• Re: Safari - huge numbers of left-over processes even when no windows o

From Ian McCall@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 16 09:19:07 2022
    On 18 Jan 2022, Ian McCall wrote
    (in article<0001HW.27963DF2005C8BE4700007B1938F@news.individual.net>):

Replying to self yep, but got it 100% reproducible.

Launch Safari, open a tab group, look at Activity Monitor and filter by ‘https’. You’ll see processes equal to the number of tabs you just opened (a couple may take a few seconds to appear).

If you now close the window, those processes will exit. If you do -not- close the window and reload the tabs instead by hitting the tab group....threads will stay open, and new ones will be added. This occurs each time you reload tabs.

...and replying to myself again to say this is fixed in macOS 12.3. Behaviour is still slightly odd, but it’s reasonably predictable.

The steps above were slightly wrong to reproduce it - as well as the above,
    you needed to have “Automatically Replace Tabs” selected in the bookmarks bar in addition to the above. Now the behaviour is that the thread count will double if you hit the tab button to replace the tabs, but will -only- ever double. If you hit it again you don’t get three times the original threads, it sticks at two. Then, after some period I’ve time I’m yet to determine but seems to be > 5 minutes, one set of those threads will die and you’ll
    be left with the correct number of Safari processes for the tabs being shown.

Cheers,
    Ian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)