• Second woman accuses black Va. Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of sexual as

From NoBody@21:1/5 to leroysoetoro@hrc-rejected.com on Mon Feb 18 07:36:16 2019
    XPost: alt.gossip.celebrities, va.politics, alt.politics.obama
    XPost: alt.politics.democrats, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 02:15:55 +0000 (UTC), "Leroy N. Soetoro" <leroysoetoro@hrc-rejected.com> wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/second-woman- >accuses-va-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-of-sexual-assault/2019/02/08/19e6bb6c- >2bdf-11e9-b011-
    d8500644dc98_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5ee91e02f237

A Maryland woman said Friday that she was sexually assaulted by Virginia
    Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) in a “premeditated and aggressive” attack in >2000, while both were undergraduate students at Duke University. She is
    the second woman this week to accuse him of sexual assault. Fairfax >forcefully denied both allegations.

Democratic Party leaders quickly called for Fairfax to resign, including
    the influential Virginia Legislative Black Caucus. Many who had withheld >judgment after the first allegation this week said they could no longer
    stand by him, including most of Virginia’s Democratic congressional >delegation and national Democrats with presidential aspirations.

While Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) and Rep. Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (D-Va.) >said Fairfax should resign if the allegations were true, Sen. Tim Kaine >(D-Va.) offered no such equivocation. “The allegations against him detail >atrocious crimes, and he can no longer effectively serve the
    Commonwealth,” Kaine said in a statement. “We cannot ever ignore or
    tolerate sexual assault.”

Meanwhile, Gov. Ralph Northam (D) told senior staff that he would serve
    out the remaining three years of his term and would not step down amid his >own scandal involving a racist photograph from his 1984 medical school >yearbook.

It was a head-spinning turn in a spiraling week of chaos in Virginia. Only
    a week ago, Fairfax, 39, was preparing to take over as Virginia’s second >African American governor when it looked as though Northam, 59, would be >forced out over the racial issue.

The new accusation against Fairfax came from Meredith Watson, who said
    Friday in a statement through her attorney that she shared her account
    with several classmates and friends immediately after the alleged assault >occurred. Watson did not speak publicly Friday, and her lawyer did not
    make her available for an interview.

Fairfax: ‘I’m confident in the truth’
    Virginia's Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax told reporters Feb. 8 he’s
    “confident in the truth” after being accused of sexual assaulting a woman
    in 2004. (Lee Powell/The Washington Post)

“I deny this latest unsubstantiated allegation,” Fairfax responded in a >statement. “It is demonstrably false. I have never forced myself on anyone >ever.”

Asked what evidence Fairfax had that would demonstrate that the charge was >false, spokeswoman Lauren Burke said: “In due time, all the facts will
    come out.”

Virginia Democrats made clear that their patience had run out, especially >after spending the week absorbing one blow after another regarding their
    top leaders. Besides Northam and Fairfax, state Attorney General Mark R. >Herring (D) admitted Wednesday that he wore blackface to imitate a rapper
    at a college party in 1980.

[Democrats grapple with Fairfax assault allegations in the #metoo era]

“The allegations against Justin Fairfax are serious and credible,” former >Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe (D) said Friday in a statement. “ ...I
    call for his immediate resignation.”

McAuliffe has similarly called for Northam’s resignation.

Democratic U.S. Reps. Gerald E. Connolly, Don Beyer, Elaine Luria, Abigail >Spanberger and Jennifer Wexton, in a lengthy joint statement, called for >Fairfax to resign. “The past seven days have been some of the most painful
    we can remember,” they began. Saying that they found Fairfax’s accusers to
    be credible, the delegation said it was “unacceptable” for Fairfax to >continue in office, “particularly in light of Gov. Northam’s situation,
    which we continue to believe requires his resignation.”

Rep. A. Donald McEachin (D-Va.) issued a separate statement also calling
    for Fairfax to resign.

National Democrats piled on, including Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) — who
    said “it is no longer appropriate for [Fairfax] to serve” — and Sen.
    Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.)

Republican leaders in the Virginia state Senate called for criminal >investigations while Democrats in the Senate and the House issued a joint >statement calling for Fairfax’s resignation.

Duke has asked Fairfax to leave the Sanford School of Public Policy Board
    of Visitors until the allegations are resolved, officials said.

As the avalanche picked up speed, one state Democratic official said: “I >don’t know who has his back.”

Del. Patrick A. Hope (D-Arlington) on Friday night asked Virginia’s >legislative services to draft articles of impeachment against Fairfax.
    Hope said he was uncertain which part of the state’s constitution would
    apply but added that he hoped he would not have to introduce the measure >Monday.

“It’s up to the lieutenant governor to resign before then,” he said.

Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Phyllis Randall, the first >African American elected to that position, said in a statement that she
    could no longer defend Fairfax. “It’s with deep regret and sadness that I >have to call for the resignation of Justin Fairfax. .?.?. I’m heartbroken
    to have to make this decision.”

Earlier this week, another woman, Vanessa Tyson, accused Fairfax of
    sexually assaulting her in 2004 while at the Democratic National
    Convention in Boston. Fairfax also forcefully denied that charge, saying
    he was the victim of a “smear” and that they had a consensual encounter.

[Vanessa Tyson spoke out against sex assault before she met Justin
    Fairfax]

Watson, who came forward Friday, was friends with Fairfax at Duke, but
    they never dated or had a romantic relationship, Watson’s lawyer, Nancy
    Erika Smith, said.

“At this time, Ms. Watson is reluctantly coming forward out of a strong
    sense of civic duty and her belief that those seeking or serving in public >office should be of the highest character,” Smith said in the statement.
    “She has no interest in becoming a media personality or reliving the
    trauma that has greatly affected her life. Similarly, she is not seeking
    any financial damages.”

Watson wants Fairfax to resign from office, Smith said.

Fairfax’s statement said he would not step aside. “I demand a full >investigation into these unsubstantiated and false allegations,” the >statement said. “I will clear my good name and I have nothing to hide. I
    have passed two full field background checks by the FBI and run for office
    in two highly contested elections with nothing like this being raised >before.”

[Tyson has spoken for years about the sexual assault issue]

Smith said the details of Watson’s alleged attack are similar to those >described by Tyson, who said that Fairfax had forced her to perform oral
    sex.

Kaneedreck Adams, 40, who attended Duke with Watson, said that in spring >2000, Watson lived across the hall from her in an on-campus apartment
    complex and came to her in tears.

“She was upset,” said Adams, a lawyer. “She told me she had been raped,
    and she named Justin.”

“She said she couldn’t speak, but she was trying to get up and he kept >pushing her down,” Adams said. “She said he knew that she didn’t like what >was happening, but he kept pushing her down.”

The alleged attack happened at a fraternity house, Adams said.

“We all knew (Fairfax) wanted to be in politics,” Adams said. “He had a >reputation for being very friendly. Some of my friends, we called him >‘Sunshine.’ He was a nice, sweet, charming guy.”

Watson’s attorney provided an email exchange from 2016 between Watson and >Milagros Joye Brown, another friend from Duke, after Brown invited some
    Duke friends to a fundraising event for Fairfax’s nascent campaign for >lieutenant governor.

“Justin raped me in college and I don’t want to hear anything about him. >Please, please, please remove me from any future emails about him please,” >Watson wrote on Oct. 26, 2016.

Watson’s lawyer released a second statement after Fairfax’s denial,
    accusing the him of trying to undermine her credibility. In that
    statement, the lawyer revealed that Watson had accused a Duke basketball >player of rape her sophomore year. The statement said she reported it to a >dean at the university, who discouraged her from pursuing it. The
    basketball player was not named in the statement.

Duke officials said they could not immediately comment.

According to Duke’s alumni directory, Watson majored in psychology and
    after graduation held jobs in fundraising and grant work for nonprofits
    and schools, mostly in Maryland.

Carliss Chatman, 39, of Lexington, Va., went to Duke with Fairfax and
    Watson and said she believes Fairfax did not assault Watson or Tyson.

“He’s a fighter,” said Chatman, who teaches at the law school at
    Washington and Lee. “When you rise as quickly as he did and go from people >having no idea who you are to being the lieutenant governor .?.?. He
    expected it; he expected [people] would come out of the woodwork. .?.?. I >think it’s unfortunate that this is the way politics works.”

Chatman last spoke with Fairfax Tuesday or Wednesday, she said. Defending
    a man accused of sexual assault is not in her nature., she said But “even >though I’m a very strong feminist,” she said, “you can take advantage of
    Me Too and get back at someone you dated. I believe in believing women,
    but you can’t believe all women because some people lie.”

The allegations hit Richmond at the end of a tumultuous week in which the >Democratic Party’s top leaders have been brought low and the future of the >executive branch of government appeared in doubt.

Northam was close to resigning Feb. 1 after news of the racist yearbook
    photo broke. The picture shows one person in blackface and another in Ku
    Klux Klan robes, and though Northam initially took responsibility for it,
    he held a televised news conference last Saturday in which he said he was
    not in the picture.

Though he admitted that he wore blackface to imitate Michael Jackson in a >dance contest in 1984, Northam said he would not immediately resign and
    would seek to clear his name.

This week, as scandals enveloped Fairfax and Herring, Northam resolved to >stick it out. On Friday at 4 p.m., shortly after the Fairfax news came
    out, Northam told his top Cabinet officials that he would serve out his
    term.

[An isolated governor; all three officeholders under fire]

“I went up to him after and let him know that I was going to be supportive
    of him,” said Finance Secretary Aubrey Layne. “I’m convinced that he does >have an understanding of what it’s going to take both personally and >politically and governance-wise to move forward. .?.?. It’s not going to
    be easy, but I’m going to support him as long as I’m able to do what is
    right for the Commonwealth of Virginia.”

Fairfax, a former federal prosecutor, has been a rising star in Democratic >politics. The great-great-great-grandson of a slave, he is the second
    African American elected to statewide office in Virginia.

Until this week, Fairfax was perhaps best known for silently protesting
    the state Senate’s annual tribute to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Earlier Friday, Fairfax seemed in good spirits while presiding over the
    state Senate on the last day of a busy legislative week, including
    agreement between Democrats and Republican over the state’s budget.

Fairfax strode onto the Senate floor just before 10:30 a.m., shaking hands >with staffers and some senators.

Asked how he was feeling, the lieutenant governor responded: “Hanging in;
    God is good.”

Aaron C. Davis, Rachel Chason, Fenit Nirappil, Antonio Olivo, Alice
    Crites, Susan Svrluga and Samantha Schmidt contributed to this report.

Anyone ask Alyssa Milano why she isn't out in front of all of this
    since she believes all women?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)