• sysreq key equivalent

From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 14 10:16:00 2021
    I've (mostly) switched to using a Logitech k400r wireless keyboard for most
    of the time with the linux box that feeds AV to our TV, etc. However it
    doesn't have a key which is labelled as the sysreq. And when I tried the
    'print screen' key to see if that could be used for this purpose it didn't work.

So, anyone know which key on this model of keyboard will deliver the
    sysreq? Or how I can check to find out?

I tried a websearch but couldn't find any specific answer to this.

Jim

--
    Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me. Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
    biog http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/history/ups_and_downs.html
    Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Sun Aug 15 12:21:54 2021
    On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 10:16:00 +0100
    Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
    I've (mostly) switched to using a Logitech k400r wireless keyboard for most of the time with the linux box that feeds AV to our TV, etc. However it doesn't have a key which is labelled as the sysreq. And when I tried the 'print screen' key to see if that could be used for this purpose it didn't work.

I think keyboards deliver "scancodes" and an application uses a library to translate from the scancode to a human readable symbol like a letter or a number , etc. How an application does things also depends on whether it uses the X Windows API or the Wayland API (or something else ?) and that of course will also depend on what is running on the Linux box in question. I don't
    know if different keyboards will necessarily deliver the same scancode for
    the same letter on the keyboard or <X Windows / Wayland / library /
    whatever> has some way of doing an appropriate translation depending on the model of keyboard and possibly other factors. www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-1.html has some information.

This is all a bit esoteric of course and perhaps will set you towards the
    wrong path. A more productive approach may be the following : on the Linux
    box in question what application is responsible for reading sysreq (when it exists) and do the operation you want to achieve ? The documentation of that application may provide a clue.

Have you tried the old and trusted method of pressing random keys and see
    if any do what you want ? Obviously this isn't something you should do if
    the results can be catastrophic like for example if the same Linux box
    controls the self-destruct mechanism of your house.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Sun Aug 15 12:59:28 2021
    On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 10:16:00 +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:

I've (mostly) switched to using a Logitech k400r wireless keyboard for
    most of the time with the linux box that feeds AV to our TV, etc.
    However it doesn't have a key which is labelled as the sysreq. And when
    I tried the 'print screen' key to see if that could be used for this
    purpose it didn't work.

Does running 'showkey -a' help?

--
    --
    Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to spibou@gmail.com on Sun Aug 15 14:57:17 2021
    In article <VkuwifgCL6SOnqv9H@bongo-ra.co>, Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

This is all a bit esoteric of course and perhaps will set you towards
    the wrong path. A more productive approach may be the following : on the Linux box in question what application is responsible for reading
    sysreq (when it exists) and do the operation you want to achieve ? The documentation of that application may provide a clue.

AIUI the purpose of SysKey is that the 'OS' picks this up as a trigger that what follows is to deal with something like a 'kernel panic'. i.e. it
    bypasses (or should) the GUI and apps.

Jim

--
    Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me. Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Sun Aug 15 13:59:28 2021
    On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 10:16:00 +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:

I've (mostly) switched to using a Logitech k400r wireless keyboard for
    most of the time with the linux box that feeds AV to our TV, etc.
    However it doesn't have a key which is labelled as the sysreq. And when
    I tried the 'print screen' key to see if that could be used for this
    purpose it didn't work.

Does running 'showkey -a' help?

--
    --
    Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Wed Aug 18 15:53:48 2021
    On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:57:17 +0100
    In article <VkuwifgCL6SOnqv9H@bongo-ra.co>, Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

the wrong path. A more productive approach may be the following : on the Linux box in question what application is responsible for reading
    sysreq (when it exists) and do the operation you want to achieve ? The documentation of that application may provide a clue.

AIUI the purpose of SysKey is that the 'OS' picks this up as a trigger that what follows is to deal with something like a 'kernel panic'. i.e. it bypasses (or should) the GUI and apps.

Is the information at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html of any use ?

It might also help if you explain what operation you want to achieve with sysreq .

--
    According to quantum mechanics there exists an alternative universe where there are movies "Silence of the wolves" and "Dancing with lambs".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Wed Aug 18 16:53:48 2021
    On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:57:17 +0100

AIUI the purpose of SysKey is that the 'OS' picks this up as a trigger that what follows is to deal with something like a 'kernel panic'. i.e. it bypasses (or should) the GUI and apps.

Is the information at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html of any use ?

It might also help if you explain what operation you want to achieve with sysreq .

--
    According to quantum mechanics there exists an alternative universe where there are movies "Silence of the wolves" and "Dancing with lambs".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to Spiros.Bousbouras@f1.n221.z2.fidone on Fri Aug 20 10:13:38 2021
    In article <1825036279@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi>, Spiros Bousbouras <Spiros.Bousbouras@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi> wrote:

Is the information at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html of any
    use ?

It is certainly useful as a handy guide, yes. :-)

It might also help if you explain what operation you want to achieve
    with sysreq .

The machine in question sometimes seems to 'stiff' its GUI, etc following a mouseclick. Most often this is when a click on a ROX-Filer 'app' icon calls starting up VLC to play a file.

I *think* what happens is due to using a wireless mouse/keyboard where the control isn't 100% reliable. It *may* be due to more than one command being sent causing something like multiple instances of VLC to be started as they both try to get going. But this is a guess on my part.

The result is partly displayed VLC windows and a totally unresponsive
    (usually) system. i.e. the mouse and normal uses of the keyboard cease to
    have any visible effect.

An old wireless keyboard however then will let me run though the standard REISUB sequence to shot down and start up again.

I got the k400r as an alternative and it is, indeed, much more reliable in communicating with the machine. So the problem happens much less often. But when it did (for the first time) I found that the keyboard lacked a SysRq
    key label, and 'print screen' seemed not to work for a REISUB sequence. Had
    to get the 'old' keyboard and that did the trick.

So I can keep the old keyboard handy for when needed. But it would be
    better if I can suss how to get the new one to let me send the REISUB.

The new one is much easier to use. The old one meant I had to keep moving
    the keyboard about until I found a place where it worked. However I hadn't
    got the problem with the new keyboard until recently. Seemed to have almost totally cured the problem - until it cropped up again recently and I
    realised the lack of the SysRq key!

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Mon Aug 23 18:40:08 2021
    On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:13:38 +0100
    In article <1825036279@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi>, Spiros Bousbouras <Spiros.Bousbouras@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi> wrote:

Is the information at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html of any
    use ?

It is certainly useful as a handy guide, yes. :-)

It might also help if you explain what operation you want to achieve
    with sysreq .

The machine in question sometimes seems to 'stiff' its GUI, etc following a mouseclick. Most often this is when a click on a ROX-Filer 'app' icon calls starting up VLC to play a file.

I *think* what happens is due to using a wireless mouse/keyboard where the control isn't 100% reliable. It *may* be due to more than one command being sent causing something like multiple instances of VLC to be started as they both try to get going. But this is a guess on my part.

The result is partly displayed VLC windows and a totally unresponsive (usually) system. i.e. the mouse and normal uses of the keyboard cease to have any visible effect.

An old wireless keyboard however then will let me run though the standard REISUB sequence to shot down and start up again.

Does Ctrl+Alt+F1 work to take you to Linux console ? Note that the link
    above says

Write a character to /proc/sysrq-trigger. e.g.:
    echo t > /proc/sysrq-trigger

so , even if you cannot type the REISUB sequence , if you can type in Linux console then something like the above may work. You can even make sure that
    you always have such a command already typed in so that you would only need
    to do Ctrl+Alt+F1 and then press <Enter> , assuming the system has not
    become so unresponsive to handle even these.

In order to see the keycodes emitted by keys you can try showkey (mentioned
    in a different post) or xev and see if some key in the new keyboard emits
    the same code as sysreq in the old keyboard.

Or you can try to figure out why the system freezes to begin with. This would be the ideal solution but , based on your description above , it may be hard
    to narrow it down.

I got the k400r as an alternative and it is, indeed, much more reliable in communicating with the machine. So the problem happens much less often. But when it did (for the first time) I found that the keyboard lacked a SysRq
    key label, and 'print screen' seemed not to work for a REISUB sequence. Had to get the 'old' keyboard and that did the trick.

So I can keep the old keyboard handy for when needed. But it would be
    better if I can suss how to get the new one to let me send the REISUB.

--
    vlaho.ninja/prog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05