• Advice on choosing a new Graphics card?

From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 25 20:35:23 2021
    I remember getting good advice from stalwarts in this group when I configured my current desktop - still completely meeting my needs after 9 years.

Until now. I've just bought an upgrade to some fancy architectural software**, which now sneers at my graphics adapter and won't do the 3D views I want. (The 2020 version was fine.)

I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a new graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming, and I can't think of what other ray-tracing applications I might potentially use, so anything much more than the £74 I spent on the upgrade will start to feel expensive. Any suggestions gratefully received for something I can simply plug in.

Here's the spec of my Dell Vostro 470:
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 28 °C
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM
    18.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0NW73C (CPU 1)
    Graphics
    DELL (Monitor) ST2320L (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (NVIDIA)

There's a crude photo of the motherboard here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlXNpaNwJ1cugdElnbBSAlqqCEyaxw?e=EY61Xu

... and the spec is here: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/dell-0nw73c-mainboard-specifications/

Unless I'm deceived, the existing graphics card is in the PCI Express x16 slot (164 pin). (You may sense I'm out of my comfort zone with this sort of thing...)

**That software: Home Designer Architectural. Allows you to design, fit and decorate buildings on-screen, then place a camera, and fly through a 3D rendering. It's utterly marvellous!
    --

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Thu Nov 25 21:17:02 2021
    Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:
    I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a new graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming, and I
    can't think of what other ray-tracing applications I might potentially use, so
    anything much more than the £74 I spent on the upgrade will start to feel expensive. Any suggestions gratefully received for something I can simply plug
    in.

The GPU market is in a complete mess because of supply chain issues and
    stock being bought up by miners. Every single NVIDIA card above the
    bottom-end GT1030 from 2017 is out of stock on Scan, for example (that card
    is roughly level with your budget, but I don't know if your application
    would be happy with something that basic).

See what you can actually buy and come back and ask if it's any good.
    (and be wary of used cards, because they may have been thrashed by miners)

Unless I'm deceived, the existing graphics card is in the PCI Express x16 slot
    (164 pin). (You may sense I'm out of my comfort zone with this sort of thing...)

Any PCIe GPU should be fine. It'll run slower if your mobo is only PCIe Gen
    1 or 2, but that's ok.

You will need to check your power supply can support the extra wattage and
    has extra PCIe power connectors if the GPU needs more than the motherboard
    can supply.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wasbit@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 26 09:29:13 2021
    "Philip Herlihy" <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote in message news:MPG.3c0a03e7fc458217989984@news.eternal-september.org...
    I remember getting good advice from stalwarts in this group when I
    configured
    my current desktop - still completely meeting my needs after 9 years.

Until now. I've just bought an upgrade to some fancy architectural software**,
    which now sneers at my graphics adapter and won't do the 3D views I want. (The
    2020 version was fine.)

I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a
    new
    graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming,
    and I
    can't think of what other ray-tracing applications I might potentially
    use, so
    anything much more than the £74 I spent on the upgrade will start to feel expensive. Any suggestions gratefully received for something I can simply plug
    in.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    RAM
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0NW73C (CPU 1)
    Graphics

There's a crude photo of the motherboard here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlXNpaNwJ1cugdElnbBSAlqqCEyaxw?e=EY61Xu

... and the spec is here: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/dell-0nw73c-mainboard-specifications/

(164 pin). (You may sense I'm out of my comfort zone with this sort of thing...)

**That software: Home Designer Architectural. Allows you to design, fit
    and
    decorate buildings on-screen, then place a camera, and fly through a 3D rendering. It's utterly marvellous!

The system requirements for Home Designer Architectural are here
    - https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/system-requirements.html

PC Minimum1

Windows 10 / 11 64-bit
    8 GB of RAM
    Video Card2
    2 GB of RAM
    DirectX 123
    5 GB of available hard disk space
    Internet access4

PC Recommended

32 GB of RAM
    512 GB SSD
    PC
    Desktops:
    Intel i9 / AMD Ryzen 5000
    8 GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 / AMD Radeon RX6800
    Laptops:
    Minimum 15" screen
    Intel i7
    8 GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

--
    Regards
    wasbit

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to wasbit on Fri Nov 26 10:22:39 2021
    On 26 Nov 2021 at 09:29:13 GMT, ""wasbit"" <wasbitremove@hotmail.com> wrote:

"Philip Herlihy" <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote in message news:MPG.3c0a03e7fc458217989984@news.eternal-september.org...
    I remember getting good advice from stalwarts in this group when I
    configured

Until now. I've just bought an upgrade to some fancy architectural
    software**,
    which now sneers at my graphics adapter and won't do the 3D views I want.
    (The
    2020 version was fine.)

I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a
    new
    graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming,
    and I
    can't think of what other ray-tracing applications I might potentially
    use, so
    anything much more than the £74 I spent on the upgrade will start to feel >> expensive. Any suggestions gratefully received for something I can simply >> plug
    in.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    RAM
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0NW73C (CPU 1)
    Graphics

There's a crude photo of the motherboard here:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlXNpaNwJ1cugdElnbBSAlqqCEyaxw?e=EY61Xu

... and the spec is here:
    http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/dell-0nw73c-mainboard-specifications/

Unless I'm deceived, the existing graphics card is in the PCI Express x16
    slot
    (164 pin). (You may sense I'm out of my comfort zone with this sort of
    thing...)

**That software: Home Designer Architectural. Allows you to design, fit
    and
    decorate buildings on-screen, then place a camera, and fly through a 3D
    rendering. It's utterly marvellous!

The system requirements for Home Designer Architectural are here
    - https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/system-requirements.html

PC Minimum1

Windows 10 / 11 64-bit
    8 GB of RAM
    Video Card2
    2 GB of RAM
    DirectX 123
    5 GB of available hard disk space
    Internet access4

So, on-chip Skylake or later.

PC Recommended

32 GB of RAM
    512 GB SSD
    PC
    Desktops:
    Laptops:
    Minimum 15" screen
    Intel i7

1000 UKP+ of video card there - if you can find one. Quite a difference in requirements between minimum and recommended.

--
    Cheers, Rob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 26 12:16:53 2021
    In article <cPf*t9-zy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...
    See what you can actually buy and come back and ask if it's any good.
    (and be wary of used cards, because they may have been thrashed by miners)

Thanks to Theo, wasbit and RJH for helpful replies. I'm really out of my depth with all this!

I've done some digging, and following the link in the Home Designer error dialogue leads to a stated requirement for DirectX 12 and Shader model 6. My existing graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 640) *does* meet both of these, as reported by the application itself. However, it doesn't have the 2GB of dedicated video memory. I guess that's the problem. The 2020 version still works fine; rendering isn't quick at all, but we really don't need it to be.

One of the (comprehensive) Support pages has an example screenshot showing a GTX 1050 Ti in use, and shown as meeting minimum requirements. https://bit.ly/3nS6qmT

Aria.co.uk have a 1050Ti for £191.99. If this PC was upgradeable to W11, I might well have gone for this, but it won't be, so it's appropriate to minimise upgrade spending. They also have a GT1030 card for £86.99, and I'm thinking that might be enough.
    https://bit.ly/3ld1S9c

There are 2GB GT 730 cards out there from £57.98, but I figure those few more quid is probably well-spent. (Until a new version demands 4GB, but by then I'll be looking for a replacement desktop for W11).

Does that make sense? Is it worth paying a little more for a DDR5 card instead of DDR4? The PC memory is DDR3.

As ever, grateful for the expertise and goodwill I find in this group.
    --

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to RJH on Fri Nov 26 13:51:31 2021
    RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

PC Recommended

32 GB of RAM
    512 GB SSD
    PC
    Desktops:
    Laptops:
    Minimum 15" screen
    Intel i7

1000 UKP+ of video card there - if you can find one. Quite a difference in requirements between minimum and recommended.

Those specs are a bit ridiculous IMHO. If it was an open-world first-person shooter with fog and trees and fancy lighting and 120Hz 4K display, maybe.
    But I don't imagine you're going to be shooting aliens in your kitchen.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Fri Nov 26 14:24:44 2021
    I remember getting good advice from stalwarts in this group when I configured my current desktop - still completely meeting my needs after 9 years.

2020 version was fine.)

I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a new graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming, and I
    in.

For that amount of money you're unlikely to find anything. The graphics
    market is awful at the moment with astronomical prices caused by huge
    demand and lack of supply.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    RAM
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0NW73C (CPU 1)
    Graphics

The current generation of nVidia cards are the RTX 30 series but are way
    out of your budget.

I'd go for a 10 series if you can find any stock. A GTX 1050ti would be a
    very decent upgrade for you. On ebay you might be able to find a GTX 950 or
    960 within your budget.

One thing to watch is the physical size of the card, you need to check if
    it'll fit in the case, and also the grunt of your power supply.

**That software: Home Designer Architectural. Allows you to design, fit and decorate buildings on-screen, then place a camera, and fly through a 3D rendering. It's utterly marvellous!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 26 17:08:23 2021
    In article <snqqnc$cl6$1@dont-email.me>, ithinkiam@gmail.com says...

I remember getting good advice from stalwarts in this group when I configured

2020 version was fine.)

I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a new
    graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming, and I
    in.

I'd go for a 10 series if you can find any stock. A GTX 1050ti would be a very decent upgrade for you. On ebay you might be able to find a GTX 950 or 960 within your budget.

One thing to watch is the physical size of the card, you need to check if it'll fit in the case, and also the grunt of your power supply.

Thanks, Chris. I had zoomed-in on cards in that sort of range, and I'm glad to hear that the 1050Ti would be a decent upgrade. (I've registered the need to look at profile, and power.) However, I'll only use it for this one application; I don't need great performance, as the rendering is only done every now and than and if it takes 25 seconds instead of 5 that really won't matter, and it goes against the grain to splash out on a machine that'll be junk in the foreseeable future (gee, thanks, Microsoft). So do you think a 1030 would do the job?

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Fri Nov 26 19:46:23 2021
    In article <snqqnc$cl6$1@dont-email.me>, ithinkiam@gmail.com says...

I remember getting good advice from stalwarts in this group when I configured

2020 version was fine.)

I guess I could ask for a refund, but maybe after 9 years I should get a new
    graphics card? What would you recommend? I've zero interest in gaming, and I
    anything much more than the £74 I spent on the upgrade will start to feel >>> expensive. Any suggestions gratefully received for something I can simply plug
    in.

I'd go for a 10 series if you can find any stock. A GTX 1050ti would be a
    very decent upgrade for you. On ebay you might be able to find a GTX 950 or >> 960 within your budget.

One thing to watch is the physical size of the card, you need to check if
    it'll fit in the case, and also the grunt of your power supply.

Thanks, Chris. I had zoomed-in on cards in that sort of range, and I'm glad to
    hear that the 1050Ti would be a decent upgrade. (I've registered the need to look at profile, and power.) However, I'll only use it for this one application; I don't need great performance, as the rendering is only done every now and than and if it takes 25 seconds instead of 5 that really won't matter, and it goes against the grain to splash out on a machine that'll be junk in the foreseeable future (gee, thanks, Microsoft). So do you think a 1030
    would do the job?

I really don't know. nVidia normally have x60, x70, x80 spec cards within
    each series. Having an x50 is unusual and an x30 must be really cut down. I would avoid it, I think.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Chris on Fri Nov 26 21:26:12 2021
    Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
    Thanks, Chris. I had zoomed-in on cards in that sort of range, and I'm glad to hear that the 1050Ti would be a decent upgrade. (I've
    registered the need to look at profile, and power.) However, I'll only
    use it for this one application; I don't need great performance, as the rendering is only done every now and than and if it takes 25 seconds instead of 5 that really won't matter, and it goes against the grain to splash out on a machine that'll be junk in the foreseeable future (gee, thanks, Microsoft). So do you think a 1030 would do the job?

I really don't know. nVidia normally have x60, x70, x80 spec cards within each series. Having an x50 is unusual and an x30 must be really cut down. I would avoid it, I think.

Those sort of cards are basically for people who want to connect more
    monitors to their computer, rather than any rendering prowess. Here's the
    10 series comparison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_10_series

Note how the 1030 is 384 cores and 2GB RAM, while the specs rapidly go up
    from there (GTX1050 640/768 cores and 2-4GB RAM, GTX1070 1920 cores and 8GB RAM). And that series was released in *2016*, so is now 5 years old - they just recycle crippled older chips as 'budget' cards.

A 1030 should *work*, but expect 1 FPS in fancy games. Which perhaps won't matter if all you're doing is rendering some video overnight. It'll also be
    at the bottom end of the memory range so you might have to scale down
    quality to reduce the amount of resources (textures etc) in memory.

Also to note that lower end cards are limited in their outputs - at some
    point you had to go up to a *50 to get Displayport, for example. I haven't checked the 1030.

Ordinarily I'd suggest going with a used card from a previous generation,
    but it's a bit risky with ex-mining cards being sold off, as some of those
    are worn out through being hammered 24/7. If you know anyone selling off a card you know hasn't been used for mining, that could be a good option.
    If you go too old you start dropping off the support lifetime, so I'd check what DirectX version a card supports.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 27 06:06:07 2021
    On 26 Nov 2021 at 21:26:12 GMT, "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

Thanks, Chris. I had zoomed-in on cards in that sort of range, and I'm
    glad to hear that the 1050Ti would be a decent upgrade. (I've
    use it for this one application; I don't need great performance, as the
    rendering is only done every now and than and if it takes 25 seconds
    instead of 5 that really won't matter, and it goes against the grain to
    splash out on a machine that'll be junk in the foreseeable future (gee,
    thanks, Microsoft). So do you think a 1030 would do the job?

each series. Having an x50 is unusual and an x30 must be really cut down. I >> would avoid it, I think.

Those sort of cards are basically for people who want to connect more monitors to their computer, rather than any rendering prowess. Here's the
    10 series comparison:

Note how the 1030 is 384 cores and 2GB RAM, while the specs rapidly go up from there (GTX1050 640/768 cores and 2-4GB RAM, GTX1070 1920 cores and 8GB RAM). And that series was released in *2016*, so is now 5 years old - they just recycle crippled older chips as 'budget' cards.

A 1030 should *work*, but expect 1 FPS in fancy games. Which perhaps won't matter if all you're doing is rendering some video overnight. It'll also be at the bottom end of the memory range so you might have to scale down

I wonder if the OP could drop a Skylake or later graphics-equipped CPU in?

I rather generously gifted my GTX 780 graphics card to my nephew at the start of lockdown, leaving me with the on-chip graphics of my i3 6100 3.7 CPU. I haven't missed the 780 at all - but then I only play the occasional 20+ year old games on the PC (I've a PS4 for when I can be bothered). I did try Doom 2016 just to see - and it did actually run on low settings. Not pretty, but it did run . . .
    --
    Cheers, Rob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to RJH on Sat Nov 27 09:08:16 2021

That would be new PC time. The motherboard won't support a newer CPU, so
    you need a new mobo. Then Skylake won't support DDR3 so you need new RAM.
    Then I don't know if the Dell has one of those non-standard cases they like where the power supply is wired in a strange way and the PCI cards are in a different place, which might mean a new case and/or a new PSU.

That said, Ivy Bridge is pretty long in the tooth and it might not make
    sense to throw money at an old PC. So if a newer one were to turn up on the used market it might not be a terrible idea.

I rather generously gifted my GTX 780 graphics card to my nephew at the start of lockdown, leaving me with the on-chip graphics of my i3 6100 3.7 CPU. I haven't missed the 780 at all - but then I only play the occasional 20+ year old games on the PC (I've a PS4 for when I can be bothered). I did try Doom 2016 just to see - and it did actually run on low settings. Not pretty, but it
    did run . . .

I would expect even a GT 1030 to have better graphics performance than Intel integrated graphics, although Intel Xe graphics on the current Tiger Lake
    CPUs is a big improvement.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 27 13:50:39 2021
    In article <aPf*G1hAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

That would be new PC time. The motherboard won't support a newer CPU, so
    you need a new mobo. Then Skylake won't support DDR3 so you need new RAM. Then I don't know if the Dell has one of those non-standard cases they like where the power supply is wired in a strange way and the PCI cards are in a different place, which might mean a new case and/or a new PSU.

That said, Ivy Bridge is pretty long in the tooth and it might not make
    sense to throw money at an old PC. So if a newer one were to turn up on the used market it might not be a terrible idea.

I rather generously gifted my GTX 780 graphics card to my nephew at the start
    of lockdown, leaving me with the on-chip graphics of my i3 6100 3.7 CPU. I haven't missed the 780 at all - but then I only play the occasional 20+ year
    old games on the PC (I've a PS4 for when I can be bothered). I did try Doom 2016 just to see - and it did actually run on low settings. Not pretty, but it
    did run . . .

I would expect even a GT 1030 to have better graphics performance than Intel integrated graphics, although Intel Xe graphics on the current Tiger Lake CPUs is a big improvement.

Theo

Thanks everyone, once again. The gist of replies is that the 1030 is a bit weedy for any significant rendering - which is not what I'd hoped to hear. The 1050Ti is almost £200, and I think that money would be better put towards a new
    machine in a couple of years, given that the 2020 version of the software runs fine on my existing GT 640. I've had a response from customer service (I'd floated the idea of a refund) and they want me to talk to support (Monday now) so I'll follow that up and see what they suggest. They've offered to add the 2021 version to my 'Key' to see if that runs, and I might try that.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sat Nov 27 14:08:56 2021
    Thanks everyone, once again. The gist of replies is that the 1030 is a bit weedy for any significant rendering - which is not what I'd hoped to hear. The
    1050Ti is almost £200, and I think that money would be better put towards a new
    machine in a couple of years, given that the 2020 version of the software runs
    fine on my existing GT 640. I've had a response from customer service (I'd floated the idea of a refund) and they want me to talk to support (Monday now)
    so I'll follow that up and see what they suggest. They've offered to add the 2021 version to my 'Key' to see if that runs, and I might try that.

Sounds fair. One thing you could do is seek out forums for this particular software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote
    seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does.

I see they're recommending RTX cards for the realtime ray tracing features, which is fair enough, but it's quite possible you can still make use of the program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an
    architect using the program all day for professional purposes, for whom time
    is money and spending a few hundred on hardware is nothing.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Theo on Sat Nov 27 13:58:27 2021
    Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    Thanks, Chris. I had zoomed-in on cards in that sort of range, and I'm
    glad to hear that the 1050Ti would be a decent upgrade. (I've
    use it for this one application; I don't need great performance, as the
    rendering is only done every now and than and if it takes 25 seconds
    instead of 5 that really won't matter, and it goes against the grain to
    splash out on a machine that'll be junk in the foreseeable future (gee,
    thanks, Microsoft). So do you think a 1030 would do the job?

each series. Having an x50 is unusual and an x30 must be really cut down. I >> would avoid it, I think.

Those sort of cards are basically for people who want to connect more monitors to their computer, rather than any rendering prowess. Here's the
    10 series comparison:

Note how the 1030 is 384 cores and 2GB RAM, while the specs rapidly go up from there (GTX1050 640/768 cores and 2-4GB RAM, GTX1070 1920 cores and 8GB RAM). And that series was released in *2016*, so is now 5 years old - they just recycle crippled older chips as 'budget' cards.

A 1030 should *work*, but expect 1 FPS in fancy games. Which perhaps won't matter if all you're doing is rendering some video overnight. It'll also be at the bottom end of the memory range so you might have to scale down

Also to note that lower end cards are limited in their outputs - at some point you had to go up to a *50 to get Displayport, for example. I haven't checked the 1030.

Ordinarily I'd suggest going with a used card from a previous generation,
    but it's a bit risky with ex-mining cards being sold off, as some of those are worn out through being hammered 24/7.

Actually it's not that risky. Although, they will have been run
    continuously they tend to underclock them a bit to increase stability and a good setup will have thorough cooling. Borderline cards will fail early so
    a card that's been used for a while could be a decent buy.

I'd be interested in buying one but they're still really expensive.

If you know anyone selling off a
    card you know hasn't been used for mining, that could be a good option.
    If you go too old you start dropping off the support lifetime, so I'd check what DirectX version a card supports.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Chris on Sat Nov 27 15:24:22 2021
    [buying ex-mining GPUs]
    continuously they tend to underclock them a bit to increase stability and a good setup will have thorough cooling. Borderline cards will fail early so
    a card that's been used for a while could be a decent buy.

Thing is you don't know what life it's lead, and whether it's still
    functional. It could 'work' but be glitchy or unstable under load, for example, or have memory errors. Since the vendor is unlikely to offer you a warranty, it's hard to test for these things and you don't get much comeback
    if it's anything other than DOA.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Theo on Sat Nov 27 20:14:29 2021
    Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    [buying ex-mining GPUs]
    continuously they tend to underclock them a bit to increase stability and a >> good setup will have thorough cooling. Borderline cards will fail early so >> a card that's been used for a while could be a decent buy.

Thing is you don't know what life it's lead, and whether it's still functional. It could 'work' but be glitchy or unstable under load, for example, or have memory errors. Since the vendor is unlikely to offer you a warranty, it's hard to test for these things and you don't get much comeback if it's anything other than DOA.

ebay are very good at giving your money back if the product doesn't match
    the description. In fact from some sellers I've heard it's too good so fraudsters claim a perfectly good item is faulty and ebay give them the
    money back no questions asked.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 29 13:00:20 2021
    In article <aPf*+7iAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

Thanks everyone, once again. The gist of replies is that the 1030 is a bit weedy for any significant rendering - which is not what I'd hoped to hear. The
    fine on my existing GT 640. I've had a response from customer service (I'd floated the idea of a refund) and they want me to talk to support (Monday now)
    so I'll follow that up and see what they suggest. They've offered to add the
    2021 version to my 'Key' to see if that runs, and I might try that.

Sounds fair. One thing you could do is seek out forums for this particular software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does.

I see they're recommending RTX cards for the realtime ray tracing features, which is fair enough, but it's quite possible you can still make use of the program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an architect using the program all day for professional purposes, for whom time is money and spending a few hundred on hardware is nothing.

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 3 19:33:38 2021
    In article <MPG.3c0edf37d091abe5989988@news.eternal-september.org>, thiswillbounceback@you.com says...

In article <aPf*+7iAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

Thanks everyone, once again. The gist of replies is that the 1030 is a bit
    weedy for any significant rendering - which is not what I'd hoped to hear. The
    fine on my existing GT 640. I've had a response from customer service (I'd
    floated the idea of a refund) and they want me to talk to support (Monday now)

Sounds fair. One thing you could do is seek out forums for this particular software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does.

I see they're recommending RTX cards for the realtime ray tracing features, which is fair enough, but it's quite possible you can still make use of the program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an architect using the program all day for professional purposes, for whom time

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

There wasn't much on the user forums, surprisingly (before my update tonight). Support were helpful, though. Apparently it's a major upgrade in terms of 3D rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add more twiddles to your design. So I've just ordered a GTX 1050 Ti at £215 from Amazon. Prices are clearly soaring (even for a relatively old card like this) and availability is very, very thin.

No excuses now, I have to design that extension...

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sat Dec 4 09:32:29 2021
    There wasn't much on the user forums, surprisingly (before my update tonight).
    Support were helpful, though. Apparently it's a major upgrade in terms of 3D rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add more twiddles to your design. So I've just ordered a GTX 1050 Ti at £215 from
    Amazon. Prices are clearly soaring (even for a relatively old card like this)
    and availability is very, very thin.

Hope that does the trick. Sadly the GPU market is a complete mess - sooner there's a crash in crypto prices the better, IMHO.

How do you find that software, by the way? I've seen various similar, but
    I'm wondering what they do beyond simply a bit of floorplanning and 3D rendering. Will they help with, say, load calculations or where to run services? Will it generate drawings sufficient for submitting for planning,
    or do you still need to pay someone to do that?

(I suppose people like renders on planning applications these days...)

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 4 13:58:49 2021
    In article <bPf*R1SAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

Support were helpful, though. Apparently it's a major upgrade in terms of 3D
    rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add
    more twiddles to your design. So I've just ordered a GTX 1050 Ti at £215 from

Hope that does the trick. Sadly the GPU market is a complete mess - sooner there's a crash in crypto prices the better, IMHO.

How do you find that software, by the way? I've seen various similar, but I'm wondering what they do beyond simply a bit of floorplanning and 3D rendering. Will they help with, say, load calculations or where to run services? Will it generate drawings sufficient for submitting for planning, or do you still need to pay someone to do that?

(I suppose people like renders on planning applications these days...)

Theo

I'm really impressed with it, and I certainly haven't seen anything to touch it, outside what our architect used. Our refurbishment + extra floor project is complex, and (frankly) a bit challenging for our limited experience. It's a large detached (currently 3-bed) house, and there are simply so many possible options for what we could do with it that the choice has boiled down either to engage an interior designer and just hand them design control, or attempt to specify what we want in this extensive project. We're going for the latter - this is to be our forever home. Home Designer has already helped us avoid what could have been ghastly design mistakes: at one point we were more or less settled on a slightly unconvential layout for the master bedroom, which looked fine in the 2D plans, but once rendered into a "live" 3D representation we both said "Heavens: NO!" within two seconds of the first moment of rendering.

Have a look at the "Time Lapse" shown on the Home Page - about 3 minutes. https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/

"Home Designer" is from the stable of "Chief Architect" which is a much more expensive package squarely aimed at the professional market. HD comes in several offerings, all for the amateur/DIY market, quite neatly segmented into price points with different levels of capability. We've gone for the "Architectural" version, having started (a few years ago) with a now-defunct version focused mainly on interior design. For what you get it's not that expensive, though the latest upgrade has brought the hardware upgrade cost described above. The previous version (2001) runs happily on my 12-year-old PC, though I guess rendering would slow as we add more detail. I think the GPU-intensive rendering only takes place when "compiling" the 3D views, which then whizz about responsively, so I think Chief Architect may need to have another look at their marketing - I'm a fan, but if they want a presence in the lower segments of the overall market they may need to maintain a less processing-hungry offering or it may not sell.

As for whether HD will generate drawings suitable for planning applications - we've relied on professionals for this, as our project *definitely* isn't "permitted development" and we only got permission at the sixth application, and with the aid of a planning consultant. But I think it would be perfectly possible to create drawings acceptable to planners (though this may depend on the version). It can create service layouts but I haven't seen anything that suggests it'll do load calculations. We have 23 pages of mathematics sent to us by our Structural Engineer, and I think that sort of thing is best left to qualified professionals. Our experience generally is that the local planning authority will make arbitrary demands and decisions faced only with a householder or even an architect; it took someone with specific "planning" knowledge (beyond that even of our architect) to get them to sign off on what's actually an inoffensive project. (Meanwhile, they spend their time thudding vast and hideous tower blocks on every square foot of space they can find - but that's another story.)

If you're at the early stages of any new home project, you might also be interested in this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dirkfarin.imagemeterpro

It's an (Android) app (IOS?) which allows you to annotate photos with measurements, which it can capture from a bluetooth-enabled laser measure. One of the best and most useful apps on my mobile.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sat Dec 4 14:10:00 2021
    In article <MPG.3c0edf37d091abe5989988@news.eternal-september.org>, thiswillbounceback@you.com says...

In article <aPf*+7iAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

Sounds fair. One thing you could do is seek out forums for this particular >>> software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote >>> seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does.

I see they're recommending RTX cards for the realtime ray tracing features, >>> which is fair enough, but it's quite possible you can still make use of the >>> program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the
    resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the
    software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

Support were helpful, though. Apparently it's a major upgrade in terms of 3D rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add more twiddles to your design. So I've just ordered a GTX 1050 Ti at £215 from

Good luck with it. I've been waiting over a year for a £200 card to improve
    on my current 1060...

Can you do mine as well please? ;)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 4 14:28:57 2021
    In article <sofsro$dll$1@dont-email.me>, ithinkiam@gmail.com says...

Sounds fair. One thing you could do is seek out forums for this particular
    software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote >>> seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does.

I see they're recommending RTX cards for the realtime ray tracing features,
    which is fair enough, but it's quite possible you can still make use of the
    program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the >>> resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the >> software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add

Good luck with it. I've been waiting over a year for a £200 card to improve on my current 1060...

As far as I can see the 1050Ti may be a better card than the 1060? The former has only 3GB of RAM compared with 4GB for the 1050Ti, but I'm no expert in these things!

I rather think I'd find doing yours easier than doing mine! (Too much at stake!). One thing I would say is that getting expert advice (architect) made a *vast* difference. Our original contractor (high-end interior designer with a stable of preferred trades) did a "design" for us which we thought clearly inadequate - it used only a fraction of the space, and the positioning of the staircase was highly questionable. Much to his chagrin, we brought in 'specialist' loft conversion contractors to quote, but even they seemed to want to drop standard solutions onto what's quite a big roof space. Eventually we went to a local architect, and the difference was worth every penny - a really striking, imaginative design. But of course that was what led to the battles with the planners...

By the way, this thread surely can't be OT if the group is called "homebuilt"!

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sat Dec 4 18:00:28 2021

In article <MPG.3c0edf37d091abe5989988@news.eternal-september.org>,
    thiswillbounceback@you.com says...

2021 version to my 'Key' to see if that runs, and I might try that. >>>>>
    software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote >>>>> seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does. >>>>>
    program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the >>>>> resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an >>>>> architect using the program all day for professional purposes, for whom time

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the >>>> software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB
    graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card >>> will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add

Good luck with it. I've been waiting over a year for a £200 card to improve >> on my current 1060...

As far as I can see the 1050Ti may be a better card than the 1060? The former
    has only 3GB of RAM compared with 4GB for the 1050Ti, but I'm no expert in these things!

It may be, but not enough to warrant the expense. I had my eye on a 1660
    card last year, but thought it too expensive at ~£250...

I rather think I'd find doing yours easier than doing mine! (Too much at stake!). One thing I would say is that getting expert advice (architect) made
    a *vast* difference. Our original contractor (high-end interior designer with
    a stable of preferred trades) did a "design" for us which we thought clearly inadequate - it used only a fraction of the space, and the positioning of the staircase was highly questionable. Much to his chagrin, we brought in 'specialist' loft conversion contractors to quote, but even they seemed to want
    to drop standard solutions onto what's quite a big roof space. Eventually we went to a local architect, and the difference was worth every penny - a really
    striking, imaginative design. But of course that was what led to the battles with the planners...

Not even there yet. We're still at the agreeing with SO regarding plans
    stage.

heh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 5 11:06:40 2021
    In article <sogabs$du3$1@dont-email.me>, ithinkiam@gmail.com says...

2021 version to my 'Key' to see if that runs, and I might try that. >>>>>
    software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote
    seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does. >>>>>
    program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the >>>>> resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an >>>>> architect using the program all day for professional purposes, for whom time

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the >>>> software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB >>> graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card
    will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add

on my current 1060...

has only 3GB of RAM compared with 4GB for the 1050Ti, but I'm no expert in these things!

I rather think I'd find doing yours easier than doing mine! (Too much at stake!). One thing I would say is that getting expert advice (architect) made
    a stable of preferred trades) did a "design" for us which we thought clearly
    inadequate - it used only a fraction of the space, and the positioning of the
    staircase was highly questionable. Much to his chagrin, we brought in 'specialist' loft conversion contractors to quote, but even they seemed to want
    to drop standard solutions onto what's quite a big roof space. Eventually we
    went to a local architect, and the difference was worth every penny - a really
    striking, imaginative design. But of course that was what led to the battles
    with the planners...

Not even there yet. We're still at the agreeing with SO regarding plans stage.

heh

I checked the Home Designer website, and they don't seem to be offering older versions (2021 was the last one which would run on my 12-year-old Dell with a GT 640). That may be a marketing mistake. Otherwise, I'd encourage you to give it a try (you can still play with a trial download, but you won't get 3D rendering without a 2GB DirectX12 graphics card). Otherwise, for getting ideas these shows around the UK are very useful, and you can get good advice from the one-to-one adviser sessions. https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/news/homebuilding-and-renovating-show

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Sun Dec 5 12:03:19 2021
    In article <sogabs$du3$1@dont-email.me>, ithinkiam@gmail.com says...

2021 version to my 'Key' to see if that runs, and I might try that. >>>>>>>
    software and see what users recommend in real life. The specs they quote
    seem somewhat excessive for what it seems the program actually does. >>>>>>>
    program by just skipping a few of the whizzy features, downscaling the >>>>>>> resolution or running renders overnight. Especially if you're not an >>>>>>> architect using the program all day for professional purposes, for whom time

Theo

Certainly performance hasn't been an issue on the earlier version of the >>>>>> software. I'll check the user forums - thanks for the reminder.

rendering, and the minimum spec is DirectX 12, Shader Model 6, and 2 GB >>>>> graphics memory, or the 3D rendering is simply disabled. That is likely to hit
    a lot of people purchasing or upgrading, I figure. They said the 1030 card
    will just about do it, but with rapidly deteriorating performance as you add

on my current 1060...

has only 3GB of RAM compared with 4GB for the 1050Ti, but I'm no expert in >>> these things!

I rather think I'd find doing yours easier than doing mine! (Too much at >>> stake!). One thing I would say is that getting expert advice (architect) made
    a stable of preferred trades) did a "design" for us which we thought clearly
    inadequate - it used only a fraction of the space, and the positioning of the
    staircase was highly questionable. Much to his chagrin, we brought in
    'specialist' loft conversion contractors to quote, but even they seemed to want
    to drop standard solutions onto what's quite a big roof space. Eventually we
    went to a local architect, and the difference was worth every penny - a really
    striking, imaginative design. But of course that was what led to the battles
    with the planners...

Not even there yet. We're still at the agreeing with SO regarding plans
    stage.

heh

I checked the Home Designer website, and they don't seem to be offering older versions (2021 was the last one which would run on my 12-year-old Dell with a GT 640). That may be a marketing mistake. Otherwise, I'd encourage you to give it a try (you can still play with a trial download, but you won't get 3D rendering without a 2GB DirectX12 graphics card). Otherwise, for getting ideas
    these shows around the UK are very useful, and you can get good advice from the
    one-to-one adviser sessions. https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/news/homebuilding-and-renovating-show

Thanks for the tip. Sadly they're not coming north of the border until
    2023!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jaimie Vandenbergh@21:1/5 to thiswillbounceback@you.com on Mon Dec 6 13:42:01 2021
    On 4 Dec 2021 at 14:28:57 GMT, "Philip Herlihy"
    <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

Given you're doing this to avoid potential costly mistakes in building
    work that's going to run you many many thousands of pounds, why not just reframe the costs as putting 0.5% of your budget into prep? I bet you're putting much more into other less necessary things.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
    "The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean
    by infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity."
    -- Voltaire

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 7 11:22:08 2021
    In article <j16i99F6aa3U1@mid.individual.net>, jaimie@usually.sessile.org says...

On 4 Dec 2021 at 14:28:57 GMT, "Philip Herlihy"
    <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

Given you're doing this to avoid potential costly mistakes in building
    work that's going to run you many many thousands of pounds, why not just reframe the costs as putting 0.5% of your budget into prep? I bet you're putting much more into other less necessary things.

Cheers - Jaimie

Just how I saw it in the end. The 1050 Ti arrived yesterday, and I'll fit it tomorrow.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05