• Lightning incident

From plateshutoverlock@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 00:13:42 2023
    Years ago, I was watching a rather mild, low activity thunderstorm from my sliding glass door which was
    closed. I started to hear a faint 'zipper' noise in the air which grew louder and louder. At it's peak,
    the zipper noise descended in tone until it was individual pops, about 3 or 4 a second and then a
    lightning bolt hit one block away, and the zipper/pops ceased.

This is something that people often witness during thunderstorms, especially when they are hiking or mountain climbing, but this was the first time I experienced it first hand.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Vasileios Spiliopoulos@21:1/5 to plateshutoverlock on Wed Feb 15 08:50:22 2023
    plateshutoverlock <blinkingblythe01@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Years ago, I was watching a rather mild, low activity thunderstorm from my sliding glass door which wasclosed. I started to hear a faint 'zipper' noise in the air which grew louder and louder. At it's peak,the zipper noise descended in tone until it
    was individual pops, about 3 or 4 a second and then alightning bolt hit one block away, and the zipper/pops ceased. This is something that people often witness during thunderstorms, especially when they are hiking or mountain climbing, but this was the
    first time I experienced it first hand.

I'd say you are lucky to not be hit by it
    --
    vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas- unknown

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From plateshutoverlock@21:1/5 to Vasileios Spiliopoulos on Fri Feb 17 21:16:34 2023
    On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 11:50:24 PM UTC-8, Vasileios Spiliopoulos wrote:
    plateshutoverlock <blinking...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Years ago, I was watching a rather mild, low activity thunderstorm from my sliding glass door which wasclosed. I started to hear a faint 'zipper' noise in the air which grew louder and louder. At it's peak,the zipper noise descended in tone until it
    was individual pops, about 3 or 4 a second and then alightning bolt hit one block away, and the zipper/pops ceased. This is something that people often witness during thunderstorms, especially when they are hiking or mountain climbing, but this was the
    first time I experienced it first hand.

I'd say you are lucky to not be hit by it

I was indoors, so my chances of being hit by it were extremely slim. If it did hit my building, I likely would've lost some electronics.

The weird thing is, is that this was the first time I experienced this, and I have been through countless bad lightning storms beforehand. I did hear lightning bolts make a "zip" noise as they flashed overhead before the thunder, but this was different.
    And what made the whole thing even stranger was the buzzing/zipped noise started inside my ground floor apartment, with all of the windows and doors closed. The zippy lead up for the strike also lasted quite a while because I was trying to find out where
    it was coming from, thinking I had a faulty appliance somewhere.

Obviously the e-field in the area was very high, and a ground "feeler" might have been close to or perhaps even on/in my building to cause this buzzing inside a closed apartment, but this is the first (and last) time I had experienced this.

The house I grew up in had a lightning rod that got struck a few times, and while the thunderous explosion was deafening, there was no buzzing noise of any kind before hand to indicate the strike was about to happen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05