• limitations of the superverse

From Praetor Mandrake@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 2 11:27:54 2023
    Can random number generators help with the needle in a haystack problem? I contend that they cannot. The only way to choose the needle is to get the one random number mapped to it. All the rest gets hay.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Praetor Mandrake@21:1/5 to Praetor Mandrake on Wed Oct 4 02:36:44 2023
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 1:27:56 PM UTC-5, Praetor Mandrake wrote:
    Can random number generators help with the needle in a haystack problem? I contend that they cannot. The only way to choose the needle is to get the one random number mapped to it. All the rest gets hay.

By stipulation, you have taken up agreemences.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pr. Mandrake@21:1/5 to Praetor Mandrake on Sun Oct 8 20:33:16 2023
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:36:45 AM UTC-5, Praetor Mandrake wrote:
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 1:27:56 PM UTC-5, Praetor Mandrake wrote:
    By stipulation, you have taken up agreemences.

What I did here was to attach metal detectors to my missiles, which give feedback to the firing mechanism. Each random shot lets you know how close you came to the needle. It likely won't hit the needle but it can be used as an initial location
    estimate for the search. The more random missiles fired, the better the estimate. Of course there is an ordnance cost. Setting that is left as an exercise for the reader.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05