• Re: 104F erases SSD/Flash memory?

From plateshutoverlock@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 15 23:55:40 2023
    Yeah the article said "if left powered off" but this is still still cause for concern as there are countless
    situations where unpowered up flash memory could be left in an overly
    warm enviroment for weeks on end.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From plateshutoverlock@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 15 23:49:30 2023
    "A new research presentation shows that solid state drives can lose data over time if they aren’t powered on, especially in warmer environments. A powered-off drive in 104 degrees Fahrenheit may start seeing data loss after a couple of weeks"

I figured that a "warm room" meant a room that you would not want to spend more than a minute inside. But 104F sure seems kind of low for SSDs to start losing data.

Thia makes me wonder how the infotainment/car master computer/internet spy console in almost every new car handles this as the temperatures get hot enough in the summer to become fatal to humans and pets when the AC is off and the windows rolled up. Do
    these systems just recopy the data between sets of SSD/flash drives now and then?

Yeah, SSDs have billions of teeny tiny slow discharging capacitors inside the chip to hold data (why SSD can't be used for long archival storage) but 104F causing these caps to discharge faster than they normally would is cause for concern. Many computer
    cases have a heat buildup around that temperature during normal use.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pr. Mandrake@21:1/5 to plateshutoverlock on Thu Mar 9 03:55:07 2023
    On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 1:55:41 AM UTC-6, plateshutoverlock wrote:
    Yeah the article said "if left powered off" but this is still still cause for concern as there are countless
    situations where unpowered up flash memory could be left in an overly
    warm enviroment for weeks on end.

104 degrees F sounds awful low for concern. I don't think Flash memory would have been/be adopted
    if such a limitation in specifications existed. Are you certain you didn't typo 140 F?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05