• Takers for 'vintage' PCs

From Theo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 26 11:12:45 2021
    I have three old PCs lying around, all original Pentium, roughly 90-200MHz
    kind of vintage. Let's say ~1997 or thereabouts. One might be a Pentium
    Pro, I'd have to check. I think two are Intel branded, the other one is a no-brand random collection of ISA cards. The ISA one runs Windows 95, the others have some old version of Debian on them.

I need to make space so I'd like to rehome them. But, other than tipping
    them, I'm at a bit of a loss to work out how to find if anyone might be interested. In the US there's a PC retrogaming scene, but it doesn't appear there's a great deal of one over here - not many sales of old PC stuff on
    ebay. I could part them out, but not sure there's much demand for ISA cards
    or SIMMs or whatever. None of them have GPUs, just regular old 90s SVGA.

So can anyone suggest if there's any places out there where there might be people interested in this stuff, or should I just tip them?

Thanks
    Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to Theo on Sun Sep 26 11:28:26 2021
    Theo wrote:

I need to make space so I'd like to rehome them. But, other than tipping them, I'm at a bit of a loss to work out how to find if anyone might be interested.

I've junked all my old 386/486/pentiums ... except the dual-socket celeron ABIT BP6 which was a bit "special" at the time, keep meaning to see if there's any interest in it on eBay ...

I've got a decent 14" trinitron which I similarly ought to have advertised for "retro gaming".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jaimie Vandenbergh@21:1/5 to theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk on Sun Sep 26 13:59:43 2021
    On 26 Sep 2021 at 11:12:45 BST, "Theo"
    <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

So can anyone suggest if there's any places out there where there might be people interested in this stuff, or should I just tip them?

Are any of them minimally-sized desktop ATX machines, by any chance? I'm currently building an Amiga A4000tx, an A4000 motherboard recreated in
    ATX shape, and I'm struggling really badly to find a box that isn't a
    massive black&RGB tower to put it in...

Also interested in the simms for the same purpose :) I have a pair of
    8meg FPM but who knows if they'll work.

The other innards may be of interest to some folks I know who have a
    habit of building 90s-compatible computers for old games. I stick to my MiSTer's 486@33MHz (ish) FPGA core for my pre-3D card fix, far less
    trouble.

Cheers - Jaimie
    --
    "Don't let nouns get in the way of a good time"
    -- Jasper Fforde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adrian Caspersz@21:1/5 to Theo on Mon Sep 27 08:45:16 2021
    On 26/09/2021 11:12, Theo wrote:
    I have three old PCs lying around, all original Pentium, roughly 90-200MHz kind of vintage. Let's say ~1997 or thereabouts. One might be a Pentium Pro, I'd have to check. I think two are Intel branded, the other one is a no-brand random collection of ISA cards. The ISA one runs Windows 95, the others have some old version of Debian on them.

I need to make space so I'd like to rehome them. But, other than tipping them, I'm at a bit of a loss to work out how to find if anyone might be interested. In the US there's a PC retrogaming scene, but it doesn't appear there's a great deal of one over here - not many sales of old PC stuff on ebay. I could part them out, but not sure there's much demand for ISA cards or SIMMs or whatever. None of them have GPUs, just regular old 90s SVGA.

IT anger therapy is getting some traction.

Hire and fill out a field, supply baseball bats and protective glasses.

Earn £5 per hour?

--
    Adrian C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raj Kundra@21:1/5 to Theo on Wed Sep 29 17:34:00 2021
    On 26/09/2021 11:12, Theo wrote:
    I have three old PCs lying around, all original Pentium, roughly 90-200MHz kind of vintage. Let's say ~1997 or thereabouts. One might be a Pentium Pro, I'd have to check. I think two are Intel branded, the other one is a no-brand random collection of ISA cards. The ISA one runs Windows 95, the others have some old version of Debian on them.

I need to make space so I'd like to rehome them. But, other than tipping them, I'm at a bit of a loss to work out how to find if anyone might be interested. In the US there's a PC retrogaming scene, but it doesn't appear there's a great deal of one over here - not many sales of old PC stuff on ebay. I could part them out, but not sure there's much demand for ISA cards or SIMMs or whatever. None of them have GPUs, just regular old 90s SVGA.

Thanks
    Theo

I am tempted, how much?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adrian Caspersz@21:1/5 to Raj Kundra on Thu Sep 30 10:27:30 2021
    On 29/09/2021 17:34, Raj Kundra wrote:

I am tempted, how much?

Across YouTube there are 'bearded explorer' types that venture upon a
    field or barn filled with abandoned cars in various states of encrumblement.

A couple of years ago, there was a much YouTube'd find of a US warehouse
    called "computer reset" that had similar items of age.

Found at Computer Reset - IBM 7496 Executive Workstation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2OCBZpzZ8

I feel like starting a collection.

Where can I find a really cheap secure storage facility with a solid
    roof and walls that won't let in the rain and weeds.

Deserted nuclear power station? Bunker?

--
    Adrian C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 30 11:57:48 2021
    In article <irle83F6iabU1@mid.individual.net>, email@here.invalid says...

Across YouTube there are 'bearded explorer' types that venture upon a
    field or barn filled with abandoned cars in various states of encrumblement.

'Encrumblement' is the best new word of 2021, for sure.

(I googled it, and Google warns that "some results may be explicit". Even better...)

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Jaimie Vandenbergh on Thu Sep 30 22:46:30 2021
    Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
    On 26 Sep 2021 at 11:12:45 BST, "Theo"
    <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

Are any of them minimally-sized desktop ATX machines, by any chance? I'm currently building an Amiga A4000tx, an A4000 motherboard recreated in
    ATX shape, and I'm struggling really badly to find a box that isn't a
    massive black&RGB tower to put it in...

ATX? Youngsters today... no, they're all good old AT, two with a 5-pin DIN connector and one with two PS/2 connectors in the hole where the DIN would
    go.

PCPartpicker has some ATX HTPC cases, btw: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#t=11&f=2

Also interested in the simms for the same purpose :) I have a pair of
    8meg FPM but who knows if they'll work.

I need to go through and see what's in there. Any photos of the innards are inevitably pictures of IDE ribbon cables and not much else.

The other innards may be of interest to some folks I know who have a
    habit of building 90s-compatible computers for old games. I stick to my MiSTer's 486@33MHz (ish) FPGA core for my pre-3D card fix, far less
    trouble.

The cleanest one turns out to be an industrial PCI+ISA PC on a passive motherboard, made by Tri-Map International. Who it appears still have a 90s-style website:
    http://trimap-usa.com/index_files/Industrial_Systems.htm

There's some SIMMs marked IBM 64MB (8M x 36) which don't make sense - an
    8Mbit x 36 SIMM would be 32MB ECC, not 64MB.

I kept one of the others as it has GPIB, ADC and digital IO ISA cards, but never found a use for it.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vir Campestris@21:1/5 to Adrian Caspersz on Fri Oct 1 11:38:37 2021
    On 30/09/2021 10:27, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
    Where can I find a really cheap secure storage facility with a solid
    roof and walls that won't let in the rain and weeds.

Deserted nuclear power station? Bunker?

Somewhere with a much drier climate than the UK.

Though that one was near Dallas, which isn't that dry.

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05