• A story that deals with the themes of atheism and skepticism

From Christopher Elieson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 7 06:34:25 2021
    PHILIP
    Hey, Asher; let’s stop here.

ASHER
    Here?

PHILIP
    Yeah, this is where we’re gonna have our picnic!

ASHER
    No way, man! Here!?

PHILIP
    Yes, Ash; we’re going to be eating amongst the dead! Oooooh!

ASHER
    Shut up!

PHILIP
    Oooooh!

ASHER
    I mean it!

PHILIP
    Ha! Ha! Ha!

ASHER
    What the hell, Philip!?

PHILIP
    Chill out, Asher! I’m just kiddin’ around.

ASHER
    Do you know whose grave this is?

PHILIP
    Yeah, Benjamin Nabby’s.

ASHER
    Exactly! THE Benjamin Nabby, the greediest man in all of New York. He died like, what-a hundred years ago or something?

PHILIP
    Yeah, I know…

ASHER
    So why are we here?

PHILIP
    We’re gonna do a little experiment.

Asher
    What? What kind of experiment? Seriously, Phil, I don’t like this place, it scares the crap out of me. It’s like the only grave here, and everything around it is dead: the trees, the flowers, and even the grass. Look at the grave, it looks like it
    was freshly dug, even after one hundred years!

PHILIP
    ‘Here lies Benjamin Nammy, who in life was incredibly grabby. Stand not on his grave, lest he nab ye!’

ASHER
    Stop it, man. Don’t scare me like that! Let’s get out of here! Please!

PHILIP
    Come on, Ash! Where’s your sense of adventure? Think about it; us two kids, Philip and Asher Assaf; proving that the crap story about Benjamin Nabby rising out of his grave to grab people and drag them under is just that; crap! No different than any of
    our video games. Maybe we can talk about this in a school project once we go back in September!

ASHER
    Yeah, if we survive.

PHILIP
    We will, Asher. I don’t get why people believe this crap, anyway. It’s like believing in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. It’s all bullshit.

ASHER
    What about God?

PHILIP
    There’s no god.

ASHER
    I don’t know, Phil. Sometimes these stories can be good for us; as either entertainment or to make us good people.

PHILIP
    But they’re just stories, Ash-though some of them are kind of cool-they’re just stories. People are always saying-for example-that God will punish you if you do something bad, but it doesn’t stop people from doing bad things to each other. Why
    doesn’t God stop them if he doesn’t like it? Now about Mr. Nabby, why would he grab us and drag us under just because we stepped on his grave? ‘Respect the dead,’ people say! Screw that! What are the dead gonna do, kill us? It’s not like we’
    re going to steal from them or anything!

ASHER
    I know, but we should let them rest in peace.

PHILIP
    And even if we ARE going to steal from them, what are they gonna do about it? It’s not like they’re gonna need it anymore.

ASHER
    But Mr. Nabby was a greedy man, and he died greedy.

PHILIP
    So freakin’ what? What’s he gonna do with all that money? It’s not like he can spend it in the afterlife or anything.

ASHER
    Uh…

PHILIP
    And how does anybody know that he’ll grab people that so much as touch his grave? Has anyone seen him do it? Has he told anyone that he’ll rise up and do it?

ASHER
    I dunno.

PHILIP
    Did he grab or kill anybody while they were digging his grave or putting up his tombstone? If not, why not, huh? Tell me that!

ASHER
    I dunno…

PHILIP
    What the hell do you mean, ‘you don’t know’? Have you ever read about anyone being dragged under by him?

ASHER
    No…

PHILIP
    See? There you go. And one more thing, if he was as greedy as you say, why does he stay in his grave? Why doesn’t he rise up and terrorize everyone in the big apple and steal from them or something?

ASHER
    I’m going to say the first thing I said when you asked those questions, ‘I dunno!’

PHILIP
    Well, those same questions I ask about Mr. Nabby, I ask about God himself. Has anyone ever seen God?

ASHER
    Uh…

PHILIP
    Hah! A different answer this time! Do YOU believe in God?

ASHER
    I told you, Philip; I don’t know. Maybe he exists and maybe he doesn’t.

PHILIP
    Here’s the part I don’t get; why do people believe in God but not zombies, fairies, or goblins?

ASHER
    Who knows, Philip? And I don’t either. How should any of us know?

PHILIP
    Well, today’s the day we’re gonna know. We’re gonna prove that this whole thing about Benjamin Nabby is bullshit!

ASHER
    How are we gonna do that?

PHILIP
    By stepping on his grave, that’s what!

ASHER
    Are you freakin’ crazy?

PHILIP
    Shut up and listen, Asher! I don’t mean really, ‘stepping on it.’ I mean by tapping it with just our toes. We’re both in bare feet, so it ain’t gonna be that much of a problem.

ASHER
    Which one of us is gonna do it?

PHILIP
    You.

ASHER
    Me? No way, man!

PHILIP
    Come on, Ash; show some guts for once in your life! Think of this-

ASHER
    Screw you! I have guts!

PHILIP
    Right…

ASHER
    I do! Remember back in March? We ran out onto the balcony-you and me-carrying Mom’s dress!

PHILIP
    Which was your idea. I remember, though. It was a bit chilly that day.

ASHER
    And we were out in summer clothing and bare feet.

PHILIP
    Remember when you threw the dress to me while you held the door shut? Mom and Dad threatened to whip your ass.

ASHER
    Stepdad!

PHILIP
    Right. You held the door shut and then you mooned them, pressing your butt against the screen.

ASHER
    Ha! Ha! Yeah, I remember.

PHILIP
    You waved your butt in their faces, and then stepdad took off his belt and hit the screen, barely missing you.

ASHER
    Yeah, I know.

PHILIP
    But you didn’t go back quick enough. You stuck your tongue out at them and called them poo poo faces! Stepdad opened the door and grabbed you, remember?

ASHER
    Yeah, I kept yelling at him to let me go!

PHILIP
    And then he dragged you inside.

ASHER
    See? I showed courage.

PHILIP
    Yeah, but it was stupid! But at the same time, funny.

ASHER
    But you took part too.

PHILIP
    I know, but looking back now, I don’t know why I did…

ASHER
    I was standing up to them. It wasn’t fair, the way they were always picking on us; me especially.

PHILIP
    I know, but it was still stupid. Anyway, while you were inside, Mom came out onto the balcony, trying to get me. I held her dress over the balcony, threatening to drop it if she came closer.

ASHER
    Yeah, I know. Stepdad made me watch while Mom was after you. You and Mom were talking, but I wasn’t sure what either of you said.

PHILIP
    I dropped the dress-though I don’t think it was on purpose.

ASHER
    Yeah, and then she got pissed off, grabbed you, and dragged you inside with me. That was when stepdad said that we were going to be whipped; twelve lashes each-for both of us. Six stripes from Mom’s slipper and six stripes from Stepdad’s belt.

PHILIP
    I remember. They were to whip you on your bare butt and me on my wrists.

ASHER
    Yeah, and now that I think about it, I wish I didn’t mention this story. Even now, it makes me shudder; thinking about it. Oh, man, those things: Mom’s slipper and Stepdad’s belt. It was like being burned with a cigarette and stung by a dozen
    hornets; all the same time! I still feel it sometimes, but just a little bit.

PHILIP
    I know, right? That was when I offered to take your punishment, tell them that the whole thing was my idea. But no, they wanted to punish both of us, so threw dragged us to our room…

ASHER
    And that was when it started.

PHILIP
    Yeah, Stepdad threw you on the bed, and beat you with his belt, six times! While Mom made me watch. That time, you kept on saying, ‘ow’! You were crying too.

ASHER
    And then Mom whipped me. You also forgot to mention that I kept trying to get away, but they kept pulling me back.

PHILIP
    I know.

ASHER
    I was just glad when it was over.

PHILIP
    Remember about a moment or two ago when you said you had courage? Yeah, for only a short while.

ASHER
    I know, don’t remind me. It happens with me;. one minute I’m brave, and a few minutes later…

PHILIP
    Why does that happen?

ASHER
    How should I know?

PHILIP
    I remember when it came to be my turn. You just lied on the floor, rubbing your butt.

ASHER
    Yeah, it was sore.

PHILIP
    Your butt was all red-like scratches and shit.

ASHER
    Yeah, don’t remind me.

PHILIP
    But you showed them off at one point, remember? Anyway, let’s talk about that at another time. So, Stepdad took me and held me arms right in front of me. Then, I got the same thing as you; WHAP! WHAP! WHAP! From both of them.

ASHER
    I know. I didn’t watch much, because I was too busy rubbing my sore butt. I know you said, ‘ow’, once or twice, but I don’t think you struggled much.

PHILIP
    I was just standing while they punished me. I didn’t struggle because there was no point. Either Mom or Stepdad held me by the back of my shirt while the other punished me. I didn’t think there was a way to escape so I just had to take it as best as
    I could.

ASHER
    That was brave.

PHILIP
    The only reason I held that dress over the balcony was because I agreed with you about Mom and Stepdad, but you did it in a stupid way. We should have just ran away, that’s it. I don’t know what made you do what you did that day, but it was both
    funny and stupid at the same time. You see, Asher, being brave doesn’t mean taking stupid risks like you’ve done. It means taking risks because you have to. Like, look at the cops; they get into a shootout because that’s their job. They do it to
    rescue someone. You did it to stand up to them, but in the end, it hurt you as well as me.

ASHER
    Yeah, I know. And I’m sorry. I don’t know why I ran to the balcony. I should have just opened the front door, ran out into the hallway, down the stairs, and out of the building.

PHILIP
    Yeah, well, too late now…

ASHER
    Say, Phil. You mentioned that other story?

PHILIP
    Which one?

ASHER
    You know! The one about where I showed off my marks!

PHILIP
    WE showed off our marks! Yeah, I remember; it was at the pool. And that was a like-what, a week after our punishment?

ASHER
    Heh! Heh! Yeah, and that time we showed off our marks to some girls, saying we got tattoos.

PHILIP
    Yeah, and everyone freaked out! But Asher, we got kicked out of the pool, remember?

ASHER
    Oh, yeah! But still; good times.

PHILIP
    Come on, Asher! None of this has anything to do with our project. So, let’s get to work.

ASHER
    Okay, okay…

PHILIP
    Did you bring the camera?

ASHER
    Yeah, it’s in my backpack; on my bike.

PHILIP
    I’ll get it.

ASHER
    Hey, Philip!

PHILIP
    What?

ASHER
    After we prove this whole story is crap, can we eat?

PHILIP
    Yes, of course.

ASHER
    But then again, where’ll we park our bikes?

PHILIP
    On the grass, dummy! Where do you think?

ASHER
    Silly me!

PHILIP
    Okay, I got the camera!

ASHER
    Uh… Philip?

PHILIP
    What the hell? What now?

ASHER
    I’m still nervous about this. Can I like hold onto you or something… you know, in case something does happen?

PHILIP
    Don’t worry, I’ll be right next to you.

ASHER
    Okay…

PHILIP
    Okay, let’s go over to the grave now.

ASHER
    Just my toes, right?

PHILIP
    Yeah. And that’s when I take the picture. Think about it-me and you-famous for disprove the Benjamin Nabby ghost story.

ASHER
    HEH! HEH! Yeah, and we’re only twelve and thirteen years old.

PHILIP
    Okay, ready, Ash?

ASHER
    I guess so…

PHILIP
    I got my camera ready. Go!

ASHER
    Here goes nothing.

PHILIP
    Yeah, that’s it, Asher. Hang your foot over the grave. Set it down slowly, come on.

ASHER
    There. Just my toes. Hey, Philip! You’re right, nothing happened!

PHILIP
    I told you…

ASHER
    Did you take the picture?

PHILIP
    Whoops! Oh, yeah. Hold on. Keep your toes on the grave.

ASHER
    Gaaah! He’s got me!

PHILIP
    Holy shit! The story is true; and he’s got your ankle!

ASHER
    I know that! Help me!

PHILIP
    Hey! The camera’s not working!

ASHER
    Never mind the picture, asshole! Help me!

PHILIP
    Okay, Ash; I got you!

ASHER
    Let me go, Mr. Nabby!

PHILIP
    Yeah, Mr. Nabby, you let my brother go!

ASHER
    I’m sinking! Nooo! Mmphh!

PHILIP
    Whoa!

PHILIP
    Yaah! Now he’s got me! No, let go! Noooooo! Mmmph!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)