• Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

From Jeff Gaines@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 27 17:12:13 2022
    On 27/03/2022 in message <MPG.3caaa556f85b8e079899c6@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
    wrote:

I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in >the
    hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) >"Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could >find
    online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with
    a
    clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a >paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get legal
    licenses
    at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?

Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party >applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows
    installation (I
    have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    .. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!), >which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

I have done recent "upgrades" with both Win7 & Win8 licences with no
    issues. It really is worth doing a clean install though.

--
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that
    was responsible went immediately.
    (Gordon Brown, April 2009)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 27 17:46:47 2022
    I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?

Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows installation (I have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
    .. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!), which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jaimie Vandenbergh@21:1/5 to PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid on Sun Mar 27 17:27:55 2022
    On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy" <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:

I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
    online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses

Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
    not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.

Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows installation (I
    .. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!), which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

You've done all the appropriate disk checking, and making a backup clone
    of the disk (which of course reads every file) and such already?

I always default to a blank reinstall, it saves everyone a vast amount
    of time.

Cheers - Jaimie
    --
    "Everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do."
    -- Steven Brust

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jaimie Vandenbergh@21:1/5 to jaimie@usually.sessile.org on Sun Mar 27 17:29:45 2022
    On 27 Mar 2022 at 18:27:55 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh" <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy" <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
    "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
    online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a >> clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a >> paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses

Also a' Win7 license that's been used like this seems to free up again
    after a while, it's the generated Win10 license that gets noted down at Microsoft's activation servers. So you can use it again, and it makes a *different* win10 license each time.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted"
    -- Bertrand Russell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 27 20:18:14 2022
    In article <jabl4rFkf7uU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
    online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
    clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses

Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows installation (I

You've done all the appropriate disk checking, and making a backup clone
    of the disk (which of course reads every file) and such already?

I always default to a blank reinstall, it saves everyone a vast amount
    of time.

Cheers - Jaimie

Yes - disk is 100% healthy according to HD Sentinel, and I have the original spinning disk which was cloned to a new SSD -also 100%.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 27 20:16:03 2022
    In article <xn0nfvgqr6y8ndm00l@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines wrote...

On 27/03/2022 in message <MPG.3caaa556f85b8e079899c6@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
    wrote:

I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in >the

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) >"Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could >find
    online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with >a
    clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a >paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get legal >licenses

Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party >applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows
    installation (I
    .. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!), >which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

I have done recent "upgrades" with both Win7 & Win8 licences with no
    issues. It really is worth doing a clean install though.

Thanks for this - I have identified the license key, so I'll give this a go. A clean install seems to be the only option - the seventh "upgrade" failed after a Windows Refresh. No explanation, no error code...

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sun Mar 27 21:06:29 2022
    Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
    Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10 installation with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines which had had
    their activation revoked, and I'd hate to leave my friend in that situation.

I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post: https://softwareking24.de/

Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece
    of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling
    on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows, Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).

I have no experience, but it sounds attractive.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 27 20:22:35 2022
    In article <jabl89FkfsqU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...

On 27 Mar 2022 at 18:27:55 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh" <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) >> "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
    clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
    paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses

after a while, it's the generated Win10 license that gets noted down at Microsoft's activation servers. So you can use it again, and it makes a *different* win10 license each time.

Cheers - Jaimie

Golly: Microsoft really are perhaps more generous than they might realise!

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Other John@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sun Mar 27 21:38:03 2022
    On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:46:47 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:

Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?

https://softwarebase.co.uk appear to be cheap and legal.

--
    TOJ.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Mon Mar 28 07:13:56 2022
    Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
    In article <jabl89FkfsqU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...

On 27 Mar 2022 at 18:27:55 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
    <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
    <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code) >>>> "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
    clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
    paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses

after a while, it's the generated Win10 license that gets noted down at
    Microsoft's activation servers. So you can use it again, and it makes a
    *different* win10 license each time.

Cheers - Jaimie

Golly: Microsoft really are perhaps more generous than they might realise!

They really don't care anymore. You can run unactivated win10 indefinitely. Some very minor functions are disabled, but that's it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 28 11:36:49 2022
    In article <bwE*XddKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo wrote...

Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10 installation
    with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always
    possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines which had had

I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post: https://softwareking24.de/

Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows, Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).

Theo

Much appreciated. Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that they don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing compliance is worth the effort. And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor is making a case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but wouldn't hold water in court for a nanosecond. That in turn may depend on the jurisdiction.

I'm apparently unable to resell my house without imposing the stern condition that the new owner MUST NOT erect any steam engines or detached outdoor privvies (honest!), though I'm in breach myself of the covenant which requires me to secure agreement for any new boundary fencing from a land agent which ceased to exist many decades ago, and before the present house was built.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 28 11:25:08 2022
    In article <t1qlfr$sf7$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John wrote...

Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?

Much appreciated.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 28 11:40:29 2022
    In article <t1qlfr$sf7$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John wrote...

Website's down at the moment!

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Mon Mar 28 13:07:08 2022

with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is >>> (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always

I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post:
    https://softwareking24.de/

Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first
    sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece >> of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling >> on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows, >> Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal >> (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap >> (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).

Theo

Much appreciated. Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that they don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing compliance is
    worth the effort. And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor is making a
    case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but wouldn't hold water in court for a nanosecond. That in turn may depend on the jurisdiction.

Tech is all about the platform these days so having more people with
    windows as their platform is more important that making sure they've all
    paid for it.

Obviously they're going to get as many to pay for it possible and deal
    withthe most egregious "thefts", but you or I with single personal copies?
    nah.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy@21:1/5 to Chris on Mon Mar 28 15:03:04 2022
    On 28/03/2022 14:07, Chris wrote:

with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is
    (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always

Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first
    sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece >>> of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling
    on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows, >>> Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal
    (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap
    (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).

Theo

Much appreciated. Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that they >> don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing compliance is
    worth the effort. And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor is making a
    case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but wouldn't hold >> water in court for a nanosecond. That in turn may depend on the jurisdiction.

paid for it.

Obviously they're going to get as many to pay for it possible and deal withthe most egregious "thefts", but you or I with single personal copies? nah.

Philip this from britec explains activation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ahhewn1Gw

If you look at some of his other videos on his channel he is sponsored
    by a license key seller and offers a discount code from britec which
    will get you discount on the purchase of a key.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy@21:1/5 to Andy on Mon Mar 28 15:16:13 2022
    On 28/03/2022 15:03, Andy wrote:

Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10
    installation
    with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug.  I guess
    no-one is
    (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount?  Of course it
    was always
    possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines
    which had had
    their activation revoked, and I'd hate to leave my friend in that
    situation.

Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine
    of first
    sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when
    a piece
    of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person
    selling
    on the licence later.  That means it's completely legit to sell on
    Windows,
    Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk
    licensing deal
    (perhaps with new hardware).  And so Software King resell licences
    for cheap
    (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).

Theo

Much appreciated.  Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that
    they
    don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing
    compliance is
    worth the effort.  And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor
    is making a
    case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but
    wouldn't hold
    water in court for a nanosecond.  That in turn may depend on the
    jurisdiction.

paid for it.

Obviously they're going to get as many to pay for it possible and deal
    withthe most egregious "thefts", but you or I with single personal
    copies?
    nah.

details of 30% discount here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJiUasbtUh4

Hope that helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Other John@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Mon Mar 28 18:41:51 2022
    On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:40:29 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:

Sorry, my mistake, the correct URL is https://softwarebase.uk there's
    no .co

--
    TOJ.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 11:12:55 2022
    In article <XOOdna_b84aGXdz_nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Andy wrote...

Thank you - very useful, and all salted away.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 11:32:35 2022
    In article <t1svhf$9jh$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John wrote...

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:40:29 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:

no .co

Thanks. Daft of them not to register the .co.uk version as well!

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Tue Mar 29 12:27:22 2022
    Philip Herlihy wrote:

The Other John wrote...

Philip Herlihy wrote:

no .co

Thanks. Daft of them not to register the .co.uk version as well!

the .uk and .co.uk are both registered, both seem to use the same domain registrar and DNS hosting, so probably the same owner, difficult to tell without
    proper WHOIS details nowadays

they both point to different IP addrs, one just shows a white cat in a snowstorm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05