• Diagnose Whether a Mother board or PSU Has Failed - Shuttle Failure

From Max Collisions@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 17 15:34:16 2022
    My Shuttle XPC has stopped working.

So, what is the procedure to diagnose whether a fault is with the motherboard, or the PSU, when there are no beeps, no LED (Voltage Good) Signals, or lights, and nothing “happens”

What I have done: Installed a known-good PSU for what I think is the dead one. (1)

So, do you connect a working PSU into the machine, and check voltages of the ATX1, and ATX2 output ?

Currently, I'm lucky, that when I moved the SSD hard drive, and Radeon GPU, into the less Powerful shuttle, with an FH61R motherboard, Windows 10 pro did not complain.

(1) The ATX2 power socket on the XPC motherboard, has a 6X6 connector, the "spare "PSU"'s have an ATX2 connector that has only 4 connectors, which fits snuggly only one way on the Motherboard’s ATX2 port, some are round, nd some are round + square.

Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Chare@21:1/5 to Max Collisions on Sun Dec 18 18:53:26 2022
    On 17/12/2022 23:34, Max Collisions wrote:

So, what is the procedure to diagnose whether a fault is with the motherboard, or the PSU, when there are no beeps, no LED (Voltage Good) Signals, or lights, and nothing “happens”

What I have done: Installed a known-good PSU for what I think is the dead one. (1)

So, do you connect a working PSU into the machine, and check voltages of the ATX1, and ATX2 output ?

Currently, I'm lucky, that when I moved the SSD hard drive, and Radeon GPU, into the less Powerful shuttle, with an FH61R motherboard, Windows 10 pro did not complain.

(1) The ATX2 power socket on the XPC motherboard, has a 6X6 connector, the "spare "PSU"'s have an ATX2 connector that has only 4 connectors, which fits snuggly only one way on the Motherboard’s ATX2 port, some are round, nd some are round + square.

Thanks.
    Do any of the capacitors in the PSU look swollen?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Max Collisions@21:1/5 to Michael Chare on Mon Dec 19 07:48:43 2022
    On Sunday, 18 December 2022 at 18:53:29 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

Thanks.

All Capacitors look in fine condition.

I have shorted pins 4 and 5 of the Shuttle PSU, and the power supplys fan runs, and there are +5v + 5V, and +12v + 12v's showing on all power connection from the PSU, so it looks like a dead Motherboard :O(

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From SH@21:1/5 to Max Collisions on Mon Dec 19 18:47:50 2022
    On 19/12/2022 15:48, Max Collisions wrote:
    On Sunday, 18 December 2022 at 18:53:29 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

Thanks.

All Capacitors look in fine condition.

I have shorted pins 4 and 5 of the Shuttle PSU, and the power supplys fan runs, and there are +5v + 5V, and +12v + 12v's showing on all power connection from the PSU, so it looks like a dead Motherboard :O(

Not necessarily, you need to test the -5VSB rail as well on the PSU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05