• =?UTF-8?Q?Fortell_-_My_stepmother_stole_money_owed_to_me_=e2=80=94_?= =

    From a425couple@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 18 14:37:23 2018
    My stepmother stole money owed to me — how do I find my late father’s will? Published: Apr 17, 2018 7:40 a.m. ET
    This daughter says her father put one of his properties in her name, but
    she is unsure how to claim it


    Dear Moneyist,

    My father was married to his wife for 22 years. He died in March. I
    recently found out he left a house in my name. My stepmother has not
    mentioned the house to me at all. I don’t know if he has a will and nor
    do I know how to go about finding out. He also has properties in his
    name only, although she has properties as well. I believe she has stolen
    money owed to me. How can I go about fighting for my father’s things? Do
    I have a fighting chance? I am his first born.

    Daughter in Michigan

    Dear Daughter,

    It’s not a question of you having a fighting chance. This isn’t a battle
    of wills or a clash of personalities or an opportunity for anyone — your stepmother, included — to settle old scores. This may be a stressful and emotional situation, but this is a legal issue and your stepmother is
    obliged to follow the rule of the law. Hiring an attorney to help you
    may be worth it depending on the size of your father’s estate. Any money
    or belongings taken from your father’s estate should be returned. You
    need to gather the relevant facts about what is owed to you.

    Also see: My brother stole my $110,000 inheritance by altering our
    mother’s will

    If the house is in your name, it’s yours. If your father died intestate
    — without a will — you will also likely inherit a portion of your father’s estate. The law varies from state to state, but in Michigan
    your stepmother would receive the first $100,000 of your father’s
    estate. (You mother would inherit the first $150,000 of your father’s
    estate if they were still married.) After that, your stepmother would
    receive half of the estate and your father’s direct heirs (you and your siblings) will receive the other half. The probate court will distribute property that is not jointly owned by your stepmother and father.

    All beneficiaries are entitled to receive a copy of the will. File a
    petition with the county court to see if there was a will filed. In
    Michigan the executor or administrator of an estate is known as a
    “personal representative.” Beneficiaries and heirs must be notified by
    the personal representative. According to the Michigan Legislature, “A personal representative is a fiduciary who shall observe the standard of
    care applicable to a trustee …The personal representative shall keep
    each presumptive distributee informed of the estate settlement.”

    Recommended: After my father died, my brother has been pressuring me to
    lend him money

    Do you have questions about inheritance, tipping, weddings, family
    feuds, friends or any tricky issues relating to manners and money? Send
    them to MarketWatch’s Moneyist and please include the state where you
    live (no full names will be used).

    Would you like to sign up to an email alert when a new Moneyist column
    has been published? If so, click on this link.

    Hello there, MarketWatchers. Check out the Moneyist private Facebook
    group, where we look for answers to life’s thorniest money issues.
    Readers write in to me with all sorts of dilemmas: inheritance, wills,
    divorce, tipping, gifting. I often talk to lawyers, accountants,
    financial advisers and other experts, in addition to offering my own
    thoughts. I receive more letters than I could ever answer, so I’ll be bringing all of that guidance — including some you might not see in
    these columns — to this group. Post your questions, tell me what you
    want to know more about, or weigh in on the latest Moneyist columns.


    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)