• /. web efficency debate

From plateshutoverlock@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 2 21:27:29 2021
    Maybe this is a good thing, as programmers will have to be more skilled and efficient with code
    ~#~
    Who said the programmers are being inefficient with code? RAM is used as the fastest available memory storage medium. It exists to speed up the user experience. I highly doubt a single person is hitting the 5GB limit with their app, and rather running
    into both speed issues and limits in what the app does.

64KB of RAM? I suspect limiting programmers that low may make it difficult to edit 4K 60fps video from the device's own camera.

Websites? It's not websites which use RAM. It's the fact that we expect our browser to be an OS, a virtual machine, a security sandbox, a high speed real time compiler, all at the same time. Welcome to 2021. Our screens have more than 2 colours and an
    80x24 ascii terminal.
    ~#~
    There is no reason a web page to have source code that topes 5 megabytes, before any videos or images load. It"s pure laziness on the part of the programming group, not optimizing their code base and cutting out all of the unused framework cruft. Can"t
    say I really blame them; web development is as thankless a job as a burger flipper, and unlike the burger flipper, the job can be done remotely by some guy in India for a fraction of the cost. I would fuck off putting in my best in that situation too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)