I didn’t find out until I’d left. Apparently the German bombers occasionally carried a bomb with a special fuse that looked very much like a normal one, but which was linked to another, hidden, fuse that would detonate the device when the
    first one was removed. It was intended to kill the BDO and his team. Unfortunately the first one they dropped had a faulty hidden detonator, and it gave the game away.

One of the best drama serials ever made for TV is "Danger UXB" (starring Anthony Andrews). Has a lot of interesting technical details about the
    bomb fuses and booby traps, and the fuses that were impossible to disarm
    so the team had to drill a hole in the bomb and steam out the explosive instead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spike@21:1/5 to The Todal on Wed Apr 26 12:43:34 2023
    The Todal <the_todal@icloud.com> wrote:

My Art master at school was a Bomb Disposal Officer, I didn’t find out
    until I’d left. Apparently the German bombers occasionally carried a bomb >> with a special fuse that looked very much like a normal one, but which was >> linked to another, hidden, fuse that would detonate the device when the
    first one was removed. It was intended to kill the BDO and his team.
    Unfortunately the first one they dropped had a faulty hidden detonator, and >> it gave the game away.

One of the best drama serials ever made for TV is "Danger UXB" (starring Anthony Andrews). Has a lot of interesting technical details about the
    so the team had to drill a hole in the bomb and steam out the explosive instead.

Due to pressures of life, the universe, and everything, I didn’t get to
    see the series although I knew “Danger UXB” was being broadcast. I’ve now ordered the box set, and look forward to enjoying it. Thanks!

--
    Spike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Spike on Wed Apr 26 14:24:58 2023
    On 26/04/2023 01:43 pm, Spike wrote:

My Art master at school was a Bomb Disposal Officer, I didn’t find out >>> until I’d left. Apparently the German bombers occasionally carried a bomb >>> with a special fuse that looked very much like a normal one, but which was >>> linked to another, hidden, fuse that would detonate the device when the
    Unfortunately the first one they dropped had a faulty hidden detonator, and >>> it gave the game away.

One of the best drama serials ever made for TV is "Danger UXB" (starring
    Anthony Andrews). Has a lot of interesting technical details about the
    so the team had to drill a hole in the bomb and steam out the explosive
    instead.

Due to pressures of life, the universe, and everything, I didn’t get to see the series although I knew “Danger UXB” was being broadcast. I’ve now
    ordered the box set, and look forward to enjoying it. Thanks!

The series was played out (twice, I think), a year or two back on
    Talking Pictures TV.

I must have missed its first network showing, but remember that Granada repeated it in an afternoon slot, circa 1980.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Les. Hayward@21:1/5 to Spike on Wed Apr 26 15:35:07 2023
    On 26/04/2023 13:43, Spike wrote:

My Art master at school was a Bomb Disposal Officer, I didn’t find out >>> until I’d left. Apparently the German bombers occasionally carried a bomb >>> with a special fuse that looked very much like a normal one, but which was >>> linked to another, hidden, fuse that would detonate the device when the
    Unfortunately the first one they dropped had a faulty hidden detonator, and >>> it gave the game away.

One of the best drama serials ever made for TV is "Danger UXB" (starring
    Anthony Andrews). Has a lot of interesting technical details about the
    so the team had to drill a hole in the bomb and steam out the explosive
    instead.

Due to pressures of life, the universe, and everything, I didn’t get to see the series although I knew “Danger UXB” was being broadcast. I’ve now
    ordered the box set, and look forward to enjoying it. Thanks!

There is a book "Danger UXB" by M.J. Jappy, which refers to the series
    and very informative in it's own right.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fredxx@21:1/5 to Stuart O. Bronstein on Wed May 3 19:58:40 2023
    On 15/04/2023 17:27, Stuart O. Bronstein wrote:
    Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
    Jon Ribbens wrote:
    Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
    The Todal wrote:

I really don't think there is a hatred of "anyone with white
    skin".

Hatred is shown by some. If I say "All lives matter" I am called
    a racist

How weird - you say a racist slogan and you get called a racist.
    A completely unexpected and inexplicable turn of events.

where by implication only black lives matter.

That's entirely false.

What about, "White lives matter"?

What "Black Lives Matter" really means is, black lives [should] matter
    too. White lives already matter, so it doesn't need to be said. When
    it is said the purpose clearly is to denigrate "black lives matter."

As they say, “When you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

Then why wasn't this a racial attack?

https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2020/07/23/jessica-doty-whitaker-what-we-know-shooting-along-canal/5486333002/

Or don't all lives matter as much as black lives?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to Fredxx on Wed May 3 22:09:02 2023
    On 3 May 2023 at 19:58:40 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

Jon Ribbens wrote:
    The Todal wrote:

skin".

a racist

That's entirely false.

As they say, “When you are used to privilege, equality feels like
    oppression.”

https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2020/07/23/jessica-doty-whitaker-what-we-know-shooting-along-canal/5486333002/

From the report, it might welll have been. OTOH Americans are always randomly shooting each other and they don't know who did this shooting. Has anyone said that it wasn't a racial attack? Does it prove anything important, except that some anti-BLM group has taken up the case. Not that anyone at all, AFAICS.
    has said anything about this lady's life not mattering.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jack Harry Teesdale@21:1/5 to Max Demian on Thu May 4 11:35:21 2023
    On 12/04/2023 11:10, Max Demian wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/11/essex-pub-landlady-benice-ryley-replaces-golliwog-doll-collection-that-was-seized-by-police

When it goes to court, I expect they'll wheel David Olusoga in to say
    how evil they are. Landlady will be gaoled.

Reports are emerging that the Essex pub is closing due to 'pressure'
    from beer suppliers. i.e they are allegedly being forced out of business.

Perhaps time for a micro brewery on site?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to Fredxx on Thu May 4 12:07:27 2023
    On 4 May 2023 at 12:08:39 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

On 03/05/2023 23:09, Roger Hayter wrote:

Jon Ribbens wrote:
    The Todal wrote:

skin".

Hatred is shown by some. If I say "All lives matter" I am called >>>>>>> a racist

That's entirely false.

What "Black Lives Matter" really means is, black lives [should] matter >>>> too. White lives already matter, so it doesn't need to be said. When >>>> it is said the purpose clearly is to denigrate "black lives matter."

oppression.”

From the report, it might welll have been. OTOH Americans are always randomly
    shooting each other and they don't know who did this shooting. Has anyone said
    that it wasn't a racial attack? Does it prove anything important, except that
    some anti-BLM group has taken up the case. Not that anyone at all, AFAICS. >> has said anything about this lady's life not mattering.

It was not classed as a racist attack. It was a reason given why the BBC minimised coverage on the death.

By whom was it not classed as a racist attack? Was that partly because they
    had no idea who did it and why? If they found it was the black group that they suspected who did it, then they might be able to classify it? And why should the BBC give *any* coverage to American domestic news anyway?

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fredxx@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Thu May 4 12:08:39 2023

Jon Ribbens wrote:
    The Todal wrote:

skin".

a racist

That's entirely false.

oppression.”

that it wasn't a racial attack? Does it prove anything important, except that some anti-BLM group has taken up the case. Not that anyone at all, AFAICS. has said anything about this lady's life not mattering.

It was not classed as a racist attack. It was a reason given why the BBC minimised coverage on the death.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to Jack Harry Teesdale on Thu May 4 16:11:40 2023
    On 04/05/2023 11:35, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/11/essex-pub-landlady-benice-ryley-replaces-golliwog-doll-collection-that-was-seized-by-police

Time for someone with a higher IQ to take over the pub?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tikli Chestikov@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 4 08:32:53 2023
    On Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 16:12:53 UTC+1, GB wrote:

By definition, if it's racist to equate black people with golliwogs, it can only be because anti-racists think that black people resemble golliwogs.

But they'll never say so which says a great deal about them.

Do *you* think a golliwog resembles a black person?

Think carefully before you answer; say yes and you're a racist, say no and your argument falls apart.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fredxx@21:1/5 to Jack Harry Teesdale on Thu May 4 12:49:56 2023
    On 04/05/2023 11:35, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:

An article suggests they were tenants and the owners were reopening
    under new management.

https://news.sky.com/story/essex-pub-that-had-golliwog-dolls-seized-by-police-shuts-its-doors-12872315

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stuart O. Bronstein@21:1/5 to Fredxx on Thu May 4 15:35:32 2023
    Stuart O. Bronstein wrote:
    Jon Ribbens wrote:
    The Todal wrote:

skin".

Hatred is shown by some. If I say "All lives matter" I am
    called a racist

How weird - you say a racist slogan and you get called a
    racist. A completely unexpected and inexplicable turn of
    events.

That's entirely false.

What "Black Lives Matter" really means is, black lives [should]
    matter too. White lives already matter, so it doesn't need to be
    said. When it is said the purpose clearly is to denigrate "black
    lives matter."

As they say, “When you are used to privilege, equality feels
    like oppression.”

https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2020/07/23/jessica-doty-wh itaker-what-we-know-shooting-along-canal/5486333002/

If you actually read the article, there is no evidence disclosed as
    to whether this was or was not a racial attack.

That statement is so offensive that it doesn't deserve a response.

--
    Stu
    http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fredxx@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Thu May 4 13:25:52 2023
    On 04/05/2023 13:07, Roger Hayter wrote:
    On 4 May 2023 at 12:08:39 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

Jon Ribbens wrote:
    The Todal wrote:

I really don't think there is a hatred of "anyone with white >>>>>>>>> skin".

Hatred is shown by some. If I say "All lives matter" I am called >>>>>>>> a racist

How weird - you say a racist slogan and you get called a racist. >>>>>>> A completely unexpected and inexplicable turn of events.

That's entirely false.

What "Black Lives Matter" really means is, black lives [should] matter >>>>> too. White lives already matter, so it doesn't need to be said. When >>>>> it is said the purpose clearly is to denigrate "black lives matter." >>>>>
    oppression.”

that it wasn't a racial attack? Does it prove anything important, except that
    some anti-BLM group has taken up the case. Not that anyone at all, AFAICS. >>> has said anything about this lady's life not mattering.

It was not classed as a racist attack. It was a reason given why the BBC
    minimised coverage on the death.

By whom was it not classed as a racist attack? Was that partly because they had no idea who did it and why? If they found it was the black group that they
    suspected who did it, then they might be able to classify it?

The US authorities if I recall.

And why should
    the BBC give *any* coverage to American domestic news anyway?

Quite, why any BBC article should dare to mention George Floyd.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to Tikli Chestikov on Thu May 4 16:25:33 2023
    On 2023-05-04, Tikli Chestikov <tikli.chestikov@gmail.com> wrote:

By definition, if it's racist to equate black people with golliwogs,
    it can only be because anti-racists think that black people resemble golliwogs.

Or because anti-racists think that golliwogs were created to resemble
    a caricature of black people. And they think that because it's true.

https://archive.is/FfFla (The Times)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to Stuart O. Bronstein on Thu May 4 17:54:17 2023
    On 04/05/2023 16:35, Stuart O. Bronstein wrote:

There's a cultural difference here.

There are so few people killed by police in the UK that it's not
    ENTIRELY obvious whether black people are more likely to be killed.

For example, in 2020/21 there were 11 deaths in or following police
    custody. The black population is only 3%, so the expected number of
    black deaths is only 0.2 each year. So, what is the conclusion if say 1
    black person is killed? Black people are five times as likely to be
    killed? Or, it will take 10+ years to get statistically significantly significant figures? And, which of those will catch the headlines?

Suppose that one year, by some miracle, no black people get killed by
    the police, it would be easy to suggest that blacks are being treated
    too favourably.

The real point is that nobody should be allowed to comment on this
    unless they are qualified in statistics. I am, btw. :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to Tikli Chestikov on Thu May 4 18:07:48 2023
    On 04/05/2023 16:32, Tikli Chestikov wrote:

By definition, if it's racist to equate black people with golliwogs, it can only be because anti-racists think that black people resemble golliwogs.

Stop there. It's an effigy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to The Todal on Thu May 4 18:24:06 2023
    On 22:15 17 Apr 2023, The Todal said:

On 17/04/2023 17:35, Stuart O. Bronstein wrote:
    JNugent wrote:

A year or two back, I was in an internet discussion on arrest
    procedures which also involved some Americans. I have no way of
    knowing what race(s) they were and don't try to second guess
    that. When resisting arrest was raised as an issue, I voiced my
    opinion, which was (and still is) that anyone being arrested
    should "go quietly" and certainly not resist arrest by physical
    means.

The reaction was unexpected (by me at any rate). The belief was
    that if faced with being arrested on suspicion of a crime, they
    had a *right* to resist arrest and try to escape, by violent
    means.

Are you seriously suggesting that if someone runs away from a
    police officer that should give the officer the right to shoot him
    and possibly kill him?

For all I know, that might be the law, or the culture, in the USA.
    It certainly isn't in Britain. Our officers will pursue suspects
    on foot or by car and if necessary apply reasonable force when
    arresting them. Unless they are suspected of using guns, the
    suspects will not be shot at.

It's not the law in the USA either. Police (or anyone else) are not
    allowed to shoot a gun at someone unless lives are in imminent
    danger. Justifications for shootings often involve, "it looked like
    he was reaching for a weapon."

The Grand Juries seem to give officers the benefit of the doubt - as
    in the case of Jayland Walker. Perhaps the more officers fire their
    weapons, the more plausible the story that they saw the victim as a
    threat. An alternative theory would be that they are trigger happy
    and follow their leader.

A grand jury in Ohio has decided not to charge police officers in the
    death of Jayland Walker, a 25-year-old Black man who was shot dozens
    of times by the police after an attempted traffic stop and chase last
    summer in Akron, Ohio, the state’s attorney general said on Monday.

Mr. Walker, a 25-year-old Black man, was shot dozens of times after
    an attempted traffic stop and chase in Akron, Ohio, last year.

Mr. Walker died on June 27, 2022, after the Akron police tried to
    stop his car. When Mr. Walker did not pull over, video released by
    the police showed, officers chased him, first in vehicles and then on
    foot. Officers said that they thought Mr. Walker had fired a weapon
    from his car and that they feared he would fire again, prompting them
    to shoot him.

Attorney General Dave Yost of Ohio said on Monday that Mr. Walker had
    fired at least once at the police from his car. But Mr. Walker was
    unarmed when the police fatally shot him while he was on foot. Eight
    Akron police officers fired 94 shots at Mr. Walker, and he sustained
    46 gunshot wounds, the attorney general’s office said.

Mr. Yost said that Mr. Walker had ignored commands to show his hands
    and stop.

[A gun was subsequently found in his car. But we are expected to
    believe that he positioned himself as if about to fire at officers
    when he did not have a gun in his hand]

In this case, Walker refused to stop his car and led the police on a
    chase during which he fired at them. When his car was eventually forced
    to stop, he donned a mask to disguise his identity and ran towards them
    in a threatening manner. The police officers believed he was an armed
    man about to attack them and they shot him. A grand jury determined
    there was no evidence for a case against the police officers.

The number of police officers and the large number of rounds used to
    stop him made this case headline news but they are not strictly
    relevant, other than to underline how eight police officers each
    thought Walker was a deadly threat and acted accordingly.

The question one asks is, why didn't Walker stop when asked by the
    police? Perhaps an answer emerges from the fact his fiance had died a
    month earlier and he subseuqently Googled "quickest way to die". A week
    before the incident he bought a gun. The night before he was shot, he
    led the police on another car chase but was not stopped. The next night
    he was stopped and shot dead. I believe this is called "suicide by
    cop".

Sadly, black racists have used this incident to promote their political objectives.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 4 18:31:38 2023
    On 17:54 4 May 2023, GB said:

killed? Or, it will take 10+ years to get statistically significantly significant figures? And, which of those will catch the headlines?

too favourably.

It's the same with Stop and Search. Blacks in the UK are eight times
    more likely to be stopped by the police.

Instead of interpreting this as blacks being eight times more likely to
    be carrying weapons or substances which warrant Stop and Search,
    political activists have reversed the causality in this situation and
    instead claim blacks are picked on eight times more than whites.

Someone qualified in statistics(!) would note that the proportion of
    stops which found something that led to further police action is the
    same in stops of blacks as if whites, which demonstrates even
    handedness by the police.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid on Thu May 4 18:03:39 2023
    On 4 May 2023 at 17:54:17 BST, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

too favourably.

Try using more data:

The IOPC’s 2019/2020 Report shows that 23% of total deaths in or following police custody between 2015 and 2020 (i.e. 20 of 86 deaths) were people of BME background.

(Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC))

https://irr.org.uk/research/statistics/bme-deaths-in-custody-2014-2022/

Not perhaps as uncertain statistically as you suggest? Unless you are trained to select years that illustrate the statistical point you want to make.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 4 18:14:08 2023
    On 4 May 2023 at 16:32:53 BST, "Tikli Chestikov" <tikli.chestikov@gmail.com> wrote:

Think carefully before you answer; say yes and you're a racist, say no and your argument falls apart.

The doll is a parody of black "minstrels". Used to be called "N****r Minstrels" who did humorous or bathetic singing and clowned around to amuse
    the audience. Whether the parody is sufficiently recognisable as a parody nowadays should be your question.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Thu May 4 18:19:16 2023
    On 4 May 2023 at 19:03:39 BST, "Roger Hayter" <roger@hayter.org> wrote:

On 4 May 2023 at 17:54:17 BST, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

killed? Or, it will take 10+ years to get statistically significantly
    significant figures? And, which of those will catch the headlines?

too favourably.

Try using more data:

The IOPC’s 2019/2020 Report shows that 23% of total deaths in or following police custody between 2015 and 2020 (i.e. 20 of 86 deaths) were people of BME
    background.

https://irr.org.uk/research/statistics/bme-deaths-in-custody-2014-2022/

Not perhaps as uncertain statistically as you suggest? Unless you are trained to select years that illustrate the statistical point you want to make.

Perhaps I am being unfair and you got your figures from a biassed (Tory or white supremacist?) source that chose that year's figures because they illustrated a point they wanted to make. Then as a statistics expert you
    really should have wondered why they chose such a small and arbitrary sample.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Thu May 4 19:32:56 2023
    On 04/05/2023 07:14 pm, Roger Hayter wrote:
    On 4 May 2023 at 16:32:53 BST, "Tikli Chestikov" <tikli.chestikov@gmail.com> wrote:

By definition, if it's racist to equate black people with golliwogs, it can >> only be because anti-racists think that black people resemble golliwogs.

Think carefully before you answer; say yes and you're a racist, say no and >> your argument falls apart.

The doll is a parody of black "minstrels". Used to be called "N****r Minstrels" who did humorous or bathetic singing and clowned around to amuse the audience. Whether the parody is sufficiently recognisable as a parody nowadays should be your question.

Oh... citation, please!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to JNugent on Thu May 4 22:47:09 2023
    On 4 May 2023 at 19:32:56 BST, "JNugent" <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:

snip

The doll is a parody of black "minstrels". Used to be called "N****r
    Minstrels" who did humorous or bathetic singing and clowned around to amuse >> the audience. Whether the parody is sufficiently recognisable as a parody
    nowadays should be your question.

Oh... citation, please!

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/golliwog/homepage.htm

Read carefully and you will see that the minstrel parody dolls existed in America before the golliwog author wrote her book. Indeed she had one as a child.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Fri May 5 11:28:55 2023
    On 19:03 4 May 2023, Roger Hayter said:
    On 4 May 2023 at 17:54:17 "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

black deaths is only 0.2 each year. So, what is the conclusion if
    say 1 black person is killed? Black people are five times as likely
    to be killed? Or, it will take 10+ years to get statistically
    significantly significant figures? And, which of those will catch
    the headlines?

Suppose that one year, by some miracle, no black people get killed
    by the police, it would be easy to suggest that blacks are being
    treated too favourably.

Try using more data:

The IOPC's 2019/2020 Report shows that 23% of total deaths in or
    following police custody between 2015 and 2020 (i.e. 20 of 86 deaths)
    were people of BME background.

https://irr.org.uk/research/statistics/bme-deaths-in-custody-
    2014-2022/

You have not quoted the IOPC figures. Your data is from a black lobby
    group which has restated the official IOPC figures in their own way
    because they disagree with the original ones. For instance, they mix
    togther black with Asian to get "BME".

The I.R.R. has stated it's aim is to "concentrate on responding to the
    needs of Black people and making direct analyses of institutionalised
    racism in Britain". Their term "institutional racism" is taken direct
    from Black Power political liberation.

Below are the actual IOPC figures for the last three years, which you
    may wish to compare.

----------

2019-2020 deaths in custody / suicides following custody / other deaths

White 14 / 48 / 89
    Black 3 / 3 / 6
    Asian 0 / 1 / 7

<https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/statist ics/deaths_during_following_police_contact_201920.pdf>

----------

2020-2021 deaths in custody / suicides following custody / other deaths

White 17 / 50 / 74
    Black 2 / 2 / 10
    Asian 0 / 0 / 4

<https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/statist ics/deaths_during_following_police_contact_202021.pdf>

----------

2021-2022 deaths in custody / suicides following custody / other deaths

White 10 / 52 / 92
    Black 1 / 1 / 6
    Asian 0 / 1 / 5

<https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/deaths-during-or-following-police- contact-statistics-england-and-wales-202122#Table-A4>

----------

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to Stuart O. Bronstein on Fri May 5 16:39:20 2023
    On 17:28 17 Apr 2023, Stuart O. Bronstein said:

In the US, until Trump, racism was mostly hidden and
    unacknowledged, though it was definitely there. With Trump came
    the feeling that being proudly and explicitly racist became
    acceptable in those circles.

You mean "unconscious racism" and its ilk? "We know what you're
    thinking better than you do." That makes the question unanswerable
    in the same way as, "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

If you mean to say that unconscious racism doesn't exist and/or can't
    be detected and studied, you are just wrong.

But no, I wasn't talking about unconscious racism. I was talking about racism that is quite explicit, but might be justified by saying, "I'm
    not racist - black people really aren't as smart and are more likely to commit crimes."

Your last two statements are racist only by using the recent
    re-definition of "racism", which requires nothing more than an
    observation about the difference between races.

Decades before race activists created this new definition, "racism"
    meant racial discrimination in the form of an action which unfairly disadvantaged blacks. By contrast today, thinking certain "unpure"
    thoughts is sufficient to be racist ... or not actually thinking the
    thoughts but being told you harbour them (you termed this "unconscious racism").

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Fri May 5 17:11:42 2023

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/11/essex-pub-landlady-beni
    ce-ryley-replaces-golliwog-doll-collection-that-was-seized-by-police

When it goes to court, I expect they'll wheel David Olusoga in to
    say how evil they are. Landlady will be gaoled.

from beer suppliers. i.e they are allegedly being forced out of
    business.

Ob-ULM....

Has the breweries' refusal to supply beer breached their supply
    contracts with the landlord? I believe these contracts normally run for
    a year.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Ribbens@21:1/5 to Pamela on Fri May 5 17:04:41 2023
    On 2023-05-05, Pamela <uklm@permabulator.33mail.com> wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/11/essex-pub-landlady-beni
    ce-ryley-replaces-golliwog-doll-collection-that-was-seized-by-police

from beer suppliers. i.e they are allegedly being forced out of
    business.

Ob-ULM....

contracts with the landlord? I believe these contracts normally run for
    a year.

Given the extent to which beverge brands try to promote themselves
    in pubs and bars these days (e.g. branded glasses) I would be quite
    surprised if they hadn't thought to include clauses giving them the
    opportunity to pull out if they feel their brand is being damaged.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Roger Hayter on Fri May 5 20:41:57 2023
    On 04/05/2023 11:47 pm, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

The doll is a parody of black "minstrels". Used to be called "N****r
    Minstrels" who did humorous or bathetic singing and clowned around to amuse >>> the audience. Whether the parody is sufficiently recognisable as a parody >>> nowadays should be your question.

Oh... citation, please!

Read carefully and you will see that the minstrel parody dolls existed in America before the golliwog author wrote her book. Indeed she had one as a child.

QUOTE:
    The Golliwogg was based on a Black minstrel doll that Upton had played
    with as a small child in New York. The then-nameless "Negro minstrel doll" ENDQUOTE

Nothing about a parody. Nothing, in fact, about anything pejorative.

Any other cites?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to JNugent on Fri May 5 22:17:54 2023
    On 5 May 2023 at 20:41:57 BST, "JNugent" <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:

On 04/05/2023 11:47 pm, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

The doll is a parody of black "minstrels". Used to be called "N****r >>>> Minstrels" who did humorous or bathetic singing and clowned around to amuse
    the audience. Whether the parody is sufficiently recognisable as a parody >>>> nowadays should be your question.

Oh... citation, please!

Read carefully and you will see that the minstrel parody dolls existed in
    America before the golliwog author wrote her book. Indeed she had one as a >> child.

QUOTE:
    The Golliwogg was based on a Black minstrel doll that Upton had played
    with as a small child in New York. The then-nameless "Negro minstrel doll" ENDQUOTE

Nothing about a parody. Nothing, in fact, about anything pejorative.

Any other cites?

Just look at the fucking thing! And at some photos of minstrel bands if you can find any. And just a side note, in the Upton books apparently the
    Golliwogg was often drawn with paws instead of hands. Perhaps modern golliwogs don't have such wide grins, thick lips and wide open mouths as the original ones did, but I really think it hard to believe it could occur to anyone that it was not an offensive representation.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ian Jackson@21:1/5 to uklm@permabulator.33mail.com on Sat May 6 08:11:01 2023
    In message <XnsAFFBA96E05B0891F3A2@135.181.20.170>, Pamela <uklm@permabulator.33mail.com> writes
    On 17:28 17 Apr 2023, Stuart O. Bronstein said:

In the US, until Trump, racism was mostly hidden and
    unacknowledged, though it was definitely there. With Trump came
    the feeling that being proudly and explicitly racist became
    acceptable in those circles.

You mean "unconscious racism" and its ilk? "We know what you're
    thinking better than you do." That makes the question unanswerable
    in the same way as, "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

If you mean to say that unconscious racism doesn't exist and/or can't
    be detected and studied, you are just wrong.

But no, I wasn't talking about unconscious racism. I was talking about
    racism that is quite explicit, but might be justified by saying, "I'm
    not racist - black people really aren't as smart and are more likely to
    commit crimes."

Your last two statements are racist only by using the recent
    re-definition of "racism", which requires nothing more than an
    observation about the difference between races.

Decades before race activists created this new definition, "racism"
    meant racial discrimination in the form of an action which unfairly >disadvantaged blacks. By contrast today, thinking certain "unpure"
    thoughts is sufficient to be racist ... or not actually thinking the
    thoughts but being told you harbour them (you termed this "unconscious >racism").

This is exactly what Diane Abbott has been 'guilty' of. She has said
    absolutely nothing derogatory about the Jews. All she has done has to distinguish between a race we call 'Negroes' and the race we call
    'Jews', and say that one group has suffered more than the other. This
    may be ignorance (or unwise), but it's hardly racism.
    --
    Ian
    Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela@21:1/5 to Jon Ribbens on Sat May 6 09:50:10 2023
    On 18:04 5 May 2023, Jon Ribbens said:

On 2023-05-05, Pamela <uklm@permabulator.33mail.com> wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/11/essex-pub-landlady-be
    ni
    ce-ryley-replaces-golliwog-doll-collection-that-was-seized-by-polic
    e

Reports are emerging that the Essex pub is closing due to
    'pressure' from beer suppliers. i.e they are allegedly being forced
    out of business.

Ob-ULM....

contracts with the landlord? I believe these contracts normally run
    for a year.

Given the extent to which beverge brands try to promote themselves
    in pubs and bars these days (e.g. branded glasses) I would be quite
    surprised if they hadn't thought to include clauses giving them the opportunity to pull out if they feel their brand is being damaged.

A brewery might well feel it could miminise financial loss by
    terminating supply but the tied pub contract I looked at requires 9
    months notice by the brewery.

The particular contract here may contain provisions for early
    termination but the police haven't finished their investigation, so it
    seems premature for the brewery to claim there has been good cause.

I suspect it may not be worth the landlord's fight to take up his rights

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05