• SD card drive unrecognised except directly after reboot

From Terry Pinnell@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 15 16:41:33 2021
    Years since I ever needed to work with an SD card. (It's possible I never have done so on this 6 year old PC.) But I now find that it is not recognised anywhere (File Explorer, Disk Management, Device Manager) ... except directly after a reset.

IOW, if I place it in its front panel port, Shut Down > Restart, then its drive F: is opened and I can work with its contents. But if I then remove it and return it or replace with any other SD card, then it's as if it doesn't exist any more.

This is Win 10 20H2 (19042.1348, the latest update available to me).

Terry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Terry Pinnell on Mon Nov 15 21:10:17 2021
    Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
    IOW, if I place it in its front panel port, Shut Down > Restart, then its drive
    F: is opened and I can work with its contents. But if I then remove it and return it or replace with any other SD card, then it's as if it doesn't exist any more.

It's quite common for SD card hotplug on USB adapters to not work correctly. The solution is to unplug the USB connection once the SD card has been replaced, causing a USB hotplug rather than an SD card one. I suppose
    that's a bit difficult if it's mounted in a front panel bay...

Try another SD card reader?

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Terry Pinnell@21:1/5 to Theo on Tue Nov 16 09:48:31 2021
    Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

IOW, if I place it in its front panel port, Shut Down > Restart, then its drive
    F: is opened and I can work with its contents. But if I then remove it and >> return it or replace with any other SD card, then it's as if it doesn't exist
    any more.

It's quite common for SD card hotplug on USB adapters to not work correctly. >The solution is to unplug the USB connection once the SD card has been >replaced, causing a USB hotplug rather than an SD card one. I suppose
    that's a bit difficult if it's mounted in a front panel bay...

Try another SD card reader?

Theo

Thanks Theo. Coming regretfully to the conclusion that it's a long standing hw issue of the kind you describe. Maybe I've *never* had to use it until now, years on. Not skilled enough to attempt accessing it inside the case. Guess I'll
    have to order an external SD reader.

Terry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Terry Pinnell on Tue Nov 16 21:13:21 2021
    Thanks Theo. Coming regretfully to the conclusion that it's a long standing hw
    issue of the kind you describe. Maybe I've *never* had to use it until now, years on. Not skilled enough to attempt accessing it inside the case. Guess I'll
    have to order an external SD reader.

Another thought: it's not a micro SD in an adapter, is it? If you pull the micro SD but leave the adapter in place, the reader doesn't see a hotplug
    event because the adapter never moved (there's a detection switch inside the reader, although not all of them wire it up). If you pull the adapter and
    swap over the micro SD before putting it back, that will trip the detection switch and hopefully cause a hotplug event.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05