• Solar Panels . . .

From RJH@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 27 20:29:20 2024
    I'm due to have a new roof in the next month or so, and the roofer has told me he can install some solar panels 'while he's up there'. I'd imagine there'd be an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

My question is - would it be worth me buying the 8 panels (about £1000 https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and getting the connection sorted out later?

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing the panels than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the partial destruction of a friend's roof.

--
    Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Animal on Sat Jan 27 21:31:21 2024
    On 27 Jan 2024 at 20:48:34 GMT, Animal wrote:

On Saturday 27 January 2024 at 20:29:24 UTC, RJH wrote:
    I'm due to have a new roof in the next month or so, and the roofer has told me
    he can install some solar panels 'while he's up there'. I'd imagine there'd be
    an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump >> installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

My question is - would it be worth me buying the 8 panels (about £1000
    https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and
    getting the connection sorted out later?

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing the panels
    than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the partial
    destruction of a friend's roof.

Solar pv now makes sense if you can get it all done cheaply, and have a way to
    use the power. Can you?

Well, it might be reasonably cheap - I'm thinking <£5000 for 8 reasonably located panels and storage. Based very loosely on http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Solar_PV_example:_single_garage - but unless it's not obvious, I'm fairly clueless about the whole thing.

The financial return isn't a huge consideration if I can get it installed for that sort of figure.

I could certainly use the power (when less is available, of course) in the winter. But not so much in the summer. So I'd need to look into a FiT for a decent financial return. An electric car is on my horizon, but not for a
    while.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Jan 27 21:45:05 2024
    In article <up3p30$3h9ec$1@dont-email.me>,
    RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
    I'm due to have a new roof in the next month or so, and the roofer has
    told me he can install some solar panels 'while he's up there'. I'd
    imagine there'd be an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably
    less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

My question is - would it be worth me buying the 8 panels (about £1000 https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and getting the connection sorted out later?

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing the panels than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the
    partial destruction of a friend's roof.

I suggest that it depends on the quality of the panels and the company
    doing the work. the company I used had good people working on the roof.

Also, if you had a complete installation done you wouldn't pay VAT, butif
    your roofing man just puts up panels then you could end up paying VAT on
    them. His price for panels seems quite cheap. I had a system installed 4
    months ago, and 8 panels would have worked out at £6700. Mind you that
    price probably includes installation and wiring.

Just looking at the spec for my panels, they are wired up from the back, so they'd need to be taken off to wire them up.

--
    from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²
    "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Jan 27 21:56:30 2024
    On 27/01/2024 21:31, RJH wrote:

an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump >>> installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and >>> getting the connection sorted out later?

use the power. Can you?

Well, it might be reasonably cheap - I'm thinking <£5000 for 8 reasonably located panels and storage. Based very loosely on http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Solar_PV_example:_single_garage - but unless it's not obvious, I'm fairly clueless about the whole thing.

The financial return isn't a huge consideration if I can get it installed for that sort of figure.

I could certainly use the power (when less is available, of course) in the winter. But not so much in the summer. So I'd need to look into a FiT for a decent financial return. An electric car is on my horizon, but not for a while.

Updated 9th Jan 2024 https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

--
    mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Jan 27 22:44:18 2024

an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump >>> installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and >>> getting the connection sorted out later?

use the power. Can you?

I could certainly use the power (when less is available, of course) in the winter. But not so much in the summer. So I'd need to look into a FiT for a decent financial return. An electric car is on my horizon, but not for a while.

FIT is gone. Been replaced by other export tariffs.

Tim

--
    Please don't feed the trolls

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Natural Philosopher@21:1/5 to RJH on Sun Jan 28 10:19:45 2024
    Bless!

*shakes head in sheer wonderment*
    --
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
    wrong.

H.L.Mencken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Natural Philosopher@21:1/5 to RJH on Sun Jan 28 10:18:53 2024
    On 27/01/2024 20:29, RJH wrote:
    an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the partial destruction of a friend's roof.

You would get more return right now installing an oil boiler and oil
    tank and filling it up.

And wouldn't be making money out of other electricity consumers

--
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
    wrong.

H.L.Mencken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David@21:1/5 to RJH on Sun Jan 28 13:32:43 2024
    On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 20:29:20 +0000, RJH wrote:

less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a
    6kW battery).

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing the panels than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the

It used to be that the inverter cost quite a bit, plus the gubbins to
    safely feed into the grid.

This can significantly increase the installation cost.

Cheers

Dave R

--
    AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ajh@21:1/5 to RJH on Sun Jan 28 16:52:05 2024
    an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the partial destruction of a friend's roof.

I would but have you an electrician to connect the lot up? The DNO must
    be notified prior to connection to the grid but they will require a
    qualified electrician (not necessarily MCS certified) and they are bound
    to allow you 3.68kW connected. More than that and you have to get
    agreement in advance of connection but it is worth having more than 4kW
    of panels if they can fit and faces anywhere from East to Wet facing.

Unless you use less than 3MWh of electricity a year that battery is
    probably too small. Last March we fitted 6kW PV, a 5kW inverter, a car
    charger and 10kWh of storage to my daughter's roof, she has not needed
    to buy electricity other than off peak at 11p/kWh since and then only
    November to now. Since then panel prices have dropped.

As scaffolding is a fair chunk of the installation cost it will probably
    be worth absorbing the VAT on the panels but your roofer could do this
    bit as a sub contract to the electrician then the electrician would not
    charge VAT on the whole installation.

If the DNO is happy with the installation then at least one energy
    company will pay you for the excess power you export, the rate is high currently (8-15p/kWh) but I don't think that will last as wholesale
    electricity prices fall over the coming months.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Gabriel@21:1/5 to RJH on Mon Jan 29 03:50:30 2024

If being done as part of a new roof, consider in-roof panels where the
    panels are the roof, rather than mounting them on top of the roof. That
    will save buying the tiles to go under them, bird-proofing around them,
    cutting brackets through the tiles, etc.

--
    Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 29 08:32:56 2024
    On 27 Jan 2024 at 21:56:30 GMT, alan_m wrote:

an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump
    installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

My question is - would it be worth me buying the 8 panels (about £1000 >>>> https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and >>>> getting the connection sorted out later?

use the power. Can you?

Well, it might be reasonably cheap - I'm thinking <£5000 for 8 reasonably> >> located panels and storage. Based very loosely on
    http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Solar_PV_example:_single_garage - but
    unless it's not obvious, I'm fairly clueless about the whole thing.

The financial return isn't a huge consideration if I can get it installed for
    that sort of figure.

I could certainly use the power (when less is available, of course) in the >> winter. But not so much in the summer. So I'd need to look into a FiT for a >> decent financial return. An electric car is on my horizon, but not for a
    while.

Updated 9th Jan 2024 https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

Thanks - that's useful, especially the export tariffs.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to wrightsaerials@f2s.com on Mon Jan 29 08:33:17 2024
    On 27 Jan 2024 at 21:44:27 GMT, wrightsaerials@f2s.com wrote:

an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump >> installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW battery).

6kW? How long for?

Bill

Hour
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to charles on Mon Jan 29 08:36:58 2024
    On 27 Jan 2024 at 21:45:05 GMT, charles wrote:

less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW >> battery).

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing the
    panels than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the

Also, if you had a complete installation done you wouldn't pay VAT, butif your roofing man just puts up panels then you could end up paying VAT on them. His price for panels seems quite cheap.

My estimate based on the DIY wiki page. Panels seem to have gone down in price recently - but supply looks to be very patchy.

I've thrown the whole thing over to the roofer - so I'll see what he says.

I had a system installed 4

Yes, I'll need to cost the VAT factor, forgot about that.

Just looking at the spec for my panels, they are wired up from the back, so they'd need to be taken off to wire them up.

Good to know, thanks. How incidentally does the wire(s) find its way into the roof void?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to The Natural Philosopher on Mon Jan 29 08:42:16 2024
    On 28 Jan 2024 at 10:18:53 GMT, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

tank and filling it up.

It's not just economic return. It's also about reducing waste and consumption, and comfort. Personally, I wouldn't be relaxed using an oil burner at full
    tilt just to save a few quid.

At this stage, I'm thinking of insulating as much as possible (my home is already pretty good for a 1920s semi), abandoning the ASHP and factoring in a new gas boiler in the next 5 years, and solar as a reasonable cost/return option while I'm having the roof done (and I can afford it).

How does that work?!

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to ajh on Mon Jan 29 08:45:10 2024
    On 28 Jan 2024 at 16:52:05 GMT, ajh wrote:

I would but have you an electrician to connect the lot up? The DNO must
    be notified prior to connection to the grid but they will require a
    qualified electrician (not necessarily MCS certified) and they are bound
    to allow you 3.68kW connected. More than that and you have to get
    agreement in advance of connection but it is worth having more than 4kW
    of panels if they can fit and faces anywhere from East to Wet facing.

Unless you use less than 3MWh of electricity a year that battery is
    probably too small. Last March we fitted 6kW PV, a 5kW inverter, a car charger and 10kWh of storage to my daughter's roof, she has not needed
    to buy electricity other than off peak at 11p/kWh since and then only November to now. Since then panel prices have dropped.

Thanks - I'll tot all that up as the idea develops. Right now looking at 8 panels, so below the 3.68kW

As scaffolding is a fair chunk of the installation cost it will probably
    be worth absorbing the VAT on the panels but your roofer could do this
    bit as a sub contract to the electrician then the electrician would not charge VAT on the whole installation.

Good thinking

If the DNO is happy with the installation then at least one energy
    company will pay you for the excess power you export, the rate is high currently (8-15p/kWh) but I don't think that will last as wholesale electricity prices fall over the coming months.

Thanks - the MSE page has some pretty detailed data too.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Mon Jan 29 08:46:54 2024
    On 28 Jan 2024 at 17:08:34 GMT, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

In theory, they are just mounted on brackets that go through to the main roof construction underneath. I'd have thought if they were that bad there would have been a lot of complaints by now.
    Brian

Indeed. But this proliferation of installers is quite recent. Maybe earlier installs were done by more able contractors?

Not sure TBH.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Natural Philosopher@21:1/5 to RJH on Mon Jan 29 10:21:18 2024
    On 29/01/2024 08:42, RJH wrote:
    On 28 Jan 2024 at 10:18:53 GMT, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

tank and filling it up.

It's not just economic return. It's also about reducing waste and consumption,
    and comfort. Personally, I wouldn't be relaxed using an oil burner at full tilt just to save a few quid.

Christ on a bike.

At this stage, I'm thinking of insulating as much as possible (my home is already pretty good for a 1920s semi), abandoning the ASHP and factoring in a new gas boiler in the next 5 years, and solar as a reasonable cost/return option while I'm having the roof done (and I can afford it).

How does that work?!

--
    Gun Control: The law that ensures that only criminals have guns.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to RJH on Mon Jan 29 10:40:57 2024
    On 29/01/2024 08:32, RJH wrote:
    On 27 Jan 2024 at 21:56:30 GMT, alan_m wrote:

an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat pump

My question is - would it be worth me buying the 8 panels (about £1000 >>>>> https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410) and >>>>> getting the connection sorted out later?

than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the partial >>>>> destruction of a friend's roof.

use the power. Can you?

Well, it might be reasonably cheap - I'm thinking <£5000 for 8 reasonably> >>> located panels and storage. Based very loosely on
    http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Solar_PV_example:_single_garage - but >>> unless it's not obvious, I'm fairly clueless about the whole thing.

The financial return isn't a huge consideration if I can get it installed for
    that sort of figure.

I could certainly use the power (when less is available, of course) in the >>> winter. But not so much in the summer. So I'd need to look into a FiT for a >>> decent financial return. An electric car is on my horizon, but not for a >>> while.

Updated 9th Jan 2024
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

Apart from maybe Octopus, export tariffs require an MCS certified
    installation evidenced with an MCS certificate.
    Some MCS certified installers may refuse to work on a part install
    performed by someone else.

Thanks - that's useful, especially the export tariffs.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to RJH on Mon Jan 29 10:46:42 2024
    On 29/01/2024 08:46, RJH wrote:
    On 28 Jan 2024 at 17:08:34 GMT, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

In theory, they are just mounted on brackets that go through to the main
    roof construction underneath. I'd have thought if they were that bad there >> would have been a lot of complaints by now.
    Brian

Indeed. But this proliferation of installers is quite recent. Maybe earlier installs were done by more able contractors?

The cowboys have moved from double glazing, conservatories and
    insulation to solar panels and heat pumps.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to Andrew Gabriel on Mon Jan 29 10:48:43 2024
    On 29/01/2024 03:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    told me
    he can install some solar panels 'while he's up there'. I'd imagine
    there'd be
    an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably less than a heat
    pump

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing
    the panels

If being done as part of a new roof, consider in-roof panels where the
    panels are the roof, rather than mounting them on top of the roof. That
    will save buying the tiles to go under them, bird-proofing around them, cutting brackets through the tiles, etc.

That may limit repair options if a panel or two fails.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to RJH on Mon Jan 29 11:00:04 2024
    In article <up7o3a$cqbn$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

In article <up3p30$3h9ec$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
    wrote:
    imagine there'd be an installation cost, but it'd likely be
    considerably less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000
    including a 6kW battery).

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/longi-solar/longi-lr554hih-410)
    and getting the connection sorted out later?

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing
    the panels than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed
    the partial destruction of a friend's roof.

I suggest that it depends on the quality of the panels and the company doing the work. the company I used had good people working on the roof.

Also, if you had a complete installation done you wouldn't pay VAT,
    butif your roofing man just puts up panels then you could end up paying
    VAT on them. His price for panels seems quite cheap.

My estimate based on the DIY wiki page. Panels seem to have gone down in price recently - but supply looks to be very patchy.

I had a system installed 4 months ago, and 8 panels would have worked
    out at £6700. Mind you that price probably includes installation and wiring.

Just looking at the spec for my panels, they are wired up from the
    back, so they'd need to be taken off to wire them up.

Good to know, thanks. How incidentally does the wire(s) find its way into
    the roof void?

It doesn't. My battery and inverter are mounted on a outside wall. Wiring
    runs down the side of the house (in conduit).The battery alone weights
    110kg - not something easy to carry into a loft. The inverter is 'only'
    32kg!

--
    from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²
    "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew@21:1/5 to RJH on Tue Jan 30 16:01:29 2024
    On 29/01/2024 08:36, RJH wrote:

imagine there'd be an installation cost, but it'd likely be considerably >>> less than a heat pump installer has quoted (about £14,000 including a 6kW >>> battery).

Part of my reason for asking is I'd much prefer a roofer installing the
    panels than one of these heat pump companies - having witnessed the

Also, if you had a complete installation done you wouldn't pay VAT, butif
    your roofing man just puts up panels then you could end up paying VAT on
    them. His price for panels seems quite cheap.

My estimate based on the DIY wiki page. Panels seem to have gone down in price
    recently - but supply looks to be very patchy.

I had a system installed 4

Just looking at the spec for my panels, they are wired up from the back, so >> they'd need to be taken off to wire them up.

Good to know, thanks. How incidentally does the wire(s) find its way into the roof void?

Using special tiles -

https://www.roofingsuppliesuk.co.uk/collections/solar-panel-cable-roof-flashings

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to charles on Fri Feb 2 10:03:54 2024
    charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

What I'd do in this situation is run a pair of wires from every panel to a terminal block in the loft (not necessarily a chock block, perhaps something
    a bit more sturdy and with a suitable rating for DC). Then configuring the panels into strings is something you can do later from the comfort of the
    loft, rather than having to crawl on the roof to install the connections
    later.

Stringing is part of the system design that needs to be matched to the
    inverter - if we don't know what inverter we're going to use we don't want
    to be a hostage to fortune as to how the panels are connected. You may also need to add optimisers to each panel or pair, or use microinverters instead
    of one big inverter.

You'll spend more on wire prewiring everything, and you need to watch the voltage drops in the wire (longer wires = more losses, maybe need to upgrade
    to fatter wires) but it will turn the rest of the install to a warm-and-dry electrician job rather than a crawl-on-the-roof roofing job.

There's one awkwardness though: to configure the DC side of things you'd
    need the wiring to be de-energised, which either means having isolators on
    each DC wire, covering up the panels, or doing it at night. I suppose you could also have some kind of connector that can have the downstream side prewired offline and then plugged together at night when the panels aren't generating. Would need to find a sparky happy with this arrangement as they might not have seen it before.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to Theo on Sat Feb 3 08:30:43 2024
    On 02/02/2024 10:03, Theo wrote:
    charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
    Just looking at the spec for my panels, they are wired up from the back, so >> they'd need to be taken off to wire them up.

What I'd do in this situation is run a pair of wires from every panel to a terminal block in the loft (not necessarily a chock block, perhaps something a bit more sturdy and with a suitable rating for DC). Then configuring the panels into strings is something you can do later from the comfort of the loft, rather than having to crawl on the roof to install the connections later.

Stringing is part of the system design that needs to be matched to the inverter - if we don't know what inverter we're going to use we don't want
    to be a hostage to fortune as to how the panels are connected. You may also need to add optimisers to each panel or pair, or use microinverters instead of one big inverter.

You'll spend more on wire prewiring everything, and you need to watch the voltage drops in the wire (longer wires = more losses, maybe need to upgrade to fatter wires) but it will turn the rest of the install to a warm-and-dry electrician job rather than a crawl-on-the-roof roofing job.

There's one awkwardness though: to configure the DC side of things you'd
    need the wiring to be de-energised, which either means having isolators on each DC wire, covering up the panels, or doing it at night. I suppose you could also have some kind of connector that can have the downstream side prewired offline and then plugged together at night when the panels aren't generating. Would need to find a sparky happy with this arrangement as they might not have seen it before.

Is the builder qualified to do all this non-standard wiring and safety isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just
    the panels while the roof is being done may not be real. If someone at a
    later date needs to work on the roof to connect the panels probably they
    will need some form of scaffolding erected and the extra cost of wiring
    and associated equipment may negate any possible savings.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to junk@admac.myzen.co.uk on Sat Feb 3 09:43:45 2024
    alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
    Is the builder qualified to do all this non-standard wiring and safety isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just
    the panels while the roof is being done may not be real. If someone at a later date needs to work on the roof to connect the panels probably they

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big deal (<1
    day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you would install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to generate enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it worth your while. You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

After all, once the panels are on the roof the ~25 year life begins, so
    silly not to do the last bit to have them paying back.

The connections at the panels are just push in MC4 connectors so hard for a builder to mess up I'd have thought?

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Theo on Sat Feb 3 13:44:03 2024
    On 3 Feb 2024 at 09:43:45 GMT, Theo wrote:

Is the builder qualified to do all this non-standard wiring and safety
    isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big deal (<1> day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you would install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to generate enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it worth your while. You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

I suppose my problem is the MCS certification bit if I want to be able to export. Would an MCS qualified electrician be willing to carry out any extra work that needs doing? And if so, would there be a hefty premium?

The connections at the panels are just push in MC4 connectors so hard for a builder to mess up I'd have thought?

As it happens the roofer has just got back to me with the details of an electrician he works with - not, so far as I can see, MCS listed. I'll phone him on Monday to see what's what.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Feb 3 22:23:32 2024

isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just >> the panels while the roof is being done may not be real. If someone at a >> later date needs to work on the roof to connect the panels probably they >> will need some form of scaffolding erected and the extra cost of wiring

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big deal (<1>
    day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you would install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to generate enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it worth your while. You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

I suppose my problem is the MCS certification bit if I want to be able to export. Would an MCS qualified electrician be willing to carry out any extra work that needs doing? And if so, would there be a hefty premium?

You can only ask. See if there's an MCS installer who is willing for the builder to mount the panels - after all it's probably make it a much quicker/easier job than having to install scaffolding etc themselves.

After all, once the panels are on the roof the ~25 year life begins, so silly not to do the last bit to have them paying back.

As it happens the roofer has just got back to me with the details of an electrician he works with - not, so far as I can see, MCS listed. I'll phone him on Monday to see what's what.

For the record Octopus will pay export tariffs without an MCS install -
    other energy companies may follow suit, but for the moment MCS gives you
    more options.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to Theo on Sun Feb 4 00:33:33 2024
    On 03/02/2024 22:23, Theo wrote:

Is the builder qualified to do all this non-standard wiring and safety >>>> isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just >>>> the panels while the roof is being done may not be real. If someone at a >>>> later date needs to work on the roof to connect the panels probably they >>>> will need some form of scaffolding erected and the extra cost of wiring >>>> and associated equipment may negate any possible savings.

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big deal (<1>
    day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you would >>> install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to generate >>> enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it worth your >>> while. You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

I suppose my problem is the MCS certification bit if I want to be able to
    export. Would an MCS qualified electrician be willing to carry out any extra >> work that needs doing? And if so, would there be a hefty premium?

You can only ask. See if there's an MCS installer who is willing for the builder to mount the panels - after all it's probably make it a much quicker/easier job than having to install scaffolding etc themselves.

The connections at the panels are just push in MC4 connectors so hard for a >>> builder to mess up I'd have thought?

As it happens the roofer has just got back to me with the details of an
    electrician he works with - not, so far as I can see, MCS listed. I'll phone >> him on Monday to see what's what.

more options.

They do charge an inspection fee so if the installation is not up to an acceptable standard they may reject the installation for export tariff purposes.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 4 10:46:25 2024
    On 04/02/2024 00:33, alan_m wrote:

Is the builder qualified to do all this non-standard wiring and safety >>>>> isolation?  The perceived cost saving by having the builder install >>>>> just
    the panels while the roof is being done may not be real. If someone
    at a
    later date needs to work on the roof to connect the panels probably
    they
    will need some form of scaffolding erected and the extra cost of
    wiring

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big
    deal (<1>
    day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you
    would
    install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to
    generate
    enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it
    worth your
    while.  You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

I suppose my problem is the MCS certification bit if I want to be
    able to
    export. Would an MCS qualified electrician be willing to carry out
    any extra
    work that needs doing? And if so, would there be a hefty premium?

You can only ask.  See if there's an MCS installer who is willing for the >> builder to mount the panels - after all it's probably make it a much
    quicker/easier job than having to install scaffolding etc themselves.

After all, once the panels are on the roof the ~25 year life begins, so >>>> silly not to do the last bit to have them paying back.

The connections at the panels are just push in MC4 connectors so
    hard for a
    builder to mess up I'd have thought?

As it happens the roofer has just got back to me with the details of an
    electrician he works with - not, so far as I can see, MCS listed.
    I'll phone
    him on Monday to see what's what.

more options.

They do charge an inspection fee so if the installation is not up to an acceptable standard they may reject the installation for export tariff purposes.

But an inspection might require scaffolding for access anyway
    and I thought the low voltage interconnects have to be plugged
    in from panel to panel as they are being installed. Do you
    want to trust a 'builder' to do this ?.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Andrew on Sun Feb 4 11:53:33 2024
    Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:

other energy companies may follow suit, but for the moment MCS gives you >> more options.

That's interesting, they didn't say that when the announced the change.
    Seems to be a £250 'admin fee' and if accepted you're limited to some tariffs: https://www.reddit.com/r/OctopusEnergy/comments/17paaer/i_have_a_battery_solar_system_but_its_not_mcs/

At which point, getting the builder to mount the panels and getting an MCS person to do the rest may make sense. There are certain parts of MCS that relate to the design of the system (don't mount panels vertically on a north facing wall) but unless there is something egregious I imagine an MCS
    installer can work with what they have - after all you don't get to rebuild your house facing a different way. It is probably worth getting them
    involved before the panels go up as I think some parts of MCS relate to waterproofing, wind loads, etc.

I don't think Octopus care about how your panels are wired up, they're more interested in the grid side of things (ie do you have the number of panels/batteries you say you do, or did you sling a cable through to next door?). I doubt the £250 is going to cover roof access beyond going up a ladder.

The panels need to be organised in strings, but there's nothing to say you can't make a 'patch panel' of connections somewhere more accessible, at the cost of more wire, more wires going through the roof, and some voltage drops which you'd need to calculate (and potentially thicker wire to compensate).

I've not personally handled an MC4 connector but can imagine even a builder could put a plug in a socket.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From SteveW@21:1/5 to Theo on Sun Feb 4 12:02:57 2024
    On 04/02/2024 11:53, Theo wrote:
    Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:

For the record Octopus will pay export tariffs without an MCS install - >>>> other energy companies may follow suit, but for the moment MCS gives you >>>> more options.

They do charge an inspection fee so if the installation is not up to an
    acceptable standard they may reject the installation for export tariff
    purposes.

That's interesting, they didn't say that when the announced the change.
    Seems to be a £250 'admin fee' and if accepted you're limited to some tariffs:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OctopusEnergy/comments/17paaer/i_have_a_battery_solar_system_but_its_not_mcs/

At which point, getting the builder to mount the panels and getting an MCS person to do the rest may make sense. There are certain parts of MCS that relate to the design of the system (don't mount panels vertically on a north facing wall) but unless there is something egregious I imagine an MCS installer can work with what they have - after all you don't get to rebuild your house facing a different way. It is probably worth getting them involved before the panels go up as I think some parts of MCS relate to waterproofing, wind loads, etc.

I don't think Octopus care about how your panels are wired up, they're more interested in the grid side of things (ie do you have the number of panels/batteries you say you do, or did you sling a cable through to next door?). I doubt the £250 is going to cover roof access beyond going up a ladder.

Indeed. The current system seems to me to be a daft scheme. There is no
    logical reason that connection to the grid should require anything but a
    check that the inverter is certified and its connections to the
    grid/earthing are correct. Anything on the house side should be either
    doable by any electrician or plug-and-play for DIY install.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 4 13:33:04 2024
    DQpUaGVvIHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+IEkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgT2N0b3B1cyBjYXJlIGFib3V0IGhv dyB5b3VyIHBhbmVscyBhcmUgd2lyZWQgdXAsIHRoZXkncmUgbW9yZQ0KPiBpbnRlcmVzdGVk IGluIHRoZSBncmlkIHNpZGUgb2YgdGhpbmdzIChpZSBkbyB5b3UgaGF2ZSB0aGUgbnVtYmVy IG9mDQo+IHBhbmVscy9iYXR0ZXJpZXMgeW91IHNheSB5b3UgZG8sIG9yIGRpZCB5b3Ugc2xp bmcgYSBjYWJsZSB0aHJvdWdoIHRvIG5leHQNCj4gZG9vcj8pLiAgSSBkb3VidCB0aGUgwqMy NTAgaXMgZ29pbmcgdG8gY292ZXIgcm9vZiBhY2Nlc3MgYmV5b25kIGdvaW5nIHVwIGENCj4g bGFkZGVyLg0KDQpUaGUgwqMyNTAgZmVlIGlzIGxpa2VseSB0byAiZWF0IiBhYm91dCAxOCBt b250aHMgb2YgcHJvZHVjdGlvbiBmcm9tIDggDQpwYW5lbHMsIGFzc3VtaW5nIHlvdSBkb24n dCBjb25zdW1lIGFueSB5b3Vyc2VsZiAuLi4NCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Andy Burns on Sun Feb 4 16:29:13 2024
    Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

Theo wrote:

The £250 fee is likely to "eat" about 18 months of production from 8
    panels, assuming you don't consume any yourself ...

Yebbut you are presumably saving more than that by going the non-MCS route. Although it's an interesting 'keep them honest' feature. If an MCS install costs substantially more than £250 on top of a non-MCS install, go with the non MCS. If everyone did that the premium for MCS would settle at about
    that level. In economics textbook land anyway.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Carver@21:1/5 to SteveW on Sun Feb 4 16:50:43 2024
    On 04/02/2024 12:02, SteveW wrote:

Indeed. The current system seems to me to be a daft scheme. There is no logical reason that connection to the grid should require anything but a check that the inverter is certified and its connections to the
    grid/earthing are correct.

The DNO is interested to know about your system, because it could (along
    with all your neighbours' systems) cause them problems on a sunny
    summer's day.

If the system is capable of pushing out more than 3.68kW, they are very interested, and spend three months procrastinating before giving
    approval (or not).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Mark Carver on Sun Feb 4 21:59:54 2024
    Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:
    On 04/02/2024 12:02, SteveW wrote:

Indeed. The current system seems to me to be a daft scheme. There is no logical reason that connection to the grid should require anything but a check that the inverter is certified and its connections to the grid/earthing are correct.

The DNO is interested to know about your system, because it could (along
    with all your neighbours' systems) cause them problems on a sunny
    summer's day.

If the system is capable of pushing out more than 3.68kW, they are very interested, and spend three months procrastinating before giving
    approval (or not).

That's the DNO's business, which is not the problem of Octopus. Octopus
    want to know if you aren't doing anything fishy like taking power from your neighbour and saying it's 'generation', arbitraging at times when their
    export tariffs are paying more than the fixed-rate import tariff of Bob next door.

(although Octopus will probably want to check that the DNO paperwork was submitted, for <16A per phase you just fill in a form and send it in; the
    DNO doesn't have a veto for smaller installations)

I would be interested to know of anyone who failed the 'inspection' and the reasons why.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to Theo on Mon Feb 5 08:58:12 2024
    On 04/02/2024 21:59, Theo wrote:

(although Octopus will probably want to check that the DNO paperwork was submitted, for <16A per phase you just fill in a form and send it in; the
    DNO doesn't have a veto for smaller installations)

The DNO may not have a veto but will still require the installation to
    be an acceptable standard.

For instance tThe DNO would like to know that you cannot feed 230V back
    into the networks if the power goes off, thus protecting workers trying
    to repair the supply.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 5 09:24:48 2024
    alan_m wrote:

The DNO may not have a veto but will still require the installation to
    be an acceptable standard.

For instance tThe DNO would like to know that you cannot feed 230V back
    into the networks if the power goes off, thus protecting workers trying
    to repair the supply.

And is that likely to be more than filling in the DNO's G98 form with
    the premise details and ENA approval reference for the kit?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 13 19:49:13 2024
    In article <Xtg*0k4Bz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo <theom+news@chi ark.greenend.org.uk> scribeth thus
    isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big deal (<1 >day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you would >install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to generate >enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it worth your >while. You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

The connections at the panels are just push in MC4 connectors so hard for a >builder to mess up I'd have thought?

Theo

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solar-cable-and-connectors
    --
    Tony Sayer

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nothanks@aolbin.com@21:1/5 to tony sayer on Wed Feb 14 09:19:29 2024
    On 13/02/2024 19:49, tony sayer wrote:
    In article <Xtg*0k4Bz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo <theom+news@chi ark.greenend.org.uk> scribeth thus
    isolation? The perceived cost saving by having the builder install just >>> the panels while the roof is being done may not be real. If someone at a >>> later date needs to work on the roof to connect the panels probably they >>> will need some form of scaffolding erected and the extra cost of wiring

TBH once the panels are up the electrical install isn't such a big deal (<1 >> day unless there are complicating factors). So I'm not sure why you would >> install the panels and not connect them, since they only have to generate
    enough to pay back for the invwrter and wiring before making it worth your >> while. You don't need a battery at this stage, that can come later.

The connections at the panels are just push in MC4 connectors so hard for a >> builder to mess up I'd have thought?

Theo

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solar-cable-and-connectors
    OOI, is there anything special or unique about the cable that's sold for
    PV systems?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to nothanks@aolbin.com on Wed Feb 14 10:00:50 2024
    nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

is there anything special or unique about the cable that's sold for
    PV systems?

double insulated to 1.8kV DC, UV resistant, copes with wide range of
    ambient temperatures, LSZH ... that sort of thing, no doubt there's a
    spec somewhere it has to meet?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to nothanks@aolbin.com on Wed Feb 14 11:10:23 2024

I was being lazy

BS EN 50618 and H1Z2Z2-K

I'd expected the UV, LSZH and temp considerations but (showing my
    ignorance about PV) why 1.8kV?

Assuming it's not microinverters, the panels are wired in series so you
    do get high voltages (maybe 600-700V per string) so a 2x to 3x margin of
    safety ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nothanks@aolbin.com@21:1/5 to Andy Burns on Wed Feb 14 10:52:16 2024
    On 14/02/2024 10:00, Andy Burns wrote:

is there anything special or unique about the cable that's sold for PV
    systems?

Thanks (yes, I was being lazy). I'd expected the UV, LSZH and temp considerations but (showing my ignorance about PV) why 1.8kV?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From maus@21:1/5 to Andy Burns on Wed Feb 14 11:23:56 2024
    On 2024-02-14, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

PV systems?

My opinion on solar panels. One can get money to install solar panels
    and get power when the Sun shines, or get the money, put it in the
    fireplace, set it on fire, and get heat for a while (May be difficult
    with bitcoins)

--
    greymausg@mail.com
    Is There not even one Influencer here to torment?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Lamb@21:1/5 to usenet@andyburns.uk on Wed Feb 14 12:25:46 2024
    In message <l33lcvFidpnU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
    <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes

I was being lazy

BS EN 50618 and H1Z2Z2-K

I'd expected the UV, LSZH and temp considerations but (showing my >>ignorance about PV) why 1.8kV?

Assuming it's not microinverters, the panels are wired in series so you
    do get high voltages (maybe 600-700V per string) so a 2x to 3x margin
    of safety ...

Er. 60 years ago:-) I was instructed that while a safety margin of 3
    would do for mechanical structures, electrical safety required a factor
    of 5!

--
    Tim Lamb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Natural Philosopher@21:1/5 to maus on Wed Feb 14 12:15:21 2024
    On 14/02/2024 11:23, maus wrote:

PV systems?

and get power when the Sun shines, or get the money, put it in the fireplace, set it on fire, and get heat for a while (May be difficult
    with bitcoins)

LOL!

Yes. In the end unless you do a very precise cost benefit analysis you
    really don't know, and I have seen too many people believing what they
    wanted to believe instead of calculating the cost:benefit.

The reality is that without government mandated subsidies there is no
    overall benefit.

It's the same for heatpumps and BEVs. The people who have them swear
    blind they work, the people who have done the sums don't buy them.

The best investment I have made is the £200 or so to build a very
    precisely programmable central heating controller. I believe my oil consumption has improved by maybe 30%.

That is a serious amount of money.

--
    It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. Mark Twain

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From SteveW@21:1/5 to Tim Lamb on Wed Feb 14 14:09:09 2024
    On 14/02/2024 12:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
    In message <l33lcvFidpnU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes

I was being lazy

BS EN 50618 and H1Z2Z2-K

Assuming it's not microinverters, the panels are wired in series so
    you do get high voltages (maybe 600-700V per string) so a 2x to 3x
    margin of safety ...

would do for mechanical structures, electrical safety required a factor
    of 5!

Surely, for cabling, the safety margin is built in - with 250V certified
    cable being suitable for mains, etc. - and is actually safe at much
    higher voltages?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alan_m@21:1/5 to SteveW on Wed Feb 14 18:00:20 2024
    On 14/02/2024 14:09, SteveW wrote:
    On 14/02/2024 12:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
    In message <l33lcvFidpnU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
    <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes

I was being lazy

BS EN 50618 and H1Z2Z2-K

Assuming it's not microinverters, the panels are wired in series so
    you do get high voltages (maybe 600-700V per string) so a 2x to 3x
    margin of safety ...

would do for mechanical structures, electrical safety required a
    factor of 5!

Surely, for cabling, the safety margin is built in - with 250V certified cable being suitable for mains, etc. - and is actually safe at much
    higher voltages?

But not all mains cable is UV safe.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 14 22:20:00 2024
    In article <uqiasp$2klrs$5@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> scribeth thus

PV systems?

with bitcoins)

LOL!

overall benefit.

precisely programmable central heating controller. I believe my oil >consumption has improved by maybe 30%.

ISTR That Theo on this group did a lot of calcs and though they did or
    could pay back

I did a rough one a while ago have a large easily accessible flat roof
    and a south facing wall i can hang some on. No scaffolding required and
    the cost of the panels from a local supplier was around 130 quid i see
    they are cheaper now, Electric is around 33 p a unit it didn't seem that
    long before it would be paid for. Its not going to happen before long
    and I'll go through it again..

And I'm sure they'll outlast me!!!
    --
    Tony Sayer

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to tony sayer on Thu Feb 15 04:23:45 2024
    On 14 Feb 2024 at 22:20:00 GMT, tony sayer wrote:

In article <uqiasp$2klrs$5@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> scribeth thus

PV systems?

with bitcoins)

LOL!

overall benefit.

precisely programmable central heating controller. I believe my oil
    consumption has improved by maybe 30%.

could pay back

And I'm sure they'll outlast me!!!

It's quite straightforward to calculate - I had a survey done recently. On an £8.5k SE 8 panel 6 kWh install, 13 year payback.

Some interesting details in the calculation - generation goes down by about
    10% over 25 years, a £1250 every 5 years sinking fund labelled replacement built in (battery?), and export income decreases over time, from about 15% of the overall benefit to 3%.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to tony sayer on Thu Feb 15 10:11:52 2024
    tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
    could pay back

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Solar_PV_example:_single_garage

Since I did that the cost of electricity has come down, so the payback gets longer. OTOH so has the cost of the panels. Redoing the costs today will
    be different from my 2022 calc. Obviously your site will be different so
    you'd need to do the solar calcs for that as well.

For a DIY install you don't get an export tariff, so you'd have to consume
    the energy locally. So to make it work either your consumption is aligned
    with the times of generation (perhaps EV charging) or you have a battery to time-shift consumption.

(Octopus may allow export on a non-MCS install with a £250 inspection - I'd get an electrician to do the connect up and commissioning - but doing that means extra costs. You'd have to calculate whether that's worth it)

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ajh@21:1/5 to maus on Thu Feb 15 17:20:31 2024

PV systems?

and get power when the Sun shines, or get the money, put it in the fireplace, set it on fire, and get heat for a while (May be difficult
    with bitcoins)

Irish maus from wayback uk bus ag?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05