• Re: eBooks and Annotations

From Ray@21:1/5 to correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIyS on Tue Jan 18 08:56:48 2022
    On 17 Jan 2022 at 13:57:47 GMT, "Martin S Taylor" <correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

On Jan 15, 2022, Chris Ridd wrote
    (in article <sru8ge$15g$2@dont-email.me>):

Do any of the eBook formats have a standard for encoding annotations?

All the eBook readers allow you to annotate your book, and many will sync >>> the
    annotations between different devices. But I'd like to store the book on the
    Mac, or (if it's in the public domain) to share it with others with my
    annotations included.

Is there a recommended way to do this?

I don't believe there is any sort of standard that vendors follow. At
    best, it'd be an additional set of data kept outside of the ebook.

Hmmm.... anywhere I can find this set of data and archive it?

MST

Don't know if this is useful to you but Calibre <https://calibre-ebook.com/> will convert many ebook formats to PDF among other formats.
    I don't know if it will bring any annotations from a reader over, but most ebook readers accept PDF's.
    --
    Admit nothing, even on your deathbed.
    You might suddenly get better.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Martin S Taylor@21:1/5 to Ray on Tue Jan 18 10:09:42 2022
    On Jan 18, 2022, Ray wrote
    (in article<ss5vcg$2en$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>):

All the eBook readers allow you to annotate your book, and many will sync
    the
    annotations between different devices. But I'd like to store the book on
    the
    Mac, or (if it's in the public domain) to share it with others with my annotations included.

I don't believe there is any sort of standard that vendors follow. At best, it'd be an additional set of data kept outside of the ebook.

MST

Don't know if this is useful to you but Calibre<https://calibre-ebook.com/> will convert many ebook formats to PDF among other formats.
    I don't know if it will bring any annotations from a reader over, but most ebook readers accept PDF's.

Thanks, but that doesn't really help. I like the ability of eReaders to reformat the flow of the text. Also, it would be hard to add more annotations to a PDF after the event.

It does seem odd that Ican annotate a text but there's no way to preserve the annotations in an actual file that I can archive somewhere.

MST

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wolffan@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 18 08:14:45 2022
    On 2022 Jan 14, Martin S Taylor wrote
    (in article<0001HW.27921D5C00ABCE5B70000E9B338F@news.eternal-september.org>):

All the eBook readers allow you to annotate your book, and many will sync the annotations between different devices. But I'd like to store the book on the Mac, or (if it's in the public domain) to share it with others with my annotations included.

Martin S Taylor

It depends on whether there’s DRM on the file on not, and what kind of DRM, which means which of the ebook systems.

If there’s no DRM (some authors and some publishers insist on no DRM, even when the ebook vendor is notorious for heavy-duty DRM (<cough>
    Apple</cough>) then saving the book locally is trivial. Some vendors (Amazon) have DRM easily defeated by tools such as calibre and the DeDRM plugin; the file can now be saved anywhere, and accessed by e-readers other than Kindle, Amazon pouts when looking at deDRMed copies of books they sold. I typically stick them into iBooks or Marvin. Some DRM is a major pain (Apple) and you usually get to live with the DRM because it’s so annoying to remove. I live with it by only buying DRM-free books from Apple, not DRM-ruined books.
    DeDRMed books have all the features of DRM-ruined books, except no DRM and
    you can put them where you want them, not where the vendor wants them.
    calibre in particular makes moving deDRMed books around trivial. calibre also allows modifying the metadata, including but not limited to author name,
    author name sort (not the same thing...), cover, publisher, ISBN or similar, series, and more. calibre also makes moving from one format (Amazon .azw3,
    for example) to another (.epub, used by Apple and others, for example). The format transfer process usually preserves annotations.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From STALKING_TARGET_17@21:1/5 to Martin S Taylor on Tue Jan 18 22:36:51 2022
    On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 3:09:45 AM UTC-7, Martin S Taylor wrote:
    On Jan 18, 2022, Ray wrote
    (in article<ss5vcg$2en$1...@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>):

All the eBook readers allow you to annotate your book, and many will sync
    the
    annotations between different devices. But I'd like to store the book on
    the
    Mac, or (if it's in the public domain) to share it with others with my
    annotations included.

I don't believe there is any sort of standard that vendors follow. At best, it'd be an additional set of data kept outside of the ebook.

MST

Don't know if this is useful to you but Calibre<https://calibre-ebook.com/> will convert many ebook formats to PDF among other formats.

Thanks, but that doesn't really help. I like the ability of eReaders to reformat the flow of the text. Also, it would be hard to add more annotations to a PDF after the event.

It does seem odd that Ican annotate a text but there's no way to preserve the annotations in an actual file that I can archive somewhere.

MST

I think there are too many "works for me" Linux users and not enough old
    school users with the time to help the people with Android. That's what Jeremy does when he gets caught. He immediately creates a new identity, starts a
    cross posted thread so he can claim it was an accident. Don't blame me it
    was my left hand... and then he talks to it with his right hand.

I bet we have two different views for a good reason. Jeremy suffers from paranoid fantasies so, to him, everything, even treating him as he treats others, are "slander". Who DOESN'T know this?

Jeremy's indictment is misplaced up front, and not accurate second of all.
    Is Alan B working on being just as much of a dishonest liar as Jeremy is already known as being? He claims that he uses Android, while you know he
    never recorded it to get any real work done and fully used it.

-
    Do not click this link! https://prescott-arizona.janbarham.org.au/yavapai-college-library-202.html/ https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22 Steve Petruzzellis the Narcissistic Bigot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05