• Thomas Jefferson On The Fake News Media

From Intelligent Party@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 5 23:31:04 2021
    XPost: fl.politics, houston.politics, tx.politics
    XPost: az.politics, alt.abortion

"were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate for a moment
    to prefer the latter."
    - Thomas Jefferson, 1787

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost."
    - Thomas Jefferson to Dr. J. Currie, 1786

"The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them: inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehood and errors." - Thomas Jefferson 1807, 20 years later

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes
    suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle."
    - Thomas Jefferson to John Norvell, June 11, 1807

"The basis of our government being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we
    should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I
    should not hesitate for a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers, and be capable fo reading them."
    - Thomas Jefferson to Colonel Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787

"The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them: inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehood and errors."
    - Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Seymour, and other citizens of Hartford, Feb. 11, 1807

"Perhaps an editor might begin a reformation in some such way as this. Divide his
    paper into four chapters, heading the 1st, Truths. 2d, Probabilities. 3, Possibilities. 4th, Lies. The first chapter would be very short."
    - To John Norvell, June 11, 1807

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)