• Re: Getting hold of a High Sierra installer

From Alan B@21:1/5 to TimS on Tue Mar 7 19:32:47 2023
    On 2023-03-07, TimS <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
    I need to have a temporary High Sierra system, as I have a user of an app I wrote, who is having an issue with it that I don't observe here; he is on High
    Sierra, my stuff runs as expected under Mojave and Catalina.

I have a 2012 Mini kicking around (fortunately I hadn't sold it off yet) that should be able to run HS. I'd put Catalina on it as the last step prior to disposal.

Now, even though one can find links on Apple Support pages giving direct AppStore links for downloading various macOS versions, following the HS one the appStore has a nice page with a Get button to click, but it then says that
    this OS version is "not available". So I think perhaps I'll get Sierra installed but the installer for that is "too old" to run under Catalina. So now I'm installing Mountain Lion in the hopes that I can upgrade to Sierra successfully and possibly even HS if I can find an installer.

(There was also the Fusion Drive rabbit hole to avoid. I thought I'd better reformat the HD and SSD inside this Mini to HFS+, but the Mountain Lion Recovery setup version of Disk Utility noticed them and very kindly made them into a Fusion Drive for me. Luckily diskutil was my friend, there)

Now, does anyone have any suggestions to to how I *should* have done this, or is able to point me at a genuine High Sierra installer?

<https://archive.org/details/macOS.High.Sierra.10.13.6>

--
    Cheers, Alan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From TimS@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 7 19:16:09 2023
    I need to have a temporary High Sierra system, as I have a user of an app I wrote, who is having an issue with it that I don't observe here; he is on High Sierra, my stuff runs as expected under Mojave and Catalina.

I have a 2012 Mini kicking around (fortunately I hadn't sold it off yet) that should be able to run HS. I'd put Catalina on it as the last step prior to disposal.

Now, even though one can find links on Apple Support pages giving direct AppStore links for downloading various macOS versions, following the HS one
    the appStore has a nice page with a Get button to click, but it then says that this OS version is "not available". So I think perhaps I'll get Sierra installed but the installer for that is "too old" to run under Catalina. So
    now I'm installing Mountain Lion in the hopes that I can upgrade to Sierra successfully and possibly even HS if I can find an installer.

(There was also the Fusion Drive rabbit hole to avoid. I thought I'd better reformat the HD and SSD inside this Mini to HFS+, but the Mountain Lion Recovery setup version of Disk Utility noticed them and very kindly made them into a Fusion Drive for me. Luckily diskutil was my friend, there)

Now, does anyone have any suggestions to to how I *should* have done this, or is able to point me at a genuine High Sierra installer?

--
    Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan B@21:1/5 to Alan B on Wed Mar 8 15:42:23 2023
    On 2023-03-07, Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
    I need to have a temporary High Sierra system, as I have a user of an app I >> wrote, who is having an issue with it that I don't observe here; he is on High

I have a 2012 Mini kicking around (fortunately I hadn't sold it off yet) that
    should be able to run HS. I'd put Catalina on it as the last step prior to >> disposal.

Now, even though one can find links on Apple Support pages giving direct
    AppStore links for downloading various macOS versions, following the HS one >> the appStore has a nice page with a Get button to click, but it then says that
    this OS version is "not available". So I think perhaps I'll get Sierra
    installed but the installer for that is "too old" to run under Catalina. So >> now I'm installing Mountain Lion in the hopes that I can upgrade to Sierra >> successfully and possibly even HS if I can find an installer.

(There was also the Fusion Drive rabbit hole to avoid. I thought I'd better >> reformat the HD and SSD inside this Mini to HFS+, but the Mountain Lion
    Recovery setup version of Disk Utility noticed them and very kindly made them
    into a Fusion Drive for me. Luckily diskutil was my friend, there)

Now, does anyone have any suggestions to to how I *should* have done this, or
    is able to point me at a genuine High Sierra installer?

If you mount the dmg you will find the High Sierra installer app. You may encounter expired
    certificate problems when trying to use it, typically seeing a message claiming the file is
    damaged. The easiest way to work around this is to use Show Package Contents and navigate
    to Contents -> SharedSupport. Now move, rename or delete InstallInfo.plist and hopefully
    all will be well when you try the install again. It's explained here:

<https://osxdaily.com/2019/10/24/fix-install-macos-application-damaged-cant-be-used-error-mac/>

This worked for me when creating a HS VM using VMware Fusion on my Intel Mac running
    Ventura.

--
    Cheers, Alan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TimS@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 8 18:14:35 2023
    On 08 Mar 2023 at 15:42:23 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

I need to have a temporary High Sierra system, as I have a user of an app I >>> wrote, who is having an issue with it that I don't observe here; he is on High

should be able to run HS. I'd put Catalina on it as the last step prior to >>> disposal.

Now, even though one can find links on Apple Support pages giving direct >>> AppStore links for downloading various macOS versions, following the HS one >>> the appStore has a nice page with a Get button to click, but it then says that
    installed but the installer for that is "too old" to run under Catalina. So >>> now I'm installing Mountain Lion in the hopes that I can upgrade to Sierra >>> successfully and possibly even HS if I can find an installer.

(There was also the Fusion Drive rabbit hole to avoid. I thought I'd better >>> reformat the HD and SSD inside this Mini to HFS+, but the Mountain Lion

If you mount the dmg you will find the High Sierra installer app. You may encounter expired
    certificate problems when trying to use it, typically seeing a message claiming the file is
    damaged. The easiest way to work around this is to use Show Package Contents and navigate
    to Contents -> SharedSupport. Now move, rename or delete InstallInfo.plist and
    hopefully

<https://osxdaily.com/2019/10/24/fix-install-macos-application-damaged-cant-be-used-error-mac/>

This worked for me when creating a HS VM using VMware Fusion on my Intel Mac running
    Ventura.

Thanks, I was eventually able to get through and now have an updated HS
    running on the Mini in question. Off for pizza now, so details later.

--
    Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TimS@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 8 22:13:29 2023
    On 08 Mar 2023 at 15:42:23 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

I need to have a temporary High Sierra system, as I have a user of an app I >>> wrote, who is having an issue with it that I don't observe here; he is on High

should be able to run HS. I'd put Catalina on it as the last step prior to >>> disposal.

Now, even though one can find links on Apple Support pages giving direct >>> AppStore links for downloading various macOS versions, following the HS one >>> the appStore has a nice page with a Get button to click, but it then says that
    installed but the installer for that is "too old" to run under Catalina. So >>> now I'm installing Mountain Lion in the hopes that I can upgrade to Sierra >>> successfully and possibly even HS if I can find an installer.

(There was also the Fusion Drive rabbit hole to avoid. I thought I'd better >>> reformat the HD and SSD inside this Mini to HFS+, but the Mountain Lion

hopefully

Ventura.

It seems that the safest way is to follow the same sequence that I might originally have done before the 2012 Mini was retired. That is, it might have come with Snow Leopard, and over time (some years) I would have updated it through various OS versions until I ended up with High Sierra. This process avoids the "broken" installers; I didn't know about this certificate business, I just assumed these were broken in some not-understood (by me, anyway) fashion.

So, the first thing was to have Recovery put back the OS it came with, via a Shift-Cmd-Opt-R restart. That gave me Snow Leopard on the machine. I think I'd been able to download a Sierra installer (or maybe I already had it). Running this gave me Sierra. But none of the HS installers I'd found by poking around, would then work under Sierra. They were all "broken". And, the App Sore
    claimed not to have high Sierra at all, even if I tried it under Sierra. Further, although lots of sites had a direct link to an Apple site with the HS installer, this link repeatably fired up the App Store, which claimed to have HS, but on clicking Get all I got was "unavailable".

Eventually I tried this same link in Safari under Sierra; I'd been doing that on my main Mini (Catalina). Under Sierra, the HS Installer, which had been "unavailable" under Catalina, was suddenly "available". It downloaded and was OK.

So it seems that you can't go backwards directly. You have to go a long way backwards (only one option for that) and then work forwards, and if you dig
    you can find (from Apple Support) direct links to OS installers - but do all this on that same machine.

--
    Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan B@21:1/5 to TimS on Thu Mar 9 10:43:45 2023
    On 2023-03-08, TimS <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
    On 08 Mar 2023 at 15:42:23 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid>
    wrote:

I need to have a temporary High Sierra system, as I have a user of an app I
    wrote, who is having an issue with it that I don't observe here; he is on High

should be able to run HS. I'd put Catalina on it as the last step prior to >>>> disposal.

Now, even though one can find links on Apple Support pages giving direct >>>> AppStore links for downloading various macOS versions, following the HS one
    the appStore has a nice page with a Get button to click, but it then says that
    this OS version is "not available". So I think perhaps I'll get Sierra >>>> installed but the installer for that is "too old" to run under Catalina. So
    now I'm installing Mountain Lion in the hopes that I can upgrade to Sierra >>>> successfully and possibly even HS if I can find an installer.

(There was also the Fusion Drive rabbit hole to avoid. I thought I'd better
    reformat the HD and SSD inside this Mini to HFS+, but the Mountain Lion >>>> Recovery setup version of Disk Utility noticed them and very kindly made them

If you mount the dmg you will find the High Sierra installer app. You may
    encounter expired
    certificate problems when trying to use it, typically seeing a message
    claiming the file is
    damaged. The easiest way to work around this is to use Show Package Contents >> and navigate
    hopefully

This worked for me when creating a HS VM using VMware Fusion on my Intel Mac >> running
    Ventura.

It seems that the safest way is to follow the same sequence that I might originally have done before the 2012 Mini was retired. That is, it might have come with Snow Leopard, and over time (some years) I would have updated it through various OS versions until I ended up with High Sierra. This process avoids the "broken" installers; I didn't know about this certificate business,
    I just assumed these were broken in some not-understood (by me, anyway) fashion.

So, the first thing was to have Recovery put back the OS it came with, via a Shift-Cmd-Opt-R restart. That gave me Snow Leopard on the machine. I think I'd
    been able to download a Sierra installer (or maybe I already had it). Running this gave me Sierra. But none of the HS installers I'd found by poking around,
    would then work under Sierra. They were all "broken". And, the App Sore claimed not to have high Sierra at all, even if I tried it under Sierra. Further, although lots of sites had a direct link to an Apple site with the HS
    installer, this link repeatably fired up the App Store, which claimed to have HS, but on clicking Get all I got was "unavailable".

Eventually I tried this same link in Safari under Sierra; I'd been doing that on my main Mini (Catalina). Under Sierra, the HS Installer, which had been "unavailable" under Catalina, was suddenly "available". It downloaded and was OK.

So it seems that you can't go backwards directly. You have to go a long way backwards (only one option for that) and then work forwards, and if you dig you can find (from Apple Support) direct links to OS installers - but do all this on that same machine.

What a carry-on! Still at least you got there in the end :) This Intel Mac bought
    new came with HS so shouldn't be a problem (apart from expired certs?). However,
    as I said , I'm running HS in a VM so no where near as much hassle. Like Mojave,
    slrn and MacSOUP run exceedingly well :)

--
    Cheers, Alan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05