• Prayer And Work

From ibshambat@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 13 18:24:18 2017
    Augustine said, “Pray as if everything depended on God, work as if everything depended on you.”

I have seen miracles worked by people within Christianity. I have also seen miracles worked by people outside of Christianity. Right now I do not know which one of these is right. So my solution is to have my feet in both worlds and practice Christian
    teachings while also doing what I can on my part to strive for better things for people.

Some people I know who were not Christian practiced Christian values to a greater extent than many people who were Christian. They practiced compassion, generosity and strong ethics, which many people who call themselves Christian do not. In some ways
    the Jews and the Christians traded places since the times of Jesus, with many Jews acting the way that Christians are meant to act and many Christians following the Old Testament without loving their neighbor. I have also seen strong ethics in many
    people outside Christianity. So that while I remain committed to following Christian teachings, I am also choosing to take the loving stance toward people who are not Christians.

Some Christians do in fact act the way that Christians are meant to act. I have been involved with a Salvation Army church, and these people do exactly what Christians are meant to do. They have had very real experiences, and they have dedicated their
    lives toward doing such things as helping people get off of drugs and become productive and healthy people. The experiences of William Booth, Bill Wilson and any number of others cannot be dismissed. They experienced a real intervention from God, and
    they have done many things that Christianity demands. When people follow some parts of the Christian teachings without following others, often God intervenes to set them straight. The Victorians practiced morality but not compassion, so God revealed
    Himself to Booth. The result was the Salvation Army. The people in 1930s were contemptuous of drinking, so God revealed Himself to Bill Wilson. The result was Alcoholics Anonymous.

My solution therefore is to follow Jesus while being respectful of any number of people who do not. In the best-case scenario I stand to guide them toward Jesus. In case of people I've loved who are deceased and for whom I cannot do such a thing, my
    solution is to see what they would have wanted to see done and do it. So if someone who is deceased wanted me to be a better person or to do good things, I am willing to do both.

I have had many spiritual experiences, and while I do not yet know if only the Christians are right I know for a fact that skeptics and atheists aren't. I do know however that I need to do what Augustine said. Pray as if everything depended on God, work
    as if everything depended on me. And I recommend this approach to other people.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Raleigh Arnold@21:1/5 to ibshambat@gmail.com on Mon Jan 29 19:35:38 2018
    On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 18:24:18 -0800 (PST)
    ibshambat@gmail.com wrote:

the Salvation Army. The people in 1930s were
    contemptuous of drinking, so God revealed Himself to

Buddhists are atheists, but they are not Christian
    atheists. There's a big difference. -Vacanurukkhi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)