• OT: Portable Televisions

From Synapse Syndrome@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 7 09:36:17 2022
    Hi. I can't think of a better place to ask about this than here...

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how to use it anyway. When
    I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the best thing.

There seems to be quite a lot to choose from on Amazon and eBay. This seems to be the sort of thing possibly?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/portable-rechargeable-Suitable-European-countries-balck/dp/B08R8G336D

Want to get one with remote, as that's what he will be comfortable using. Anything else I should be thinking about? Has anybody got any experience buying one of these for their camper vans?

ss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Synapse Syndrome@21:1/5 to Synapse Syndrome on Mon Nov 7 09:40:44 2022
    On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 17:36:18 UTC, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how to use it anyway.
    When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the best thing.

There seems to be quite a lot to choose from on Amazon and eBay. This seems to be the sort of thing possibly?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/portable-rechargeable-Suitable-European-countries-balck/dp/B08R8G336D

Want to get one with remote, as that's what he will be comfortable using. Anything else I should be thinking about? Has anybody got any experience buying one of these for their camper vans?

ss.

Just noticed that this one doesn't seem to come with the pictured sturdy-looking stand or the aerial, so I am at square one again..

ss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to Synapse Syndrome on Mon Nov 7 19:55:16 2022
    Synapse Syndrome <gomez404@gmail.com> wrote:

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was
    found wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a
    Samsung Tab 8A but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how to use it anyway. When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the best thing.

I'd be concerned about lack of aerial signal deep in a building with a small aerial. How far are you from the local transmitter, and is the room facing
    the right way?

But I suppose you could always get one, try it, and return if it didn't work out.

Theo

[in terms of 'better places', you could also try posting to newsgroup uk.tech.digital-tv Might be worth a try in case anyone there has any more experience]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Synapse Syndrome@21:1/5 to Theo on Mon Nov 7 13:18:33 2022
    On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 19:55:20 UTC, Theo wrote:
    Synapse Syndrome <gome...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd be concerned about lack of aerial signal deep in a building with a small aerial. How far are you from the local transmitter, and is the room facing the right way?

But I suppose you could always get one, try it, and return if it didn't work out.

He's one bed away from the window in a room of four beds, so hopefully it will be good enough

[in terms of 'better places', you could also try posting to newsgroup uk.tech.digital-tv Might be worth a try in case anyone there has any more experience]

Good idea, cheers.

ss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adrian Caspersz@21:1/5 to Synapse Syndrome on Mon Nov 7 22:19:26 2022
    On 07/11/2022 17:36, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A

Can you install a memory card with lots of programmes that he likes?

--
    Adrian C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Synapse Syndrome on Tue Nov 8 11:08:20 2022
    On 7 Nov 2022 at 17:40:44 GMT, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 17:36:18 UTC, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found >> wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A >> but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how
    to use it anyway. When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is
    going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the >> best thing.

There seems to be quite a lot to choose from on Amazon and eBay. This seems >> to be the sort of thing possibly?

Want to get one with remote, as that's what he will be comfortable using.
    Anything else I should be thinking about? Has anybody got any experience
    buying one of these for their camper vans?

ss.

Just noticed that this one doesn't seem to come with the pictured sturdy-looking stand or the aerial, so I am at square one again..

ss.

Think you'd need to check the reception - that aerial doesn't look up to much.

FWIW I'd persevere with the tablet, or see what offering the hospital has
    (some extortionate pay-to-view Freeview no doubt, if at all).

--
    Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GB@21:1/5 to RJH on Tue Nov 8 11:14:07 2022
    On 08/11/2022 11:08, RJH wrote:

FWIW I'd persevere with the tablet, or see what offering the hospital has (some extortionate pay-to-view Freeview no doubt, if at all).

IIRC, my local hospital has two wifis available. The free to use wifi
    has poor reception and bandwidth. There's also pay to use wifi, which
    has better reception. I haven't tried it, but I assume it also has
    better bandwidth, too.

If there's a good 4G or 5G signal, it's not that expensive to use a
    mobile internet connection. That then leaves explaining to dad how to
    use iplayer, say, and leaving him simple written instructions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 8 11:47:06 2022
    In article <MPG.3dd44d92d39087be989a25@news.eternal-september.org>, Philip Herlihy wrote...

Can't advise on a telly, but after much research I chose this DAB radio for an
    elderly and easily confused friend, with great success. It's remarkably easy to use (presets for DAB and FM) and the sound quality is very good indeed. https://amzn.to/3fImFC1

Worth pointing out there's a very similar model, thinner and a bit cheaper, but it has significantly less bass!

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 8 11:27:47 2022
    In article <8c5c1d46-2539-4ec1-8fc6-c403f498ddefn@googlegroups.com>, Synapse Syndrome wrote...

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how to use it anyway.
    When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the best thing.

ss.

Can't advise on a telly, but after much research I chose this DAB radio for an elderly and easily confused friend, with great success. It's remarkably easy to use (presets for DAB and FM) and the sound quality is very good indeed. https://amzn.to/3fImFC1

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David@21:1/5 to Synapse Syndrome on Tue Nov 8 14:32:14 2022
    On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 09:36:17 -0800, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

Samsung Tab 8A but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how to use it anyway. When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is going on in the outside world, so I think a
    portable television would be the best thing.

There seems to be quite a lot to choose from on Amazon and eBay. This
    seems to be the sort of thing possibly?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/portable-rechargeable-Suitable-European-
    countries-balck/dp/B08R8G336D

Want to get one with remote, as that's what he will be comfortable
    using. Anything else I should be thinking about? Has anybody got any experience buying one of these for their camper vans?

ss.

Just wondering how/when you are going to charge it.
    It will need charging, obviously.

If it needs a permanent power connection then the main point of a portable
    TV seems to be lost.

In fact, I don't see a use case apart from being outside a house.

You can get small TVs and external aerials without the built in battery.

We have a "normal" 240V TV in our motor home and usually drive it off the mains, but can use an inverter if required.

As others have said (and going from our camping experience) the main thing
    you need is a good signal from the aerial.
    Without that there is no point to the TV, as far as I can see.
    Also from experience, a hand held signal tester will only show you that "something" is being received by the aerial.
    You can have a high indicated signal strength but low quality and so no picture.
    You can have a low signal strength but good quality and a good picture.

Without spending a lot of money you really need to take a TV into the ward
    and see what it can tune to (if anything).

Worth talking to the Ward Sister (if they still have such a thing) because
    you are unlikely to be the first person to try to solve this problem.

I assume it will need the cooperation of the nursing staff to use the TV
    when you are not there.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. Bill Wright on uk.tech.digital-tv or uk.d-i-y is the fount of all knowledge.

--
    AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Synapse Syndrome on Tue Nov 8 18:55:56 2022
    Synapse Syndrome <gomez404@gmail.com> wrote:

Samsung Tab 8A but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how to use it anyway. When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the best thing.

There seems to be quite a lot to choose from on Amazon and eBay. This
    seems to be the sort of thing possibly?

I suspect s telly might be too much for him as well. Why not get him a
    portable radio? One with presets so he can find the right station easily.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RJH@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Wed Nov 9 03:11:15 2022
    On 8 Nov 2022 at 11:27:47 GMT, Philip Herlihy wrote:

In article <8c5c1d46-2539-4ec1-8fc6-c403f498ddefn@googlegroups.com>, Synapse Syndrome wrote...

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found >> wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A >> but the wifi reception in his ward is poor and he doesn't really remember how
    to use it anyway. When I visit, he complains that he doesn't know what is
    going on in the outside world, so I think a portable television would be the >> best thing.

There seems to be quite a lot to choose from on Amazon and eBay. This seems >> to be the sort of thing possibly?

Want to get one with remote, as that's what he will be comfortable using.
    Anything else I should be thinking about? Has anybody got any experience
    buying one of these for their camper vans?

ss.

Can't advise on a telly, but after much research I chose this DAB radio for an
    elderly and easily confused friend, with great success. It's remarkably easy to use (presets for DAB and FM) and the sound quality is very good indeed. https://amzn.to/3fImFC1

I've got an older version of that and it's very good. Reassuringly priced! I paid about £50 10 years ago . . . mutter . . .

If reliable mains power isn't available recharagable batteries last 10hrs+,
    and it's 5V input so I can use it with a portable power bank (need to buy a USB-plug lead).
    --
    Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Synapse Syndrome@21:1/5 to Adrian Caspersz on Thu Nov 24 14:54:29 2022
    On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 22:19:28 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
    On 07/11/2022 17:36, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

My dad is old and is now in hospital as he has failing memory and was found wondering around and not remembering where he lives. He has a Samsung Tab 8A
    Can you install a memory card with lots of programmes that he likes?

That's a good idea and they all seem to have that ability.

ss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05