• Hosting (again)

From Jeff Gaines@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 18 15:48:56 2024
    In between re-installing PCs I tried to move my hosting from Heart
    Internet to Mythic Beasts a couple of weeks ago, so far it has been a
    disaster.

I opened a ticket with Heart, set out what I wanted to do and asked how to
    do it. I had a couple of replies which didn't seem to have much relevance
    to my question then they stopped replying to the tickets. In the meantime
    they have taken payment for the renewal. Apparently they are now part of a group that includes Go Daddy, don't know if that is good or bad.

I also contacted Mythic Beasts by email and they pointed me to an
    instruction page which said I needed to go to my Heart control panel and
    point various settings to my Mythic Beasts account. They have been very
    patient but I have no idea what I'm doing and it strikes me I could
    completely screw it, up but they don't seem to offer any other option.

I need to get away from Heart but it needs to be to somebody who will deal
    with the transfer for me. On that basis any suggestions? I need 3 x
    domains hosted but I'm not bothered by a website so email hosting is sufficient.

--
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Jeff Gaines on Thu Jan 18 16:32:10 2024
    Jeff Gaines wrote:

I need to get away from Heart

All you need Heart to do, is change
    the IPSTAG on your domain to "MYTHIC-BEASTS"

That doesn't alter anything immediately, but it allows you to "pull" the
    domain over to MB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 18 17:23:20 2024
    In article <l0t24aFi58aU4@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns wrote...

Jeff Gaines wrote:

That doesn't alter anything immediately, but it allows you to "pull" the domain over to MB

I had to look that up (Nominet does things its own way): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Provider_Security

You can, of course, have a domain registered with one registrar/host and served by another. The easiest way is to look up the nameservers on your preferred host (Mythic Beasts in your case) and edit the settings on the current domain registrar to use those. That means every lookup, whether web or email (or whatever) is directed immediately to Mythic Beasts, just as if you'd registered the domain with them. It's a quick fix which should work quickly, and globally within 24 hours. I do this when my excellent small ISP (Liquidsix) doesn't happen to offer the registration of esoteric top-level domains, but I still want to host with them.

You could also change the MX record in the Heart DNS records to point to Mythic Beasts, but the nameserver change has less options for screw-ups - e.g. you'd want the SPF TXT record (etc) consistent.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Thu Jan 18 19:40:34 2024
    Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:

Jeff Gaines wrote:

That doesn't alter anything immediately, but it allows you to "pull" the domain over to MB

I had to look that up (Nominet does things its own way): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Provider_Security

The process for a .uk: https://www.heartinternet.uk/support/article/how-do-i-transfer-my-uk-domain-name-away-to-a-new-host.html

For another domain: https://www.heartinternet.uk/support/article/how-do-i-transfer-my-gtld-domain-name-out-of-my-account.html

You can, of course, have a domain registered with one registrar/host and served
    by another. The easiest way is to look up the nameservers on your preferred host (Mythic Beasts in your case) and edit the settings on the current domain registrar to use those. That means every lookup, whether web or email (or whatever) is directed immediately to Mythic Beasts, just as if you'd registered
    the domain with them. It's a quick fix which should work quickly, and globally
    within 24 hours. I do this when my excellent small ISP (Liquidsix) doesn't happen to offer the registration of esoteric top-level domains, but I still want to host with them.

You could also change the MX record in the Heart DNS records to point to Mythic
    Beasts, but the nameserver change has less options for screw-ups - e.g. you'd want the SPF TXT record (etc) consistent.

You can do all of that but you're still paying Heart for the domain registration. The OP wants a clean break.

Although the above may be useful to minimise downtime, ie get everything set
    up at the new place so the switch doesn't change the hosting arrangements.
    But not necessary and may overcomplicate it.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 19 13:28:08 2024
    In article <+eA*S+LAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo wrote...

Jeff Gaines wrote:

The process for a .uk: https://www.heartinternet.uk/support/article/how-do-i-transfer-my-uk-domain-name-away-to-a-new-host.html

For another domain: https://www.heartinternet.uk/support/article/how-do-i-transfer-my-gtld-domain-name-out-of-my-account.html

You can, of course, have a domain registered with one registrar/host and served
    by another. The easiest way is to look up the nameservers on your preferred
    host (Mythic Beasts in your case) and edit the settings on the current domain
    registrar to use those. That means every lookup, whether web or email (or whatever) is directed immediately to Mythic Beasts, just as if you'd registered
    the domain with them. It's a quick fix which should work quickly, and globally
    within 24 hours. I do this when my excellent small ISP (Liquidsix) doesn't happen to offer the registration of esoteric top-level domains, but I still want to host with them.

You could also change the MX record in the Heart DNS records to point to Mythic
    Beasts, but the nameserver change has less options for screw-ups - e.g. you'd
    want the SPF TXT record (etc) consistent.

You can do all of that but you're still paying Heart for the domain registration. The OP wants a clean break.

Although the above may be useful to minimise downtime, ie get everything set up at the new place so the switch doesn't change the hosting arrangements. But not necessary and may overcomplicate it.

Theo

As I remember the thread, the OP was saying that Heart weren't coming through, and had already taken payment for another year. Changing nameservers is a quick (and very easy) way to get things working NOW with the new hosting provider. Easily updated later - and he has a year to do that. Domain registration and hosting are independent; we usually go to the same service provider for both, but in some circumstances (like a stalled transfer of registration) this is an easy workaround.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Fri Jan 19 15:07:53 2024
    As I remember the thread, the OP was saying that Heart weren't coming through,
    and had already taken payment for another year. Changing nameservers is a quick (and very easy) way to get things working NOW with the new hosting provider. Easily updated later - and he has a year to do that. Domain registration and hosting are independent; we usually go to the same service provider for both, but in some circumstances (like a stalled transfer of registration) this is an easy workaround.

I believe if you do a domain transfer you get the time on your current registration plus an additional year (that you pay the new provider for).
    In other words, you may have 364 days left on the registration but you can transfer today and you get 364+365 days before the next renewal.

So there's no reason not to do a transfer as far as the domain goes - you
    don't lose anything you already paid for. You would lose any hosting you
    paid for[*], but if your current host isn't working for you then you will presumably want to be shot of them anyway.

Theo

[*] technically you wouldn't lose it, but you wouldn't have the domain
    attached to it so it wouldn't be doing anything useful. If you had another domain you could move it to the old host to 'use up' the paid-for hosting, I suppose. They could also give you a pro-rata refund of the hosting you
    aren't using, which they can't do for domains.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Daniel James@21:1/5 to Theo on Fri Jan 19 17:57:08 2024
    On 19/01/2024 15:07, Theo wrote:
    I believe if you do a domain transfer you get the time on your current registration plus an additional year (that you pay the new provider for).
    In other words, you may have 364 days left on the registration but you can transfer today and you get 364+365 days before the next renewal.

I'm thinking of moving a domain myself, so I've been looking into this.

I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule, but it seems common allow
    transfer of a .uk domain without making a charge, though collecting the
    fee for an extra year's registration seems common for other TLDs.

That's for the new host. The old host may try to hold your domain
    hostage by charging to change the IPS tag ... but any decent hosting
    company will do this for nothing (but if they were a decent hosting
    company why would you want to leave?)

--
    Cheers,
    Daniel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05