• Universal Control

From Martin S Taylor@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 16:24:29 2022
    One of the highly touted features of Monterey was Universal Control, whereby it's possible for a display to be mirrored or extended between an iPad and a Mac.

Does anyone understand it? I've been fiddling about with it on and off for a few weeks now, and I can't find any logic to how it works.

The only reason I'd want to use it is for the times when I need to draw something on my display and my Apple Pencil seems more accurate than the
    mouse.

But I'm baffled as to the purpose and connection between Universal Control,
    the options in System Preferences > Displays > Add Display, the options in the menu bar for Screen Mirroring, and "Move to Martin's iPad" which now appears in the Window menu of all apps.

Is there logic behind how it works? Are others as mystified as I? Is there a website somewhere to offer concise advice?

Martin S Taylor

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Alan B@21:1/5 to Martin S Taylor on Fri Sep 2 15:38:31 2022
    Martin S Taylor <correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:
    One of the highly touted features of Monterey was Universal Control, whereby it's possible for a display to be mirrored or extended between an iPad and a Mac.

Does anyone understand it? I've been fiddling about with it on and off for a few weeks now, and I can't find any logic to how it works.

The only reason I'd want to use it is for the times when I need to draw something on my display and my Apple Pencil seems more accurate than the mouse.

But I'm baffled as to the purpose and connection between Universal Control, the options in System Preferences > Displays > Add Display, the options in the menu bar for Screen Mirroring, and "Move to Martin's iPad" which now appears in the Window menu of all apps.

Is there logic behind how it works? Are others as mystified as I? Is there a website somewhere to offer concise advice?

I had a play with it a few weeks ago but the trouble is I don’t really have
    a need for it so gave up! I followed some MacRumors guidance here.

<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/universal-control/>

Presumably you’ve read the official Apple stuff?

<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212757>

If you become any the wiser please let me know ;)

--
    Cheers, Alan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Hewitt@21:1/5 to Martin S Taylor on Sat Sep 3 04:56:47 2022
    Martin S Taylor <correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

The only reason I'd want to use it is for the times when I need to draw something on my display and my Apple Pencil seems more accurate than the mouse.

But I'm baffled as to the purpose and connection between Universal Control, the options in System Preferences > Displays > Add Display, the options in the menu bar for Screen Mirroring, and "Move to Martin's iPad" which now appears in the Window menu of all apps.

Martin S Taylor

Yes, you’ve got system features confused here.

Universal control simply allows you to use your desktop’s keyboard and
    mouse on the iPad (if that supports it). Once you’ve added the iPad, and positioned it in the Displays Prefs, you simply move your mouse past the
    edge of the desktop screen towards the iPad, and then you’ll see a mouse cursor appear (it’ll be a round blob, which you can adjust the colour and size).

Once you’ve done that, then you can control the iPad using your desktop keyboard and mouse, many keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures work here.

For the Display mirroring, or extending, you need to look up Sidecar, which puts the desktop screen onto the iPad. That can also depend on the exact hardware you have as to whether it will work or not.

--
    Andy H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan B@21:1/5 to Andy Hewitt on Sat Sep 3 11:50:48 2022
    Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

[snip]

For the Display mirroring, or extending, you need to look up Sidecar, which puts the desktop screen onto the iPad. That can also depend on the exact hardware you have as to whether it will work or not.

If anyone is having trouble getting Sidecar to work, I’ve used the Screens app on my iPad. It probably still works on older non compliant iPads? I
    think it was ‘nospam’ who first suggested it and I’ve used for some time now with great success. It even works with iPhones but not really a
    practical solution due to the small screen!

--
    Cheers, Alan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin S Taylor@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 8 11:41:22 2022
    On Sep 2, 2022, Alan B wrote
    (in article<tet81n$2ifu5$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):

One of the highly touted features of Monterey was Universal Control, whereby
    it's possible for a display to be mirrored or extended between an iPad and a
    Mac.

Does anyone understand it? I've been fiddling about with it on and off for a
    few weeks now, and I can't find any logic to how it works.

But I'm baffled as to the purpose and connection between Universal Control, the options in System Preferences > Displays > Add Display, the options in
    the menu bar for Screen Mirroring, and "Move to Martin's iPad" which now appears in the Window menu of all apps.

Is there logic behind how it works? Are others as mystified as I? Is there a
    website somewhere to offer concise advice?

I had a play with it a few weeks ago but the trouble is I don’t really have a need for it so gave up! I followed some MacRumors guidance here.

<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/universal-control/>

Presumably you’ve read the official Apple stuff?

<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212757>

If you become any the wiser please let me know ;)

Read all of this, have turned off Universal Control, and still can't make any headway with Sidecar.

MST

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05