• Re: A pay rise of 16% for public servants

From Roland Perry@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 4 09:52:28 2023
    In message <citm1ih0gofsc1fqd97vdogefsvdvf3bvv@4ax.com>, at 22:08:25 on
    Wed, 22 Mar 2023, Owen Rees <orees@hotmail.com> remarked:

the more senior you are the darker the uniform. There can be
    up to around ten grades involved in any particular hospital. Few >>>>>>>>of them are actually called "Sister" any more, even if the role >>>>>>>>is similar (almost entirely paperwork).

The paperwork that senior nurses do is not the sort of paperwork that >>>>>>> most people would think of when you use the term 'paperwork'.

It's very much a "human resources" and "facilities management" role, >>>>>> which are what we used to call "paperwork", before it mainly went onto >>>>>> computer screens.

That description is not consistent with my personal observations of
    those carying out the role as well as what I have heard from senior
    nurses.

Then we must disagree. It's very much what the "Sister" (or local >>>>replacement job title) does. Or are we talking about different grades
    of nurse?

I would have thought that Sister, in charge of the ward, would indeed
    do some admin, but my observation last year was they were also "on the >>>ward" dealing with and taking to patients, though maybe not as much.

OK, so you are talking about a different [lower] grade. A "Sister"
    having that little territory to manage is not something which happens in >>most hospitals today.

I just looked up the website for the hospital where I observed the staff
    in action. Specifically Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital ward C2

https://www.hampshirehospitals.nhs.uk/our-services/az-departments-and-specialties/c2

They list both a "Clinical Matron" and a "Sister/Charge nurse" for the
    ward.

If you look at the other wards, they also list a "Clinical Matron" and a >"Sister/Charge nurse", in some cases more than one.

I noticed that in some cases some wards on the same floor have the same >"Clinical Matron" but the scope of that role seems to be up to three
    wards.

The "Sister/Charge nurse" seems to be responsible for at most one ward.

I did not get the impression that the hospital was unusual beyond having
    one ward that is one of two national centres for a particular
    speciality.

What you write is consistent with my earlier comments, which is that the
    job description is probably "Charge Nurse", and they've added "Sister"
    because that's something the public would be more familiar with.

Rather than the other way round.
    --
    Roland Perry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Owen Rees@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 00:30:05 2023
    On Thu, 4 May 2023 09:52:28 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
    wrote in <1uSslqYMJ3UkFAu1@perry.uk>:

In message <citm1ih0gofsc1fqd97vdogefsvdvf3bvv@4ax.com>, at 22:08:25 on
    Wed, 22 Mar 2023, Owen Rees <orees@hotmail.com> remarked:

the more senior you are the darker the uniform. There can be >>>>>>>>>up to around ten grades involved in any particular hospital. Few >>>>>>>>>of them are actually called "Sister" any more, even if the role >>>>>>>>>is similar (almost entirely paperwork).

The paperwork that senior nurses do is not the sort of paperwork that >>>>>>>> most people would think of when you use the term 'paperwork'.

It's very much a "human resources" and "facilities management" role, >>>>>>> which are what we used to call "paperwork", before it mainly went onto >>>>>>> computer screens.

That description is not consistent with my personal observations of >>>>>> those carying out the role as well as what I have heard from senior >>>>>> nurses.

Then we must disagree. It's very much what the "Sister" (or local >>>>>replacement job title) does. Or are we talking about different grades >>>>> of nurse?

I would have thought that Sister, in charge of the ward, would indeed >>>>do some admin, but my observation last year was they were also "on the >>>>ward" dealing with and taking to patients, though maybe not as much.

OK, so you are talking about a different [lower] grade. A "Sister"
    having that little territory to manage is not something which happens in >>>most hospitals today.

I just looked up the website for the hospital where I observed the staff
    in action. Specifically Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital ward C2
    https://www.hampshirehospitals.nhs.uk/our-services/az-departments-and-specialties/c2

They list both a "Clinical Matron" and a "Sister/Charge nurse" for the >>ward.

If you look at the other wards, they also list a "Clinical Matron" and a >>"Sister/Charge nurse", in some cases more than one.

I noticed that in some cases some wards on the same floor have the same >>"Clinical Matron" but the scope of that role seems to be up to three
    wards.

The "Sister/Charge nurse" seems to be responsible for at most one ward.

I did not get the impression that the hospital was unusual beyond having >>one ward that is one of two national centres for a particular
    speciality.

What you write is consistent with my earlier comments, which is that the
    job description is probably "Charge Nurse", and they've added "Sister" >because that's something the public would be more familiar with.

I do not agree that what I wrote is consistent with your earlier
    comments. I gave a link to a hospital web site that gives a good
    indication of the scope of the roles associated with various job titles.
    That seems to me to be what you said "is not something which happens in
    most hospitals today" but you have not given even one example of a
    hospital where the job title and scope of the role matches your
    description.

Rather than the other way round.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)