• Edgar Cayce & Mary Baker Eddy - From A Course in Miracles Urtext

From course zealot@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 12 18:00:51 2019
    The Course in Miracles Urtext mentions several names. The following passages mention, the names Lucifer, Cayce, and Mary Baker Eddy.

The Course in Miracles Urtext is the original unabridged, unedited notes as taken
    by Helen Schucman. The notes were later edited by Bill Thetford as directed by,
    and under the guidance of, the dictator.

The Foundation For Inner Peace version is the official Textbook. The Urtext is like the Apocrypha to the Biblical Cannon.

"(Dictated directly without notes)
    Though Christians generally (but by no means universally) recognize the contradiction involved in victimizing others, they are less adept at ensuring their own inability to victimize themselves. Although this appears to be a much more benign error from the viewpoint of society, it is nevertheless inherently dangerous because once a two-edged defense is used, its direction cannot be self-controlled.

B. recently observed how many ideas were condensed into relatively few pages here.
    This is because we have not been forced to dispel miscreations throughout. (There
    is one set of notes not yet transcribed which is devoted to this. These emphasize
    only the enormous waste of time that is involved.) Cayce’s notes, too, could have
    been much shortened. Their excessive length is due to two factors. The first involves a fundamental error which Cayce himself made, and which required constant
    undoing. The second is more related to the attitude of his followers. They are unwilling to omit anything he said. This is respectful enough, but not overly-judicious. I would be a far better editor, if they would allow me this position on their staff.

It is obvious that Cayce himself was not able to transcend the misperceptions of
    the need for sacrifice, or he could not possibly have been willing to sacrifice himself. Anyone who is unable to leave the requests of others unanswered has not
    entirely transcended egocentricity. I never “gave of myself” in this inappropriate
    way, nor would I ever have encouraged Cayce to do so.

Cayce could not see the Atonement as totally lacking in sacrifice at ANY level. It
    WAS obvious to him that the mind cannot be so limited. It was equally apparent to
    him that the Soul is merely unaffected by such an idea. This left him only the body with which to invest his misperception. This is also why he used his own mind
    at the “EXPENSE of his body.”

Because Cayce was a somewhat erratic listener, he was compelled to correct his own
    errors at very great length, and not always adequately. Consider the basis from which he started, when he began with “yes, we have the body.” It is noteworthy
    that in all these readings, a large section was actually devoted to the body, even
    though he usually concluded with the caution that the body cannot be healed by itself. It would have saved an enormous number of words if he had always begun with this.

Cayce and his devotion to me are in no way underestimated by the realization that
    he worked under very great strain, which is ALWAYS a sign that something is wrong.
    One of the difficulties inherent in trance states is that it is very difficult
    to overcome the split which the trance itself induces through the medium of communications made while in the trance state. Cayce’s whole approach put him in a
    real double-bind, from which he did not recover. When he spoke of a dream in which
    he saw his own rather immanent reincarnation, he was perfectly accurate. He was sufficiently attuned to real communication to make it easy to correct his errors,
    and free him to communicate without strain. It is noticeable throughout his notes
    that he frequently engaged in a fallacy that we have already noted in some detail:
    namely, the tendency to endow the physical with nonphysical properties. Cayce suffered greatly from this error. He did not make either of the other three. However, you will remember that it is this one which is particularly vulnerable to
    magical associations. Cayce’s accuracy was so great that, even when he did this,
    he was able to apply it constructively. But it does not follow that this was a genuinely constructive approach.

It should also be noted that, when Cayce attempted to “see” the body in proper
    perspective, he saw physically discernible auras surrounding it. This is a curious
    compromise, in which the nonphysical attributes of the self are approached AS IF
    they could be seen with the physical eye.

Cayce’s illiteracy never stood in his way. This is because illiteracy does not
    necessarily imply any lack of love, and in Cayce’s case very definitely did not.
    He therefore had no difficulty at all in overcoming this seeming limitation. What
    DID hamper him was a profound sense of personal unworthiness, which, characteristically enough, was sometimes over-compensated for in what might be called a Christian form of grandiosity. Cayce was essentially uncharitable to himself. This made him very erratic in his own miracles, and, because he was genuinely anxious to help others, left himself in a highly vulnerable position.

His son comments both on the rather erratic nature of the Cayce household, and also on the rather uneven nature of Cayce’s temper. Both of these observations are
    true, and clearly point to the fact the Cayce did not apply the Peace of God to himself. Once this had occurred, particularly in a man whose communication channels were open, it was virtually impossible for him to escape external solutions. Cayce was a very religious man, who should have been able to escape fear through religion. Being unable to apply his religion wholeheartedly to himself, he was forced to accept certain magical beliefs which were alien to his
    own Christianity. This is why he was so different when he was asleep, and even disowned what he said in this state.

The lack of integration which this split state implies is clearly shown in certain
    offthe-mark detours into areas such as the effects of stones on the mind, and some
    curious symbolic attempt to integrate churches and glands. (This is hardly more peculiar than some of your own confusion.)

Cayce’s mind was imprisoned to some extent by an error against which you have been
    cautioned several times. He looked to the past for an explanation of the present,
    but he never succeeded in separating the past FROM the present. When he said “mind
    is the builder,” he did not realize that it is only what it is building NOW the
    really creates the future. The past, in itself, does not have the ability to do this. Whenever we move from one instant to the next, the previous one no longer exists. In considering the body as the focus for healing, Cayce was expressing his
    own failure to accept this AS ACCOMPLISHED. He did not fail to recognize the value
    of the Atonement for others, but he did fail to accept its corrective merit for himself.

As we have frequently emphasized, man CANNOT control his own errors. Having created them, he does believe in them. Because of his failure to accept his own perfect freedom FROM the past, Cayce could not really perceive others as similarly
    free. This is why I have not wholly endorsed the Cayce documents for widespread use.

I am heartily supportive of the ARE’s endeavor to make Cayce’s singular contributions immortal, but it would be most unwise to have them promulgated as a
    faith until they have been purged of their essential errors. This is why there have been a number of unexplained set backs in their explication. It is also one
    of the many reasons why the Cayce material, a major step in the speedup, must be
    properly understood before it can be meaningfully validated.

Cayce’s son has been wise in attempting to deal with reliability, which in Cayce’s
    case is very high. There is a way of validating the material, and Hugh Lynn is perfectly aware that this must be done eventually. He is also aware of the fact that he is unable to do it. In the present state of the material, it would be most
    unwise even to attempt it. There is too much that IS invalid. When the time comes
    that this can be corrected to the point of real safety, I assure you it will be accomplished. In tribute to Cayce, I remind you that no effort is wasted, and Cayce’s effort was very great.

It would be most ungrateful of me if I allowed his work to produce a generation of
    witch doctors. I am sorry that Cayce himself could not rid himself of a slight tendency in this direction. But fortunately I have a fuller appreciation of him than he had.

I am repeating here a Biblical injunction of my own, already mentioned elsewhere,
    that if my followers eat any deadly thing it shall not hurt them. This is what Cayce could NOT believe, because he could not see that, as a Son of God, he WAS invulnerable."
    - A Course in Miracles, Urtext, pages 76-79, Combined Verson, pages. 132-136

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"(Tell B. that there are certain advantages in being a Psychologist. A major one
    is the understanding of projection, and the extent of its results. Possession is
    very closely related to projection. “Lucifer” could be literally translated “Light
    Bearer”. He literally PROJECTED himself from Heaven. Projection still has this
    “hurling” connotation, because it involves hurling something you DO NOT want, and
    regard as dangerous and frightening, to someone else. This is the opposite of the
    Golden Rule, and having placed this rule upside down, the reverse of miracles, or
    projection, follows automatically.)

The correction lies in accepting what is true in YOURSELF, by bringing ALL that you are into light. (HS fearful of writing next part.) Cacey [sic] was wrong about
    Possession, and he was also wrong about hurting himself. One of the major problems
    with miracle workers is that they are so sure that what they are doing is right,
    because they KNOW it stems from love, that they do not pause to let ME establish
    MY limits.

While what he (Cacey) [sic] did came from Me, he could NOT be induced to ask me each time whether I wanted him to perform this PARTICULAR miracle. If he had, he
    would not have performed any miracles that could not get thru constructively, and
    would thus have saved himself unnecessary strain. He burned himself out with indiscriminate miracles, and to this extent did not fulfill his own full purpose,
    and was also subject to the Scribal error I mentioned at the start. The Disciples
    were also prone to this.

The answer is NEVER perform a miracle without asking me IF you should. This spares
    you from exhaustion, and because you act under direct communication the trance becomes unnecessary. Because miracles are expressions of love, it does NOT follow
    that they will always be effective. I am the only one who can perform miracles indiscriminately, because I AM the Atonement. You have a ROLE in Atonement, which
    I will dictate TO you.

Remember, you already have a point about the involuntary nature of miracles. We also have established the fact that everything involuntary belongs under Christ-
    control, NOT under yours. Under Christ-control, Miracles REPLENISH the doer as well as the receiver.

Possession really means “Not under Christ-Control”, thus making him (the mind?)
    vulnerable to projection. The reference to the earth-bound entering bodies really
    refer to the “taking over” by their own earth-bound “thoughts”. This IS Demon
    Possession. After all, Lucifer fell, but he was still an angel. He is thus the symbol for man. [?] Atonement is the knowledge that the belief that angels can fall is false. It is true that mind can create projections as well as miracles, but it’s NOT true that projections are REAL. Any psychologist should understand
    this. This is what is meant by “ The Truth shall set you free.”

Christ-controlled miracles are part of the Atonement, but Christ-guidance is personal, and leads to PERSONAL salvation. The impersonal nature of miracles is an
    essential ingredient, because this enables Me to control their distribution as I
    see fit.

Christ-guidance, on the other hand, leads to the highly Personal experience of Revelation. This is why it involves PERSONAL choice. A guide does NOT control, by
    definition, but he does DIRECT, leaving the following up to you. “Lead us not into
    temptation” means “guide us out of our own errors.” Note that the word is “lead”,
    NOT order.

“Take up thy cross and follow me” should be interpreted to read “Recognize your
    errors and choose to abandon them by following My guidance.”

(Tell B. when he is afraid of Possession, he need only remember that error cannot
    really threaten Truth, which ALWAYS can withstand its assaults. Only the error is
    really vulnerable.) The “Princes of this World” are princes only because they are
    really angels. But they are free to establish their kingdom where they see fit.

If you will remember that ALL princes INHERIT their power from the Father, the right choice becomes inevitable.

The soul is in a state of grace forever.

Man’s reality is ONLY his soul.

Therefore, man is in a state of Grace forever.

Atonement undoes all errors in this respect, and thus uproots the REAL source of
    fear. If you will check back at the reference to uprooting, you will understand it
    better in this context.

(Tell B. that WHENEVER God’s reassurances are experienced as threat, it is ALWAYS
    because man is defending his misplaced & misdirected love and loyalty. That is what projection always involves.)

“Casting spells” merely means “affirming error”, and error is lack of love. When
    man projects this onto others, he DOES imprison them, but only to the extent that
    he reinforces errors they have already made. This distortion makes them vulnerable
    to the curse of others, since they have already cursed themselves. The miracle worker can only bless, and this undoes the curse and frees the soul from prison."
    - A Course in Miracles, Urtext, pages 22-24, Combined Version, pages 30-33

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"When the “lies of the serpent” were introduced, they were specifically called
    lies because they are not true. When man listened, all he heard was untruth. He does not have to continue to believe what is not true, unless he chooses to do so.
    All of his miscreations can disappear in the well known “twinkling of an eye”,
    because it is a visual misperception.

Man’s spiritual eye can sleep, but as will shortly appear in the notes (reference
    Bob, elevator operator) a sleeping eye can still see. One translation of the Fall,
    a view emphasized by Mary Baker Eddy, and worthy of note, is that “a deep sleep
    fell upon Adam”. While the Bible continues to associate this sleep as a kind of
    anaesthetic utilized for protection of Adam during the creation of Eve, Mrs. Eddy
    was correct in emphasizing that nowhere is there any reference made to his waking
    up. While Christian Science is clearly incomplete, this point is much in its favor."
    - A Course in Miracles, Urtext, page 602 (Insert for page 61, - per page 600), Combined Version, page 73

https://tinyurl.com/Course-In-Miracles-Urtext-pdf https://tinyurl.com/ACIM-Urtext-Text-pdf http://www.miraclesinactionpress.com/dthomp74/2008/TOOLBOX/Original%20Versions/FIP.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)